porting ?

Any form of normally aspirated power mods.
Soul
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Import
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Re: porting ?

Post by Soul »

What sort of money are you looking at for that level of rebuild (with clutch/fly) from Haywards chaps (if you don't mine me asking)?
'09 Mazdaspeed Galaxy Grey JDM
^^ Lots of mods ^^ AEM, AgencyPower midpipe, HKS Legamax......
cib24
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231

Post by cib24 »

The pricing at Hayward Rotary could have changed for all I know, but at the time it was:
  • Standard Rebuild (no porting) - £2,500
  • Rebuild with Stage 1 Street Port (no bridge) - £2,750
  • Rebuild with Stage 2 Port and tertiary bridge - £3,000
  • Rebuild with more aggressive and custom porting - Much more than £3,000
I supplied the flywheel and clutch myself (purchased from Mazda Rotary Parts) and they were installed free of charge since the stock stuff needs to be taken out anyway when doing an engine rebuild. All of Hayward Rotary rebuilds are warranted for 2.5 years or 30,000 miles, whichever comes first. As part of the warranty Hayward Rotary requires:
  • a 1,000 mile run-in period followed by a checkup and oil change;
  • Following the run-in period oil, oil filter and spark plugs are to be changed ever 6,000 miles with 10w-40 or 15w-40 mineral or semi-synthetic oil (I change my oil every 3,000 - 4,000 because of how often I go to the track);
  • The engine is warranted for all sorts of use (track days, drag racing, drifting, etc.) and all modifications must be approved by Hayward Rotary;
  • Hayward Rotary doesn't approve of ECU remapping by other parties than themselves;
  • Over revving an engine is not covered and any engine issues due to failed cooling system components is your own fault since you need to make sure they are in good condition (Hayward Rotary checks these things during checkups and services so you shouldn't ever have an issue);
  • Required to only ever use Shell V Power Nitro+ (The car ran best on this stuff before the rebuild anyway and I get Avios points with my Shell card so I'm not complaining); and
  • If you crash your car then the warranty is void.

I had him do a lot of other odd jobs here and there so my total cost was higher than the prices listed above but you get the idea.
1999 Mazda RX-7 Type RS

Mods - Apexi PFC @ 1.00-1.06 bar, AEM WI 250cc/min, Knight Sports DP, RE-A 80mm cat, Fujitsubo exhaust, Greddy SMIC, Koyo N-Flow, Ohlins DFVs, poly bushings, Dixcel FP 17" discs , 17"x8" BBS RG-R, Nankang NS-2R, Project Mu pads.

398 Bhp (340 Whp) @ 6,036 RPM, 350-360 lb/ft (299-307 Wlb/ft) @ 2,900 - 6,100 RPM. - 12 Nov 17

My Build Thread
V8 Power
Former Member
Former Member

Post by V8 Power »

Just a quick update.

1000 mile run in period is now complete and oil/filter change with post run in check at Haywards done.

To echo other opinions, there is definitely more urge throughout the Rev range and if anything the porting has made it more drivable in that there is more urge from lower in the Rev range which means for normal driving fewer gear changes. Once high revs are reached the extra acceleration is very evident with a real rush from 7k to 9.5k
The lighter flywheel is not detrimental to normal driving at all with just an extra couple of hundred revs needed for a clean getaway.

Can't wait to get it back on track!

Big thanks to all at Haywards, they certainly know their stuff and I can highly recommend them.
“Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence " Carl Sagan.
J2daG1990
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Crystal White

Post by J2daG1990 »

I have a question regarding this for in the future if/when my engine gives up.
If for example I was looking at a later stage to Turbo or supercharge my engine, would you advise to go for a street/bridge port? How well do they compliment forced induction?

Thanks
Build Thread for the JDM Inspired R3 - http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/vi ... 04&t=62214
DanBass
Media Team
Media Team
RX-8: PZ

Post by DanBass »

Enlarging and smoothing the exhaust ports will allow more airflow out, which particularly for turbo charging is a benefit. The same for intake ports, more air in is good, as long as its mapped to compensate in terms of fuelling.
'96 NA8 MX-5: MeisterR, and soon to be choo-choo'd
'56 Galaxy Grey PZ: sold

'54 Brilliant Black 192: sold
'54 Titanium Grey 192: rebuilt, sold
'53 plate Velocity Red 192: being rebuilt...still

‘67 Sunset Orange BMW 335D MSport Touring
'01 Topaz Blue BMW 330ci convertible
JeradRx8
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: PZ

Post by JeradRx8 »

I'm getting my engine rebuilt by rotary revs next week, it's a 4 port, I'm looking at a street port option, what differences can I expect and with a remap to benefit from it what whp advantage would you see? I'm not too bothered about the actual whp figures but it'd be nice to know. How does a port effect reliability in the long run? Little to none? (Street port) cheers
2006 Galaxy Grey PZ (#328)
RRP MK3 coils & leads.

Daily : 2014 Midnight Black MINI R55 Clubman Cooper SD (JCW Trim) Engine Comprehensively Reconditioned by me in 2023.

