Is it worth having my 8 remapped now...

Any form of normally aspirated power mods.
MrMalone
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Titanium Grey
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Is it worth having my 8 remapped now...

Post by MrMalone » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:53 am

Hey all,

Quick question, would it be worth having my rx8 (231) remapped now that it running some new engine bits and bobs.

Its been about 6-8months since i fitted my stainless exhaust manifold, de-cat, mid section and back box along with a K&N panel filter. Nothing too drastic but obviously I noticed that since having the manifold and de-cat, it does produce some rather impressive flames occasionally when changing gear.

I assume this means its slightly over-fuelling?? I know the flames are a common byproduct of having it de-catted but i just wondered if now would be an ideal time to have it mapped?
Maybe ill see some additional performance gains too...

Any advice would be great and if anyone can recommend someone in the midlands that can write the new map that would be even better!! :D

Thanks,
Sean

MrMalone
Former Member
Former Member

Re: Is it worth having my 8 remapped now...

Post by MrMalone » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:04 am

Ok, upon further research, i seem to see Group B remaps being mentioned a fair bit. Just had a look at their website and looks as though it could be a good option as they cater for already modified cars. 2 hour steady drive away from me but thats not too much of an issue.

Now its just a question of whether its going to be worth doing, not really sure of what kind of gains i'll get from just the mods i've carried out... ^

Anyone know anything from experience? :)

RX8R3Rod
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Custom

Post by RX8R3Rod » Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:05 am

GroupB (and I believe Pettit Racing) are definitely good, though there probably are others, too.

You can expect around 10 - 20 extra bhp (people will likely argue about the exact numbers) plus some more torque (so on the face of it nothing particularly revelatory) and the car will feel like it delivers it's power significantly more smoothly and easily, the power is distinctly more accessible, and the car is a lot more responsive ... and so overall quite a bit nicer to drive.

When my other half drove a remapped '8 without knowing it was remapped, she immediately noticed the difference, and commented on how much better it felt to drive.

Whether that's worth however much it costs at the moment only you can decide. Some will say absolutely not, some will say you can get more benefit by spending your money elsewhere, some will say yes. Personally I'd say yes, but that's just my opinion. :D
Aluminium R3 Nov 2010
Tein Monosport EDFC Active coilovers, K-Sport BBK 8-pot forge 356mm front, 4-pot BBK 330 mm rear, 20" OZ Ultraleggera, Michelin PS 4 245/30/20, Pettit exhaust, Pettit front and RB rear ARB's, Cusco strut and brake brace, Full Paintshieldx2, Rustmasterx2, and Rustbusterx2, M'Z Custom nose and rear skirts
190 Winning Blue 05-08, R3 Aurora Blue 08-10 ... fabulous friends

tmk
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: Import

Post by tmk » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:17 am

Yes! :)
I think it was the most bang for the buck. Not sure about actual gains beyond claimed numbers, but it feels better (response etc).
RX-8 (2011/PearlWhite) RE Amemiya Redom AType2.0 ECU+Super Intake Box+SportsCat,RMagic TunedMuffler TitanCut,5.125 Final,Tein MonoSport w/EDFC,WedsSport SA55mMGM 18x9.0J,Neova AD08R 245/40/R18,Dixcel SD+IDI GT2 brakes,AutoExe MemberBraceSet, Bride GIAS Carbon,HPI 4pt,MOMO,TRUST InfoTouch+LEG83005,YupiteruGWR53sd,Carrozzeria http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/vi ... 04&t=55428

Flameshades
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Turbo
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by Flameshades » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:54 am

i have a bad feeling this is going to turn into another "if you want power the 8 isnt for you thread"....that being said, is a remap worth the money....there are so many threads on this already and it might be worth a search just to have a read of what has been said in them,

as a few of us are finding out having something that you can Map the 8 with yourself is returning massive gains in making the car run better, weather or not it add power i cannot comment as i dont have a NA 8,

have a look over some of Phil Bates threads about the MazdaEdit software ME as we call it, you can change the map yourself (loads of info on the web about it for the 8) and also when/if you add other bits to the car you can tweak the "Tune" i prefer the word tune for the ME as thats what it is, you are constantly logging and seeing what is going on and "tuning" the ECU to get the best gains out. but there is a price of course, if you are not happy to do it yourself then its going to cost you the remap cost, and possibly again in the future.

my car wouldnt be the way it is at the moment without lots of help on the ECU tuning from a guy on the US forum, but man it made a solid difference straight away.

short answer, yes get it done if you have the money and not modding anymore, if you are going to add bits then get them first try putting the car on a "diet" as weight loss is free horse power and all the other things that will likley come into the thread about why not to remap :)

Will66
Communications Team
Communications Team
Colour: Metropolitan Grey

Post by Will66 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:51 am

You could have it mapped and it would still flame and you'd get a bit more power. Don't expect massive gains but you'll get a few more ponies and some extra mid-range wallop.
RX8OC Met Advisor and Ex-Moderator!
Miss May 2013 with these modifications02 November 2012

Certified Tarmac Terrorist! Evading the colour police since March 2013 :ninja:

Mazda RX8 - The Liv Tyler's Lips of Motoring

Tiny
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Tiny » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:57 am

Another Vote for the MAz Edit software the more I read the more I like.

The ability to make the car more reliable and adjust key features such as the OMP metering and CEL deletion plus easily adjust for upgrades such as the RR coils mean this is very much on my shopping list.
2001 Mitsubishi Space Runner......Or the Red Bus Of Justice!

I no longer work for Apex and cannot under any circumstances recommend anyone use their services for anything.......ever......

MrMalone
Former Member
Former Member

Post by MrMalone » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:56 am

Wow thank you all for your help and advice. I'll have a look into getting it done once I have definitely made my mind up whether I'm finished with any additional mods. Power isn't my main aim with this car, I use it for Show and Shine events mainly, but if there is any horsepower to be freed up then I probably will consider having it done or look more into this ME that you speak of.

Also if it makes the car smoother and more responsive like you say, then that's another reason I should consider getting it done.

Again, thanks very much for giving me a better idea of what to expect. Really appreciate it guys. :)

Lee LRD
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Lee LRD » Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:01 pm

when mine was mapped the power and torque curves mimicked the stock map but just higher up the table, so basically it felt like it delivered the same but just more.
economy was up on a motorway run but around town it really wasnt noticable.
the argument comes down to BHP per £

personally i advise people against mapping N/A cars that only gain small increases unless the person really wants it, as they could end up a bit disapointed and start questioning your work!

turbo petrol.diesels with their 40/50bhp gains obviously are much more pleasing to the paying customer.

Return to “Naturally Aspirated”