Nurburgring 2009

A record and archive of car activity and track days attended by Club members. Read-only.
CrissyUK
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Titanium Grey
Has thanked: 0

Re: Nurburgring 2009

Post by CrissyUK » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:46 pm

unfortunately I only just saw your message... I think I am ok, I became suspicious when I saw a bunch of supercars drive past the service station at 100kph on an empty motorway. I went so slow that I did Basel - Lugano with just under half a tank of fuel!! :shock:
Crissy

Proud member of the Essex Wankelist Massive

NicKD
Former Member
Former Member

Post by NicKD » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:04 am

jang wrote:Nanananana we are at the Ring =P~ =P~ =P~ :twisted: :twisted: 14 laps done and my son did 9:47 on his secong lap :shock: . Nice and wet after 5 tonight so PLENTY OF SLIPPY SIDEWAYS ACTION and loads of VERY slow Porches :shock: [-X [-X [-o< [-o< .

PS Crissy can swear like a trooper :roll: :roll:

Jan
That's builders for you!

jang
Former Member
Former Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by jang » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:40 am

Thanks for that Nick :lol: :lol: :lol: Whats a bit of "S" between friends :roll: :roll:
Note to self "always check the spelling and don't trust the mouse" :wink: :wink:

Got back at 11pm with the son driving the UK leg. Awesome weekend and some great steaks =P~ =P~ . Paul can't get over the Pistonklaus DIY cooking :lol: :lol: :lol: . The R888's are worth every penny, the grip is awesome and give you the confidence to power into the corners which otherwise you would be braking and slowing down for 8) . Going down to Flugplatz at 125 MPH and then over the crest and POWER into the right hand bend is just such a buzz. Hearing the tyres skipping sideways but controllable is fantastic.
After the ride in the RX7 I want one, the power that thing develops is phenominal and a lap time of 8:26 which he said was half a minute slower than what he normally does was mind blowing :shock: :shock: . I said it must be the extra weight he was carrying :oops: :oops: :lol: :lol:.
I will post piccies later and if somebody can tell me how to post a 10 min vid I would appreciate it.
G3 I will see you at the Yorkshire meet and bore you with all the action pics etc :lol: :lol:

Jan
Last edited by jang on Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace. Jimi Hendrix
His was RX8 Velocity Red, RX8 Galaxy Grey - Gone but not forgotten
Now Ford Focus RS 300BHP 163 MPH Frozen White Lux pack 1 and USB/BT Yes it has front wheel drive!
Hers MX5 Copper Red Mica Roadster coupe. Lowered, EBC Greenstuff brakes

HypoThermia
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: R3
Colour: Aurora Blue Mica

Post by HypoThermia » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:43 am

Vids go on YouTube and can then be linked.

Ian.
(Former Chairman, Membership Secretary, and long time Admin)
R3 Aurora Blue Mica - Racing Brake calipers, rotors and steel brake lines - Racing Beat exhaust - TARGA2 sensors - Lockwood grilles - blue LEDs - side and fog light upgrades - window tints - Eibach spacers
And still three gears left...

SeanP
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Diamond Grey

Post by SeanP » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:47 am

Folks, sound like a blast was had, and glad your car wasn't as magnetically attracted to the Armco as mine was at Bedford!
Glad you survived, and had loads of fun, and not just at the ring by the sounds of it!

Jang, there's a program called HandBrake which is good at compressing and re-encoding Vids to a format suitable for YouTube.
R3, Diamond Grey = :twisted: HUGE smiles :twisted:
RoSPA & IAM (NO) Advanced Driving Tutor; Safe+Systematic+Smooth+Sparkle=FUN! Hayward rebuild@45K(s)miles, 17.5 MPG.
🏁Green Hell :D, Spa :D, AutoSolos 10+, Donnington, Oulton, Blyton, Prodrive x3, Thruxton, Brands Hatch x3, NorthWeald x5, Bedford SW. (Vids, Pics)🏁;
Never forget (28/08/09): 231, Titanium Grey, Leather.

