Trackday Helmet

Equipment that may be needed plus general information on track days.
Will66
Media Team
Media Team
RX-8: 231
Colour: Metropolitan Grey

Re: Trackday Helmet

Post by Will66 »

Mine was £60 and I think I've done 15 track days (I've lost count to be honest) in it. so it's worked out about £4 a go and I'm still doing them.
RX8OC Met Advisor and Ex-Moderator!
Miss May 2013 with these modifications02 November 2012

Certified Tarmac Terrorist! Evading the colour police since March 2013 :ninja:

Mazda RX8 - The Liv Tyler's Lips of Motoring
Zarterone
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Zarterone »

Some cheap helmets if they are any good to anyone

http://2wheeljunkie.co.uk/motorcycle-cr ... cat_1.html
Last edited by RX8Head on Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixing link
Paul

40th Anniversary in White no.323 gone but not forgotten.
MK3.75 MX5 Sport Venture (No hair products left in it overnight)
Ducati 899 Panigale see Avatar,Ducati 939 Hypermotard SP , and a Honda Grom
and not forgetting a Vauxhall Vivaro for work

I may be slow, but my works bad
audiobull
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Strato Blue
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by audiobull »

i got mine from http://www.ripraw.co.uk but cant find any on there anymore. the nitro helmets are awesome quality at a low price good find mate ;-)
RX8Head
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Custom

Post by RX8Head »

Link should now work :wink:
Chris :D
RX8 Stealth Fighter Full list of mods complete with pics can be seen here 8), temporarily/possible permanently off the road due to an off at Brands Hatch :( .
Now rocking an SC VX220 :D .
Part of your friendly moderating team helping the keep the forum tidy, if you have any issues then feel free to drop me a pm and I'll do my best to help :wink: .
casey
Events Team Member
Events Team Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by casey »

Link works fine for me :D

BTW, http://www.ghostbikes.com/ are offering 10% off everything from now until the 29th Feb. I have an email from them saying to enter the code "EMAILFEB" at the checkout. Given their helmets start at ~£30, anyone who needs a tarckday helmet can now get an even better bargain :D
Essex Rotary Full Bridgeport
Seibon Carbon Fibre Bonnet, "Racing Brake" front calipers, Racing Beat (RB) ARB's F&R, RB REVI intake, full RB Stainless Steel Exhaust & Mani, 20mm Eibach spacers, KOYO Ali Rad, Lightened Fly, Tein MonoFlex coilovers & strut brace, Axial short-shifter, BHR Coils & Engine Mounts, Greddy Sump
Federal 595RS-R or Rainsport 3
Lloyd2011
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Turbo
Colour: Velocity Red
Been thanked: 0

Post by Lloyd2011 »

Great find
FULL BODYKIT-OZ XLINE POWER-GREDDY TURBO-DEFI GAUGES-AEM AFR-SEIBON Ks BONNET-EBC PADS/DISCS-SS PIPES-BLUEFLAME EXHAUST-DE-CAT-LIGHTENED FLYWHEEL-EXEDY CLUTCH-GREDDY PROFEC B II-GREDDY PAN-AEM INTAKE-PROTEK R-CUSCO COILOVERS-RACE RAD-TEIN STRUT-D1 OIL CATCH-MM COBB ACCESSPORT-MANGA GRAPHICS-COBRA SEATS-LAMBO DOORS-CARBON WING-SABELT HARNESS-RE-MEDY W.PUMP/T.STAT-REBUILT WITH GOOPY
@ROTARY MOTION
GroupBMotorsport
Former Trader
Former Trader
Colour: Stormy Blue

Post by GroupBMotorsport »

Putting my sensible head on now but I have to ask, why is everyone looking at bike helmets? Last time I checked my RX had 4 wheels... Bike helmets are designed for totally different impacts than motorsport helmets, you tend to bounce alot more when you come off a bike rather than take a big impact to the head

I understand people are just looking for something that resembles a helmet so they can take part in track days but my last track day I spent £150 just in V-Power so why would I be happy spending less than this on a skid lid? Surely we are not all that ugly on here and dont care about our heads :D
GroupB Motorsport - Home of the GroupB Mazda RX7
Tel - 08451 947 147 - 01244 822327
sales@groupbmotorsport.com
http://www.silverstoneautosport.co.uk/
Unit 2, Deva Business Park, Deeside, Flintshire, CH5 2HR
Official Sparco Distributor & Pettit Racing Approved Fitting Centre
Remaps, Rebuilds, Upgrades and Parts
shifty
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by shifty »

How about some suggestions then I've seen the sparco ones pettit do but what else is out there that would fit the bill without spending £300+
casey
Events Team Member
Events Team Member

Post by casey »

:whathesaid: How about some suggestions, "GBM"? My view when I bought a helmet was it met the EU stds and the risks on a trackday are relatively low, so why spend out on an expensive helmet if a cheap one will do? It's not clear what one is buying, in terms of extra protection or features, with a more expensive helmet - but you might be able to assist with info on this from your knowledge.

