DIY tuning/remapping with mazdaEdit and Openport

Any form of normally aspirated power mods.
Ryan Rotary Performance
Sponsor Trader
Sponsor Trader
RX-8: Supercharged
Colour: Brilliant Black

Re: DIY tuning/remapping with mazdaEdit and Openport

Post by Ryan Rotary Performance » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:48 am

350matt wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:27 pm
Well trying to be a bit keen really as reading up on some old technical papers rotarys are very mixture tolerant in terms of misfire so wondered if i could pull back the cruise AFR to 15.5 or something similar to save a little fuel
There are ways to make the engine run leaner within Mazdaedit through the closed loop correction tables, and in some areas you can achieve more economy without creating excessive EGT.

Although I asked the question as its a misconception that running leaner 'full stop' helps with economy, you really need to understand the relationship with pedal effort along with asking the car to run leaner. In some areas of the data set (map) the car will produce more torque at say 14.4:1 rather than the Stoichiometric ratio and leaning this out further just lowers the torque further which is why you may end up increasing pedal effort negating any 'lean burn' benefit. In this scenario all you would have achieved is additional heat within the system.

If you are going down this path then get plenty of data and try to be consistent with the roads you use and watch those EGTs.

350matt
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by 350matt » Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:54 pm

thanks for this Carl

I'm presuming the closed loop table you edit to change the closed loop target then are the Closed loop fuel correction A & B where the table is is a percentage? so this is a factor of 14.7 then ?
and I get what you're saying that of course any loss of torque can end up with the driver trying to overcome this with larger throttle openings so you're back to where you started

Ryan Rotary Performance
Sponsor Trader
Sponsor Trader
RX-8: Supercharged
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Ryan Rotary Performance » Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:37 pm

350matt wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:54 pm
thanks for this Carl

I'm presuming the closed loop table you edit to change the closed loop target then are the Closed loop fuel correction A & B where the table is is a percentage? so this is a factor of 14.7 then ?
and I get what you're saying that of course any loss of torque can end up with the driver trying to overcome this with larger throttle openings so you're back to where you started
The values in the closed loop table are added to the open loop table, so negative numbers make it richer, positive numbers leaner. do a bit of VE tuning first to get the STFTs steady then start adjusting this.

Really need to release Ep03 of my tuning guide!

SmuttyHutty
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 192
Colour: Nordic Green

Post by SmuttyHutty » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:30 pm

Ryan Rotary Performance wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 5:37 pm
350matt wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:54 pm
thanks for this Carl

The values in the closed loop table are added to the open loop table, so negative numbers make it richer, positive numbers leaner. do a bit of VE tuning first to get the STFTs steady then start adjusting this.

Really need to release Ep03 of my tuning guide!
If you want a 192 to demonstrate on then I'm happy to pop over to Stonham! You kindly did the mini-map on mine in the summer.

Return to “Naturally Aspirated”