Forge Action Day 2019
Saturday 7th September | Castle Combe

Club stand display | Exclusive Club track session | The ever popular drift team displays | Show and Shine competitions & more

£15 per car (Admits the driver and up to 3 Passengers) | Under 17's go FREE! And do not need a ticket.

Want to do my first track day ever - What do I need?

sztriki
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Velocity Red

Re: Basic track day prep advice please

Post by sztriki » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:07 pm

warpc0il wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:40 am
Brake pad wear is hugely accelerated if/when you get them above a critical temperature, which in turn is governed by how hard you brake, the layout of the track (so if they get any chance to cool between hard stops) and how long you stay out.

As a novice I'd recommend that you only stay out for 15 minutes at a time and do a slow down lap before pulling into the pits.

This has many advantages;
- the shear physical and mental effort is reduced, such that you're more likely to make it through the day
- shorter sessions with longer gaps in between gives the muscle memory and mental processes a chance to sink-in, such that each session should be faster/smoother.
- peak temperatures are reduced and the car also has a chance to cool between sessions. Leave in-gear with handbrake off.

I've not driven Bedford but a whole day at Blyton Park I'd go through about a 3rd of the new front Mintex road pads, by keeping the sessions short.

Others were staying out for 20-25 minutes and running their pads down to the metal.
Thanks very much. The plan is to go for a 15 mins spin, park the car for 10-15 mins, then my friend takes it for a 15 mins spin and so on.
I'll aim to have at least half the pad there then, sounds like that should be okay.

benedwards64
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Post by benedwards64 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:41 pm

Yep, Bedford's a long track so really you'll want an out lap, one (max two) flying laps and an in lap. It's not *too* hard on brakes but there are a couple of hard stops (such as the hairpin at the end of the back straight) where you'll find out very quickly if your brakes are too hot :lol:
These users thanked the author benedwards64 for the post:
sztriki (Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:16 pm)

sztriki
Club Member
Club Member

Post by sztriki » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:17 pm

benedwards64 wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:41 pm
Yep, Bedford's a long track so really you'll want an out lap, one (max two) flying laps and an in lap. It's not *too* hard on brakes but there are a couple of hard stops (such as the hairpin at the end of the back straight) where you'll find out very quickly if your brakes are too hot :lol:
Also contemplating Brands Hatch, depending on how it would work with a visit I'm having in October. Any preference between these two? In general and if there's anything on brakes.

benedwards64
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Post by benedwards64 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:29 pm

Never driven Brands, much to my shame! Bedford is a good first track though, loads of space and plenty of run off. Just spend some time on YouTube before you go, it's a long track to learn otherwise.
These users thanked the author benedwards64 for the post:
sztriki (Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:00 pm)

SeriousSam
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by SeriousSam » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:20 am

Brands is bloody excellent, I drive it once a year in December and I love it. Short enough to learn in a morning, but technical enough to keep me going back. As for brakes it's not too terrible, but brake wear depends as much on your driving style as it does the track. Keep the sessions short, get some tuition, and build your skills gradually. If you go out and spend half an hour per session braking at the very last moment as hard as you can, then you can end up turning even track-spec pads to smoke in no time.
These users thanked the author SeriousSam for the post:
sztriki (Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:01 pm)
To Do List: HKS CAMP2 install; cruise control; new exhaust; detail paintwork, possible respray

Done: Hayward Rotary rebuild and stage 2 port; Racing Beat ARBs, adjustable front droplinks, ram air intake and lightened flywheel; Exedy stage 1 clutch; Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs; Koyo radiator; heated front screen; EBC redstuff pads all round

Return to “Trackday Information & FAQ's”