Blue print yir wankel

Any form of normally aspirated power mods.
Post Reply
RobinPZ72
Former Member
Former Member
Posts: 1390
Joined: Sat May 19, 2018 4:55 pm
Has thanked: 67 times
Been thanked: 32 times

Blue print yir wankel

Post by RobinPZ72 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:35 am

Ok yes this is probably thought of a waste of time to some, but if done correctly the gains can be eye opening!

I've noticed the massive difference outputs std and even with the same ish tuned engines! This can mostly be due to tolerances of the spinny things being out and yes different oils, fuel, breathing and farting kits and sparky things!

Has anyone just got the engine just balanced and gas flowed?

Does anyone offer crank and rotar balancing?

I'm not saying I know anything about the rotary engines and clearly on here there's guys that do, but I can say I was ok at tuning 2 strokes and other engine's!
Robin

User avatar
Dazza44
Former Member
Former Member
Posts: 2447
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:35 pm
RX-8: 231
Colour: Winning Blue
Location: stamford lincs
Has thanked: 156 times
Been thanked: 70 times

Re: Blue print yir wankel

Post by Dazza44 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:45 am

U might have trouble getting the crank balanced, or even finding it

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk


User avatar
13Black
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 4636
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:14 pm
RX-8: 231
Colour: Velocity Red
Location: Leicestershire
Has thanked: 526 times
Been thanked: 808 times
Contact:

Re: Blue print yir wankel

Post by 13Black » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:58 am

Speak to Rotary Revs about getting a crank etc balanced. But don't expect them to tell you who does it as there's a bit of know-how involved when it comes to doing rotaries that most engine balancing outfits would need to learn.
They used to outsource the process to the states, to give you an idea.
These users thanked the author 13Black for the post:
RobinPZ72 (Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:34 am)
-= Rotormelon Money Pit Build of Tasteless Questionable Bodgery =-
Experimelon 183whp rebuild | Rotary Revs D585s | PZ Suspension | Hawk & Yellowstuff pads | Extra steering lock | Custom exhaust | Added rearward flames of glory | Unnecessarily repurposed ball gags
-= Clicky click for build thread =-

User avatar
Conan
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 6194
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:22 pm
RX-8: 231
Colour: Brilliant Black
Location: Cotswolds
Has thanked: 56 times
Been thanked: 733 times

Re: Blue print yir wankel

Post by Conan » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:03 am

Dazza44 wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:45 am
U might have trouble getting the crank balanced, or even finding it ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
The shaft does in fact have a couple of cranks on it
It's just that rotors are hung off the cranks rather than con rods
Pete
Last edited by Conan on Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Events Coordinator. 2014 to 2017

I’m an expert in nothing....I have made mistakes in everything

User avatar
Conan
Club Member
Club Member
Posts: 6194
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:22 pm
RX-8: 231
Colour: Brilliant Black
Location: Cotswolds
Has thanked: 56 times
Been thanked: 733 times

Re: Blue print yir wankel

Post by Conan » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:32 am

RobinPZ72 wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:35 am
Ok yes this is probably thought of a waste of time to some, but if done correctly the gains can be eye opening!

I've noticed the massive difference outputs std and even with the same ish tuned engines! This can mostly be due to tolerances of the spinny things being out and yes different oils, fuel, breathing and farting kits and sparky things!

Has anyone just got the engine just balanced and gas flowed?

Does anyone offer crank and rotar balancing?

I'm not saying I know anything about the rotary engines and clearly on here there's guys that do, but I can say I was ok at tuning 2 strokes and other engine's!
Robin
You are correct in your way of thinking
I had my engine built and blu printed by Rotary Revs and recorded 195 BHP at the hubs which equates to 228-231 at the crank (2nd highest recorded at the time)
If you want to see what that drives like look at the video at the start of the PZ suspension group buy
Regards
Pete
These users thanked the author Conan for the post:
RobinPZ72 (Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:39 am)
Events Coordinator. 2014 to 2017

I’m an expert in nothing....I have made mistakes in everything

RobinPZ72
Former Member
Former Member
Posts: 1390
Joined: Sat May 19, 2018 4:55 pm
Has thanked: 67 times
Been thanked: 32 times

Re: Blue print yir wankel

Post by RobinPZ72 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:05 am

Bit sad, but I could watch that all day!

