Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 192
Colour: Strato Blue
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Extra Gloss finish

Post by CLiPPeR » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:33 pm

Just spent the last three hours cleaning the car. Washed and waxed as normal then finished off with a coat of [urlw=http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165527]this[/urlw]. If you havent tried it do. It brings the showroom finish back, well worth the ten pound in my opinion.
2005 RX-8 192ps Strato Blue , Blue Led internal lights and Puddle Lights, XCarlink iPod Interface & Brodit Holder Lowered and Offset Number Plate, Front Main Lockwood Grill, Pics

Tiny
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Brilliant Black

Re: Extra Gloss finish

Post by Tiny » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:56 pm

Sorry Just seems abit odd Do you not mean

Wash and POLISHED rather than washed and waxed otherwise it kind of defeats the point of waxing it of your going to seal over the top?
2001 Mitsubishi Space Runner......Or the Red Bus Of Justice!

I no longer work for Apex and cannot under any circumstances recommend anyone use their services for anything.......ever......

CLiPPeR
Former Member
Former Member

Post by CLiPPeR » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:17 pm

Nope waxed with turtlewax . This product seals in the wax and protects for upto 12 months and the shine is fantastic ;-)

The Turtle Wax Platinum Series Protective Extra Gloss seals in wax protection for an ultra deep shine on your car's paintwork.
2005 RX-8 192ps Strato Blue , Blue Led internal lights and Puddle Lights, XCarlink iPod Interface & Brodit Holder Lowered and Offset Number Plate, Front Main Lockwood Grill, Pics

Tiny
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Tiny » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:22 pm

so you didnt polish the car at all. just washed and two coats different waxes?

I no longer work for Apex and cannot under any circumstances recommend anyone use their services for anything.......ever......

CLiPPeR
Former Member
Former Member

Post by CLiPPeR » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:26 pm

Tiny wrote:so you didnt polish the car at all. just washed and two coats different waxes?
Polish tends to cut the paintwork so i prefer to use a wax out of a tin not a liquid polish the Extra Gloss coat is more of a liquid that dries to a haze that you buff and this seals in the wax produces a real showroom shine and protects for upto 12 months. I highly recomend anyone try it ;-)

BO05TER
Non Member
Non Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Aurora Blue Mica

Post by BO05TER » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:33 pm

did you claybar first? not worth the coating unless you get down to the nitty gritty first.. :)
Col
RX8 R3 : R3 RXR Aurora Mica Blue
19inch RAY's VOLK GT-S wheels 9' front 10.5' rear.
YOKOHAMA TYRES advans series F245 R285

Racing Beat Twin Pipe exhaust
Racing Brake 8 pot Caliper and disc set
AEM dry high flow air kit.[/size]
Upgraded Xenon 10k on all front lamps
Lockwood grill set

Mazda 3 Takara BK58 YXD Aurora Mica Blue 1.6
hmmm what to mod first ;)

CLiPPeR
Former Member
Former Member

Post by CLiPPeR » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:42 pm

sadly not i only just been reading about claybar so this may be another step next time i do a real clean. Probably just prior to summertime ;-) ............should that ever happen lol

Tiny
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Tiny » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:55 pm

*RX8OC Detailing guru hat on*

Clay Bar would have been a minimum otherwise you dont leave a really smooth enough surface to get the claimed 12 month protection.

I have personally found no matter how good the claims on the bottle wax and sealant is purely that a sealant designed to seal in the shine you have created on the paintwork by polishing off bonded on contaminants that didn't wash off and by lightly polishing out any scratches. In terms of shine creation 95% is polish 5% wax/sealant its all in the prep.

I wouldn't worry about thinning the paintwork too much your not going to damage it polishing by hand unless your using something like tcut (which BTW I will personally slap anyone on this forum who does!) Why not try a filling polish like Autoglym super resin polish this contains a clear resin that fills scratches reducing their appearance and polishes out minor swirl marks. You wont thin the paint with that.

If your keen on sealants one to try in the future is called Black Hole made by a company called Poor Boys specifically made for black/blue/purple cars smells awesome and lasts forever.

*RX8OC Detailing Guru Hat off*

CLiPPeR
Former Member
Former Member

Post by CLiPPeR » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:03 pm

LOL
Thanks for the advice. Not convinced on the claybar looks like you could cause more damage if you not careful in its usage

Tiny
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Tiny » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:06 pm

you need to use a clay lube and after a few passes check for any debris on the surface of the clay but you just fold it in on itself and you have a new clean side to carry on with.

