Mini Maps and de-cats

Any form of normally aspirated power mods.
ClarkeyST
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Velocity Red

Mini Maps and de-cats

Post by ClarkeyST »

Bought my '8 a couple of months ago and I'm looking to be doing a couple of mods over the next few months to help keep it in good order.

First up will be a mini map primarily for a cold rev limiter and an increase to the OMP. Are there any that anybody particularly recommends?

I'll also be looking at a decat and was curious if there are any that are better/quieter than others? It will eventually be paired with an aftermarket exhaust, probably a racing beat, but that'll be further down the line,so I'm not looking for anything overly loud.
The '8 - 2007 Velocity Red 231

The Daily - 2014 Soul Red Mazda6 2.2 Sport Nav Tourer
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Re: Mini Maps and de-cats

Post by PaulAV »

As far as the mini map, Nick Black is Chichester way I believe, decent guy.
These users thanked the author PaulAV for the post:
willberry70 (Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:46 am)
Led side lights, purple Led interior & puddle lights, pz grills, Ryan rotary performance coils, sump, engine mounts & sohn, HME engine rebuild at 50k, RRP exhaust & high flow cat, racing beat revi intake including scoop, quick shifter, alloy filler cap, pz alloys, suspension, mazdaspeed spoiler, japspeed toe arms & hardrace camber arms, RRP custom remap
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il »

Ryan Rotary Revs offer a remap by post, which includes a number of options.
They also offer a remote bespoke mapping, based on full power runs collected on a laptop, though this would be better done after you'd made any physical changes.

You might want to consider the insurance implications of a decat.
No insurer can legally cover a decat as "a declared modification" on a car that requires it for the MOT.
If you have a modification to a car that isn't declared, then your policy is void.
If you're involved in (not necessarily responsible for) an accident, and it is discovered that you have a decat, then your insurer can just walk away, cancelling your policy.
If you are at fault in such an accident then vehicle and personal injury claims can come to 10's of thousands, leaving you bankrupt.
If you get stopped in a roadside check (as Police/VOSA often setup on the roads to/from events) and your cat is found to have a decat, it can get towed away, while you get fined for both the Conditions and Uses offence, and driving without insurance.

Some people say" this will never happen to me", while it's happening to others every day.

A 200 CEL cat gives the same performance as a decat and, if you buy the right one, is even Type Approved, so fully legal.
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
ClarkeyST (Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:09 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
Milos_Balunovic
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Milos_Balunovic »

On minimap things to be done:
Temperature switcher
Max speed limits
Omp rate
Idle rpm (the hot one).
I would never bother eith intake unless its Racing beat as pthers in best case do nothing, or most often lose power.
These users thanked the author Milos_Balunovic for the post (total 2):
ClarkeyST (Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:09 pm) • willberry70 (Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:47 am)
ClarkeyST
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ClarkeyST »

Thanks for the feedback guys.

The decat I am looking at doing for a longevity point of view rather than performance, would a 200cel sports cat suffer from the same pitfalls as a standard cat?

Thanks for the tips Miles, they are pretty much what I'm looking to achieve, I guess I'll have to do more of my own research on ghat one.
I have no plans for intake mods for that very reason.
The '8 - 2007 Velocity Red 231

The Daily - 2014 Soul Red Mazda6 2.2 Sport Nav Tourer
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member

Post by PaulAV »

A high flow cat can fail and block the same as a standard car, but it's probably less likely as it's freer flowing to start with, generally if your ignition is good you won't have a problem with as half decent high flow(metal honeycomb as opposed to ceramic) plus you won't stink of exhaust fumes all the time
Led side lights, purple Led interior & puddle lights, pz grills, Ryan rotary performance coils, sump, engine mounts & sohn, HME engine rebuild at 50k, RRP exhaust & high flow cat, racing beat revi intake including scoop, quick shifter, alloy filler cap, pz alloys, suspension, mazdaspeed spoiler, japspeed toe arms & hardrace camber arms, RRP custom remap
350matt
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by 350matt »

