Stick to XT's not ET pads for hard track days

Equipment that may be needed plus general information on track days.
Will66
Media Team
Media Team
RX-8: 231
Colour: Metropolitan Grey

Re: Stick to XT's not ET pads for hard track days

Post by Will66 »

That wasn't quite at the level of the pad that was at Blyton although I'm impressed that you managed that!

Carry more speed from turn in to apex if you can. Means less braking!
RX8OC Met Advisor and Ex-Moderator!
Miss May 2013 with these modifications02 November 2012

Certified Tarmac Terrorist! Evading the colour police since March 2013 :ninja:

Mazda RX8 - The Liv Tyler's Lips of Motoring
RX8R3Rod
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Custom
Has thanked: 0

Post by RX8R3Rod »

Hi Ian,

It could well be the difference in air-flow causing varying heat and thus uneven wear, couldn't it? Though I hadn't clocked that by myself, I have to say. Really nice insight.

I'd lost all of my brake fluid by the time I got out of the circuit ... Made for an 'interesting' drive (as my handbrake wasn't up to much, either ...) until I found a hotel where the AA could recover me.

I'll try and do as you suggest Will, though when I asked Steve about my braking he reckoned I was relatively gentle (but I guess all such comparisons are, indeed, relative?).

Clive has sent me some firmer rear pads which should do the trick nicely, by the sound of it. =D>

And I'd have to once again say an enormous thanks to Clive.

It's with retailers like MRP that you really appreciate how much of a community this is.
Aluminium R3 Nov 2010
Tein Monosport EDFC Active coilovers, K-Sport BBK 8-pot forge 356mm front, 4-pot BBK 330 mm rear, 20" ATS Racelight, Michelin PS 4 245/30/20, Pettit exhaust, Pettit front and RB rear ARB's, Cusco strut and brake brace, Full Paintshieldx2, Rustmasterx2, and Rustbusterx2, M'Z Custom nose and rear skirts
190 Winning Blue 05-08, R3 Aurora Blue 08-10 ... fabulous friends
Conan
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Conan »

I,m speechless
Or perhaps I just shouldn,t say anything
Please moderate if my cynicism is unaceptable
Did you pay for tuition
If you did I can show you how to wreck your car for nothing next time

I,m glad you enjoyed your day apart from the obvious setbacks
Driving on track is about enjoyment, speed comes with practice
Events Coordinator. 2014 to 2017

I’m an expert in nothing....I have made mistakes in everything
Clive
Sponsor Trader
Sponsor Trader
RX-8: Supercharged
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by Clive »

conann wrote:If you did I can show you how to wreck your car for nothing next time
Don't worry Rod has had some free advise, gag the instructor tie his hands at his sides to stop even hand signals then place one medium sized egg between the foot and the brake pedal and lastly only put one gallon of petrol in the car to stop multiple laps :D

(Don't worry people Rod knows this is not a pop at him :mrgreen: )
REgards
Clive

http://www.racingbeateurope.com

We aim to help and assist our customers make the right choices for their Rotary, whether they be standard or modified. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us:-
sales@racingbeateurope.com or call 01474 777 800
RX8R3Rod
Former Member
Former Member

Post by RX8R3Rod »

Hi Clive, I'll run on a timer at Snetterton! That's not timing, but to carry the eggy thing a bit further, an egg-timer ... :D

Conann, you need the ARDS Superlicense first, I think? :D
Aluminium R3 Nov 2010
Tein Monosport EDFC Active coilovers, K-Sport BBK 8-pot forge 356mm front, 4-pot BBK 330 mm rear, 20" ATS Racelight, Michelin PS 4 245/30/20, Pettit exhaust, Pettit front and RB rear ARB's, Cusco strut and brake brace, Full Paintshieldx2, Rustmasterx2, and Rustbusterx2, M'Z Custom nose and rear skirts
RX8R3Rod
Former Member
Former Member

Post by RX8R3Rod »

Well, Clive very, very kindly serviced the calipers for me and I got them back on Saturday morning. Quick or what?

Spent the weekend (excluding rainy periods) refitting the set of XT 970 pads I already had at home on the front and some seemingly rock-hard Hawk things Clive sent me for the rear. These look like they won't wear out quickly!! Though apparently I will to have to watch it a little bit, as they may make the rear a tad twitchy as it'll be carrying a touch more of the braking load compared to normal pads. (Small aside, but it seems to me this kind of advice based on experience is invaluable. In a similar way to Robbie recommending the Direzza's, which seemed to me incredibly well suited to the car.)

