Trackday Helmet

Equipment that may be needed plus general information on track days.
Bulldog
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Re: Trackday Helmet

Post by Bulldog »

I went up there today and tried on a number of open face helmets. I went for £36 quids worth of open face spada in matt black. [urlw=http://www.ghostbikes.com/products/Helm ... elmet.html]Link[/urlw] I look like a microphone on a stand with it on but hopefully they will let me on the track with it.

The viper helmets look pretty cool but the large was too small to allow my glasses to fit and there was too much movement in the XL.
It is by going down into the abyss that we recover the treasures of life. Where you stumble, there lies your treasure.

More info in my project thread

Worry about your character, not your reputation. Your character is who you are, and your reputation is who people think you are.
Zarterone
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Zarterone »

Starting tomorrow Lidl have got full face(flip up front) helmets for £40

hope the link works

http://www.lidl.co.uk/cps/rde/xchg/lidl ... _28927.htm
Paul

40th Anniversary in White no.323 gone but not forgotten.
MK3.75 MX5 Sport Venture (No hair products left in it overnight)
Ducati 899 Panigale see Avatar,Ducati 939 Hypermotard SP , and a Honda Grom
and not forgetting a Vauxhall Vivaro for work

I may be slow, but my works bad
Ross15
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Stormy Blue
Has thanked: 0

Aldi Motorcycle / Track day Helmet £30

Post by Ross15 »

Gents,

Happened to stop in Aldi yesterday by pure chance. Saw they had a motorcycle helmet for £30 and jumped at it for the use on track days.

For that price who can complain.

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/sp ... _13442.htm

Done some research on it and found this link to Pistonheads forum:
http://www.pistonheads.com/Gassing/topi ... 76289&nmt=

Aldi & Lidl motorcycle helmets are made to the EU ECE 22.05 (or Regulation 22) standard.

"Helmets certified to the ECE 22.05 standard are approved for competition events by AMA, CCS, FIM, Formula-USA and WERA and are chosen by nearly every professional motorcycle racers competing in world championship road racing, motocross and off road events, including the ultimate sport of Moto GP.

An advantage of the ECE 22.05 standard is the requirement for mandatory batch testing of helmets before they are released to the riding public. What this means to the consumer is the quality of the helmet in meeting the ECE 22.05 standard is assured by a mandatory sample testing of every production of helmets before they leave the factory, not with random testing performed after thousands of helmets with unknown quality are delivered to the dealers. "

They are top quality, the only difference is you're not paying for a big brand name & all of the marketing.

Ross
Tommi
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Galaxy Grey
Been thanked: 0

Re: Aldi Motorcycle / Track day Helmet £30

Post by Tommi »

Great trackday helmet but without sounding too negative, you have to remember you get what you pay for with safety equipment. Yes it may *just* pass ECE 22.05 standards but I would want something that goes above and beyond.

Important to note, for MSA UK racing you will need an FIA 8860 approved helmet and this may not pass. I also believe some tracks require FIA/MSA approved gear too.
PhilMac
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Import
Colour: Winning Blue

Re: Aldi Motorcycle / Track day Helmet £30

Post by PhilMac »

No Lid is going to be top quality at £30 - compromises have to be made to make it that cheap
Im not saying it isnt fit for purpose so long as the sizes on offer actually fit you properly and its treated carefully
(guessing it's a polycarbonate shell and they are susceptible to damage)

But I would save the money for something better, fitted properly !
casey
Events Team Member
Events Team Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by casey »

Mod: topics merged
Essex Rotary Full Bridgeport
Seibon Carbon Fibre Bonnet, "Racing Brake" front calipers, Racing Beat (RB) ARB's F&R, RB REVI intake, full RB Stainless Steel Exhaust & Mani, 20mm Eibach spacers, KOYO Ali Rad, Lightened Fly, Tein MonoFlex coilovers & strut brace, Axial short-shifter, BHR Coils & Engine Mounts, Greddy Sump
Federal 595RS-R or Rainsport 3
Ross15
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Stormy Blue

Post by Ross15 »

Apologies, the
"They are top quality, the only difference is you're not paying for a big brand name & all of the marketing."

was from the pistonheads forum and not my view.

Yeah i wouldnt wear it anywhere near a bike or if im racing but for the likes of Kames, knockhill etc should be ok.

PS. thanks for merging, forgot this topic existed.
BadgerFerret
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by BadgerFerret »

Sorry to be entering the fray quite so late on this...but after a good deal of research, was keen to share the below brand that I've stumbled across: http://www.v2sport.com/index.html. There's a good deal of discussion about them (the magic of google, but also especially on pistonheads.com), but the way I see it these seem to be a decent compromise between gettting a 'proper' car helmet (as opposed to a bike lid) and yet not spending hundreds of pounds. I shall be investing this week, and can report if people are interested...
The story so far: uprated ignition coils, magnecor leads, racing beat springs, swirl-grooved mintex discs, yellow stuff pads...
Kingsilverman
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Post by Kingsilverman »

If you want an SA2010 approved open faced helmet you can get them for about £110 from Hedtec. The real benefit for me is that their sizes go up to XXL which I need. Failing that you can get cheaper non SA2010 helmets from OMP which are to a good standard and less then £80.

