First RX-8 track day

Equipment that may be needed plus general information on track days.
Nath6349
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Velocity Red
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

First RX-8 track day

Post by Nath6349 »

Hi All,

I've recently got an RX-8 and rather keen to go on a track day with it. Just had a couple of questions about how they run, where they are etc...

I did a track day experience last year in some supercars which was really good fun. How different is this?

I have a friend with an MX-5 and we've been looking at the mazdaontrack website and events. What are these like?

What's a good track day for a 'relative' novice? How long do you typically get driving on the track?

The Blyton Park one in April is tempting me. It's not too far from me but are there likely to be similar events in the North West? Is this a good one to do?
Will66
Media Team
Media Team
Colour: Metropolitan Grey

Re: First RX-8 track day

Post by Will66 »

Trackdays are very different from supercar experiences, there is not an instructor next to you telling you to slow down (unless you want one) and you can drive as hard as you feel capable of achieving.

Mazdaontrack are good and their events generally run really well.

Blyton is an ideal track for a novice. There's not a lot to hit and it's a hard place to get things badly wrong. In terms of time on track, an Open Pit Lane day will give you the most access to the track you can get. Basically provided there aren't too many cars on the track you can go out as often as you want and stay out for as long as you want. I wouldn't do more than 20 minutes at a stretch because you'll overheat stuff like tyres and brakes and dramatically increase their wear rate. Best advice I can give is have a go, it's a lot of fun!
RX8OC Met Advisor and Ex-Moderator!
Miss May 2013 with these modifications02 November 2012

Certified Tarmac Terrorist! Evading the colour police since March 2013 :ninja:

Mazda RX8 - The Liv Tyler's Lips of Motoring
Shagrington
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 192
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by Shagrington »

If you are considering Blyton in April, have you seen this one? http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/vi ... 00&t=56407
'Grington.
former Club Treasurer 2010-18 (now finally retired) \:D/
Silver 192 green interior LEDS, Nordic Green hoop spoiler, roof inserts and wheels Silver Stripes (now finally retired) :cry:
Matt8
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by Matt8 »

As per Will - open pit are best (IMHO) - try taking a look at the Javelin site. Bedford autodrome is also good - lots of run off & quite wide
Conan
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Conan »

Hi Nath6349,
The club track day at Blyton would definateley be a great day for your first track day. Same cars and like minded people with loads of runoff although you won,t need it. This will be the perfect first time experience for you.
regards
Pete
Events Coordinator. 2014 to 2017

I’m an expert in nothing....I have made mistakes in everything
Nerdstrike
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Nerdstrike »

I'm a novice too, and having a more experienced person in the car giving you some guidance is great, nearly essential. An instructor is one way, or a club member can be sometimes as good. Two club members (thanks Wil and Malcolm(?)!) did a grand job of helping me get to grips with a track when I lacked confidence. There's a lot to take in the first time out.

I was rather alarmed by the "novice day" I went to, which included a Skyline going backward into a wall. I felt that there were a lot of numpties around who were a threat to me as much of themselves, not to mention a sizeable number of stripped out track toys that were clearly not first-timers. I came away unscathed and had a good day, but I'd be wary of future beginner days.
Nath6349
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Nath6349 »

Shagrington wrote:If you are considering Blyton in April, have you seen this one? http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/vi ... 00&t=56407
Thanks for this info. I hadn't seen this one but I have now just signed up and paid! Really like the idea of doing my first track day with the rx8oc.

A friend of mine might come along as a spectator, is there any issues with him being a passenger as I drive?

Any of you going?

Look forward to meeting lots of rex owners :-)
Conan
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Conan »

hi Nath,
Well done on joining up and getting in on the track day.
It will be my first time at Blyton as well although I have done a few laps at most circuits. There will be lots of us there and plenty of passenger rides on hand to. It,s good to do a few laps with some of the more experienced guys during the day. I think It,s £10 for a passenger wristband and your mate can stay out on track all day then.
See you there
Pete

casey
Events Team Member
Events Team Member

Post by casey »

Well done on signing up for the Blyton trackday =D>

I don't think you could have a better event to do your first trackday. As conann said, this is a track where there is virtually nothing to hit, there are loads of other experienced "8" owners on hand; some of whom know the car inside out, others with 30+ trackdays in 8's under their belt. I'm sure you'll enjoy the day immensely and just ask for any help you need as we are a friendly bunch.

