So what do we think?

Any form of normally aspirated power mods.
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Re: So what do we think?

Post by Delanor » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:56 pm

The whole website is a touch ambiguous it doesn`t say a lot really with no independent backup for their claims considering it is such a revolutionary system for the internal combustion engine that is boldly going where no other exhaust has gone before and for the price quoted you would want to be 100% certain that it delivered as claimed.

Del.
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, K & N filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, DIY AC Delco D585 coil conversion, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: 231
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:27 pm

Has anyone checked to see if Mike Brewer or Edd China have shares in the company?

Did you know that the theme tune for Wheeler Dealers is by a group called "The Wideboys"
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ

SeriousSam
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by SeriousSam » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:33 am

Doubt it. Any of the products or companies showcased on Wheeler Dealers are specifically not mentioned by name, but I imagine there's some high-level corporate promotion going on. Any deal like that would be done with one of the production companies involved as opposed to the two frontmen. Otherwise you'd see them using certain things more often. For example I think Edd has a sponsorship deal with C-Tek, pretty much every clip of him in his workshop has one of their chargers in it.
To Do List: HKS CAMP2 install; cruise control; new exhaust; detail paintwork, possible respray

Done: Hayward Rotary rebuild and stage 2 port; Racing Beat ARBs, adjustable front droplinks, ram air intake and lightened flywheel; Exedy stage 1 clutch; Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs; Koyo radiator; heated front screen; EBC redstuff pads all round

Dr. FrankenRex
Communications Team
Communications Team
RX-8: R3

Post by Dr. FrankenRex » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:45 am

Well, I've had a few emails going back and forth. They say that the nature of the exhaust system means that it needs to be placed in a specific location which would be determined based on testing.

They have invited me to their offices for the day and are willing to do a cost-price system designed and built for the RX on the proviso that I take the car to a dyno to get it tested back to back with my existing exhaust setup.

It's certainly interesting and, given the cost that they've quoted, sounds like it could be good for the craic. They are a fair trek from me, but am currently mulling it over. Whilst I agree that this is most likely snake-oil, a fully custom built 3" stainless exhaust system for the price they've given me is somewhat tempting :lol:

And I'd keep the old zorst so if it melts itself or is just generally pants I lob it back on. Might discuss a deal where if there's no tangible benefit or gains then I give it back and get my cash back...
FrankenRex2, leaner and meaner. RR Full Bridge rebuild with Race Extension porting, Cusco Strut Brace, RB Header, RB Dual Res Decat, Pettit Catback, Eibach lowering springs, Maserati 6 pot brakes, braided brake lines, custom built DRLs, track wheels, Custom front and rear lights, braided clutch line, RB ARBs - the list goes on!

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:47 am

It would be rude not to take them up on the offer
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by warpc0il » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:48 am

SeriousSam wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:33 am
Doubt it. Any of the products or companies showcased on Wheeler Dealers are specifically not mentioned by name, but I imagine there's some high-level corporate promotion going on. Any deal like that would be done with one of the production companies involved as opposed to the two frontmen. Otherwise you'd see them using certain things more often. For example I think Edd has a sponsorship deal with C-Tek, pretty much every clip of him in his workshop has one of their chargers in it.
Didn't Edd have a stake in that de-carbonising company, or at least their UK distributor - the name escapes me now.
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™

Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Post by Delanor » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:08 pm

Surely £995 + VAT bearing in mind that is with a 25% discount for a Fiesta means a system for an RX-8 is not going to be cheaper than that. :-k

Del.
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, K & N filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, DIY AC Delco D585 coil conversion, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.

SeriousSam
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by SeriousSam » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:21 pm

warpc0il wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:48 am
SeriousSam wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:33 am
Didn't Edd have a stake in that de-carbonising company, or at least their UK distributor - the name escapes me now.
If it's the one they demonstrated in the workshop once, that would be Terraclean. Which if you watch it back, it's blacked out on all of the cans and machinery in hilariously amateur fashion - black electrical tape on everything :D

Dan, what was the quote for the full custom system if you don't mind my asking mate, and was that cat back or including a manifold? Obviously the price is based on it being a development unit, so production versions would be more expensive, but are we talking sub-£1000?
To Do List: HKS CAMP2 install; cruise control; new exhaust; detail paintwork, possible respray

Done: Hayward Rotary rebuild and stage 2 port; Racing Beat ARBs, adjustable front droplinks, ram air intake and lightened flywheel; Exedy stage 1 clutch; Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs; Koyo radiator; heated front screen; EBC redstuff pads all round

Dr. FrankenRex
Communications Team
Communications Team

Post by Dr. FrankenRex » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:38 pm

Delanor wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:08 pm
Surely £995 + VAT bearing in mind that is with a 25% discount for a Fiesta means a system for an RX-8 is not going to be cheaper than that. :-k

Del.
They said that a normal exhaust build starts at £895+VAT so it certainly isn't cheap... But the price they've quoted me is cheaper than a new CobraSport catback ;)
FrankenRex2, leaner and meaner. RR Full Bridge rebuild with Race Extension porting, Cusco Strut Brace, RB Header, RB Dual Res Decat, Pettit Catback, Eibach lowering springs, Maserati 6 pot brakes, braided brake lines, custom built DRLs, track wheels, Custom front and rear lights, braided clutch line, RB ARBs - the list goes on!

350matt
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by 350matt » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:43 pm

well rude not to really
presumably you would have to leave the car with them for a bit while they get it all to fit?
also it'd be good to get a back pressure measurement precat on both systems to verify the claims

and 1 last thing is if it really does drop back pressure then there's more power to be had by advancing the spark - but you have to tread carefully here

Dr. FrankenRex
Communications Team
Communications Team

Post by Dr. FrankenRex » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:59 am

Well, when I pick the new RX up I am planning on getting Ryan Rotary to remap it - so thinking of getting this done post-exhaust installation and testing.

Watch this space, there might be a fully custom built exhaust for sale for an R3 shortly after :lol:

Or a Milltek... :P

SeriousSam
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by SeriousSam » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:17 pm

Ah, so yours is an R3. Obvious when you look at either your avatar or signature. Interesting, that means there might be scope for an S1 development car as well. I'll keep my eye on this, since my exhaust definitely wants replacing at some point - if your experience is good, the finished product sounds right, and they end up needing an S1 test mule, I may volunteer. If I can blag the wife, that is...

Dr. FrankenRex
Communications Team
Communications Team

Post by Dr. FrankenRex » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:55 am

Happy to swing back via yours if I go for it for you to have a listen and a look-see. I reckon they could be persuaded for another testimonial and test-i-mule-ial

SeriousSam
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by SeriousSam » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:53 am

Perhaps you underestimate the scale of the 'if' I mentioned above ;)

But yeah, if it goes ahead I would like to hear what it sounds like. I'm really quite particular about exhaust sounds, so hearing it before taking the plunge would be great :)

I'll let you know about that steering wheel when I'm back in the UK again by the way :thumleft:

350matt
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by 350matt » Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:26 pm

Any updates chaps?

Dr. FrankenRex
Communications Team
Communications Team

Post by Dr. FrankenRex » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:17 pm

I've only just seen this. I've had some things to do with moving house and all manner of things so didn't progress this any further I'm afraid.

Return to “Naturally Aspirated”