NicKD
Former Member
Former Member

Post by NicKD » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:11 am

I thought Jan, Paul and Crissy did blindingly well. There is certainly no other track like this in the world and the shear size can be over powering. Yes Cadwell Park has a flavor of it, but nothing like the gradients and of course it is 12 miles shorter. The most impressive thing is not the time you do, but how much you enjoy it and how much you give back to the circuit and suroundings by respecting it, blending in and being an ambasodor for it. This was done beautifully.

Nora, my car, turned out to be rather unwell for the trip, with a power steering pipe bracket needing welding before I went and then throwing the power steering belt while on track, which made life interesting, but mainly because I discovered epic play in the track rod arm giving about 3/8" free movement at the wheel rim. As such I did not do that many laps, but it was still fun upsetting the big cars and the data logging is quite interesting with a best lap of the day at 8:49 but the optimal lap, the best of the various sector times being 8:29. Not bad for 140bhp. Just need a clear track now. :mrgreen:

jang
Former Member
Former Member

Post by jang » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:04 am

Cleaned the car yesterday and one thing I did notice was that the exhaust tips were a lovely colour of khaki not the usual black sooty deposits 8) 8) . I think that shows that the engine needs a good thrashing every now and then just to clean it out =D> =D> .

Jan
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace. Jimi Hendrix
Now Ford Focus RS 300BHP 163 MPH Frozen White Lux pack 1 and USB/BT Yes it has front wheel drive!

TToP
Former Member
Former Member

Post by TToP » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:41 pm

Just to add, I had a great time on my roadtrip, 2nd time with rexxy on the 'ring. WOuld have been great to have met some fellow owners, only saw 2 other RX8s during my 2 week drive across Europe. Had quite a few people just wandering around the car in various car parks, good to see she's still got it! :D.

For anybody driving through/via Switzerland you HAVE to do the pass from Davos to Stelvio (Via Zernez, Livigno and Bormio). Petrol in Livigno is peanuts (€0.80 a litre!) so be sure to fill up there, and be careful on those mountain roads, my brakes were stinking once I had finished!

Scenic piccy somewhere between Zernez & Livigno! Big version - http://www.ttop.nu/images/rx8.jpg

Nurburgring!

MetA
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Post by MetA » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:05 pm

seanp wrote:Jang, there's a program called HandBrake which is good at compressing and re-encoding Vids to a format suitable for YouTube.
SInce they went HD, the YouTube vide processing is damn good.
So if the broadband connection is fast enoguh I now recommend just posting the raw up there.

Where'd handbrake come from and prices ? A link perhaps ?? googling handbrake is gonna get me nowhere :) :)

That's a ncie pic TToP, am well jealous :)
How'd you get it so shiny looking in the middle of fecking NOWHERE ???????
Are we going to see more pics (please:)) and route map ?
RX-8 PZ. Grey, EBC discs/yellow pads all round, Kumho V70A race rubber for serious playtimes .... Alpine A610, Blue .... Matra Bagheera 'S', Black .... 'X', Orange .... Bandit motorbike, Black ..... share in OMS Z1100 Hillclimb
"To prepare for a race there is nothing better than a good pheasant, some champagne and a woman" - Jacques Anquetil, 5 times winner Tour De France cycle race

CrissyUK
Former Member
Former Member

Post by CrissyUK » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:16 pm

At last I got a working internet connection, wooohooo!

I don't seem to have received a link to the pictures from frozenspeed yet and I was wondering if Jan did?

