Car Activity and Track day - Q&A

Equipment that may be needed plus general information on track days.
California Style
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Lightning Yellow
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Car Activity and Track day - Q&A

Post by California Style »

Yeah the key is fun and safety.

Both safety of being on a track (i.e NOT on a road) but also the driving safely while on the track.

As MetA pointed out, track driving can be risky, depending on the circumstances, but mainly because there are other people around as well.
Normally you can manage this yourself, as its not a race just a fun day out. If someone is behind you, let them past, if you are behind someone who is blocking you, pull in the pits, and then go out again, or do a slow down lap to let them get away... There should be no reason to have any issues., particularly on well run days like MOT ones.

Also our North Weald activity days are great starters for track virigns, as its "off road" but only 1 car at a time so you can get used to being more extreme in your car, but without having to worry about other people.

And as many people have said, we are a club for a reason. There are always people to help out, to come in your car with you, or for you to go in their car. In fact if you are thinking of a track day, why not go along for one NOT as a driver, to get a feel for it, and have some passenger rides etc.

The main thing to remember is:
its NOT racing. There is NO pressure on you.
Lightening Yellow
SORN Track special from now on!
California Smile
Now with removed whine (boooo!)
Project thread for pics and info
HypoThermia
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: R3
Colour: Aurora Blue Mica

Post by HypoThermia »

Good post there Malcolm =D>

Just to expand on the briefing part of day, there are quite a few points that are covered. Some are specific to the day itself, while others are general rules that will govern the day.

1. Track etiquette.
This covers the rules that drivers are expected to follow while on the track. For the kinds of days that we attend the rules are intended to ensure co-operation between the drivers and encourage common sense behaviour on the circuit.
  • No more than two people to a car.
  • Helmets on and chin strapped at all times on the circuit.
  • Follow marshals flags and signals at all times (more on this in a moment)
  • Overtake by permission only (also, more in a moment)
  • Do not endanger other drivers on the circuit.
I've probably missed a few... that's why you pay attention to the briefing :wink:

2. Marshal flags.
Marshals will cover all major points on the circuit and give you information about what is around the next corner, the state of the circuit ahead, or the track as a whole.
  • Yellow flag - slow down, don't overtake. There is someone in trouble up ahead, so be especially observant. Applies until the next green flag.
  • Red flag - the circuit is closed. All cars must come back into the pit lane at the next opportunity.
  • Black flag - you return to the pits immediately (though a circuit may have a more specific instruction about where). You might not be following the track rules, or your vehicle might be having mechanical trouble that you're not aware of. In either case, for the safety of other drivers, you cannot continue.
  • Blue flag - there is a much faster car behind you, allow them to overtake.
  • Red and Yellow striped - there are fluids on the track, slow down and observe the track surface.
  • Green flag - all clear, you can return to a speed you are comfortable with.
  • Black and white chequered flag - the session is over, return to the pits.
You look out for and identify the marshal posts on the circuit during the sighting lap (the marshals usually hold out their flags). They are usually sited on or before the entrance to each corner or on a blind crest.

3. Overtake by consent only
The rules for the events that we've attended so far have been very consistent and simple, and allow both the car doing the overtaking and being overtaken to behave in predictable ways.
  • Always overtake on the left
  • Always overtake when permission has been given (the car being overtaken checks clear to manoeuvre, signals, moves over, slows down)
  • Always overtake on the straight.
You should be aware of cars coming up behind you that might overtake you, and try to think ahead as to when you can provide a safe overtaking opportunity. Slowing down is important as it allows for a relatively quick and clean overtake - it should not be turned into a drag race as there is the next corner ahead to think of.

Not complying with the overtaking rules for the circuit can result in a black flag.

4. Circuit overview
Each circuit has its own character and there should also be a briefing on the condition of the circuit. This will highlight any corners that you should treat with additional caution (at Oulton Park we were advised that Druids is always very slippery because of the surrounding trees, especially in the wet). It is a reminder for the regulars who have been there before, and those who are new to the circuit.

If there is bad weather, or the prospect of bad weather, then information will also be given about how the track can change through the day (at Cadwell Park the section following the pit exit stays wet for longer, even after the rest of the circuit has dried out).

The circuit may be set out with cones to assist in identifying key parts of driving through a corner. Usually where you start the turn info the corner, and the apex (inside) of the corner are marked, though this isn't always the case. The cones provide additional information about the circuit that isn't immediately visible.

