What is holding you back from taking your car on track?

Equipment that may be needed plus general information on track days.
Bulldog
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Sunlight Silver

What is holding you back from taking your car on track?

Post by Bulldog »

In standard form the 8 is a fantastic track day car.

I am wondering why more OC members dont take the plunge and see what their cars can really do on the track. So if you've not been on track before can you say why?
It is by going down into the abyss that we recover the treasures of life. Where you stumble, there lies your treasure.

More info in my project thread

Worry about your character, not your reputation. Your character is who you are, and your reputation is who people think you are.
JDM-Ben
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: What is holding you back?

Post by JDM-Ben »

Yeah come on guys lol
MEISTER R COILOVERS-ROTA GRID ALLOYS-FALKEN 452 TYRES-GREDDY EXHAUST/REAR STRUT-PG TIPS MONKEY- MAZDASPEED OIL CAP- CARBON BONNET-HKS OIL FILTER-BHR COILS ETC-D2 8POT BBK- RAMAIR CAI-GREDDY RAD CAP-TAKATA HARNESS-RB DECAT-R888 TYRES-EBC BRAKES-POLY WINDOWS-MRP HEATED SCREEN-FULL CAGE
DanBass
Media Team
Media Team
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Post by DanBass »

As Ben knows its solely a time issue for me, in that I have none! :(
'96 NA8 MX-5: MeisterR, and soon to be choo-choo'd
'56 Galaxy Grey PZ: sold

'54 Brilliant Black 192: sold
'54 Titanium Grey 192: rebuilt, sold
'53 plate Velocity Red 192: being rebuilt...still

‘67 Sunset Orange BMW 335D MSport Touring
'01 Topaz Blue BMW 330ci convertible
Phil Bate
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by Phil Bate »

I'll add to this :)

I have wanted to do a track day for years but never really had the sort of car. I even came close to doing one in my old Omega, sure I would have had some funny looks but that thing could shift and was hilarious in the bends. When that had to go I was just looking for a cheap runaround until I completed my house, but on discovering the used prices I had to get the Rex. Then, seeing how much some of you do this and how many events there are to choose from I have been chomping at the bit.

I almost did this year but the main reason I avoided it is the brand new ditch finders it came fitted with. Connan Pete did tell me not to worry about them and drive to accomodate them, but honestly these autogrips don't grip, they would have been shredded in a few laps. (And this is my daily car)

Instead I have pottered around on them using money to change all the other bits that needed doing, and now junked them for some winter tyres until next season. I will then be getting some tasty UHP mumbers and joining you!

Phil
Phil's subtle sunlight silver - stronger, faster, with added red bits and stuff engine donor!
Operation Mint - Kuro preservation project
The pimped out Glacier White XE - quintessential British motoring from Jaguar
JDM-Ben
Former Member
Former Member

Post by JDM-Ben »

Phil I will lend you a set of wheels and tyres lol
MEISTER R COILOVERS-ROTA GRID ALLOYS-FALKEN 452 TYRES-GREDDY EXHAUST/REAR STRUT-PG TIPS MONKEY- MAZDASPEED OIL CAP- CARBON BONNET-HKS OIL FILTER-BHR COILS ETC-D2 8POT BBK- RAMAIR CAI-GREDDY RAD CAP-TAKATA HARNESS-RB DECAT-R888 TYRES-EBC BRAKES-POLY WINDOWS-MRP HEATED SCREEN-FULL CAGE
robwrx282
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Metropolitan Grey

Post by robwrx282 »

I will do a track day again (the last one was with Nissan in 1997 :shock: ) but time is problem for me as I have a large young family and a business to run. I will make it a priority next year :D
No.106 of 400, Lockwood Grills, Wonky No. Plate, Toyosport DeCat Exhaust, Black Halo Racing Coils, Leads and Plugs fitted @22k, 20mm Eibach Spacers.
Ephraim
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Prospective Buyer

Post by Ephraim »

Money. The cost of the day, the fear that I'll need new tyres/pads/etc after a day of razzing it about. It seems like a very expensive day and so it's kept me from it as I'm not exactly minted.
Diesel Volvo S60 D5. The last word in excitement.

