reducing air intake temps

Any form of normally aspirated power mods.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: 231
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Re: reducing air intake temps

Post by warpc0il » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:03 pm

On a related note, if I do ever get around to fitting my ToyoSports exhaust manifold, I'll have a go at creating a heat shield with his stuff
https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/ ... m-x-1000mm

It probably won't impact the air intake temp but it might help the o/s engine mount and the steering uj
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ

delta0
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Aurora Blue Mica

Post by delta0 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:16 am

SeriousSam wrote:
Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:28 am
I think there's a reason for that panel behind the grille, something to do with forcing air through the radiator or keeping it away from the engine to control temperature difference across the block, something like that. If you drive a 231, you've already got a cold air intake in the form of the VFAD in the nose, not sure what the 192 has though since I've never seen one.

You could go with the Racing Beat duct like Dave suggests, or the AEM intake sits in the same position. The VFAD draws air from the same inherent location as those two anyway - there's a gap in that plastic panel, right below your number plate. That's where the intake draws air from, just not quite so directly.
That is correct. The panel in the grill is to block airflow towards the engine as it would cool the front of the engine excessively relative to the rear.
RX8 R3 Aurora Blue Mica

BHR coils+MSD leads, Stage 1 ecu tune, HKS Hybrid oil filter, Idemitsu 10w30, BHR engine mounts, Racing Beat oil cooler lines, Essex Rotary undertray, Racing Beat Revi Intake+Ram Air, Milltek/Pettit cat+catback and Continental SportContact 6

About to add; SuperPro bushes, Racing Beat flywheel, Exedy stage 1 clutch, Pettit Ti flywheel nut, Lockwood grills

sKenDread
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Post by sKenDread » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:37 am

What about methanol injection? Probably OTA on NA's. Wouldn't that reduce intake temps?

08 231 West Midlands

Kia-ora!
RRP Performance Ignition Coil System MKII | RRP Mini Map | RRP COFS | Powerflow Twin Exhaust
Tein Flex Z Coilovers | 245 40r18 Uniroyal Rainsport3
Original engine 80k
Compression 050519 F: 4.38,4.72,4.78 R: 4.83,4.78,4.78
'08 231 PS, Galaxy Grey, Black Leather

350matt
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by 350matt » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:30 am

yes it would but it also adds a fair bit of fuel so you need an ECU re-calibration to make it work or fit an aftermarket ECU so its not trivial
These users thanked the author 350matt for the post:
sKenDread (Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:15 pm)

chiron
Club Member
Club Member

Post by chiron » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:22 pm

My IAT's run +2 degrees above ambient most of the time, they only rise to +15C or more when in stationary city traffic.

I fitted a wrapped tubular manifold and an AEM copy intake running a custom K&N cone filter. It's also been mapped by Carl so the fan temps are reduced too. If I insulated the intake I could probably get IAT to ambient most of the time.

The standard airbox sits above the rad, its a big thermal mass so getting the temps down will be really difficult. That said, and AEM intake will only work properly after MAF scaling with ME or Versatuner
Have a good time, all the time :thumright:

Return to “Naturally Aspirated”