DIY tuning/remapping with mazdaEdit and Openport

Any form of normally aspirated power mods.
Phil Bate
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: 231
Colour: Sunlight Silver

DIY tuning/remapping with mazdaEdit and Openport

Post by Phil Bate » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:07 am

This thread is to document and discuss DIY tuning with the [urlw=http://www.epifansoft.com/mazdaEdit-screenshots.html]mazdaEdit[/urlw] software from epifansoft and the [urlw=http://www.tactrix.com/index.php?page=s ... &Itemid=53]Openport 2.0[/urlw] from tactrix.

As you probably know this is the only option for DIY tuning in the UK, but there is next to no information about it on the forum and I only know of one other member that has used it so far. After religiously following it's progress over at rx8club for some time, and news of success with the fellow member's UK car I decided to take the plunge and have a go at it myself. I will update this thread with my progress (hopefully others will chime in with theirs too) and we can all have a nice discussion about it, but unlike the other forum let's keep it on track and relevant :)

I thought it would be nice to have a little account of what is involved in getting started and what it will allow you to do before we start talking about MAF scaling and fuel enrichment tables, so here is a sort of mini-guide:

What you need:

An Openport 2.0
This adaptor plugs into your OBD port. It has a USB connector to plug in a PC and download/upload the ECU's ROM. Through mazdaEdit it also allows live data display, CEL clearing and logging like any other OBD adaptor. In addition to this it has a microSD slot which it will write to as a standalone logging tool.

mazdaEdit
ImageImageImage
The software is developed by a Russian guy, and supports the RX8 S1 and R3. With it you can download and edit your ROM, changing pretty much any map/table available to your ECU and disabling CELs, and re-flash it back to your car. It also has a nifty log viewer built in. You can buy either the personal version which is tied to one Openport and one VIN, or the professional version which allows you to remap an unlimited number of cars.

There is a lengthy thread on rx8club.com about it [urlw=http://www.rx8club.com/series-i-engine- ... it-239275/]here[/urlw], where member Brettus talks about his original quest working with the developer to get all the tables defined and goes on to cover a lot of tuning. He seems to have played a big part in getting this working and has provided a lot of good information.

Once you buy the mazdaEdit software, the developer (epifansoft) emails a download link and instructions. When you have installed it the software provides a hardware id for that computer, which is emailed back to epifansoft along with your name and the car it is to be used with.

By return you receive a registration key to activate the software on that computer, and then discover the device string for your Openport to send back to epifansoft along with the VIN for your car..

This gets you registration keys for your Openport and VIN that once entered activate your copy of mazdaEdit with your port and car. (This may vary with the Pro version). You then connect up the PC, Openport and car and download the ROM content from the ECU, which is saved as a file and sent back to epifansoft.

Finally this is sent back to you in a format that you can open in your copy of mazdaEdit. This is your base map that you can review and alter, before flashing it back to the ECU.
Phil's subtle sunlight silver - stronger, faster, with added red bits and stuff engine donor!
Operation Mint - Kuro preservation project
The pimped out Glacier White XE - quintessential British motoring from Jaguar

SteveD
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Re: DIY tuning/remapping with mazdaEdit and Openport

Post by SteveD » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:10 am

WTG Phil. I've been following that thread on RX8Club for a while. I can see possibilities even for a relatively standard car e.g. delete the airpump, increase OMP rates. As the level of tuning increases so will the benefits that can be achieved. Whether it can be made cost effective for individuals is another matter :)
Had a rebuild? Not needed one? Please vote in the Engine Survey thread

olyoz
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by olyoz » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:41 am

Think you need to buy the pro version and tune all our cars Phil :)
Premix and Nitro +
Led interior/side lights, synth gearbox/diff oil, square plate, catch can, powder coated strakes/crest, illuminated gear knob, plastidip badges/indicators, mouse mat mod, Rotary Revs coils, race pipe, custom blueflame backbox pz tips, carbon wrap mirrors, project rx8 engine mounts, ebc ultimax disks, yellow stuff pads, goodridge ss hoses, rb revi duct, spax springs,

Nerdstrike
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Nerdstrike » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:02 pm

Well now, that looks fascinating. I'm super interested in your mapping explorations, just try not to brick it!

Furthermore, I'm mostly interested in the nature of the ECU tables in the standard setup. This stuff is an analyst's happy time!

Phil Bate
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by Phil Bate » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:22 pm

Well I'll be posting them here don't you worry. I know what you mean, they are fascinating and i cant wait to get at them.

I have had my ROM returned to me this morning so I will open it up in mazdaEdit tonight and let you know what I find :)
Phil's subtle sunlight silver - stronger, faster, with added red bits and stuff engine donor!

LaurenRX8
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Custom

Post by LaurenRX8 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:37 pm

Phil, is there anything you can't do?
If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude.