Formerly a 2007 Brilliant black PZ; Magnecor leads and K&N panel filter, Parrot Mki9200, Ultra Hi-flow Cat, bits of tree.
Formerly a 231 in Titanium Grey.

Member of Redditch and District Car Club
Dadiodude
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Post by Dadiodude »

That's probably true for many of us. Second set of wheels and tyres, almost certainy a pad upgrade and possibly a change after the event. Travel, accommodation, track fees etc and not forgetting insurance. It all adds up.

I'd like to do some track days at some point but I'll have to wait until there's some cash to burn :)
"very funny Scotty - now beam down my clothes"

2008 40th Anniversary in Crystal White Pearl
Mazda Aero Kit, Coded Rear, Custom Cat Back, Vent Pod and Depo Gauges, Pipercross, Redline Trans Oils, Blue Calipers, Eibach 20mm Spacers, Rays Wheelnuts, LEDs, Leather Gaiter, Oh! and a Dangly Air Freshener

To Do: What's cheap?
Will66
Media Team
Media Team

Post by Will66 »

You can do a track day on an entirely standard RX8 quite happily.
RX8OC Met Advisor and Ex-Moderator!
Miss May 2013 with these modifications02 November 2012

Certified Tarmac Terrorist! Evading the colour police since March 2013 :ninja:

Mazda RX8 - The Liv Tyler's Lips of Motoring
DannyMRICS
Former Member
Former Member

Post by DannyMRICS »

Only just got mine, and am on the verge of a track day. Have wanted to do one for (20 :oops:) years, but would have need the car in as well.

Now I have the Rex, definitely something I will do, but the nearest to Bournemouth is over 2 hours away I think! I would definitely like some on-road tuition and track tuition (not that I need it :roll: ).

Danny
'07 231 RX8 in velocity red (20 Sept 2012, 29k mi).

Done: New Cat, drop links, discs and pads (31k mi); Falken 452s, mats (29k mi); NGK spark plugs, coils, Toyosport catback (26k); Magnecor leads, K&N filter (24k).

To do: Repair ding, Lockwood grilles, Surf City valet.

http://www.sutherlandsurveyors.co.uk
casey
Events Team Member
Events Team Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by casey »

I 100% echo what Will said about taking a standard car. I did this for my first few trackdays and had enormous fun in a standard car. Because I got the trackday bug I then started to mod the car to optimise it for track driving, without undue compromise for road use.

If you are lucky enough to have a track within "day travel" from your home then you can save on fuel and overnight costs. Don't worry about tyre wear, it's unlikely to be significant (unless you try drifting every corner, in which case you'd be black flagged anyway :D ). A spare set of front pads, just in case, and some oil (half a litre or so) is all you'll need. Rear brake pad wear is minimal on a standard setup. If you come along to one of the days where a bunch of us turn up then we've pretty much have several sets of tools on hand as well.

So, if you are close to a track, with some trackdays at around £100, all you have to add is fuel for the day, a spare set of front pads, helmet hire at £10 (if you don't have one), and some oil. Bring some sandwiches and drinks and you can save on buying food at the track too. Insurance is optional, but could cost you £75+, depending on the value of your car.

The best trackday for anyone to start with, and on a budget, is the AGM Blyton trackday next year, assuming you are within reasonable distance from the track. Even if you have to stay overnight, you don't have to stay at the AGM hotel or stay for the AGM, you can still get a cheap Travelodge or cheap B&B in the area. As it's a club exclusive day at a track where there is very little to hit, insurance is something you could forego (at your own risk of course).
Essex Rotary Full Bridgeport
Seibon Carbon Fibre Bonnet, "Racing Brake" front calipers, Racing Beat (RB) ARB's F&R, RB REVI intake, full RB Stainless Steel Exhaust & Mani, 20mm Eibach spacers, KOYO Ali Rad, Lightened Fly, Tein MonoFlex coilovers & strut brace, Axial short-shifter, BHR Coils & Engine Mounts, Greddy Sump
Federal 595RS-R or Rainsport 3
casey
Events Team Member
Events Team Member

Post by casey »

DannyMRICS wrote:Now I have the Rex, definitely something I will do, but the nearest to Bournemouth is over 2 hours away I think! I would definitely like some on-road tuition and track tuition (not that I need it :roll: ).