If you go to a track day and these points aren't covered then can and perhaps should be raised as questions. The above is offered as a "terms of reference" as specific events may vary slightly.

Ian.
(Former Chairman, Membership Secretary, and long time Admin)
R3 Aurora Blue Mica - Racing Brake calipers, rotors and steel brake lines - Racing Beat exhaust - TARGA2 sensors - Lockwood grilles - blue LEDs - side and fog light upgrades - window tints - Eibach spacers
And still three gears left...
Ian.Mothersole
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Ian.Mothersole »

Carrying on from what Robbie has said...
California Style wrote:...our North Weald activity days are great starters for track virigns, as its "off road" but only 1 car at a time so you can get used to being more extreme in your car, but without having to worry about other people...
I have attended a North Weald activity day and a Finmere car control day, and as a "trackday virgin" I now feel much more confident to go out on my first trackday (hopefully at the end of January now [-o< ).

IMO driving on a track or a public road is going to be dangerous - that is why we have safety briefings on a track and driving tests for the road to ensure everyone is following the same rules.
In balance it is safer to drive fast on a track than a public road because there are far fewer unpredictablities (child on bicycle, pedestrians, people driving at 20MPH, wild animals on the back road, oil/diesel spills on the road, etc.. etc...)
California Style wrote: The main thing to remember is:
its NOT racing. There is NO pressure on you.
Ian.M - Keep It Simple!
Club Shopkeeper & Forum Admin Team

"Rex" 2009-16
Velocity Red 231; Hayward Rotary ported engine; Racing Beat exhaust, flywheel, air duct, anti-roll bars; Eibach lowering springs, wheel spacers; Essex Rotary mini-remap; Prodrive PZ spoiler.
"Rex 2" 2014-
Velocity Red 231; the project car.
"Blue Rex" 2015-
Winning Blue 231; RX ATE.
MetA
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Post by MetA »

(the car being overtaken slows down, indicates and moves over)
:) INDICATES, checks clear, moves over and THEN slows down.

OR, the faster car ends up ploughing in to the rear of the new person who panics.
SAFETY first, always :)

If it's going to be up for debate, then delete this please.
RX-8 PZ. Grey, EBC discs/yellow pads all round, Kumho V70A race rubber for serious playtimes .... Alpine A610, Blue .... Matra Bagheera 'S', Black .... 'X', Orange .... Bandit motorbike, Black ..... share in OMS Z1100 Hillclimb
"To prepare for a race there is nothing better than a good pheasant, some champagne and a woman" - Jacques Anquetil, 5 times winner Tour De France cycle race
Ian.Mothersole
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Ian.Mothersole »

Shifty_uk wrote:...
Anyway theres plenty of empty roads around mine, never ever been a issue, dont need a track day. :D
brads rex wrote:
Shifty_uk wrote:Yep true :D but not been caught yet neither has anyone who been to nott's meets and we've hit some very nice speeds. Each to there own, my opinion will nto change, no need for me to spend my money on something i can do anywhere when i want to :D
I am not sure if this is a genuine post or designed to elicit a reaction, but ill bite.

*Reason number one for doing a track day*
YOU WON'T FIND A CHILD ON A BICYCLE AROUND A BLIND BEND.

*reason number two*
see above.
Shifty, I think you need to try a trackday...
You will be able to drive fast without having to think about all the "what ifs..."
Ian.M - Keep It Simple!
Club Shopkeeper & Forum Admin Team

"Rex" 2009-16
Velocity Red 231; Hayward Rotary ported engine; Racing Beat exhaust, flywheel, air duct, anti-roll bars; Eibach lowering springs, wheel spacers; Essex Rotary mini-remap; Prodrive PZ spoiler.
"Rex 2" 2014-
Velocity Red 231; the project car.
"Blue Rex" 2015-
Winning Blue 231; RX ATE.
HypoThermia
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by HypoThermia »

Thanks for the sense check Peter, I've updated.