Then bled the system, only to find there was still plenty of air. #-o

Did it all again this morning, and no apparent air left in the system, so took it for the 'Race' RB brake-bedding procedure. Discs and pads ended up scorching hot (which I guess is the aim?) but nice smooth braking, no soft pedals and no leaks. :D

I'll take it for a good final work-out tomorrow, and also change the oil (used 1 litre in the 70 or so minutes on track at Bedford) etc ready for Snetterton on Thursday.

Thanks again Clive! That was definitely way above and beyond the call. =D>
Aluminium R3 Nov 2010
casey
Events Team Member
Events Team Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by casey »

Well done to Clive for helping out and great to hear your brakes are sorted again now :D
RX8R3Rod wrote:...ready for Snetterton on Thursday......>
Rod, did you get the special MSV £99 price for the full OPL "Road Car Only" day there? Are you on your own this time, or will Steve Lewis be there too?

There's just a faint chance I might be able to pop up to Snetterton on Thursday sometime. Maybe if a passenger ride was on offer I'd try to make it happen. Would bring a camera along too...........
Essex Rotary Full Bridgeport
Seibon Carbon Fibre Bonnet, "Racing Brake" front calipers, Racing Beat (RB) ARB's F&R, RB REVI intake, full RB Stainless Steel Exhaust & Mani, 20mm Eibach spacers, KOYO Ali Rad, Lightened Fly, Tein MonoFlex coilovers & strut brace, Axial short-shifter, BHR Coils & Engine Mounts, Greddy Sump
Federal 595RS-R or Rainsport 3
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

TOP TIP: To get the last bit of air out of the system...
find a steep hill and park nose down
with the engine running press the brake pedal down hard and hold for about a minute
slooooowly release the pressure on the pedal.

This will cause the small bubble trapped in the front of the master cylinder to rise up and out into the reservoir.

If you have a mate with you, open the bonnet and remove the reservoir cap first, they may see the bubble break the surface within the fluid.

Anyway, this should make the pedal just that little bit firmer and more positive.

It works best when the engine bay is warm, so you can just do it next time you're out-and-about and come across a suitable slope.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
RX8R3Rod
Former Member
Former Member

Post by RX8R3Rod »

Thanks Dave, that's a top tip indeed! I shall deploy with immediate effect!! =D>

Casey, hi. Yes, I reckon I owe Clive a whole heap there ... but in true Clive style he's 'just helping' and having none of it.

I'll be there with Steve, and you're more than welcome if you have the time. :D
Aluminium R3 Nov 2010
RX8R3Rod
Former Member
Former Member

Post by RX8R3Rod »

Dave's top tip worked (as he no doubt knew it would ....) and a new set of XT pads at the front and the Hawks at the rear as Clive suggested easily lasted the day at Snetterton, which was wet but we still got a whole lot of laps in getting on for 2.5 hours total time on track. (I hasten to add after last week, this was not all in one go #-o ) =D> =D>

And Malcolm dropped by to say hi, chat and take some photo's, too. How nice was that? :D

So thanks to all for a really good day, free from any (self-inflicted) parts-related hassle. :mrgreen:
Aluminium R3 Nov 2010
casey
Events Team Member
Events Team Member

Post by casey »

Rod just beat me to it :lol:

I had a great time chatting with Rod and Steve Lewis at a very quiet and damp Snetterton earlier today. Pic of Rod driving and Steve Lewis (ARDS instructor) giving some tuition.

I think he's saying drive straight down the straight :wink: :D ......
Attachments
Main straight at Snetterton
Main straight at Snetterton
Rod1b.jpg (91.63 KiB) Viewed 2804 times
Seibon Carbon Fibre Bonnet, "Racing Brake" front calipers, Racing Beat (RB) ARB's F&R, RB REVI intake, full RB Stainless Steel Exhaust & Mani, 20mm Eibach spacers, KOYO Ali Rad, Lightened Fly, Tein MonoFlex coilovers & strut brace, Axial short-shifter, BHR Coils & Engine Mounts, Greddy Sump
casey
Events Team Member
Events Team Member

Post by casey »

More complicated instruction, using both hands....
:shock:
Seriously though, Steve is a first class instructor!
Attachments
Rod2b.jpg
Rod2b.jpg (92.09 KiB) Viewed 2803 times
casey
Events Team Member
Events Team Member

