***TRACKDAYS: Spa and Mettet - Oct'15 PICS, VIDS & COMMENTS

A record and archive of car activity and track days attended by Club members. Read-only.
casey
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by casey » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:43 pm

Wow, am I shattered this morning :D

This is the place to put all your stuff about our epic trip. The "chat" thread is quite long so I have moved over stuff from that topic to here, from the point we reached Dover and onwards.

What a fantastic event :D . On behalf of the organising team (OT: Pete, Nigel, Ian.M and myself) I would like to say a massive thank you to the 30 people who shared this adventure (with 20 cars). Great tracks, great driving experiences and great social event too. It makes the time involved in organising so worthwhile when everyone enjoys themselves. I'm sorry to report that Ranjan felt ill on the day we were at Spa and didn't drive at all, but his friend Leo did drive, plus Ranjan generously allowed Sam and Pete a drive in his Tuscan at Spa. We all wish you a speedy recovery Ranjan, and hope to see you again soon.

Some stats on the organising FYI;

- The OT ran a "private" forum area, dedicated to just this event, which ended up with 19 topics and over 600 posts.
- We created 27 versions of a "master" spreadsheet as we updated it with the details of all the details for the 30 people involved.
- Plus the countless, emails, PM's and phonecalls to CircuitDays, hotels, restaurants and DFDS.

But it was all worth it :thumleft:Chilling out at Balmoral hotel.

------------------------------------->>>>MOVED POSTS<<<<<<<------------------------------------------

Excited about Spa tomorrow :D
Everyone here, except Ranjan, who should arrive soon.
Attachments
IMG_20151015_195146934.jpg
These users thanked the author casey for the post (total 2):
KJB (Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:49 pm) • GreySilver Beast (Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:45 pm)
Club Secretary
Essex Rotary Full Bridgeport

Seibon Carbon Fibre Bonnet
"Racing Brake" front calipers, Racing Beat (RB) ARB's F&R, RB REVI intake, full RB Stainless Steel Exhaust & Mani, 20mm Eibach spacers, KOYO Ali Rad, Lightened Fly, Tein MonoFlex coilovers & strut brace, Axial short-shifter, BHR Coils & Engine Mounts, Greddy Sump
Federal 595RS-R or Rainsport 3

MattRST
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Brilliant Black

Re: ***TRACKDAYS: Spa and Mettet - Oct 16th & 17th (CHAT ONLY)

Post by MattRST » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:27 am

9 hours sleep, breakfast sorted and for turnstile from pit hotel, luckily it's on track ;-)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444973220.502713.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444973220.502713.jpg (280.96 KiB) Viewed 1439 times
These users thanked the author MattRST for the post (total 2):
KJB (Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:50 pm) • GreySilver Beast (Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:46 pm)
Now - BMW F30 335d

Past - EVO X , RX8 231, CW FN2 Civic Type-R, EP3 Civic Type-R, RS Turbo

SubbyG00n
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by SubbyG00n » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:52 am

I'm so jealous. Off work now too but have been told by the girlfriend that I'm not allowed my car out the country in case it breaks down again haha. Get pics up when yas can :-)

tractorboy
Former Member
Former Member

Post by tractorboy » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:34 am

The weather forecast looks to have improved; cold but no more rain. Fingers crossed for you all.

Bob
Sold in 2017: Velocity Red RX-8 231 '04, Acquired Nov 2009, 1st RX-8

countzero
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Winning Blue
Has thanked: 0

Post by countzero » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:13 pm

SeanP wrote:Brimmed at the shell about 30k away, should be enough for the morning session ;)
They have fuel on site
Never send a ferret to do a weasel's job.
Still zoom-zooming
Winning Blue 231 - with a few extras
www.wessexcarclub.com

Juey
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: Import
Colour: Black Cherry

Post by Juey » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:23 pm

Take it easy chaps - enjoy!
Black Cherry Mica
JDM Evolve. 192 6 spd manual from auto
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

ChrisHolmes
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by ChrisHolmes » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:14 pm

Rutz wrote:So jealous of you lot :mrgreen:

