The "Shiny Car make all better sub-forum" for clean freaks
LeeW
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Sparkling Black

Coolant tank cleaning

Post by LeeW » Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:50 am

Has anyone tried internally cleaning a coolant tank??

I need to sort a coolant leak on mine and thinking about doing (another :roll: ) full flush and maybe jazzing up the hoses with red ones whilst I'm doing it. I have the common tank sensor fault on mine and 1: want to have it working again, 2: want a nice clean looking tank if I'm trying to tidy up the engine bay and 3: don't want to do the easy but expensive thing of spending £140 on a new one.

Thought it might be worth getting a working, used one for £25/30 off eBay and giving it some sort of chemical bath that I've seen on YouTube to get a clean, working one for 75% less expense...

But my initial gut feeling is the chemicals required to clean a tank might also further damage an ageing float...?

Anyone with experience or guidance?
These users thanked the author LeeW for the post:
SmuttyHutty (Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:50 pm)
07' Kuro
RRP Single Res midpipe w/ Pettit/Milltek cat-back, RRP MK2 Coils and leads, AEM CAI, RRP Custom Map, RSW Custom Steering Wheel.

RX8 Story (slow progress): viewtopic.php?f=104&t=78506

mi60o0
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 192
Colour: Brilliant Black

Re: Coolant tank cleaning

Post by mi60o0 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:16 pm

Go to jdm planet and order one jdm planet is website takes about 6weeksbto arrive is my second I order from there price is good and is genuine with sensor brand sparing new
These users thanked the author mi60o0 for the post:
LeeW (Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:29 pm)
BatRex 192 stock

Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Post by Delanor » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:30 pm

Seek and Ye shall find Coolant tank everything you wanted to know

Del.
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, K & N filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.

LeeW
Club Member
Club Member

Post by LeeW » Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:36 pm

Delanor wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:30 pm
Seek and Ye shall find Coolant tank everything you wanted to know

Del.
I did indeed seek and find this already.

The link is mislabelled as 'everything I want to know'. I would like to know about the whether cleaning chemicals or procedures will accelerate the "pumice" effect of the coolant tank and this thread doesn't cover that.

Thanks for the help though. I know people get annoyed on here when people post new threads about stuff that's clearly covered in other threads. I do often try and do my research first.
07' Kuro
RRP Single Res midpipe w/ Pettit/Milltek cat-back, RRP MK2 Coils and leads, AEM CAI, RRP Custom Map, RSW Custom Steering Wheel.

Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Delanor » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:00 pm

Who is annoyed?

What would be the point of cleaning the tank the float fails and you cannot access it the "Pumice" type material refers to the float which "had " a coating which wears off so cleaning is not going to replace that and make the float buoyant again is it.

The crud in water tanks tend to be mainly from Limescale so try anything that will remove that.

Del.
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, K & N filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.

nightfire10
Club Member
Club Member

Post by nightfire10 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:04 pm

Delanor wrote:Who is annoyed?

What would be the point of cleaning the tank the float fails and you cannot access it the "Pumice" type material refers to the float which "had " a coating which wears off so cleaning is not going to replace that and make the float buoyant again is it.

The crud in water tanks tend to be mainly from Limescale so try anything that will remove that.

Del.
Think he just wanted to clean it inside so it looks nice under the bonnet Del some are dirty inside Image

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Hayward's Street/bridgeported rebuild,595's,Tein coilovers edfc Racingbeat rear anti roll bar oil pres oil temp gauge pod's,lockwood front rear grills,Tinted wind ws folding tow hook's,595s,connect2
To do install sohn tank bracket made but still need to get time to install,caliper painting :thumright:
180 of 400

LeeW
Club Member
Club Member

Post by LeeW » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:14 pm

Delanor wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:00 pm
Who is annoyed?

Del.
I’m not referring to anyone specifically being annoyed. But there’s plenty of cases on this forum (and rightly so sometimes) that people get bored of answering the same questions time and again because people don’t use the search function.

