Is porting for power a myth?

Any form of normally aspirated power mods.
Dr. FrankenRex
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Velocity Red

Re: Is porting for power a myth?

Post by Dr. FrankenRex » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:34 pm

I'm no expert (understatement) however this is based from conversations with Josh. I can't go in to specifics, but the exhaust ports on my engine are far larger than those of a stock Renesis engine. The overlap isn't as pronounced as you might think (given the brappy nature of the engine at idle). As such it should be OK with boost. The question would then come to whether the engine is matched to the turbo in the greddy kit - I can't comment on that as I honestly wouldn't know where to begin.

If you're serious about the 'in the name of science' remark then I can have a chat with Josh about how easy/ difficult it would be to bolt the kit up to my engine for a few test runs - I'm not expecting it to be simply swapping out an airbox for a back to back dyno run obviously, but if the labour costs (and the subsequent mapping) wasn't horrific then it's something I'd be open to exploring.
FrankenRex2, leaner and meaner. RR Full Bridge rebuild with Race Extension porting, Cusco Strut Brace, RB Header, RB Dual Res Decat, Pettit Catback, Eibach lowering springs, Maserati 6 pot brakes, braided brake lines, custom built DRLs, track wheels, Custom front and rear lights, braided clutch line, RB ARBs - the list goes on!

Velocity_Dan93
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Velocity Red

Re: Is porting for power a myth?

Post by Velocity_Dan93 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:07 pm

Dude I’ve always been about the science ! How do you think I’ve blagged this to my girlfriend for so long. I just said it’s experiment engineering work which sounds way less childishness that “spinning Doritos of unreliable doom” :lol:
Like I said, no time soon, but option is defiantly there. Labour costs I (hopefully) will be able to provide and ramp and pizza facilities to get any labour work done.
These users thanked the author Velocity_Dan93 for the post:
Dr. FrankenRex (Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:45 am)
VR Mazdaspeed with lambo doors yo!
more development in process 8)

Return to “Naturally Aspirated”