I'm currently stuck in a Shanghai hotel having breakfast...
It is only through the suffering of 5 star luxury whilst your friends enjoy their RX8s at Spa that you get the pennies to enjoy your RX8 when you get home. What garbage! I too would love to be at Spa but at I least I get to charge about at North Weald on Sunday. I doubt that really helps you much though.
Last edited by ChrisHolmes on Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
AB Bucket seats and 5 point harnesses
Street Ported 231
Light weight Flywheel
Tein MonoSports with EDFC Active
Racing Beat F&R ARBs
Racing Brake 4 Pot Front Calipers
Racing Brake two piece slotted & drilled discs
LED Rear Lights
LED 3rd Brake light with blink effect
MazdaSpeed skirts
Safety Devices Full cage
Royal Steering wheel
Mishimoto Catch Tank

casey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by casey » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:21 pm

Awesome, fantastic day at Spa today. Rain held off, so damp start, but dry for most of day. Federals in their element :-) Pic at lunchtime on grid....
Club Secretary

"Racing Brake" front calipers, Racing Beat (RB) ARB's F&R, RB REVI intake, full RB Stainless Steel Exhaust & Mani, 20mm Eibach spacers, KOYO Ali Rad, Lightened Fly, Tein MonoFlex coilovers & strut brace, Axial short-shifter, BHR Coils & Engine Mounts, Greddy Sump

casey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by casey » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:23 pm

Not sure if pic got attached to last post...
Attachments
IMG_20151016_120636180_HDR.jpg
These users thanked the author casey for the post (total 5):
KJB (Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:51 pm) • Rutz (Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:37 am) • tractorboy (Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:23 pm) • GreySilver Beast (Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:49 pm) • Happy_Snapper (Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:44 pm)
Club Secretary

Rutz
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Rutz » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:42 am

Now at Shanghai airport crying with jealousy - awesome photo Malcolm :thumleft:
Club Secretary Dec 2015 - Sept 2018

BB PZ: SS strakes & Crest, Bonnet Stay Dampers
Now my 'weekend' and trackday car :D

casey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by casey » Sat Oct 17, 2015 7:53 pm

IMG_20151017_204017949.jpg
Last supper, after another awesome day on track :-)
These users thanked the author casey for the post:
GreySilver Beast (Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:49 pm)
Club Secretary

SeriousSam
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by SeriousSam » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:14 pm

Bet you're all pretty knackered after two track days on the bounce! Lots of smiling faces though, always a good sign.

Thanks to Pete, Malcolm, Ian and Nigel for organising an excellent few days - even though Soph and I only did one of the two track days, it was a brilliant venue and the hotel was a quality choice. More of the same please!

On a personal note, thanks also to everyone who helped to get our car back to full working order after the overheating incident, you'll be pleased to know that we got to Nurburg safely and with no dramas - the first part was motorway cruising, the second part was a bunch of top A-roads (or whatever it is the Germans call them) and we even chucked a couple of fireballs at small hatchback drivers as we overtook them - all without any further overheating issues. Now trying to restrain myself from booking a 15-minute session on the GP Strecke tomorrow morning...

Seriously though, thanks a million for the help, if not for you guys we wouldn't be here. Thanks to Ian, Malcolm, Kelly, Ben and everyone else who chipped in with some help, and especially to Sean and the other chap whose name I didn't get for supplying the much-needed coolant. Gents, PM me your PayPal details and I'll fire you a few quid for those bottles of coolant, I owe you that much at the very least :)

Also thanks a million to Ranjan for making my entire week by letting me get behind the wheel of the Tuscan. I know I wasn't pushing the limits of it, and I don't care - I had a great time in the driver's seat of that car, and it has cemented my desire to own one at some point :D

Incidentally, we've found a restaurant and hotel in Nurburg that would be more than able to take big group bookings, and we can vouch for the quality of the food since we just ate there. Just saying... club excursion next year?
These users thanked the author SeriousSam for the post (total 2):
robwrx282 (Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:55 pm) • GreySilver Beast (Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:50 pm)
To Do List: HKS CAMP2 install; cruise control; new exhaust; detail paintwork, possible respray

Done: Hayward Rotary rebuild and stage 2 port; Racing Beat ARBs, adjustable front droplinks, ram air intake and lightened flywheel; Exedy stage 1 clutch; Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs; Koyo radiator; heated front screen; EBC redstuff pads all round

casey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by casey » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:54 pm

Still going near midnight in hotel bar :-) Not bad after two full on trackdays.
Attachments
IMG_20151017_234857616.jpg
GreySilver Beast (Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:59 pm)
Club Secretary