Robin
Last edited by RobinPZ72 on Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

RobinPZ72
Former Member
Former Member
Posts: 1390
Joined: Sat May 19, 2018 4:55 pm
Has thanked: 67 times
Been thanked: 32 times

Re: Blue print yir wankel

Post by RobinPZ72 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:14 am

Dazza44 wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:45 am
U might have trouble getting the crank balanced, or even finding it ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Does yir rotors just float? Hey I know my terminology is a bit not quite PC, but I do enjoy seeing what things are call for the same thing or corrected!

Robin

User avatar
Dazza44
Former Member
Former Member
Posts: 2447
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:35 pm
RX-8: 231
Colour: Winning Blue
Location: stamford lincs
Has thanked: 156 times
Been thanked: 70 times

Re: Blue print yir wankel

Post by Dazza44 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:59 am

RobinPZ72 wrote:
Dazza44 wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:45 am
U might have trouble getting the crank balanced, or even finding it ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Does yir rotors just float? Hey I know my terminology is a bit not quite PC, but I do enjoy seeing what things are call for the same thing or corrected!

Robin
I was just having a giggle, ignore me, crankshaft = eccentric shaft

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author Dazza44 for the post:
RobinPZ72 (Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:59 am)

RobinPZ72
Former Member
Former Member
Posts: 1390
Joined: Sat May 19, 2018 4:55 pm
Has thanked: 67 times
Been thanked: 32 times

Re: Blue print yir wankel

Post by RobinPZ72 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:59 am

I'm wanting to eventually rebuild an engine for my car, so just seeing what's what and looking to keep it as much my own work as possible! This is a long-term thing and lots of learning to be had! 1st thing is strip and draw the engines, so remember if anything needed drawing wise for club members please ask as keen to help! Just don't ask for the rotary housing as this will take time before I'm happy with tolerances etc.

Robin



Holly poop

User avatar
ChrisHolmes
Committee Member
Committee Member
Posts: 19144
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:04 pm
RX-8: 231
Colour: Velocity Red
Location: Cheltenham
Has thanked: 5309 times
Been thanked: 2428 times

Re: Blue print yir wankel

Post by ChrisHolmes » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:18 pm

Conan wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:32 am
RobinPZ72 wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:35 am
Ok yes this is probably thought of a waste of time to some, but if done correctly the gains can be eye opening!

I've noticed the massive difference outputs std and even with the same ish tuned engines! This can mostly be due to tolerances of the spinny things being out and yes different oils, fuel, breathing and farting kits and sparky things!

Has anyone just got the engine just balanced and gas flowed?

Does anyone offer crank and rotar balancing?

I'm not saying I know anything about the rotary engines and clearly on here there's guys that do, but I can say I was ok at tuning 2 strokes and other engine's!
Robin
You are correct in your way of thinking
I had my engine built and blu printed by Rotary Revs and recorded 195 BHP at the hubs which equates to 228-231 at the crank (2nd highest recorded at the time)
If you want to see what that drives like look at the video at the start of the PZ suspension group buy
Regards
Pete
That must have cost a pretty penny considering the hours of labour involved measuring and the large pool of components necessary to select from in order to maximise / minimise clearances as relevant for the parts being assembled to each other.
Bridge Ported 231
Light weight Flywheel
Tein MonoSports with EDFC Active
Racing Beat F&R ARBs
Racing Brake 4 Pot Front Calipers
Racing Brake two piece slotted & drilled discs
LED Rear Lights
LED 3rd Brake light with blink effect
MazdaSpeed skirts
Safety Devices Full cage
Royal Steering wheel
Short shifter
Mishimoto Catch Tank

Post Reply

Return to “Naturally Aspirated”