Yes, more expensive helmets might be lighter, but my £30 one is actually (to my surprise) very comfortable. I'm (personal view clearly!) not interested in the helmet having a "brand name" or "style" either, only features which "matter" are worth splashing extra cash to me, esp as the helmet only gets used for a few hours on less than 10 days each year.
Seibon Carbon Fibre Bonnet, "Racing Brake" front calipers, Racing Beat (RB) ARB's F&R, RB REVI intake, full RB Stainless Steel Exhaust & Mani, 20mm Eibach spacers, KOYO Ali Rad, Lightened Fly, Tein MonoFlex coilovers & strut brace, Axial short-shifter, BHR Coils & Engine Mounts, Greddy Sump
Bulldog
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by Bulldog »

All of the helmets sold conform to European road and track regulations - the ones those pesky eurocrats come up with. The competitive motor sport rules on them are a different matter and ramp the spec and the price right up.
It is by going down into the abyss that we recover the treasures of life. Where you stumble, there lies your treasure.

More info in my project thread

Worry about your character, not your reputation. Your character is who you are, and your reputation is who people think you are.
casey
Events Team Member
Events Team Member

Post by casey »

^^ Yes, exactly. Thankfully the MSA rules don't apply to trackdays or we'd all have to comply with a much higher helmet spec (and lay out more dosh!)
Zarterone
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Zarterone »

GroupBMotorsport wrote:Putting my sensible head on now but I have to ask, why is everyone looking at bike helmets? Last time I checked my RX had 4 wheels... Bike helmets are designed for totally different impacts than motorsport helmets, you tend to bounce alot more when you come off a bike rather than take a big impact to the head

I understand people are just looking for something that resembles a helmet so they can take part in track days but my last track day I spent £150 just in V-Power so why would I be happy spending less than this on a skid lid? Surely we are not all that ugly on here and dont care about our heads :D
If you look at my earlier posts, I have said you should get a quality helmet , because you only have one head, people do however only want to pay for a cheap one. maybe because they don't know if they will enjoy/like trackdays so if they choose a cheap helmet then decide that trackdays are not for them they haven't lost a lot of money
Paul

Bulldog
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Bulldog »

That is not my reasoning at all Paul. I would happily pay 150 quid maybe even 300 quid if I thought there was a need but where do you stop? You can get a helmets for thousands. Is my head worth thousands - erm yes to me it is.

The government are happy to let me crash my rx8 at 70mph with no need for a helmet, at a track day driving a lambo I was allowed to choose and chose not to wear one, If I take the 8 to oulton park/blyton/cadwell etc then they require me to wear 'a helmet' so I am going to buy one that is comfortable and reasonably priced to comply with the requirements of the track day organisers not because I think my safety is in dire risk. I honestly felt safer on the track than I do on the M6 and if I wore a helmet in my car on the motorway everyone would think I was an idiot.
It is by going down into the abyss that we recover the treasures of life. Where you stumble, there lies your treasure.

Worry about your character, not your reputation. Your character is who you are, and your reputation is who people think you are.
Zarterone
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Zarterone »

I'm a bit confused
are you for cheap helmets or against.

Me personally, I prefer a quality helmet, not just for the safety aspect(generally the more expensive the safer)but for the comfort

I have a cheap helmet, which I brought for my first trackday, but found that made my glasses steamed up, not good when traveling at speed :shock:
Paul

Bulldog
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Bulldog »

TBH I dont see any evidence pointing to needing a helmet to protect your safety on a track day. If they let me choose I wouldn't bother. I dont normally wear a helmet when I drive on the road and I honestly think the road is more dangerous than the track.

So as a safety measure for track days (as opposed to competitive motor sport) I just want one that fits and is comfortable because I know the organisers will make me wear one.

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

casey wrote:Link works fine for me :D

BTW, http://www.ghostbikes.com/ are offering 10% off everything from now until the 29th Feb. I have an email from them saying to enter the code "EMAILFEB" at the checkout. Given their helmets start at ~£30, anyone who needs a trackday helmet can now get an even better bargain :D

Thanks Casey, I just ordered [urlw=http://www.ghostbikes.com/products/Helm ... elmet.html]this one[/urlw] , which is fibreglass, for £27 delivered, including the discount =D>

Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
GroupBMotorsport
Former Trader
Former Trader

Zarterone, what you are saying makes alot of sense and good advice to all
I can totally understand people who want to buy a cheap helmet because it is their first track day and they might not enjoy it but if thats the case then just hire one for £10 and see how you get on!