If you want to get something really cheap then get it from Aldi, Lidls or whereever but always remember you get what you pay for and that helmets are there to protect you when things go wrong, which sometimes, despite all of the best planning etc, they do. If you cut corners on soemthing that may save your life what else will you cut corners on?
40th Anniversary RX8, 013 of 400.

Done - Lockwood Grills, SS Rotary Accent & Strakes, AF Short Shifter, black alloys, New discs, yellow stuff pads, Vredestein's, new coils, Hi Temp plugs, Magnecor leads, Black Eyelids, Eibach Pro + Springs, K&N filter, Kaaz 1.5 LSD. Petit Catback, RE:Worx engine rebuild at 59K, Refurb Gearbox. Braided Oil lines, New engine mounts. Defi Blue Racer gauges
Dadiodude
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 40th Anniversary

Post by Dadiodude »

I was going to buy a Happy Shopper one but on closer inspection it turned out to be a bloody leftover Halloween pumpkin. Happy ending though! I got them to knock a fiver off :)

My wife reckons that the quality of packaging should be directly proportionate to the value of the item being protected. To that end, she offered to knit me a helmet.

On a serious note, back in my biking days there was always one absolute certainty - if I splashed out on a nice lid it would be damaged, chipped, scored or scratched in no time and according to the manufacturer no longer waranteed to protect my noggin. If I got a cheapy it lasted ages.
"very funny Scotty - now beam down my clothes"

2008 40th Anniversary in Crystal White Pearl
Mazda Aero Kit, Coded Rear, Custom Cat Back, Vent Pod and Depo Gauges, Pipercross, Redline Trans Oils, Blue Calipers, Eibach 20mm Spacers, Rays Wheelnuts, LEDs, Leather Gaiter, Oh! and a Dangly Air Freshener

To Do: What's cheap?
Speedy36
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Speedy36 »

As you have probably read further up the thread.....I purchased a helmet from Lidl ......it only lasted 2 trackdays and the fliptop facia got stuck....luckily it was when I wasnt wearing it :oops:
Basically I tried to lift the fascia up and snap went the bracket in the lock down position luckily I wasnt wearing it :lol:

Got in contact with the manufacturers and they have sent me a brand new one with a different designed flip fascia....much stronger and different mechanism....all done FOC and with in 2 weeks of contacting them. Lidl would not honour the warranty!!!!

So if anyone has the same helmet just becareful.

Just thought I should let you all know incase.

8)
Sunlight Silver 231 2006 to 2008
Black Civic Type R EP3 Final Edition 2008 to 2009
Pearlescent R3 2009 to 2013 gone and sadly missed
MX5 Sport Tech 2013 to present 8)
Deadly_Viper
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Deadly_Viper »

Hein Gerike motorbike shops have gone into administration and are selling all their stock off cheap, I think they have at least 30% of helmets. Might be worth a look for a fairly decent one on a reduced price.
http://www.hein-gericke.co.uk/
~Nick~
Zarterone
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Zarterone »

Two things
you get what you pay for, why take the risk with a cheap helmet, you don't put cheap tyres on your car.

Hein-gericke UK have gone into administration ( they are hoping for a buy out)They are separate from Hein-Gericke a franchise if you like.
At the moment a lot of the better ( more common sizes) have already gone, but there is still bargains to have. A question mark remains about warranty though. Where do you go, if you have a problem, manufactors don't always want to know.
Paul

Speedy36
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Speedy36 »

Agree in part......If it was a helmet for a bike then agree quality big time but as its for a car i think it will do the job.
Plus there is some cheaper helmets on the market.

I was really surprised that the supplier actually sent me a new helmet without Proof of Purchase TBH but hey they should know of the time scale they sold the product.

IMHO I would prefer an open face helmet in the car so wish they had just refunded me lol

8)
Sunlight Silver 231 2006 to 2008
Black Civic Type R EP3 Final Edition 2008 to 2009
Pearlescent R3 2009 to 2013 gone and sadly missed
MX5 Sport Tech 2013 to present 8)
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

I bought an open face helmet specifically for track days, even though I have a high-quality full face bike helmet.