A few bits of advice, please ignore if you've read widely and know your stuff already!

If you really plan to go "all out", bring a set of spare brakepads with you (esp for the fronts). If you wear them out during the day, many of us can help change all pads on an axle in ~30 minutes, and you'll find plenty of tools will be on hand if needed. If the fronts (or rears) are already 75% or more worn, it might be worth changing them before your arrive. And bring a spare litre of oil. As the car will (or should!! :D ) be running at 6000-9000 rpm in several 15 minutes stints, there will be a lot of oil metered into the engine by design. I use half to one litre of oil on spirited trackday - check oil level frequently during the day, but don't fill more than 3/4 to 7/8. Over-fill might result in oil surging back into the air intake. Tyre wear shouldn't be a major issue, but it's best to arrive with a minimum of 3mm tread all round.

As conann said, try and get a passenger ride with one (or more) of the many experienced trackday members early on the day to give you some pointers. Also worth considering a professional tuition session too. I've driven Blyton 4 times previously, others have driven it several times too.

Look forward to meeting you.
Essex Rotary Full Bridgeport
Seibon Carbon Fibre Bonnet, "Racing Brake" front calipers, Racing Beat (RB) ARB's F&R, RB REVI intake, full RB Stainless Steel Exhaust & Mani, 20mm Eibach spacers, KOYO Ali Rad, Lightened Fly, Tein MonoFlex coilovers & strut brace, Axial short-shifter, BHR Coils & Engine Mounts, Greddy Sump
Federal 595RS-R or Rainsport 3
tractorboy
Former Member
Former Member

Post by tractorboy »

I'm wondering how many novices or inexperienced drivers will be there. The MOT "first 20 minutes for novices only" session at Snetterton was brilliant for my daughter. She drove the sighting laps and then had the luxury of several un-intimidating laps to gain some confidence. Could we do something similar at Blyton?

Bob

PS Having decided to sod the money and go to Blyton, I may now have a hospital appointment on Saturday morning. Doh!!
Sold in 2017: Velocity Red RX-8 231 '04, Acquired Nov 2009, 1st RX-8
Conan
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Conan »

Don,t worry!!
If It,s NHS it will be postponed the day before!
If It,s not I,m sure your offspring will step into the breach and take your car for a drive without you!!

Shagrington
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Shagrington »

tractorboy wrote:I'm wondering how many novices or inexperienced drivers will be there. The MOT "first 20 minutes for novices only" session at Snetterton was brilliant for my daughter. She drove the sighting laps and then had the luxury of several un-intimidating laps to gain some confidence. Could we do something similar at Blyton?
That was the way it was arrranged for the last 2 years - sighting laps followed by novice, intermediate and experienced drivers sessions and open pit for the afternoon. I'd imagine it will be the same this time.

Nath6349 - well done, good to see you're coming too. =D>
'Grington.
Silver 192 green interior LEDS, Nordic Green hoop spoiler, roof inserts and wheels Silver Stripes (now finally retired) :cry:
Nath6349
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Nath6349 »

casey wrote:If you really plan to go "all out", bring a set of spare brakepads with you (esp for the fronts). If you wear them out during the day, many of us can help change all pads on an axle in ~30 minutes, and you'll find plenty of tools will be on hand if needed. If the fronts (or rears) are already 75% or more worn, it might be worth changing them before your arrive.
Good point about the brakes, they have been squeaking a bit so this might be worth checking. Not sure if they are worn or just squeaky. Is there an easy way to check or should I get someone experienced to look?

Might be worth investing in some spare brake pads and checking them either before or at the event. Any brake pads in particular I should be looking to get?

Cheers
Nerdstrike
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Nerdstrike »

Tractorboy above was getting reasonable life out of standard Pagid pads, decent quality and they don't turn to mist when they see the track. You wouldn't want to spank them for 20 minutes. Authentic Mintex will do too, but again their resilience to heavy use is very limited.