Post by casey »

The lighting was pretty bad, and the sun at awkward angle, but this kinda worked I think....
Attachments
Rod3b.jpg
Rod3b.jpg (91.77 KiB) Viewed 2803 times
casey
Events Team Member
Events Team Member

Post by casey »

All good things have to come to an end............of session.............
Attachments
Rod4b.jpg
Rod4b.jpg (84.26 KiB) Viewed 2803 times
RX8R3Rod
Former Member
Former Member

Post by RX8R3Rod »

Great photo's - thanks again Malcolm. That one into the sun seems a real corker (and technically very tricky =D> )

The 2-handed thing was possibly for conducting us singing a well-known Mazda racing song ... or possibly reminding me I was meant to have both hands on the wheel ... :oops: or something ...

Steve is definitely a first-class instructor. :D
Aluminium R3 Nov 2010
Bulldog
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by Bulldog »

Nice pics Rod :)

Well done Malcolm for popping over
It is by going down into the abyss that we recover the treasures of life. Where you stumble, there lies your treasure.

More info in my project thread

Worry about your character, not your reputation. Your character is who you are, and your reputation is who people think you are.
Conan
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Conan »

HOLY ROTOR CHATTER!!
I,m curious now, I realise this is a long time ago but could you describe this late braking technique to us?
Events Coordinator. 2014 to 2017

I’m an expert in nothing....I have made mistakes in everything
Flameshades
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Turbo
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by Flameshades »

Rod car is looking fantastic in that pic (brakes not so much) gutted i didnt make it to bedford but soon!!!
RX8R3Rod
Former Member
Former Member

Post by RX8R3Rod »

Cheers Mate, Bedford seems a really nice circuit to me, with nice wide runoffs that help with confidence :D

Pete, it may be as earlier in the thread when Malcolm / Ian talked about the uneven wear due to heat. All was absolutely going fine (braking later and later), no trace of fade, and then .... all of a sudden only enough to get me (just) around the hairpin.

My fault entirely. I had the XT's in the garage but as I'd just got a brand new set of ET's on I assumed they'd be fine, and they got to that state in just a morning plus one afternoon session. But I was (for me) pushing very hard, and the ET's are marketed as a road and occasional track pad (and seem to me really good in that role) where I suspect I was using them in the manner of a dedicated track pad?

I should have checked between sessions, of course, and I knew from a previous outing at Blyton I'd eaten a set of ET's in a day and a half; just thought they'd last the day at Bedford. :oops: You talk about making mistakes ... that's me making one of mine. #-o

A small thing I'd point out as well to anyone around the braking thing is the collateral damage something like this can do to your car (apart from the obvious one of not being able to stop). If you've not had it happen, when the pistons extend like this, the brake fluid seeps out and the spokes on the wheels throw brake fluid up the side of the car. Normally that would mean lovely ruined paintwork; not exactly what you want on your pride and joy.

Luckily mine was covered in Paintshield clear 'plastic' covering, so a quick work over with the DA polisher and all was as good as new, absolutely no trace of damage. But without it, that would have been a seriously expensive incident involving close to a total respray to get the colour matching right over the panels. Don't do what I did :!:

Also, for potential track-day ers, on a purely aesthetic note you may find your car gets covered in a layer of sticky rubber bits and they can take a fair bit of time and effort to remove afterwards (though that may be the nature of the Paintshield and electrostatic attraction?), especially if one hasn't got access to a polisher.
Aluminium R3 Nov 2010
Harrizone
Founder Member
Founder Member
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by Harrizone »

There is a photo around somewhere of my car after a track day with about 3 kilos of rubber having been deposited in the recess between the wing and my side skirt. :lol: Not from my tyres I might add, but just what they had picked up of the edges of the track, usually referred to as marbles in F1, but instead this was bits of tread.
Now a distant memory unfortunately.
Mazda Rotary Parts
Former Trader
Former Trader

Post by Mazda Rotary Parts »

May help to know that we are now offering a complete set of pads for the serious track-day driver who has the standard RX-8 braking system on this link below.

http://www.mazdarotaryparts.com/bmazda- ... 1771-p.asp
REgards
Clive

http://www.mazdarotaryparts.com
http://www.racingbeateurope.com
We aim to help and assist our customers make the right choices for their Rotary, whether they be standard or modified. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us:-
sales@racingbeateurope.com or call 01474 777 800

Return to “Trackday Information & FAQ's”