Wolfbagger
Non Member
Non Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Wolfbagger » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:27 pm

Without wanting to sound like a total fool can anyone tell me what claybar is, where you get it from and how it benefits?
Want to get my Rex looking nice and shiny without having to spend hours on it.
Adrian - ex RX8 owner

192 RX8 2004 in Velocity Red. Mods include cruise control, heated black/red leather seats, electric passenger seat, sat nav, aluminium pedals, aluminium passenger footwell, uprated starter motor, new coils, stainless steel strakes, lowered front number plate, illuminated gear knob, sunroof and xenon lights

Gone but not forgotten

JIM.E
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Evolve
Colour: Copper Red

Post by JIM.E » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:49 pm

My tips are (without too much detail)

wash
clay
polish - autoglym super resin
wax - swiss wax samurai - (other waxes are available :lol: ) and it smells really nice

I know this works coz we actually got a call from the dealer who bought the 8 asking about the deepth of shine / wax etc....... so I take that as 1 nil to the amatuers
Attachments
samurai_wax.jpg
samurai_wax.jpg (44.39 KiB) Viewed 1253 times
aka The Mustard Kid

Ross15
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Stormy Blue

Post by Ross15 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:09 pm

Get yourself over to Detailing World. There is hundreds of info on everything you need to know with lots of guides from the pro's.

Got to agree with tiny, no point on putting on the sealant to a dirty surface. Using the clay bar will get the paint work smooth like glass and you will notice a huge difference simply by running your hand over it and the wax will last alot longer. You need to be really stupid to feck it up, just use plenty of lube (dont know why i chuckle at that :) )

Hand polishing will only take a baw hair of paint off but SRP is the way forward!!

Iv man'd up and decided to clay, machine polish, seal and wax this weekend, first attempt but will post pics unless i make a mess :P

Tiny
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Tiny » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:08 pm

just remember tostop and check the temp of the panels often and dont forget to spray abit of QuikDetailer onto your rotary pads to make the polish go further and cooler.

Detsawm
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Detsawm » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:34 am

I'm a claybar fan myself, never tried it until the other week but finally did and am very pleased with the results. After reading through all the reviews on detailingworld last month I also got the Autoglym Super Resin Polish which had the best results by hand and as Tiny already mentioned doesn't do any damage to the thin paint. My routine?

Rinse
Wash
Rinse
Clay
Wash
Dry
Polish
Wax
Show off

Might be OTT but who cares lol, took 5 hours but gave a damn good result :D
Drew

See my project page here

The G Man
Former Member
Former Member

Post by The G Man » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:43 am

Only one more to add to that list, a decent sealant, poorboys blackhole glaze or similar before waxing and after polishing :wink:
2006 - 2010, 231BB, Gone But NEVER Forgetten
2010 - 2013 370Z GT Pack
2013- 2016, 370Z Nismo
2016 - present,Ford Mustang 5.0 GT, Ruby Red,FRPP Touring by Borla,FRPP Track Handling Pack,FRPP Strut Brace,Custom Plenum and coil covers by RPI,20/23mm spacers,Super Snake Stripe By BigWorm Graphics,American MuscleSplashGuards,DRL LED, Steeda Bonnet struts.

Tiny
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Tiny » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:32 am

On your 370 that must be Verging on Sex the shine you can get with black hole
JIM.E wrote:My tips are (without too much detail)

wash
clay
polish - autoglym super resin
wax - swiss wax samurai - (other waxes are available :lol: ) and it smells really nice

I know this works coz we actually got a call from the dealer who bought the 8 asking about the deepth of shine / wax etc....... so I take that as 1 nil to the amatuers

Not technically unfortunately unless its supaguard and something the Mazda dealership can sell you most Mazda dealers wont know or care about cleaning products.

1 Querry I have though Swiss-wax's samurai is designed for jap cars that have the old VOC paint not the water based paint that mazda have been using since 09 and in your case nissan have been using since 2006. Any of thier super exspensive tweaking to get every last steradian out of the BRDF (measurment of shine reflection) is kind of wasted if the car your putting the wax on doesnt actually have the paint that its designed for.

Furthermore from your description of your process above you havent included a post polish wipedown to remove any polish residue so the wax can bond to the surface perfectly. IsoPropylalcohol from your local chemist is best about £2 for a litre so again any money swisswax put into making sure the product bonds perfectly to the clean surface is being undone by not preparing it correctly.

Also It really isnt worth the money Detailing world did a Like for like comparison of waxes using 6 identically prepared new cars and the difference between the swisswax product they said gave the best results which costs £160 had a negligable difference to a product called Collinite 915 costing £20 for a tub almost double the size.