In the meantime I have managed to disintegrate the 2 brackets that protect the exhaust whilst driving into my aunt's garden. For some unknown reason over here they love putting metal brackets that stick out of the concrete and according to my local friendly mechanic a lot of people show up at his place with the exhausts slashed in half! :shock: I know you are thinking "didn't you see it?" and the answer is yes I did and it only sticks out a couple of inches from the concrete but for some reason the car couldn't clear it... #-o

I successfully scared my mum in the car when I took her out for a blast through the twisties but then almost needed a crane to get her out as at her age the bucket seats don't help her cause very much. my dad refuses to get in the car, not sure why. Mum loves it (apart from getting in and out) and she is making sure I take her to visit all her friends here... :D

Sunday I am off to Turin to meet up with some of the members from the RX8 Tribe in Italy so we can all look at cars made the other way round and hopefully also the pictures from the Nurburgring trip if I get them in time. Oh yes, and the lovely German weather followed me over here too, when I took my car to the mechanic earlier it was a mild 28ºC here, blue sky and no clouds. :P

All the best,
Crissy

TToP
Former Member
Former Member

Post by TToP » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:27 pm

Have quite a few more pics, gotta finish processing them. Will link to a gallery once they are uploaded. The car "looks" clean but its actually already got over 1000 miles of dirt and brake dust on it in the pic, just shows that gray is of course the best clour! :wink:

The route I took was:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&m ... 62ddeadc9b

For some reason it wont show the actual route just the push pins but the order is on the left. Was a truely epic roadtrip including driving through mountain roads at night time in think fog (not reccommended!).

Will do a write up and supply more pics soon.

James

CrissyUK
Former Member
Former Member

Post by CrissyUK » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:15 am

Guess what took me all morning to download? =D> =D> :mrgreen: :mrgreen: =D> =D>
Attachments
Ring09 2.jpg
Ring09 2.jpg (64.03 KiB) Viewed 623 times
Ring09.jpg
Ring09.jpg (65.97 KiB) Viewed 623 times
Crissy

HypoThermia
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Colour: Aurora Blue Mica

Post by HypoThermia » Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:57 am

=D> =D> 8)
(Former Chairman, Membership Secretary, and long time Admin)
R3 Aurora Blue Mica - Racing Brake calipers, rotors and steel brake lines - Racing Beat exhaust - TARGA2 sensors - Lockwood grilles - blue LEDs - side and fog light upgrades - window tints - Eibach spacers
And still three gears left...

casey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by casey » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:13 pm

^^^ Ditto, some very nice pics there Crissy =D> =D>
Club Secretary
Essex Rotary Full Bridgeport

Seibon Carbon Fibre Bonnet
"Racing Brake" front calipers, Racing Beat (RB) ARB's F&R, RB REVI intake, full RB Stainless Steel Exhaust & Mani, 20mm Eibach spacers, KOYO Ali Rad, Lightened Fly, Tein MonoFlex coilovers & strut brace, Axial short-shifter, BHR Coils & Engine Mounts, Greddy Sump
Federal 595RS-R or Rainsport 3

brads rex
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by brads rex » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:13 pm

TWIMC, Please accept my apologies for non attendance on the Ring trip.Because my car isn't 100% to my satisfaction despite meny hours work and a small fortune being spent since july I desided to sample the flora and fauna on offer in Holland.
jang :- how did the 888s hold up to 30 odd laps ?.
chrissy :- nice pics 8) , I hope the NDE hasn't put you off anouther trip.
id post pictures of my trip, but i fear they would be subject to censorship by the mods.......brads.
Knowledge is realising the street is one-way, wisdom is looking in both directions anyway.

jang
Former Member
Former Member

Post by jang » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:23 pm

Hi Brad, R888's were fantastic, the amount of grip was unbelievable, waaayyy past my threshold in the dry and very progressive in the wet. About 40% wear on 29 laps so enough left for Oulton Park in November 8) 8). 9:10 as the quickest lap so 40 seconds off last years time =D> V pleased. Will try and post vid and piccies tonight but had to get a 1tb external drive as too many vids and pics on PC :roll: :roll: .

Jan

CrissyUK
Former Member
Former Member

Post by CrissyUK » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:49 pm

brads rex wrote: chrissy :- nice pics 8) , I hope the NDE hasn't put you off anouther trip.
Hi Brads,

Sorry you couldn't make it. We were wondering if you would suddenly show up whilst waiting to board the ferry but it wasn't to be.

The NDE at the Ring hasn't put me off from going back or doing more track days, but it brought to my attention that I need to work on not allowing panic to take over following any sort of mistake which I will be likely to make at some point whilst driving. So my next motorsport activity will be a car control day at the end of October. That should take care of things.