ChrisHolmes
Committee Member
Committee Member

Re: ***TRACKDAYS: Spa and Mettet - Oct '15, PICS, VIDS and COMMENTS

Post by ChrisHolmes » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:45 am

Sounds like all the meticulous behind the scenes hard work paid off on the day. Well done everyone, both organisers and attendees.
These users thanked the author ChrisHolmes for the post:
GreySilver Beast (Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:00 am)
Street Ported 231
Light weight Flywheel
Racing Beat F&R ARBs
LED Rear Lights
MazdaSpeed skirts
Safety Devices Full cage
Royal Steering wheel
Mishimoto Catch Tank

SeanP
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Diamond Grey

Re: Re: ***TRACKDAYS: Spa and Mettet - Oct 16th & 17th (CHAT ONLY)

Post by SeanP » Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:56 am

Why do I resemble the picture behind me? ;)

Absolutely superb trip. Epic to drive Spa. Mettet was beyond expectations. Absolutely knackered. When can I retire and do this for a living?

Some stats:

8 Fill-ups, 304L super unleaded, 948 miles - £355. 5L 10W40 Oil.
Worst MPG - 22 - very wet trip there.
Best MPH 8.99 (Spa - but included some travel back to hotel!). :twisted:
10.31 MPG for Mettet - not trying hard enough! :)

Wish I'd done many, many more laps of Spa & Mettet, instead of standing around in awe!

I was quite literally screaming "Yee-Har!" in the car down the main straight and cork-screw at Mettet... Such fun! :)

And also shouting and "F*** ME" when I went out with Ray - EVERY TIME he braked at the end of the main straight, and commented "I still have another 10M left!" (as I scraped my helmet off his windscreen each time). I wonder if I bent his passenger foot-plate, bracing myself? :D

Huge thanks to the Organisers for such an EPIC trip. My wallet won't survive, but please can we do it again!?

Thanks to Pete for lending me the Falken tyres - they make all the difference on track. I did try to recover some of the rubber from the tracks, by going off line on the cool-down laps, to make up for that lost! :D

Also thanks to Ray - for putting up with me in the hotel rooms, and making me a lovely cup of coffee each morning! :)

Sorry - I still don't know most people's names despite the whole weekend to become familiar! Please don't be too upset if I still don't recognise you the next time we meet (Rob ;) ?) :oops:

--
Sean.
These users thanked the author SeanP for the post (total 3):
casey (Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:56 pm) • GreySilver Beast (Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:02 am) • robwrx282 (Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:39 pm)
R3, Diamond Grey = :twisted: HUGE smiles :twisted:
RoSPA & IAM (NO) Advanced Driving Tutor; Safe+Systematic+Smooth+Sparkle=FUN! Hayward rebuild@45K(s)miles, 17.5 MPG.
🏁Green Hell :D, Spa :D, AutoSolos 10+, Donnington, Oulton, Blyton, Prodrive x3, Thruxton, Brands Hatch x3, NorthWeald x5, Bedford SW. (Vids, Pics)🏁;
Never forget (28/08/09): 231, Titanium Grey, Leather.

casey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Re: Re: ***TRACKDAYS: Spa and Mettet - Oct'15 PICS, VIDS & COMMENTS

Post by casey » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:11 pm

Well, here is my report back on our epic trip. I know I’ve missed lots of what we got up to I'm sure, but I thought I’d get this up quickly and let others tell their stories too…..some video to follow later…

The outbound Dover rendezvous didn’t start well when I received a call on the way from someone ahead of me to say the car park no longer existed, it was a construction site :oops: . Lesson learned, do not rely on the internet for up to date info on car parking #-o It actually didn’t cause an issue as the road by the construction site had enough space for us all to park up before making our way to the port. Check-in at the port was dead easy and our concern over entry ramps onto the ferry turned out to be unfounded. We had registered our cars as “low” and were directed to a special line to board and the ramps were no issue at all. Everybody made it on schedule to meet the ferry.
Ray up front in line for ferry.

All safely on board

A pleasant and calm crossing, with an opportunity to relax on the 2 hour voyage and get some food and drink. Getting off the ship was efficient, again with no ramp issues and we all managed to hook up to start our journey to Spa. The trip down was pretty uneventful, with a three brief stops for fuel and food. We main group arrived at the Balmoral at ~6.10pm, with Matt and his crew, plus Kelvin and Ross heading for their separate accommodations nearby.