Ian.
(Former Chairman, Membership Secretary, and long time Admin)
R3 Aurora Blue Mica - Racing Brake calipers, rotors and steel brake lines - Racing Beat exhaust - TARGA2 sensors - Lockwood grilles - blue LEDs - side and fog light upgrades - window tints - Eibach spacers
And still three gears left...
Shifty_uk
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Shifty_uk »

brads rex wrote:
Shifty_uk wrote:Yep true :D but not been caught yet neither has anyone who been to nott's meets and we've hit some very nice speeds. Each to there own, my opinion will nto change, no need for me to spend my money on something i can do anywhere when i want to :D
Iam not sure if this is a genuine post or designed to elicit a reaction, but ill bite.

*Reason number one for doing a track day*

YOU WON'T FIND A CHILD ON A BICYCLE AROUND A BLIND BEND.

*reason number two*

see above.
My reply to this brad is simple

Outside the Club, i do as i please. There will NEVER be a child around the roads we drive on our meets, there completly dead & in the middle of no-where, all the run's i've done, i could count on 2 hands the amount of other traffic we've seen. Only thing which could happen would be if someone lost control & slid into the kerb, which again is very unlikely. We dont drive like Yobs, we drive in a safe & controlled manner, but at a higher speed. (depending on roads/weather, if wet, then its simple - we dont)

Clear example of people taking this thread way to much to the heart, you look at the starting posts & some replys which has some good info & chat regarding Q&A's for track days - Hypo & others have toke some time in replying with good replys/advice, yet as is increasingly becoming more often there a small few, who just take it to far. Very much a shame.

Anyway:
Ian.Mothersole @: I understand the comment fella, but i wont get anything out of it, its still the same, driving quickly, only difference is its a controlled place. Thanx for the reply though.

Regards
Shaun
ex Club Secretary - (Since 16/01/10 - 18/02/11)
Zoom Zoom since 04-April-2009 to 30-March-2012: Gone is my 231 BB Rex.
"It is better to be hated for who you are than loved for who you are not".

Nottinghamshire Meet's KING - Now Riding a 2014 Triumph Street Triple R ABS
Gaztopz
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Gaztopz »

Shifty_uk wrote: Outside the Club, i do as i please. There will NEVER be a child around the roads we drive on our meets, there completly dead & in the middle of no-where, all the run's i've done, i cound count on 2 hands the amount of other traffic we've seen.

Shaun,

There's a first time for everything, and this sort of attitude and manner of driving is what keeps me busy.

You can't possibly be certain what is (or isn't) around the next corner.

On a committee level, I'm extremely disappointed in your posts, as they hardly convey responsibility.

If I have mis-read them, please, please correct me.
Past Chairman
Past Secretary
All together past it!
Woolton C.P. School milk monitor 1975
Zarterone
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Zarterone »

One more think I think should be added,

its not really important, or will affect the way you drive or others on the track

And divinely wont affect the track day in January but most(if not all) track days insist that you were long sleeves when driving( I can't see anyone turning up to Brands Hatch in just a T-Shirt :lol: )

I nearly forgot this rule one sunny track day(Cadwell park last year) luckily I had a jumper I could put on, to cover my arms, otherwise it would have been very expensive just sitting watching all the other cars go out on track because of a slight oversight.
Paul

40th Anniversary in White no.323 gone but not forgotten.
MK3.75 MX5 Sport Venture (No hair products left in it overnight)
Ducati 899 Panigale see Avatar,Ducati 939 Hypermotard SP , and a Honda Grom
and not forgetting a Vauxhall Vivaro for work

I may be slow, but my works bad
Will66
Media Team
Media Team
Colour: Metropolitan Grey

Post by Will66 »

This is not always a requirement, different companies have different policies. However, covered limbs are a good idea, if there was a fire it would prevent more extensive burns.
RX8OC Met Advisor and Ex-Moderator!
Miss May 2013 with these modifications02 November 2012

Certified Tarmac Terrorist! Evading the colour police since March 2013 :ninja:

Mazda RX8 - The Liv Tyler's Lips of Motoring
Zarterone
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Zarterone »

Maybe not ,but its better to be aware of it, than not

just in case, you wouldn't want to miss out on a track day , just because you forgot a jumper(or similar)
Paul

Shifty_uk
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Shifty_uk »

Gaztopz wrote:
Shaun,

There's a first time for everything, and this sort of attitude and manner of driving is what keeps me busy.

You can't possibly be certain what is (or isn't) around the next corner.

On a committee level, I'm extremely disappointed in your posts, as they hardly convey responsibility.

If I have mis-read them, please, please correct me.
Going to Gaz fella.