Mike-rx8-newbie
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 192
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Mike-rx8-newbie » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:41 pm

Is this not potentially a can of worms in a mine field to altering maps to a possable negative effect? Intrigued and interested just being sceptical.
Rebuilt 05/13, Exedy clutch, 11lb FlyWheel, Toyo Full Decat system, Walbro 255lph, D585 coils+Magnecor Leads, AEM induction, Sohn

V-power Nitro, 10/40 Fully Synthetic every 3000miles, Premix-Power1 Racing 150ml-200ml

Phil Bate
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by Phil Bate » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:13 am

Yes there is a huge potential to make the car perform badly or even destroy the engine. That is why I won't be changing anything unless I fully understand how it works, what the expected results are and any possible downsides that could occur.

Lauren there are plenty of things I can't do :) and I haven't actually 'done' this yet. I do already have a revised set of values for the ignition dwell map that I want to apply right now, only now it's too late to test the car (I need it to get to work in the morning), so I will try my first reflash tomorrow.

I have my base ROM open in mazdaEdit now and there is a lot of cool stuff to change, I will try and get some screenshots of tables of interest...

Phil Bate
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by Phil Bate » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:44 am

Here are some tables that stand out immediately:

First up the ignition dwell table:
ignition_dwell.jpg
ignition_dwell.jpg (102.99 KiB) Viewed 5297 times
(divide values by 256 for ms)

OMP injector rate:
oil_injection_load.jpg
oil_injection_load.jpg (129.83 KiB) Viewed 5297 times

One of the open loop fuel tables:
open_loop_fuel_1-2.jpg
open_loop_fuel_1-2.jpg (155.55 KiB) Viewed 5297 times

Phil Bate
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by Phil Bate » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:46 am

Perhaps most of interest, a DTC enabled list:
dtc_list.jpg
dtc_list.jpg (41.4 KiB) Viewed 5295 times
- annoyed with the cel for your lack of cat or SAI pump? Switch it off here!

And some useful flat values that may prove handy:
useful_values.jpg
useful_values.jpg (115.28 KiB) Viewed 5295 times

SteveD
Former Member
Former Member

Post by SteveD » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:48 am

Can you delete the airpump and cut down the fuelling on a cold start?

Phil Bate
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by Phil Bate » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:02 am

You can easily delete the pump and disable the CEL here, but I wouldn't cut down the fuelling (I'm not sure it's that easy anyway - I will look into it) - I have read that it's not so much to do with the SAI system but more like using the choke (yes I can remember those :) ) to get the engine running.

SteveD
Former Member
Former Member

Post by SteveD » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:22 am

For sure it needs to be richer on cold start it just seems to be a bit OTT :) I also wonder about OMP delivery rates and if there was a compromise between what the engineers wanted and the marketing department. You can imagine the conversation

"You want it to use how much oil? Cut it down to the minimum we can get away with!"

vic_cambridge
Former Member
Former Member

Post by vic_cambridge » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:42 am

I like the idea of dwell time adjustment, since ive had the rr coils i get a dead zone when im about to pull off at times unless I rev quite high. Would be nice to adjust that so it gives a stronger spark there.
Eibach Lowering Springs, Axial Short Shifter, Tarox F2000 Brake Discs, Braided Brake Lines, K & N Air Filter, Magnecor Leads, Rotary Revs D585 Coils, Toyosport Oil catch can, Rotary Revs Rebuild *SOLD October 2014*

New Ride: Mercedes CLC 220 CDI

Nerdstrike
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Nerdstrike » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:16 am

Ok, so there's not much point to fiddling with the valve/port/duct opening times, or fan temps unless one is boosting. The CEL codes are a no-brainer for your decat.

I'm interested by the AFR shoulder, and it looks like there's a lean blip at 5500rpm, perhaps to anticipate the changing airflow? These inferences all depend upon the extent to which this table controls fuelling, or is an adjuster.

casey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by casey » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:28 pm

Phil, absolutely fascinating stuff =D> watching with great interest at what this software can do!
Club Secretary
Essex Rotary Full Bridgeport

Seibon Carbon Fibre Bonnet
"Racing Brake" front calipers, Racing Beat (RB) ARB's F&R, RB REVI intake, full RB Stainless Steel Exhaust & Mani, 20mm Eibach spacers, KOYO Ali Rad, Lightened Fly, Tein MonoFlex coilovers & strut brace, Axial short-shifter, BHR Coils & Engine Mounts, Greddy Sump
Federal 595RS-R or Rainsport 3

Lineypirate
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Lineypirate » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:15 pm

I have enough engine paranoia and don't know enough to prevent messing with these tables myself but I'm always interested in squeezing a little more out of our cars! Good luck and I'll be watching with interest!
Velocity Red Mica 231 w/ Red and Black Leather / RR Rebuild + Street Port / Nexus Install / K&N Panel / Magnecor 8.5mm Ignition Leads / RX8Performance Engine Mounts / Drilled and Grooved Discs / SS Strakes / Lockwood Grilles / Toyosport Catback / RR D585 Coils / MRP Catch Can / Sokie Tech Bonnet Dampers / Personal Plate ... Always happy to help with spannering around Lincolnshire!