Pete had organised a private room for us all to enjoy a delicious (well, I thought so anyway) buffet which the hotel laid out nearby. We agreed to meet to leave the hotel at 7.30am, but Ian, Simon and I went ahead a little earlier to set up the refreshment tables. We had three garages, which were huge, accommodating 6-7 cars each, plus a loo per garage. The kettle had boiled by the time the main party arrived. Signing on was a bit chaotic, with a large queue, but once that and the safety briefing was done, it was out for the sighting laps. WOW, nothing I had watched prepared me for the entry onto the track, an incredibly steep downhill section then up into Eau Rouge. Truly, nothing you see on camera can prepare you for this vision with your own eyes. The sighting laps were a blur of corners which my brain couldn’t retain all at once, but I did register a magnificent, beautiful, flowing circuit.
Our garages
Eau Rouge
La Source
Hustling the Elises
Chasing Kelly!
It was slightly damp to start with, but as the day progressed, the track got better and better and I got to learn which corner came next and where to position the car. Eau Rouge presented the most daunting challenge all day. The downhill entry allowed for crazy entry speeds and immense courage was required to keep from lifting/braking mid-section up-hill. I’m not afraid to admit I only managed it a couple of times without a dab of brake, but it required using all the kerbs and more, with the car getting very light and “unplanted” part way up.

The RX-8’s would get left behind on the long straights by the more powerful Porsches and BMW’s, but the gaps closed on many of them in the more complex, twisty parts of the circuit. I only managed 121mph at the end of the long straight, but I know others did a lot better.
The lunchbreak provided an opportunity for the RX-8’s to gather on the S/F line for some photos, then refuel the cars at an onsite, automated filling station and grab some food.
Lunchtime on the grid

We then had an incredibly long afternoon session from 1pm to 6pm to enjoy the track as the grip got improved.
During the afternoon, Sam and Soph’s car spat out a load (5L) of coolant and had to recovered back to the paddock. We refilled the lost coolant (thanks to Rob), but the car seemed to still be slightly overheating, putting paid to Sam’s fun behind the wheel. I’m glad to say that Sam and Soph managed to continue with their touring plans and reported that the car seemed to be working fine again. There were some scrape to 2 cars in our group (none were RX-8's, oddly), but I'll let the owners decide if they want to post any pics or tell their stories.

So, back to our hotel in Spa, to find a whole heap of cars with trailers blocking most of the car parking spaces. We tucked our cars in as best as possible, not easy as it was well dark by now. Then a quick shower and another buffet meal in our familiar private room. Decision then taken to leave at around 8.30am, for a 10am arrival at the Mettet circuit. We bade farewell to those not joining us at Mettet – Matt and his crew, Sam and Soph, Ross and Ricky. By this stage, Phil and Rob had decided they’d like to change their plans and join us at Mettet, returning on Sunday instead of Saturday.

Saturday - the hotel allowed us to use our private room for breakfast before we set off for Mettet. A slightly disorganised start, due to low fuel levels in some cars, but we all made it to Mettet to sign on and receive our briefing. We spotted whole load of temporary “tented garages” and asked if we could use them to store our gear, only to be told yes, fine, but 50 euros per “garage”. We shared the cost between us (3 euros each) and dumped our gear. Then it was out onto track, without having had any sighting practice! Luckily, the day was very quiet and the track was very easy to learn, plus it suited the RX-8 well, being a very tight and technical circuit in the main. Quite a contrast to Spa, this track felt like a very large go-kart circuit and huge fun to drive. There was also a very pleasant café on the top floor of a building alongside the circuit, for where the whole track could be observed whilst enjoying a coffee. Kelly had joined us for the morning to get in some passenger rides before she left for her Saturday ferry. During the day, Ian.M suffered a minor brake problem – massive cracks had appeared on both front disks! One was so bad that, having taken off the disk and placed the “(hot) disk on the cool/damp tarmac, there was a “ping” and the crack permeated completely across the radius of the disk! Thankfully, Ian had some spare disks and it was a straightforward task to replace them with multiple crews in action. Ian then continued to enjoy his time on track.
The main straight

