A place for all the "WTB" adverts
baltimorebirdguy
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Re: On a hunt for an R3

Post by baltimorebirdguy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:10 am

Standard feature marketed as extra, yeah that sounds like the American market...

TALD
Forum Guest
Forum Guest
RX-8: Prospective Buyer

Post by TALD » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:25 pm

Thanks for all the replies again.

As a mature 18 year old going on 19 in December I can appreciate that costs of insurance are huge and it does sway opinion a lot however I've had comparison quotes at around 2.5k a year with a black box which to me really doesn't seem worth it.
That said, it may take a year yet to find the right one for the right price. There is one I've seen for 8k & 26k miles on autotrader which ticks all the boxes however doesn't mean it was looked after plus I can't afford to buy it unless I get credit on all of it. It's a constant battle in my head #-o

What are people's best advice? Lots of people say you have to work you way up a ladder to 'earn' cars like this but I'm not one for waiting.
Dan.NJ72 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:33 am
EDIT: I see that you're in Hampshire - whereabouts? Happy to meet for a beer and a chat if you fancy it?
I'm near Waterlooville so quite south. Not sure how far away that is for you. PM me if you wish.

Dr. FrankenRex
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Dr. FrankenRex » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:56 pm

I saw that one on Autotrader. Bit expensive is my first reaction. OK it's low mileage, but I wouldn't want to pay more than £7k for it if it was me.

I'm tight, though, so... :D

And that is quite a way! Give me a tinkle if you're ever up this way, though!
Current: FrankenRex 2, leaner and meaner. '60 plate, eibach lowering spings, Maserati 6 pots, braided brake lines

To-do: suspension geometry, alcantara headliner, Ryan Rotary remap, track alloys, custom-built DRLs, Foglight tint

No more: '58 Blue R3, '04 White/ Black 192, '09 Diamond Grey R3, '09 Velocity Red R3

Jacks-rx8
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by Jacks-rx8 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:59 pm

TALD wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:25 pm
Thanks for all the replies again.

As a mature 18 year old going on 19 in December I can appreciate that costs of insurance are huge and it does sway opinion a lot however I've had comparison quotes at around 2.5k a year with a black box which to me really doesn't seem worth it.
That said, it may take a year yet to find the right one for the right price. There is one I've seen for 8k & 26k miles on autotrader which ticks all the boxes however doesn't mean it was looked after plus I can't afford to buy it unless I get credit on all of it. It's a constant battle in my head #-o

What are people's best advice? Lots of people say you have to work you way up a ladder to 'earn' cars like this but I'm not one for waiting.
Dan.NJ72 wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:33 am
EDIT: I see that you're in Hampshire - whereabouts? Happy to meet for a beer and a chat if you fancy it?
I'm near Waterlooville so quite south. Not sure how far away that is for you. PM me if you wish.
A little pointer, work hard, save money and don't let anybody tel you that you can't afford it! Everything is affordable just got to work for it, I was constantly told I'll never have one and that I'm dreaming at 20, 6 months down the line bit of overtime and private jobs I'm now happily driving a little beast!

I wouldn't get one on credit personally; unless you get paid a ton, you've got to think of costs of insurance/fuel/oil/parts etc, I'd save and save and by the time you've saved up you'll probably find yourself a nice little R3!

TALD
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by TALD » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:15 pm

Thanks. I have figured this will be the case and I by no means get paid a ton as an engineering apprentice.
Maybe I am a bit young yet but the dream is there to own. I drive a mk1 eunos roadster in autosolos and autotests enough to keep the rwd bug satisfied that's for sure. Just love the look of the R3.

mrspiller
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Copper Red

Post by mrspiller » Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:27 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TALD
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by TALD » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:21 pm

Thanks but would like a standard non-abused one. For that price I can't be getting a good start in rotary life. Plus 60k miles isn't low mileage on these cars. Cheers for keeping an eye out though. Will have to join that group.

akhan48
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Diamond Grey

Post by akhan48 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:40 pm

I own an R3 now, and it's actually my second Rx-8. I bought my first one (S1) when I was about 25 years of age (I'm now 34), and it was like a dream come true! I was stupid though, I bought one off a neighbour without doing much research. It turned out to be in poor condition cosmetically and mechanically, as I found out later. I ended up trading it in for an EP3 Civic Type-R after just 6 months due to hot starting issues.

So yes, do lots of reading on here, when you find one, let us know and we can give our opinions too. Low mileage cars can be good, but it doesn't mean they've been well looked after. And a full Mazda service history definitely doesn't add any value. Infact, if it hasn't had any oil changes between the scheduled service, then it's a no no for me. If the seller can show you proof that the coils were changed before 30,000 miles with genuine Mazda or D585's, then that's a good sign. Check MOT history online for mileage discrepancies, and whether there were any failures or advisories and what they were for. You'll soon get a feel for whether the car's been cared for, or if it's been run on a budget. With any car, I only need to look at the tyres to see how it's been cared for.

Since buying my R3 last February, I've spent more than £2000 on it. Some of it wasn't essential (like re-trimming my steering wheel), but what I'm trying to say, is that on top of the cost of the car, you also need to have money in the bank for maintenance, road tax, fuel, insurance, speeding tickets, etc etc.
Rx-8 R3 in Grey. RR D585 Ignition Coils & Magnecor Leads
Stock Rx-8 [231PS] in Titanium Grey with Leather ***SOLD***

Jacks-rx8
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by Jacks-rx8 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:42 pm

akhan48 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:40 pm
I own an R3 now, and it's actually my second Rx-8. I bought my first one (S1) when I was about 25 years of age (I'm now 34), and it was like a dream come true! I was stupid though, I bought one off a neighbour without doing much research. It turned out to be in poor condition cosmetically and mechanically, as I found out later. I ended up trading it in for an EP3 Civic Type-R after just 6 months due to hot starting issues.

So yes, do lots of reading on here, when you find one, let us know and we can give our opinions too. Low mileage cars can be good, but it doesn't mean they've been well looked after. And a full Mazda service history definitely doesn't add any value. Infact, if it hasn't had any oil changes between the scheduled service, then it's a no no for me. If the seller can show you proof that the coils were changed before 30,000 miles with genuine Mazda or D585's, then that's a good sign. Check MOT history online for mileage discrepancies, and whether there were any failures or advisories and what they were for. You'll soon get a feel for whether the car's been cared for, or if it's been run on a budget. With any car, I only need to look at the tyres to see how it's been cared for.

Since buying my R3 last February, I've spent more than £2000 on it. Some of it wasn't essential (like re-trimming my steering wheel), but what I'm trying to say, is that on top of the cost of the car, you also need to have money in the bank for maintenance, road tax, fuel, insurance, speeding tickets, etc etc.
Definitely for speeding tickets :thumright: but yeah on a serious note need plenty for maintanence and fuel/premix alone!

Return to “Buying”