:)

All the best,
Crissy

GreySilver Beast
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Custom

Post by GreySilver Beast » Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:55 pm

Some nice photos of your 8 there Crissy =D>

MetA
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Post by MetA » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:25 pm

Nice pics :)

Crissy, as a next stage "car control" days are worthwhile.

BUT the best for you and the RX-8 is a short track and lots and lots of laps.
Short enough you can remember preciesly what you did last lap and make minor adjustments at the corner for this lap and do comparisons.
Rig a video camera shooting from behind the driver and you can review it "in cold light of day" later.
In those early "Learning days" I also suggest doing a commentary to help later analysis.
eg brkaing, throttle, slipping clutch, hell and toe, trail braking etc etc.

Plenty of apps around for phones (Nokia sportstracker) and nearly phones (iPhone) :) that do lap timing and if good GPS signals a damn good job on doing comparative lapping. ( THe Nolia falls down as the phone has more detail stored then is uploaded to their web app site. :(
Log on ti www.sportstracker.noia.com as userrx8ocuk an dpassword the same adn see the limits of the Nokia solution.

New google My Ocation will be getting tested on drive to Wales tomorrow :)
RX-8 PZ. Grey, EBC discs/yellow pads all round, Kumho V70A race rubber for serious playtimes .... Alpine A610, Blue .... Matra Bagheera 'S', Black .... 'X', Orange .... Bandit motorbike, Black ..... share in OMS Z1100 Hillclimb
"To prepare for a race there is nothing better than a good pheasant, some champagne and a woman" - Jacques Anquetil, 5 times winner Tour De France cycle race

NicKD
Former Member
Former Member

Post by NicKD » Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:36 pm

Moderator: please don't quote the previous message, it is just above and we don't need to read it again.

RaceChrono is a free down load for most Smart Phones.

However I disagree with the process. Learning a track parot fashion is not particularly a learning experince. Learning to get quicker or more acurate, while is a good process, teaches trying to get the optimum, it does nothing about dealing with not getting it right making errors or retaining control when out of control. You have to make errors to lean from them.

jang
Former Member
Former Member

Post by jang » Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:44 pm

Well after some helpful IT nerdy tips from Hypothermia at the annual meet I have finally got the video onto Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hL7kRoTz958
[youtube][/youtube]

Watch out for the "OOps I think I got that wrong :oops: " corner and the wife trying to find out what times tea :lol: :lol:

I am sure NickD et al will be along shortly to tell me where I am going wrong [-o< [-o< [-o<
This was not a fast lap as yellow flags and slower cars were on track but I hope it gives you a taster what the Ring is like and will want to come on the 'Ring run 2010 in May =D> =D>

Jan

JWatts
Former Member
Former Member

Post by JWatts » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:32 pm

Excellent video =D> =D> =D>
High Power Titanium....with lots of toys gone, but not forgotten and being looked after here :-)

brads rex
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by brads rex » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:42 pm

Nice video jang, 8) and a good line, even down to taking the right point of the crown at Schwedenkreuz, and enough kerb at Adenauer forst to show your trying, :P it can be seen that you've been before.
Two incidents and a lot of slower traffic on one lap ! !, thats the reason i prefer weekday evenings.
Q/ what sort of speed were you carrying between Bergwerk and Klostertal ?......brads.
Knowledge is realising the street is one-way, wisdom is looking in both directions anyway.

Speedy36
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Speedy36 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:15 pm

=D> =D> =D>

Great Video Jang =D>

8)
Sunlight Silver 231 2006 to 2008
Black Civic Type R EP3 Final Edition 2008 to 2009
Pearlescent R3 2009 to 2013 gone and sadly missed
MX5 Sport Tech 2013 to present 8)

jang
Former Member
Former Member

Post by jang » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:17 pm

You liked the OOpps blast S bend then #-o #-o #-o :lol: :lol:

Jan

Return to “Car Activity and Track days Archive”