There are lots of quality brands out there, obviously I am biased towards Sparco because this is what I sell each day but atleast I know I am selling helmets with 30 years of development behind them and prices from only £50

Usually entry level helmets are made from ATM (no, not Ass To Mouth) Advanced Thermo Material, these are usually lightweight (1100g), a bit of padding for comfort and ticks the right boxes for minimum safety. Most are ECE approved non fireproof £50

The next level should be a fibreglass construction. These are alot stronger, a bit heavier (1200-1500g), more padding,ventilation, comfort, fireproof and exceeds minimum safety. Look for BS type A/FR, SNELL2005 and SNELL2010. SNELL2010 being the latest and better standard. Prices from £199 for SNELL2010

After this you start adding carbon and kevlar for extra strength ending up with a pure carbon helmet meeting FIA8860 standard (what F1, WRC drivers have to wear). Carbon is purely for strength not weight as there is a minimum weight requirement.

Unfortunately doing what I do for a living I hear and see all the bad things that can happen when things go wrong (ask Richard Hammond). I suppose a fireman would be saying the same to those people whose house burnt down because they bought cheap batteries that didnt last as long or do the job properly when called upon

Hope this helps

Mark
Zarterone
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Zarterone »

I also believe there will come a time when the Health and safety become involved, and you will have to where a helmet that's is approved and passed like the ones your mentioning.

Crashing(where needing a helmet) is very rare during trackdays, thankfully, but is it worth the risk.

take this instance(I know it was a convertible) but even a roof wouldn't helped this much.

http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/vi ... 22&t=42634
Paul

GreySilver Beast
Former Member
Former Member

Post by GreySilver Beast »

For the record both my Helmets were about £80 each & meet the regulations etc...... :!: :!:
GreySilver Beast-Test Drives Unlimited (Nigel)
Club Member from 2006 - present
Events Team from 2015 - 2024
Events Coordinator from 2017 - 2023
Administrator from 2012 - present RX-8 Owners Club UK
Tesla M3LR AB 363 AWD " Blue Beast "
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

:shock: You've got two heads :?: :!:
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
GreySilver Beast
Former Member
Former Member

Post by GreySilver Beast »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have a Full Face Helmet & a Open Face Helmet :P
GreySilver Beast-Test Drives Unlimited (Nigel)
Club Member from 2006 - present
Events Team from 2015 - 2024
Events Coordinator from 2017 - 2023
Administrator from 2012 - present RX-8 Owners Club UK
Tesla M3LR AB 363 AWD " Blue Beast "
Bulldog
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Bulldog »

I shall be at Ghost Bikes tomorrow :)

Shagrington
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 192

Post by Shagrington »

GreySilver Beast wrote:For the record both my Helmets were about £80 each & meet the regulations etc...... :!: :!:
warpc0il wrote: :shock: You've got two heads :?: :!:
GreySilver Beast wrote:I have a Full Face Helmet & a Open Face Helmet :P
:shock: You've got two faces :?: :!: :pr: :pl:
'Grington.
former Club Treasurer 2010-18 (now finally retired) \:D/
Silver 192 green interior LEDS, Nordic Green hoop spoiler, roof inserts and wheels Silver Stripes (now finally retired) :cry:
GroupBMotorsport
Former Trader
Former Trader

My friend soon called me for a helmet and HANS device after this happened

[youtube][/youtube]

Mark
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

warpc0il wrote:
casey wrote:Link works fine for me :D

BTW, http://www.ghostbikes.com/ are offering 10% off everything from now until the 29th Feb. I have an email from them saying to enter the code "EMAILFEB" at the checkout. Given their helmets start at ~£30, anyone who needs a trackday helmet can now get an even better bargain :D

Thanks Casey, I just ordered [urlw=http://www.ghostbikes.com/products/Helm ... elmet.html]this one[/urlw] , which is fibreglass, for £27 delivered, including the discount =D>

Well I ordered this at 16:47 yesterday and it was delivered at 11:32 this morning, that's just with their standard free delivery, not paying the extra for "Express" =D>

I'm most impressed with the helmet, apart from the graphics that I'm not so fussed about.
Anyway it's fibreglass reinforced with carbonfibre and very comfortable.
It's got the usual external flip-down clear visor plus an internal dark visor that's controlled by a glove-friendly control on the left - handy if there's low sun for part of the circuit.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™

Return to “Trackday Information & FAQ's”