Corner at end of main straight

Again, we had a long day, with the track closing at 6pm, before our 40 minute drive to our next hotel at La Louviere. We got there at about 7.15 to check in, to find that the some of the rooms we required to be twins, were, in fact, doubles. I just wish I had a camera to take a picture of Matt when he realised he was down to share a double bed with Nigel :lol: However, things were sorted out as best we could and we (18 people by this stage) arrived a little late for our meal at restaurant “La Planche” adjacent to our hotel. We were welcomed and shown to a private area upstairs where 3 tables of 6 had been set up for us. I have to say the food was magnificent, as was the wine, and got louder and louder as the evening wore on. Then back to the hotel, where we decided to camp out in the very cosy little bar. I think I decided to call it a night around midnight, but I believe others were there until 3am, I’m sure they’ll give their stories later….

Sunday – a day for people to do as they pleased along the way back to Dunkirk, only about 100 miles away. But before we set off it was time to change the complete set of brake pads all round on Martin’s car, as his fronts were down to the metal backing. With a pair of jacks and many willing hands available, it didn’t take long.
There's still some meat left on one of them Martin!

Pit crew (in)action :wink: to change Martin's pads

I’ll let others say what they got up to on Sunday, but I had decided I wanted to track down a WW1 cemetery in which one of my mother’s uncles was buried, killed in May 1916 in Flanders, not far from our route back. By WW1 standards, it was a small cemetery, with 600 graves, one of many such cemeteries scattered all over the region.
Rue du Bacquerot No.1

My research on Goole Earth paid off and I found the cemetery as expected, tucked behind a very muddy farmyard. It was very moving to touch the headstone of a relative who gave his life for us, and tragically leaving a wife and 5 young children behind. The cemetery was a beautifully calm, tidy and peaceful place, surrounded on three side by crop fields. The weather was dry and there were a few bits of blue sky visible on the mostly grey sky. Having paid my respects I checked on the internet to discover a WW1 museum in the nearby village of Fromelles, which only opened in 2014. Seeing as I had about 2 hours still to spare before I needed to leave for my ferry, I set off to visit. It turned out to be an incredibly interesting place, with excavations of a mass grave of mostly Australian servicemen still ongoing. There was a fascinating multimedia exhibition of the main battle in the area in 1916 and cemented my idea to re-visit France again to explore the battlefields and find a few other relatives from WW1 who died at the battle of the Somme.
Fromelles Museum

"The Cobber" monument to the Australian servicemen at Fromelles

The drive back to the port was enjoyable on quiet French motorways, the quality of which put our UK motorways to shame. I arrived at Dunkirk at about 4.30pm, in plenty of time for the ferry at 6pm, to find the other RX-8 group arrive just a few minutes later. Don't ask how I eneded up behind them all in the queue :lol:
The 6pm ferry group

The ferry left on schedule, with us all parked up right at the front of the ship. Time for a drink and a curry in the ship’s café, sat at the front of the ship with a great view as we navigated out of the port and as the sun started to set.

Another very calm crossing and we were off the ship by about 7.20pm and off on our journeys home. I rolled up at about 9.30pm, still with some fuel left in the tank, the last fill-up being on the other side of Mons in Belgium.

I have to say that, at 11 years old, 75k miles and 50+ hard trackdays, I expected some issue to arise with my car but, apart from using around 2 litres of oil on track (as expected), my car performed flawlessly throughout the whole trip. Some minor overheating issues that I had been suffering at recent trackdays failed to materialise, with peak temps of only 105 over both days.

My sincere thanks to Aston at Essex Rotary for doing a full service on my car the week before, plus fixing an issue by loaning me his own BHR ignition kit AND discovering a faulty spark plug (with only 8k miles of use).

So, Just over 1000 miles total, about 300 litres of fuel and 3 litres of oil in all.

OK, there is no doubt that this trip was expensive, but it has created countless memories that I shall treasure, so priceless in my eyes.
These users thanked the author casey for the post (total 2):
KJB (Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:27 pm) • GreySilver Beast (Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:18 am)
Club Secretary

Harrizone
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by Harrizone » Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:17 pm

Well like the rest who have posted so far I am completely knackered after getting home at 11 pm last night. Didn't feel the effects of this until this morning as I must have been running on pure adrenalin previously.

