Honkytonk
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Portable/Cordless pressure washers

Post by Honkytonk » Sat Jul 13, 2019 11:09 pm

Evening all,

In my ongoing strive to look after the car(s) properly without having a driveway of my own on which to happily do work or clean them, I've been looking into the best way to provide some kind of portable fix for washing the cars.

Long and short of it is I park my cars in what is essentially a public car park about 50m round the corner from my house. No hose, electrical socket, or kettle to be found, which makes life just that little bit more difficult when you're doing something! I want something that I can snowfoam my car with and then rinse it off without buying 60m of hose and electrical extensions and trailing them down the high street in front of two pubs and a bookies...

I've been eyeing up the Worx Hydroshot as it seems to be almost precisely what I need - if you buy an adapter you can even attach plastic drinks bottles to it so you literally have an all in one washer with no cords whatsoever. I'd probably more likely run it with a float in a jerry can of water or similar, depending on how much it gets through while washing. They're not the most powerful in the world but I don't want to strip paint with the thing...

Anyone have any experience with one, or have something else they've used that they would recommend for such a task? Not really overly enamoured with petrol pressure washers, they're too bleeding noisy!
Have a gander at my slightly rusty pride and joy in
The P-Shed Project Thread

350matt
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Strato Blue

Re: Portable/Cordless pressure washers

Post by 350matt » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:04 am

Sorry to say a bucket of water is all I can recommend - however it does work and is a classic....

AdamGaltress
Events Team Member
Events Team Member
RX-8: Evolve
Colour: Copper Red

Post by AdamGaltress » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:08 am

This guy is very critical and he's given it a thumbs up. Bit of a tear down

AdamGaltress
Events Team

Bridgeport Copper Red MazdaSpeed Evolve - Project Thread

Honkytonk
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Honkytonk » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:27 am

Cheers chaps. The full kit dropped to £90 on Amazon yesterday briefly but I missed it...

Just one bucket 350matt?! Not two?! ;)

Dove66
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Post by Dove66 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:59 am

Hi

My wife got me one for my birthday.

The battery will do 2 cars. Obviously you still need water so you will be going back and forth for that. It has an attachment so you can use snowfoam. It’s not the most powerful spray of all time but I like using it. I think there is a 40v version. The first thing to do after using it is to put the battery back on charge.
Attachments
B9041C1F-CB86-4556-996C-E8186E4D5281.jpeg
These users thanked the author Dove66 for the post:
Honkytonk (Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:38 am)
Crystal White 40th Anniversary
001/400

Honkytonk
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Honkytonk » Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:25 am

Dove66 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:59 am
Hi

My wife got me one for my birthday.

The battery will do 2 cars. Obviously you still need water so you will be going back and forth for that. It has an attachment so you can use snowfoam. It’s not the most powerful spray of all time but I like using it. I think there is a 40v version. The first thing to do after using it is to put the battery back on charge.
Cheers Dove! Do you know how much water it gets through? I've got a couple of 40l water porters so bringing one of those with me is probably how I'd be managing the water side of things.

Dove66
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Post by Dove66 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:15 pm

That’s quite tricky to answer exactly as I’m sure everyone washes their cars differently.

Normally I’m washing 2 cars at the same time but getting to water isn’t a problem. I normally do the wheels first on their own and then snow foam the cars. This then needs to be rinsed and then the cars are shampooed, rinsed again and then dried. I use a small bucket for the wheels and 2 Dodo Juice buckets for the rinsing and 2 buckets for shampooing (one shampoo on and one to rinse the mitt). I think the big buckets are 20l each so I would say what you have is fine.
Attachments
BE38E77E-83B6-4ACD-B1E5-94F74A7F88B8.jpeg
Crystal White 40th Anniversary
001/400

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: 231
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:25 pm

My general experience with pressure washers is that they use a lot less water than just a hose, even one with a jet nozzle.
When I pressure wash our car(s) I'm always surprised how little water is left on the ground.
That said, no amount of pressure washing, even with a snowfoam, will remove the thin film of surface grime, that has to be shifted with a cloth/sponge/brush.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ

Honkytonk
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Honkytonk » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:02 pm

Dove66 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:15 pm
That’s quite tricky to answer exactly as I’m sure everyone washes their cars differently.

Normally I’m washing 2 cars at the same time but getting to water isn’t a problem. I normally do the wheels first on their own and then snow foam the cars. This then needs to be rinsed and then the cars are shampooed, rinsed again and then dried. I use a small bucket for the wheels and 2 Dodo Juice buckets for the rinsing and 2 buckets for shampooing (one shampoo on and one to rinse the mitt). I think the big buckets are 20l each so I would say what you have is fine.
Cheers, that's helpful! Quite agree everyone has a different method. I'll rinse the car, lightly shampoo it by hand as I have no lance, let it soak, rinse off, go at the wheels, rinse again, shampoo top down on any problem areas, rinse a final time, and then dry.

Polish and wax follows if it requires it.
warpc0il wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:25 pm
My general experience with pressure washers is that they use a lot less water than just a hose, even one with a jet nozzle.
When I pressure wash our car(s) I'm always surprised how little water is left on the ground.
That said, no amount of pressure washing, even with a snowfoam, will remove the thin film of surface grime, that has to be shifted with a cloth/sponge/brush.
I'm not planning to use it to 'clean' the car with solely, just to provide a snow foam to soak the dirt with, and the ability to rinse effectively with no tap or electrical connection! All those rinse/shampoo phases above are going to be helped a LOT...

What with the black finish, I want to be touching the car as little as possible - big white scratches being particularly visible if I happen to grind some dirt into it with my inexperienced cleaning actions. Also it soaks in the heat so I can't leave anything for too long if there's even a modicum of sun about!

Me mind's made up, I'll be getting one next time it drops to the sub-100 mark (alas, £90 package on Prime day is now £150...), and I'll crack it out on the Vectra and the RX8 (silver car and a black car, nightmare...) and put down my observations in case anyone else is thinking about one.

v-rex
Club Member
Club Member

Post by v-rex » Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:54 am

One other option and I know some people have some mixed feelings on this, is a waterless wash. I have similar issues with lack of water to my car so I use Supagard Aqua Free, with plenty of microfibres and I think it comes out quite well. You can do the alloys with it as well. I've used it on my RX8 (also a black PZ, see the photos section for some recent pics after a clean) and Soul red CX5, and I think it leaves a pretty good finish as you don't get any watermarks, and you get some wax on it so water beads off nicely after.

The scratch thing always seems like a worry, and I was always unsure but reading about it on many detailing websites and trying it, I think it seems to be ok. You need to let the spray dwell a bit, and use plenty of good thick microfibres, but so far I haven't seen any scratching after using it. Time will tell as with all cleaning methods it could be inflicting micro scratches, so I'll keep observing.

Of course during winter, when you need to get underneath and under arches you do need water but I think this method is ok for 9 months of the year.

Return to “Detailing - Cleaning”