I fitted some Hawk HPS prior to Snetterton, which did me just fine for the day's action and drove ok on the road too. EBC Yellowstuff is popular too and a little cheaper than the HPS. Neither of these pads will withstand extended abuse but take heat a lot better than the normal pads and increase substantially in bite once they're warmed up. There are more high spec pads out there too, but the higher the spec, the poorer they are on the road, and the more wear they inflict on the discs.

Squeaks can be down to inadequately greased shims or the odd stone chip caught by the pad and digging a groove. You can get a good look at discs and pad meat just by taking the wheel off.
Nath6349
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Nath6349 »

Hi Guys,

I'm very excited for the weekend. Me and a mate will be arriving for 8am on Sat. I seem to have missed (until now) that there is a meal on the Saturday night. Has anyone got a link to a menu? And do I need to book in asap or can we decide on the day?

Would like to stay for the meal as I wont get to meet people the night before, but need to convince my friend who may have to pay £28 as he is not a member.
Boston Rotary
Forum Trader
Forum Trader
Colour: Custom

Post by Boston Rotary »

i can bring some disc and pads with me just in case you need them and some tools to do the job :)
Bigpete

Comp testing, parts for sale and fitting service, Servicing,
Repairs.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/BostonRotary

https://www.facebook.com/BostonRotary
Nath6349
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Nath6349 »

bigpete wrote:i can bring some disc and pads with me just in case you need them and some tools to do the job :)
I did get some mintex brake pads which I will bring along in case I need them, not got any discs.
Shagrington
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Shagrington »

Nath6349 wrote:Hi Guys,

I'm very excited for the weekend. Me and a mate will be arriving for 8am on Sat. I seem to have missed (until now) that there is a meal on the Saturday night. Has anyone got a link to a menu? And do I need to book in asap or can we decide on the day?

Would like to stay for the meal as I wont get to meet people the night before, but need to convince my friend who may have to pay £28 as he is not a member.
Send a PM to Graham (G3) to ask about booking the meal and menu choices etc - I don't know if it is too late to book it now, but if so I'm sure if there is any way to fit you in he will know it.
'Grington.
tmk
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Import

Post by tmk »

About brakes.. Getting some better brake pads than stock sounds good.

Is it smart to change brake pads at the track though, and run with them before they're bedded? Last time I drove with fresh brake pads the car would twitch left/right when braking at high speed (braking from 200kmh+ before a hairpin with brakes that acted weird was a bit scary). :-/
RX-8 (2011/PearlWhite) RE Amemiya Redom AType2.0 ECU+Super Intake Box+SportsCat,RMagic TunedMuffler TitanCut,5.125 Final,Tein MonoSport w/EDFC,WedsSport SA55mMGM 18x9.0J,Neova AD08R 245/40/R18,Dixcel SD+IDI GT2 brakes,AutoExe MemberBraceSet, Bride GIAS Carbon,HPI 4pt,MOMO,TRUST InfoTouch+LEG83005,YupiteruGWR53sd,Carrozzeria http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/vi ... 04&t=55428
casey
Events Team Member
Events Team Member

Post by casey »

I would recommend driving off the circuit and onto local the roads for a short while to do the initial bedding in of brakes. That's what I do anyway, but I do try to avoid changing pads at a trackday by changing pads prior, if I think they won't last a the full day.
Essex Rotary Full Bridgeport
Seibon Carbon Fibre Bonnet, "Racing Brake" front calipers, Racing Beat (RB) ARB's F&R, RB REVI intake, full RB Stainless Steel Exhaust & Mani, 20mm Eibach spacers, KOYO Ali Rad, Lightened Fly, Tein MonoFlex coilovers & strut brace, Axial short-shifter, BHR Coils & Engine Mounts, Greddy Sump
Federal 595RS-R or Rainsport 3
Nath6349
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Nath6349 »

Thanks for all the info here guys,

Really enjoyed the track day. Have summarised it here: http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/vi ... 24&t=57105

Return to “Trackday Information & FAQ's”