Thanks to Pete, Malcolm, Nigel, Ian et al for organising to almost perfection this awesome trip. :thumleft: :thumright: I think the word awesome was probably most used over the two days of track time and I do not think there is one of us that would not willingly do it all again. How about next week. The thrill of besting Eau Rouge is something else, and I only took the Vettel route twice when I got just a little carried away. :lol: :twisted: 8) Some say I should be, after coming into the pits and rejoicing in the fact that I can now say I came off at this iconic corner and lived to tell the tale. :mrgreen: Not having used a simulator, or having even studded the map of the track at Spa, I thought it would take some time before getting up to speed, but after a few laps it was a doddle, except when I forgot where I was on track, #-o :oops: after having to avoid some quicker machinery.

For those of you that showed initial interest in the trip and couldn't eventually commit, for whatever reason, please kick yourselves now, it was a trip not to be missed. To all those who participated, my thanks for making the trip even more enjoyable, for all the banter and camaraderie, both on and off the track, also all those who pitched in and helped those with issues with the cars, mostly minor like Sam,s apparent cooling issue, the patching up of Simon's car after being nerfed on track (fortunately not too bad), that gaffer tape is excellent at holding on the front bumper of BMW's, and I would suggest just painting it over will finish the job, no one will notice. :lol: Oh! and the more major issues relating to some brakes, or rather lack of material attached to the steel that enables the car to stop, and a couple of small cracks appearing in some discs, but I will let the owners recount their own tales. :lol: (malcolms already let the cat out of the bag whilst I was typing this :lol: ) Fortunately with some timely intervention and all issues were resolved by others of our band of brothers, pitching in and helping with the repairs.

For those amongst you that came out as passengers with me and whom I managed to scare the crap out of, my apologies (not really :lol: ) and for those that gave me passenger rides in return, especially Kelly :thumleft: thanks for the memory.

Enough from me really, can't wait to see some of the photos and videos, one in particular :shock: , but regardless of any visual reminder this trip will live in the memory for all the right reasons.
These users thanked the author Harrizone for the post (total 4):
KJB (Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:27 pm) • casey (Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:56 pm) • GreySilver Beast (Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:19 am) • robwrx282 (Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:41 pm)
Now a distant memory unfortunately.

StreetDragster
Former Member
Former Member

Post by StreetDragster » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:23 pm

Wow that sounds like an epic trip. I can only hope i can make the next one

Matt
2004 Mazda RX8 231 Trackcar
2004 Alfa Romeo GT 3.2V6
2018 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT

ChrisHolmes
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by ChrisHolmes » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:42 pm

Brilliant posts by you folks, i think 2015 has probably seen the best track experience road trips this year with Rotostock and Spa and the best road driving trip in the Scottish NC500.
The RX8OC is a great place to belong, something for everyone.
Street Ported 231
Light weight Flywheel
Racing Beat F&R ARBs
LED Rear Lights
MazdaSpeed skirts
Safety Devices Full cage
Royal Steering wheel
Mishimoto Catch Tank

Harrizone
Founder Member
Founder Member

Post by Harrizone » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:21 pm

One person I forgot to thank is Aston at Essex Rotary for the rebuild that enabled me to make Spa with the new engine on just over 2k since the rebuild, it performed faultlessly and propelled me into Eau Rouge at 120mph and with a terminal speed on the Kemmel Straight at 131mph, well that was the last glance I got at the speedo before concentrating on braking for Les Coombes. (which I missed twice :oops: )
Now a distant memory unfortunately.

casey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by casey » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:04 am

First video - a lap of Spa, with Paula riding shotgun.....

Choose 1080p from gearwheel for best quality :D

[youtubewide][/youtubewide]
GreySilver Beast (Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:22 am)
Club Secretary

GreySilver Beast
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Custom

Post by GreySilver Beast » Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:57 am

Well what can I say this was one Epic Trip that we all did and managing to get all our cars back in one piece =D> ,apart from a little Gaffer Tape added to the BMW Support Car #-o

This was a lot of hard work that Pete,Ian,Malcolm and Myself (GSB) managed to pull off for all you guys and gals to have an enjoyable time :P

I enjoyed my Track Time on Spa and Mettet with the added power that the GT86 has now :twisted: and what a car I own :twisted: ,because I was just grinning all the time behind the wheel :P