I make that 4-1 to the Pros.... :P
Last edited by Tiny on Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

The G Man
Former Member
Former Member

Post by The G Man » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:45 am

:lol: Itend to do it naked :shock:
2006 - 2010, 231BB, Gone But NEVER Forgetten
2010 - 2013 370Z GT Pack
2013- 2016, 370Z Nismo
2016 - present,Ford Mustang 5.0 GT, Ruby Red,FRPP Touring by Borla,FRPP Track Handling Pack,FRPP Strut Brace,Custom Plenum and coil covers by RPI,20/23mm spacers,Super Snake Stripe By BigWorm Graphics,American MuscleSplashGuards,DRL LED, Steeda Bonnet struts.

Detsawm
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Detsawm » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:31 am

Lol for some reason I'm actually not surprised :lol:
Drew

See my project page here

JIM.E
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Evolve
Colour: Copper Red

Post by JIM.E » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:23 am

@ Tiny......

What a response.....

To add to the above...I did say no details..... have used the above system for a long time inc swiss wax its worked for me and I got placed 3rd in Porsche Club GB concours (air cooled regional) when I had my 911 a few years ago - (dont say if I'd followed your advice if would have been 1st [-X )

but for me the biggest plus with Swiss wax and the reason I started using it is that you can apply in direct sunlight / hot / sunny day etc and they tell you to do it as part of the procedure etc - the little pot is expensive but it lasts forever

Each to there own maybe we should have a wax off at JAPFEST (hope that sounded right :lol: )
Attachments
Image002.jpg
Image002.jpg (24.46 KiB) Viewed 840 times
aka The Mustard Kid

Tiny
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Tiny » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:01 am

sorry I did kind of go in thier guns blazing some what :P No offence intended.

I just find it funny when people use really expensive waxes claiming they add the difference of night and day when in reality they add only 3-5% to the shine produced if that at times. Before I got back into Powerplant maintenance I used to detail cars professionally Id have various waxes listed as finishing products and it was always the porsche and ferrarri owners who would ask for Divine it purely was a willy waving thing for them. When I was telling them that I have another wax that will produce the same finish but will last for 4 months instead of 1 but only costs £20 instead of £200 for 3 coats they didnt really seem to care who am I to complain either.

As for your 3rd place Porsche GB concourse place that really is an achievment I know how anal the judges at porsche concourse events can be, they have to be when the standard of the entrants are so high some of the contestants I prepared for a Porsche rally. One owner had the car delivered on a Low Loader and Asked that the Car be pushed everywhere and if a manoever could be done in reverse please do that as he didnt want the distance to be added to the speedo the car did only have 42 miles on it in 31 years and litterally had been driven from the showroom and taken to shows on trailers. I put a High UV protectant and sealant on the car to help prevent fading. I had to give up detailing professionally as I was ruining my back being so tall and bending over cars every day I expect most owners feel an ache after polishing thier 8s too imagine that day in day out. I couldnt keep up with the work either I would often be working 7 days a week.

Yeah we can have a little competition for Japfest a mini In house show and shine as such.

Seedler
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Seedler » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:50 am

Im quite a detailing nerd too but Tiny is the man on this site! :lol: dont know why I didnt click on this thread sooner

He hit the nail on the head and has already given the best advice - as said adding a layer of sealant isnt the best of ideas if youve not got rid of the contaminents in the paint first. Its the equivalent of laminating a creased and dirty piece of paper somewhat, your not protecting what could be alot purer

Also, I wouldnt use anything with Turtle Wax on the bottle but as with everything you get what you pay for. Dodo Juice ftwwwww :mrgreen:

As already said claying is easy once youve tried it, so give it a go and you wont regret it I promise
Brilliant Black with ST Orange accents
Too many mods to mention, too much petrol used and too many exhaust-gasms to care!
"Bear s**** as standard"

Detsawm
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Detsawm » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:13 pm

I like to think I'm a detailing nerd but I never do it to the standard I think I should, I always end up with a very shiny car that all my friends say looks stunning but that I still think is dirty lol :lol:
Drew

See my project page here

Seedler
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Seedler » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:28 pm

Im the same Drew! haha, im forever saying "ahhh its filthy!" and other people think its shiny as ever. Its an OCD definitely :lol:
Brilliant Black with ST Orange accents
Too many mods to mention, too much petrol used and too many exhaust-gasms to care!
"Bear s**** as standard"

Shagrington
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by Shagrington » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:45 pm

I'm the opposite ... I reckon my car is filthy - and so does everybody else! :oops:
'Grington.
former Club Treasurer 2010-18 (now finally retired) \:D/
Silver 192 green interior LEDS, Nordic Green hoop spoiler, roof inserts and wheels Silver Stripes

Return to “Detailing - Cleaning”