I'd agree with Paul
I've been running a 300CEL aftermarket unit on mine for the last 4 years and 40K miles
only recently has it failed ( no longer passing MOT) but it hadn't broken up , just poisoned ( I premix on mine) so no longer converting CO correctly so a 'benign' failure

so I have fitted another of the same make and type from this firm
https://www.catsandpipes.co.uk/universal.html
PaulAV
Club Member
Club Member

Post by PaulAV »

You could make your own, jetex sell high quality cat sections that have slip joints so it's just a matter of cutting the old one in the correct position and slotting in a replacement.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

350matt wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:40 am
I've been running a 300CEL aftermarket unit on mine for the last 4 years and 40K miles
only recently has it failed ( no longer passing MOT) but it hadn't broken up , just poisoned ( I premix on mine) so no longer converting CO correctly so a 'benign' failure
There's no reason why premix should poison a cat, unless you're adding massive amounts, say over half-litre per tank.

Cats get poisoned by very rich mixtures, or other causes of unburnt fuel in the exhaust such as;
- letting the engine idle when cold rather than driving immediately.
- removing the Secondary Air System and only disabling the CELs rather than stopping the extra fuel load.
- running with a contaminated MAF or a failing IAT sensor
- failing ignition components
- inappropriate PCM changes to the fuel mapping.

I've been premixing since 2007, 100-150ml per tank on the road and twice as much on track days, and so far my 2004 oem cat has been happy to pass emissions every year.
PewPewMatt (Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:45 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
350matt
Club Member
Club Member

Post by 350matt »

I suspect your OEM cat has a much much higher loading of precious metal than my aftermarket one, hence it runs hotter and burns it all off
Milos_Balunovic
Club Member
Club Member

On two stroke cats, they whitstand the 2-3% premix without any problem for many hours. Its the temp that kils tham mainly.

Re the cold engine enrichment. Do you know where that setting is? Versa tuner or M.E.?
350matt
Club Member
Club Member

Post by 350matt »

On ME there's no warm fuelling edit available

don't know about versatuner
Milos_Balunovic
Club Member
Club Member

I haven't found it in VT either.
Donal
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: Nemesis
Colour: Stormy Blue
Been thanked: 0

Post by Donal »

warpc0il wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:34 pm
Ryan Rotary Revs offer a remap by post, which includes a number of options.
They also offer a remote bespoke mapping, based on full power runs collected on a laptop, though this would be better done after you'd made any physical changes.

You might want to consider the insurance implications of a decat.
No insurer can legally cover a decat as "a declared modification" on a car that requires it for the MOT.
If you have a modification to a car that isn't declared, then your policy is void.
If you're involved in (not necessarily responsible for) an accident, and it is discovered that you have a decat, then your insurer can just walk away, cancelling your policy.
If you are at fault in such an accident then vehicle and personal injury claims can come to 10's of thousands, leaving you bankrupt.
If you get stopped in a roadside check (as Police/VOSA often setup on the roads to/from events) and your cat is found to have a decat, it can get towed away, while you get fined for both the Conditions and Uses offence, and driving without insurance.

Some people say" this will never happen to me", while it's happening to others every day.

A 200 CEL cat gives the same performance as a decat and, if you buy the right one, is even Type Approved, so fully legal.
[/quote)

I had bought a "high flow cat" (unsure of the CEL count, but not high) because when I'd bought the car the original cat had broken up. 1st MOT in NI pass, no problems. Had to put it off the road a few years. Ran it to hot on the street every few weeks, I know bad idea for the longevity of the engine. But took it for the test again about 6 months ago, again passed NI emmiaons no problem. I had also fitted a stainless cat back between MOT's.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

NI MOT emissions test is just at idle, not idle and "fast idle" like the rest of UK.
It's the "fast idle" that catches out marginal cats.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
Donal
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: Nemesis
Colour: Stormy Blue
Been thanked: 0

tRe: Mini Maps and de-cats

Post by Donal »

I see, I would have thought I'd polluted the new cat with cold starts on tickover till warm. Having said that, I thought I'd have failed on noise. Having to stand outside (new regulations) I could hear a few revs and a few bangs from the test. Was genuinely suprised with a pass.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il »

I find the new regime less stressful and it seems to have given them more leeway. ;)
Donal (Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:18 am)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™

Return to “Naturally Aspirated”