Regards
Shaun

MetA
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Post by MetA »

Shaun, there's an angle on the comments the club and members need to take a stand on :(
There has been a case where membership of a forum where speed and fast driving on open roads was discussed by members that was used in a court case to sway the mind to the driver being guilty of reckless driving.
So, some of us will always feel the need to remind that we should all obey speed limits and drive safely at all times cogniscent of the risk that unexpected "things" may appear in our track at any time.
In general in another forum it's now accepted that nobody posts those.
Partly as they felt beaten down as we'd get hundreds of folks reporting posts where road racing was advocated :)

re other stuff, by being focussed on the small things we improve the greater :)

and on another point raised ... I had the conversation with the chief marshal at the first event I heard the cover the arms comment and asked what materials were dictated. None was the reply, so I gently pointed out that some drivers were potentially putting on jackets to cover arms that were FLANMABLE and by blindly applying a rule it was worse. Of course legal and logic never mix. The insurance cover said they had to be covered and that was it. :(

But thems the rules ... it's like MSA who are forcing us into replacing all our fireproof overals in the next 3 years to be more fire resistant. THere has NEVER been a fire in a Scottish Sprint/Hillclimb in living memory and suspicion of NEVER. BUT we still have to accpet the new rule :( mad I tell you, mad :)
RX-8 PZ. Grey, EBC discs/yellow pads all round, Kumho V70A race rubber for serious playtimes .... Alpine A610, Blue .... Matra Bagheera 'S', Black .... 'X', Orange .... Bandit motorbike, Black ..... share in OMS Z1100 Hillclimb
"To prepare for a race there is nothing better than a good pheasant, some champagne and a woman" - Jacques Anquetil, 5 times winner Tour De France cycle race
Zarterone
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Zarterone »

its not just motor sport events where "them are the Rules" I'm afraid (as your probably you're fully aware of)

Just trying to get simple jobs done at work have now become a complete nightmare because of the health and safety lot
Paul

brads rex
Former Member
Former Member

Post by brads rex »

Shifty_uk wrote:Outside the Club, i do as i please. There will NEVER be a child around the roads we drive on our meets, there completly dead & in the middle of no-where, all the run's i've done, i could count on 2 hands the amount of other traffic we've seen. Only thing which could happen would be if someone lost control & slid into the kerb, which again is very unlikely. We dont drive like Yobs, we drive in a safe & controlled manner, but at a higher speed. (depending on roads/weather, if wet, then its simple - we dont)
You'll be fine then, crack on :thumleft: :lol: .
Last edited by brads rex on Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Knowledge is realising the street is one-way, wisdom is looking in both directions anyway.
Shifty_uk
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Shifty_uk »

Will do :D

Shifty_uk
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Shifty_uk »

Right,

I'd like to apologize & admit i was wrong in my comments in early page's. To clarify I in no way encourage dangerous driving [-X . I do however enjoy driving on our great british roads in a fun, but controled manner :D . Other Club Members from the nottinghamshire meet's can confirm this greatly.

Again as with all aspects of my role on the Committee, i must learn & understand more that the way i type something can really come across in a bad way. This is most likely why i do end up defending my posts so much to you people from time to time. No excuse i know, but its all i can say. Im only 23 years of age, and i have still loads of time to wise up - more so when little one arrives in May 2011 :D

I'll strive to improve my relations with you all. I do hope i havn't lost anyone's faith in me with my comments, i sincerely apologize to anyone i did offend or upset. I never condone dangerous driving [-X .

Kind Regards
Shaun Walker - (Club Secretary)

Zarterone
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Zarterone »

It takes a big man to apologise, and admit he is wrong

well done =D>
Paul

brads rex
Former Member
Former Member

Post by brads rex »

:whathesaid: , I commend your post, it's taken integrity to write and post up =D> =D> =D> ,
I feel my posts would have benefited from some well placed smilies too better convey my emotional intent and stop any misunderstandings arising, (will edit accordingly).