Mike-rx8-newbie
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 192

Post by Mike-rx8-newbie » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:34 pm

Seems very useful I'd love to learn more about this and I wish you luck Phil you got bigger balls then me, I'll probably be eating my words soon and having a play with my set up.
Rebuilt 05/13, Exedy clutch, 11lb FlyWheel, Toyo Full Decat system, Walbro 255lph, D585 coils+Magnecor Leads, AEM induction, Sohn

V-power Nitro, 10/40 Fully Synthetic every 3000miles, Premix-Power1 Racing 150ml-200ml

Phil Bate
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by Phil Bate » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:56 am

I performed my first re-flash tonight =D> just a few simple changes - I disabled the CEL for DTCs 0410 and 0420, and applied a revised ignition dwell map. You simply plug the new values into the relevant tables, save the file, and then open it in the flash utility. From here, after plugging the laptop into the Openport and that into the OBD socket, you turn the key to IGN and hit the Flash to ECU button - and off it goes.
When you start the flash some relays click and the ECU stops activating the throttle (it all goes quiet) which was alarming for a split second, but I quickly realised what it was doing. This process also wipes the trims and resets any DTCs.

It started up fine after, seemingly quicker which would be one of the desired effects from the dwell changes but I need to use it a bit tomorrow to confirm.

Instead of reinventing the wheel for the dwell map and working out the values from scratch I took them from a spreadsheet on rx8club <link to be edited in>. These were extracted from a vehicle that uses the coils as standard. They look about right and are in common use already, so I literally copied the table from the spreadsheet and pasted it straight in to the map in mazdaedit - it is that easy.

This is the table converted into milliseconds:
dwell_new.jpg
dwell_new.jpg (70.23 KiB) Viewed 3866 times
and this is the standard also in milliseconds:
dwell_standard.jpg
dwell_standard.jpg (73.18 KiB) Viewed 3866 times

That should charge the coils a bit more and operate them nearer maximum output.

vic_cambridge
Former Member
Former Member

Post by vic_cambridge » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:59 am

The program is very much like a program I used on my Triumph daytona called 'Tune Ecu' Just plug in, change values hit save and your done. I still think the cable a rip off, your plugging the ecu in to a computer that can do evrything the access port can. have you noticed any differnce since the dwell times changed?
Eibach Lowering Springs, Axial Short Shifter, Tarox F2000 Brake Discs, Braided Brake Lines, K & N Air Filter, Magnecor Leads, Rotary Revs D585 Coils, Toyosport Oil catch can, Rotary Revs Rebuild *SOLD October 2014*

Nerdstrike
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Nerdstrike » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:42 pm

At 9k rpm, each sweep takes 6.7 ms. A 3ms dwell still fits between sparks but it's getting close, particularly around the 5k rpm settings. It appears that the RX8club effort is basically maxed charging times for low voltages. I hope there's no error in the timing.

Phil Bate
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by Phil Bate » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:27 pm

Not sure what your getting at mate, there's loads of time there :scratch:

Vic - there is some expensive looking chippery inside the Openport that is probably not in your laptop, I don't think it's the same interface used for OBD reading, or just a simple serial bus. Anyway you can tell the difference between this and a cheap ELM clone when it comes to logging, and it doesn't cost much more than a real logging tool (if any).

The dwell has made a difference, starting is easier and the engine note has sort of changed under certain conditions, it's hard to describe. I can't conclude anything performance wise as I fixed an out of alignment MAF sensor screen at the same time as the flash - I will have to return the dwell to normal and do another log :roll:

Phil Bate
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by Phil Bate » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:27 pm

Just started the car to go to lunch and it tried to activate the SAI pump for the second time today. As expected this logged a 0410 dtc, but no CEL appeared :)

vic_cambridge
Former Member
Former Member

Post by vic_cambridge » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:47 pm

Phil, what is your car like if you start it after about an hour? Mine takes about 6-7 cranks to fire and I am wondering if this has something to do with Dwell times. At first I thought it was the IAT getting confused but this is too regular for that. My car starts perfect from hot, cold and after half an hour, its just after its been left approx an hour. The car always starts and runs great but would like to nail this down, im not 100% but think it started after fitting my D585 coils.

Phil Bate
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by Phil Bate » Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:12 pm

That's an odd one, my starts are consistent regardless of time left. The dwell has made it quicker but I didn't have any bad starts beforehand :?:

Return to “Naturally Aspirated”