The point of cleaning the tank is so it looks nicer than a brown one and could potentially be far cheaper than simply buying a new one. I know the float fails and why. I never suggested that I was trying to fix it. I was simply asking any advice on whether I would be wasting my time in cleaning a used, working unit with chemicals or otherwise.

The kind of responses I was expecting was;
- Don’t do it, you’ll ruin a float that works and be back at square one.
- do it, I’ve done the same using x method and the float still works y amount of years later.
- don’t know, no ones every bothered trying, they just buy a new one.
07' Kuro

ChrisHolmes
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by ChrisHolmes » Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:19 pm

I think your last expected potential reply is probably correct. My tank look horrible so I masked off the level indicator area and simply painted the rest of the tank.
These users thanked the author ChrisHolmes for the post:
LeeW (Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:21 pm)
AB Bucket seats and 5 point harnesses
Street Ported 231
Light weight Flywheel
Tein MonoSports with EDFC Active
Racing Beat F&R ARBs
Racing Brake 4 Pot Front Calipers
Racing Brake two piece slotted & drilled discs
LED Rear Lights
LED 3rd Brake light with blink effect
MazdaSpeed skirts
Safety Devices Full cage
Royal Steering wheel
Mishimoto Catch Tank

SmuttyHutty
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Nordic Green

Post by SmuttyHutty » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:50 pm

Hi Lee

I did exactly what you're thinking about:

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=82590&p=1287508&hi ... t#p1287508

Clearly it is a punt because the tank I bought off ebay for a few quid could well have had the same float problem that we all know about. But for a total outlay of about £15-20 including the recommended cleaning fluid I felt it was worth it.

And it has worked perfectly.

I didn't think about taking before and after pics at the time because I was not a club member then. But I picked what looked like the cleanest one on ebay (which was still pretty brown on the inside) and set to work.

If either of mine fail again in the future I'll just get back on to ebay....
These users thanked the author SmuttyHutty for the post:
LeeW (Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:55 pm)

LeeW
Club Member
Club Member

Post by LeeW » Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:59 pm

SmuttyHutty wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:50 pm
Hi Lee

I did exactly what you're thinking about:

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=82590&p=1287508&hi ... t#p1287508

Clearly it is a punt because the tank I bought off ebay for a few quid could well have had the same float problem that we all know about. But for a total outlay of about £15-20 including the recommended cleaning fluid I felt it was worth it.

And it has worked perfectly.

I didn't think about taking before and after pics at the time because I was not a club member then. But I picked what looked like the cleanest one on ebay (which was still pretty brown on the inside) and set to work.

If either of mine fail again in the future I'll just get back on to ebay....
Cheers. How well did it come up? Like fresh, white plastic or just considerably better?

I’m now leaning towards what Mihall said and maybe just getting a new one from japan. It works out at about £70 delivered for a new one, not double that of a uk supplier. Might be worth the slight extra, then I’m not playing the eBay lottery like you said, one which may only last 100more miles!

Unless yours came up pretty mint..... then I suppose it would be worth a try. That would certainly get the issue sorted quicker than waiting for long delivery times!
07' Kuro

Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Delanor » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:08 pm

Just as a point of interest Mazda changed the float assembly so in theory it shouldn`t happen again, my first tank lasted under 3 years and 11k miles replaced with a modified tank under warranty 10 years ago.

Del.

SmuttyHutty
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Nordic Green

Post by SmuttyHutty » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:09 pm

Just been out to the cars and got some snaps for you. The expansion tank on the PZ is, I believe, the original. The replacement tank on the 192 has been in situ for 3-4k miles.

Judge for yourself how well it has come up. It isn't shiny white like Richard Hammond's teeth, but it is fine as far as I am concerned.

192 far:
192 far.jpg
192 close:
192 close.jpg
PZ far:
PZ far.jpg
PZ close:
PZ close.jpg

Return to “Detailing - Cleaning”