Danny
Hi Danny, I reckon Brands Hatch and Castle Combe are the closest to you, both ~2-2.5hrs hours I guess? Thruxton would be closer, but they don't seem to offer many trackdays. My first couple of trackdays in my standard car were at Brands Hatch. It's quite a short circuit and easy to learn, but also has a wide variety of corners and gradients. It's not a bad track for a first outing, given that Blyton is quite a trek for you.

If you tag along to a trackday where there is at least one of the "regulars" then we are only too willing to offer advice to get you started. We operated a "buddy" system at Cadwell Park last month for the first time which seemed to work well. Basically, 4 experienced trackies paired up with people who were new (or relatively new) to trackdays and the "buddies" stayed together as much as was needed for the first part of the day, taking passenger rides to show lines, etc, until the "newbie" felt they were OK to go solo. It turned out we had some very capable trackday drivers who were soon buzzing around very confidently!
Seibon Carbon Fibre Bonnet, "Racing Brake" front calipers, Racing Beat (RB) ARB's F&R, RB REVI intake, full RB Stainless Steel Exhaust & Mani, 20mm Eibach spacers, KOYO Ali Rad, Lightened Fly, Tein MonoFlex coilovers & strut brace, Axial short-shifter, BHR Coils & Engine Mounts, Greddy Sump
Phil Bate
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by Phil Bate »

Good thread, this is becoming very informative. Does much go on over the winter then or does it quiten down until spring?
Phil's subtle sunlight silver - stronger, faster, with added red bits and stuff engine donor!
Will66
Media Team
Media Team

Post by Will66 »

It's generally a bit quieter over the winter, however there are a few trackdays and they're generally cheaper, they're often wet though.

DannyMRICS
Former Member
Former Member

Post by DannyMRICS »

casey wrote: I reckon Brands Hatch and Castle Combe are the closest to you, both ~2-2.5hrs hours I guess?

Thanks casey,

Yes, that's what I reckoned too. I'm sure I read about on-road tuition too?

Danny.

Done: New Cat, drop links, discs and pads (31k mi); Falken 452s, mats (29k mi); NGK spark plugs, coils, Toyosport catback (26k); Magnecor leads, K&N filter (24k).

DanBass
Media Team
Media Team
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Post by DanBass »

Agree with Phil. I have no problem with spare pads or anything like that for the day, and would love to do a track day, I've done a few driving experience type things in the past and they've been awesome.

I'll look at this more after Christmas I think, as the first quarter of the year things tend to die down a bit in work too. Phil mate if you want to look at doing this as well perhaps we can look at one at the same time, it'd be good fun I think.
'96 NA8 MX-5: MeisterR, and soon to be choo-choo'd
'56 Galaxy Grey PZ: sold

'54 Brilliant Black 192: sold
'54 Titanium Grey 192: rebuilt, sold
'53 plate Velocity Red 192: being rebuilt...still

‘67 Sunset Orange BMW 335D MSport Touring
'01 Topaz Blue BMW 330ci convertible
Shaunzrx
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 192
Location: Home Town: Harrogate, now living in Fernhill Heath, Worcester

Post by Shaunzrx »

Had my Rex 3 years now so it's about time I had a go at this, next year for sure :)
(Acquired Rex Sept 2009)..... (Now Sold) Click>>>> "My Personal Car Project"
tractorboy
Former Member
Former Member

Post by tractorboy »

Cost. No helmet. Will be pretty crap at it. Shame as I'm not far from Snetterton.