Gone : 2006 Velocity Red 192
Rebuilt and street ported by Rotary Revs in March 2016.
BHR coils MSD leads, JPerformance Cat-back & Dyno'd at 175hp at the wheels. (Sold)
Dr. FrankenRex
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Dr. FrankenRex »

JeradRx8 wrote:I'm getting my engine rebuilt by rotary revs next week, it's a 4 port, I'm looking at a street port option, what differences can I expect and with a remap to benefit from it what whp advantage would you see? I'm not too bothered about the actual whp figures but it'd be nice to know. How does a port effect reliability in the long run? Little to none? (Street port) cheers
Realise it's a little bit later than you were asking, but I had a 4 port rebuilt by Ben up at RR - whilst it was in I had it ported with a large street port and then remapped and the rev limit upped to ~8,750rpm. Made the WORLD of difference. Much stronger pull, much smoother drive and just a general all-round improvement.

Have a chat with Ben, but it's definitely a worth-while mod.
DOC 787B

Club Information Coordinator - Media Team Lead

LM30 VelociBRAPTOR - Josh Scott magic sauce porting, shiny big brakes and a big ole spoiler

Doc's Auto Barn - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7BW_h ... Ym6eGqEIWg
japan4si
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 192
Colour: Winning Blue
Been thanked: 0

Post by japan4si »

Hi Gents,
I am looking to rebuid my 04 192. I have spoken to Rotary Revs and they say that I can get a bridgeport done no problem. I REALLY want it to go BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP... :D but I have also spoken to Rotary motion about this and they say you cant make a 192 RX8 go brap? :(
RotaryMotion are much closer to me and are much cheaper than RR. I understand you get what you pay for but its almost double to go with RR. Anyone got any Braps out of their 192? If so could you make a vid? In addition is there any other mods I should do whilst rebuilding? I will check the rest of the forum for reviews of rotary motion
Simon
japan4si
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 192
Been thanked: 0

Post by japan4si »

In addition to my above post I have just found the above on youtube :D :D :D :D :D

Simon
Eddie_r32
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Eddie_r32 »

My 231 only braps noticeably on start up, it has a slightly lumpy idle, speak to Ryan Rotary Performance, they will tell you straight how it will be and yes I think you get what you pay for, I definitely did with RRP
2007 Galaxy grey 231.
RRP Parts: Full bridge, long tube header, cofs + tanks, pulleys, engine mounts, oil injectors, remap, race cat.
Other: Greddy sump, Autoexe exhaust, autoexe brake brace, ingalls engine brace, ultra racing f+r strut brace, hsd coilovers, whiteline Arbs, 4 pot brakes, r3 Diff, r3 interior and lots more
13Black
Former Member
Former Member

Post by 13Black »

Not sure why you wouldn't be able to, at idle there's little difference between a 231 and a 192. Port overlap is what gives you the distinctive sound, and they're the same on a 231 and 192.

If RM can't give you what you want but RR can, then that seems to be a clear choice to me. I don't recall any of their bridge port engines being put on RR's dyno either so I've no idea what their builds actually give you in terms of power. I know of 3 companies from down south who've taken their builds there to be proven against benchmarks but RM isn't one IIRC. A build that's half the price, I can imagine how that'd go though.

Mods to do while it's apart - main one is increased oil pressure via an uprated oil pressure regulator. The rest is very much personal preference.
Probably get a new clutch while it's accessible.
-= Rotormelon Money Pit Build of Tasteless Questionable Bodgery =-
Experimelon 183whp rebuild | Rotary Revs D585s | PZ Suspension | Hawk & Yellowstuff pads | Extra steering lock | Custom exhaust | Added rearward flames of glory | Unnecessarily repurposed ball gags
-= Clicky click for build thread =-
Lemon
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Lemon »

yeah i'd avoid Rotary Motion like the plague, if you wanted a straight rebuild i would have recommended Tim at RX motors (though he does not believe there is anything to gain on a Renesis from porting it) otherwise it's best to look north.

(though if you really do insist Tim will bridge a Renesis as he did his first one not that long ago and has been doing 12A's and 13B's for nearly 30 years and really knows his stuff)
Thanks, Stu

Mad as anything
Ryan Rotary Performance
Former Trader
Former Trader
RX-8: Supercharged
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Ryan Rotary Performance »

japan4si wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:56 pm
In addition to my above post I have just found the above on youtube :D :D :D :D :D

That's a Ryan Rotary Performance 192 bridge, :)
These users thanked the author Ryan Rotary Performance for the post:
13Black (Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:06 pm)
13Black
Former Member
Former Member

Post by 13Black »

RM chatting nonsense? Well I never.
These users thanked the author 13Black for the post:
Lemon (Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:25 pm)
-= Rotormelon Money Pit Build of Tasteless Questionable Bodgery =-
Experimelon 183whp rebuild | Rotary Revs D585s | PZ Suspension | Hawk & Yellowstuff pads | Extra steering lock | Custom exhaust | Added rearward flames of glory | Unnecessarily repurposed ball gags
-= Clicky click for build thread =-

Return to “Naturally Aspirated”