This thread has the potential of becoming a classic :lol: ,it has all the ingredients, Entertaining, Informative and Contentious, :thumleft: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Knowledge is realising the street is one-way, wisdom is looking in both directions anyway.
stoupaduck
Former Member
Former Member

Post by stoupaduck »

Well done Shaun, a very mature post. I'm sure your little 'un will benefit from your wisdom in years to come - good luck.
June 2005 - Nov 2006 VR 190
Nov 2006 - Black PZ - the grin just got wider; Nov 2007 - CF Vents and strakes; Feb 2008 - Bonnet Stay Dampers; Nov 2008 - New Engine and clutch!!!
September 2011 - Aurora Blue Mica R3; March 2012 - Lockwoods Grills
cal67
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Nemesis
Colour: Stormy Blue

Advice for a Trackday Virgin

Post by cal67 »

I've read quite a few track day posts and would really like to give it a try but TBH am quite apprehensive as I have never been to one. Was looking at the Brands Hatch and there were over 100 people going - I thought there would only be a few cars on the track!

Can anyone give me advice on the following:

1. Easiest track to start off on - or doesn't it really matter?
2. Track Days with fewer cars & preferably instructors
3. Do I need to buy a helmet or are these provided?
4. Regarding insurance - people have mentioned REIS - do I get this or can you just add to existing insurance policy
5. What sort of speeds are people doing?
6. What happens if it rains on the day - does it get rescheduled?

Thanks
tractorboy
Former Member
Former Member

Re: Advice for a Trackday Virgin

Post by tractorboy »

Some advice here: http://rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/viewto ... t=trackday

There was another post once aimed specifically at novices; can't find it, may have been Druck-deleted.

There are often trackdays aimed just at novices so that may be an option.

I'm a virgin too and would love to lose it. My main concerns are:

I'm probably crap and slow.
Cost of tyres.
Cost of brake pads.
Cost of session.
Insurance/possible damage to car.

Bob
Sold in 2017: Velocity Red RX-8 231 '04, Acquired Nov 2009, 1st RX-8
cal67
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Nemesis
Colour: Stormy Blue

Post by cal67 »

Thanks for the link to the post by Atomic Rex - really useful... I can see the cost of this mounting up by the minute :D
Will66
Media Team
Media Team
Colour: Metropolitan Grey

Post by Will66 »

Hmmmm in answer to your questions:

1. I started out at Snetterton, wide open spaces and quite simple, but Brands Hatch Indy is a good track to start out on, it's relatively short and doesn't have many corners, 5 or 6 depending on how you look at it. But it is a challenge to really master. It's also nice and close. Silverstone's Stowe Circuit is also straightforward but great fun.

2. Mazdas on Track tend to have days with less cars on than some organisers, they're well run and they've always got plenty of instructors.

3. Most tracks let you rent a helmet for £10 a time but you can get a helmet for around £60 or so on the web so it depends on how you feel after your first trackday, if you want to do more it's well worth investing in a helmet.

4. Most road policies don't cover you on track, places like REIS or Moris will do cover for specific trackdays generally for less than £100 and they let you build up a no claims bonus of sorts, ie, if you do one trackday and don't crash then if you insure with the same people then your premium will be cheaper.

5. Depends on how confident you feel in the car, no one will criticise you for going slowly. I've seen the gnarly side of 120 mph at Castle Combe and have exceeded 100 mph on most tracks I've been on, but then I've been to a few and I'm not the most delicate of drivers. :lol:

6. If it rains you go slower, it will only get suspended if there is standing water on the track or people keep throwing themselves off it. It's not something to be concerned about though. I'd recommend you don't disable the DSC on an initial track outing whatever the weather but the wet isn't something to be worried by.

If you do try a trackday try to drive quickly but smoothly. Do your braking in a straight line and make all of your inputs smooth. It will make you quicker and it will mean you don't eat through brakes and tyres.
RX8OC Met Advisor and Ex-Moderator!
Miss May 2013 with these modifications02 November 2012

Certified Tarmac Terrorist! Evading the colour police since March 2013 :ninja:

Mazda RX8 - The Liv Tyler's Lips of Motoring
Shagrington
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 192
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by Shagrington »

Why not go along to Brands anyway (assuming you can get the day off work if you need to) and watch, ask questions and maybe even beg a couple of passenger rides? That way you'll get to see what happens and how it all works before you take your own car on track at another track day ... and watching is free as far as I know. :wink:

If I can get up at some point in the morning I'm considering just going along to watch.
'Grington.
former Club Treasurer 2010-18 (now finally retired) \:D/
Silver 192 green interior LEDS, Nordic Green hoop spoiler, roof inserts and wheels Silver Stripes (now finally retired) :cry:

Return to “Trackday Information & FAQ's”