Forge Action Day 2019
Saturday 7th September | Castle Combe

Club stand display | Exclusive Club track session | The ever popular drift team displays | Show and Shine competitions & more

£15 per car (Admits the driver and up to 3 Passengers) | Under 17's go FREE! And do not need a ticket.

DIY tuning/remapping with mazdaEdit and Openport

Any form of normally aspirated power mods.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: 231
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Re: DIY tuning/remapping with mazdaEdit and Openport

Post by warpc0il » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:43 pm

This would also be a good time to mention that not all "mini-maps" are the same and therefore, just because a car has been "mini-mapped" for D585's by one vendor, doesn't mean it is set the same as another vendor would have done - it's not just a simple "switch".

Time is also a factor, in that many vendors have learnt over the years and what they would do now could be significantly different to what they were doing nine years ago.
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
exiled--viking (Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:07 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ

Phil Bate
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: 231
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Re: DIY tuning/remapping with mazdaEdit and Openport

Post by Phil Bate » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:45 am

Indeed. Where available, using the specifications from the coil manufacturer is key however it's quite trivial to run the coil and watch the current draw under charging to establish the ideal dwell figure if not available. I always check that it gets a chance to fully discharge too - there's no point loading the coils up only for them to be interrupted half way through a spark for the next charge event.
Duty cycle is a bit of a shot in the dark if you don't have it so you have to make a call taking into account the design of the coil, how beefy it is and what heat management it has in comparison to similar units with known values. But that said, I think all our trusted aftermarket coil suppliers have detailed technical specs for their coils these days and supply tables to suit.

It has moved on a bit from when we were all using that same GM table for every LS2 clone :D

13Black wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:53 pm
if you ever get round to lighting your scope up again

This does need to happen - as soon as I get my new multi-channel scope I'll be calling for samples :D
Phil's subtle sunlight silver - stronger, faster, with added red bits and stuff engine donor!
Operation Mint - Kuro preservation project
The pimped out Glacier White XE - quintessential British motoring from Jaguar

Return to “Naturally Aspirated”