Bob
Sold in 2017: Velocity Red RX-8 231 '04, Acquired Nov 2009, 1st RX-8
casey
Events Team Member
Events Team Member

Post by casey »

Not much usually takes place over the period Jan/February, but then the "season" starts again on March 16th with the Club AGM and trackday weekend - a trackday at Blyton on the Saturday and club AGM on the Sunday. You don't have to attend the AGM, but if you do you will get a subsidy towards the costs. It was a cracking weekend last year!

AGM+Blyton Trackday link

After that, we have, for the last two years, done multiple track sessions at Japfest, Castle Combe in May. We'll probably do the same again next year. We easily filled 4 sessions of 20 cars each last year.

I have, for the past few years, picked ~4 trackdays and invited people to join me. I've tried to spread them throughout the year and also through the country (with apologies to those in the very far North and Scotland as Croft is pretty much the limit for me to travel).

In fact, I've just posted up this thread to gauge views on tracks for next year;

Trackdays 2013 - your input

These events have generally attracted between 10 and 20 cars, so there's been an excellent social side to the days as well.

I'm also VERY pleased to see other people posting up trackday dates they are attending and inviting others to join them. If we get people doing that we can build a very lively calendar of trackday events. Personally, I'd really encourage anyone who is close to UK tracks to "adopt" their local track and post up an event they plan to attend and inviting others to join in. The price and availability of our cars is now at a level where we seem to be naturally finding a growing number of people who would like to do a trackday. I'd certainly think it's something that every owner should do at least once whilst they have ownership of an RX-8 :D
casey
Events Team Member
Events Team Member

Post by casey »

tractorboy wrote:Cost. No helmet. Will be pretty crap at it. Shame as I'm not far from Snetterton.

Bob
Bob, no excuse if you are close to such a fabulous track :D . You won't be crap, the car is so forgiving on track that if you enjoy driving on fast B roads, you'll have a lot of fun on track too. Helmet, no problem to hire on on the day for a tenner.
DannyMRICS
Former Member
Former Member

Post by DannyMRICS »

Just remembered what is holding me back -

I have a Toyosport catback and de-cat and am worried about the decibels.

Danny

Phil Bate
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by Phil Bate »

Dan - I will definately be up for this. Conann told me about [urlw=http://www.llandow.com/?page_id=50]Llandow[/urlw] circuit in the Cardiff area (I didn't know that was there), could be a fun quiet one to get some sneaky practice/tuition in early next year.
Will66
Media Team
Media Team

Post by Will66 »

DannyMRICS wrote:Just remembered what is holding me back -

I have a Toyosport catback and de-cat and am worried about the decibels.

Danny
You'll be fine.

Shaunzrx
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 192
Location: Home Town: Harrogate, now living in Fernhill Heath, Worcester

Post by Shaunzrx »

Sounds good! :) as a potential newbie track day gower is there a certain thread I can look at to see how track days work, little different to the meets iv been on lol looking for the idiots guide if there is such a thing ? Or is it a case of just turning up on the day...
(Acquired Rex Sept 2009)..... (Now Sold) Click>>>> "My Personal Car Project"
casey
Events Team Member
Events Team Member

Post by casey »

DannyMRICS wrote:
casey wrote: I reckon Brands Hatch and Castle Combe are the closest to you, both ~2-2.5hrs hours I guess?
Thanks casey,

Yes, that's what I reckoned too. I'm sure I read about on-road tuition too?

Danny.
There's no road based tuition on these days, but I, and others, are very happy to take anyone out on track to show them the standard cornering lines, braking points, etc (**), then sit in as a passenger to give some advise to the driver. I'd then strongly advise taking a professional tuition session, generally around £25 for 20 minutes, and well worth it.

** most tracks have cones positoned to show "turn-in" points and apexes to aim for on each corner. Some may also put out additional cones for braking points and corner exits. VERY rarely, no cones are present at all. Also, by lunchtime, a few apex cones may well have been knocked out of position, or run over, so they are not to be relied upon :lol:

Return to “Trackday Information & FAQ's”