The open face has much less soundproofing and so the driving experience is much less alien with the helmet compared to driving on the road, plus there's an unrestricted view of the instruments, warning lights etc.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
Zarterone
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Zarterone »

It's not just the safety it's the comfort , the ventilation Dearer helmets have much better interiors, which are removable . During track days you trend to get very hot. So good ventilation and comfort is important, If you wear glasses cheaper helmets (full face) trend to steam up your glasses even with the visor open. I know this as I have both a cheap and an expensive helmet.
better helmets last longer, unless of course they get dropped,
Paul

WildMan10
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3

Post by WildMan10 »

Zarterone wrote: better helmets last longer, unless of course they get dropped,
Even then, I find they bounce better . . . . .
. . . . and even cheap ones don't crack now, unlike the polycarbonate ones that you could buy when I first started riding bikes (but that was 36 years ago)
Ian
Now back to one, a white R3. Gone but not forgotten: 04 Tit Grey 231, 06 Copper Red Evolve (231), 09 VR R3, 10 Aurora Blue R3, 06 Black PZ; RX87 13BREW project car ;-( ; 04 White with Greddy turbo conversion ;-(

Buying a used RX8 turbo is like marrying a stripper.
Beware - older people may be cr@p drivers but they can afford better lawyers
N1xon
Former Member
Former Member

Post by N1xon »

WildMan10 wrote: . . . . and even cheap ones don't crack now, unlike the polycarbonate ones that you could buy when I first started riding bikes (but that was 36 years ago)
This is wrong, modern polycarbonate helmets do still crack, and a lot more often than we know about. Most are are produced to a budget in two halves and bonded together over the top of the polystyrene lining. This leaves a structurally weak band across the lid. Manufacturers are clever though they place this structural weakness far enough away from the ece2205 test sites as to pass without any failures. However they do split when crashed on the road, because the road is a very different environment from the ECE test labs.

I have personally witnessed bad helmets crack and from several manufacturers. More worrying is that I have seen helmets from so called "premium Italian" brands arrive direct from the supplier cracked, before they have even come out of the box.

Source = Former helmet sales and now a Medic, having worked trackside.
N1xon
Former Member
Former Member

Post by N1xon »

I know this is an old tread, but one point that was raised was the difference between a motorcycle helmet and a car specific helmet.

Ece2205, the bike standard is aimed a testing several specific points of impact, and ensuring that the head form inside does not receive a shock over the required spec. These are single high impact tests over various forms to simulate real world motorcycle crashed.

Car test, (of which there are many for different types of Motorsport) on the whole are designed to look at the helmets ability to survive and maintain multiple high velocity impacts in very quick succession. These are to simulate rapid repeated impacts with roll bars, or to simulate the effect of an impact on the steering wheel or window screen.

Another key difference between car and bike testing is that the bike test for visors are very simplistic, "will it shatter in a blunt impact?" The ability for a bike visor to stay attached to the helmet in an impact is not tested and is acknowledged by the likes of Arai and Schuberth as to not be an important question.

The car test for visors are as important as its impact tests, they must withstand a huge penetrating force and have a specific opening size. This was reflected by massa's incident with the spring. The area he was hit is one of the weakest points of the helmet and he managed to walk away purely because of the testing and design required of a car helmet.

It all comes down to the fact that impacts a biker may face are different to those in a race prepared car and as such safety and design specifications are different between the two.
The REAL question has already been discussed and that is which is the safest on track.
In a car with inertia seatbelts, airbags, abs, and all the other road safety equipment a bike helmet shouldn't be needed at all, but will offer you a good level of protection at a reasonless price.
If your car is stripped of airbags, fitted with a bucket seat, harnesses and fitted with a roll cage, or you intend to race compettitively, then a good spec car helmet is a must.
Bulldog
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by Bulldog »

Thats a really good post Alex :)
It is by going down into the abyss that we recover the treasures of life. Where you stumble, there lies your treasure.

More info in my project thread

Worry about your character, not your reputation. Your character is who you are, and your reputation is who people think you are.
N1xon
Former Member
Former Member

Post by N1xon »

This is a good read for those interested Motorsport Helmet Standards Explained

It's from Arai, but is unbiased.
Also its based on 2010 spec, so if you are reading this from the future be wary as they will likely have changed.
Rotary Revs Porting, Rotary Revs Coils, RB Oil Pressure Upgrade, Depo gauges, 10w40, AEM Induction, Tubular Manifold, Walbro 255, De-Cat, KR2T Premix, Bosch S4, N3Z1, Blistein coilovers, Vredestein, Red Stuff Pads, Sparco harness.
Vaad
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Vaad »

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewit ... 8615156066

Would this be ok for a track day helmet. I only plan on doing 1 maybe 2 days a year so I don't want to spend a fortune.
Old Car, 40th Anniversary in White Number. 132
Current, Black 231, Sun Roof, Stone Leather.
My Car
Zarterone
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Zarterone »

Yes it would
only trouble with on on line is you cant try it on to see if its comfortable.
Once you brought a helmet you cant exchange it, unless its faulty.
Paul

Vaad
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Vaad »

Good to know. I have measured my fat ( and rather empty ) head. XL seems to be what i would need.
Old Car, 40th Anniversary in White Number. 132
Current, Black 231, Sun Roof, Stone Leather.
My Car
Zarterone
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Zarterone »

Trouble is different makers have different idea what sizes are.

My motor bike helmet is a shoei and size small, however the others I tried varied
, some where medium others large go figure?

I know at the moment lidl have got helmets and are reasonable priced, and you can try them on.

A member on here purchased a helmet on line and had to get other as it didn't fit, although it wasn't expensive , it was still a waste, and who wants to waste money nowadays
Paul

Return to “Trackday Information & FAQ's”