Am glad Matt put up with me as we were Sharing the Costs regarding the Hotel Rooms at Spa :roll: and after the mix up at the Orange Hotel we then managed to sort out another room,so as we didn't have to sleep together :lol:

Enjoyed our site seeing on the way home although by now my Feet were killing me as I am overdue to visit the Podiatry Clinic :( (am supposed to go every 6 weeks)

Thank you to those Members who kept making sure I was still ok throughout the whole Trip =D> =D> =D> =D>

Boarding the Ship both times wasn't too much hassle although the UK Border Control was less to be desired though :x

Anyway I finally got home at 1am having had to pull off the M25 at Clackets Lane Services to get some sleep,as I couldn't stay awake in anymore #-o

So covered about 900 miles which was 5 Tanks of Super Unleaded Fuel which I thought was pretty good and still returning about 30+mpg =D>

Will Post Photos in due course from Xtreme Photography :thumleft:

GreySilver Beast - Test Drives Unlimited
GSB-TDU - Committee - Events Coordinator & Events Team Admin
RX-8OC Club Calendar
NPT Website
GSB III 03/08/13 - Present
New ****** on 1st May 2021

phil1
Former Member
Former Member

Re: ***TRACKDAYS: Spa and Mettet - Oct'15 PICS, VIDS & COMMENTS

Post by phil1 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 6:59 am

Well that was an awesome few days, thanks a lot to all involved for organising, everything went perfectly with no issues :thumright:

I have now managed to grab a couple of videos from Spa & Mettet but unfortunately my camera stopped recording on my fastest laps #-o but the main thing was my times tumbled throughout the day on both tracks since the tracks were wet in the morning :lol: Unfortunately I could not get a clean lap throughout the day due to traffic but I managed to get my time down to 3.09 in the afternoon after Pete gave me tuition for a couple of laps and I improved by 10 seconds, thanks Pete!

Heres the evidence 8)

The GPS on this is accurate since I had a 10 Hz independent GPS but the OBD2 adapter was cheap with a low refresh rate so at times its very inaccurate and others its perfect, its very easy to spot when it gets confused.

Also here is my last session at Mettet, I stayed out till the end and ending up doing 12 straight hot laps, in hindsight I should have done at least one cool down lap as I could smell the brakes inside when going around :lol: The lap delta at the top is useful here as it shows how I lose and gain time around each corner.

And here is my fastest lap, which again the camera shut off mid lap :roll:

I managed to get the photos from the photographer as well, they are fairly decent but I expected him to have taken a few more of me at Spa, at least the few he got were good though.

ImageSpa Francorchamps Track Day 16/10/15 by watsonphilip9, on Flickr

These users thanked the author phil1 for the post (total 2):
GreySilver Beast (Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:01 am) • casey (Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:00 am)
Braking on track should be like doing a really nice poo...tapered ends and fat in the middle.

casey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by casey » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:00 am

Great post Phil - I enjoyed watching the videos :thumleft:
Club Secretary

Ranjan
Club Member
Club Member

Re: ***TRACKDAYS: Spa and Mettet - Oct'15 PICS, VIDS & COMMENTS

Post by Ranjan » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:00 pm

Spa has always been one of my favourite circuits and it did not disappoint........ It started off wet but the toilet had just been cleaned but it gradually dried out throughout the day the more I used it. This gradual drying out led me to slashing my times at getting undressed until I was flying through the process. I don't want to blow my own trumpet but I doubt there was another driver out there who could have kept up with me.
The Eau Rouge in the cistern was as I remembered and I made use of it many times that day; there are many ways to tackle Eau Rouge but in the end I found a quick acceleration off the toilet seat together with a controlled slide of the right arm backwards towards the pull-chain allowed for excellent progress.
As the old idiom states "slow in fast out", this worked for me really well. I can proudly say I did not leave any skid marks at the Spa circuit that day.

Ranjan.
These users thanked the author Ranjan for the post (total 8):
KJB (Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:19 pm) • GreySilver Beast (Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:28 pm) • robwrx282 (Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:56 pm) • SeriousSam (Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:25 pm) • SeanP (Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:40 pm) • AdamGaltress (Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:59 pm) • Conan (Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:38 pm) • Happy_Snapper (Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:56 pm)

Return to “Car Activity and Track days Archive”