Turbos? Superchargers? Step this way...
andybird
Former Member
Former Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

OMP and boost

Post by andybird »

I am having a debate with myself on facebook about the OMP and boost, going something like this!

What does the omp do with the vacuum signal from the inlet manifold? Im told it needs not to see boost so would have to be pre turbo which causes abit of an issue with my rear turbo idea as I will have to run twin intakes.

Anyone got any experience with Greddy turbos or superchargers and moved this?

Reading this

http://www.rx7club.com/single-turbo-rx- ... es-186477/

I think that if I route the line to the other side of the throttle body it should work as it needs.

Apply the principal like when you run a boost gauge and plumb it in before the throttle body you only see boost but beyond the throttle body you see boost and vacuum?

If it just needs a vacuum surely you could just connect a small filter on the end of the line and run it that way eliminating the interface with the trunk?

The fbw throttle and rpm interface would still be there to meter oil based on load and rpm and the intake stroke creates the vacuum to pull the oil in does it not?

Am I talking rubbish?

http://www.rx7club.com/3rd-generation-s ... en-846007/

Reading this post just running the vacuum line to atmosphere with a small filter should work?
Phil Bate
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Sparkling Black

Re: OMP and boost

Post by Phil Bate »

The hose to the oil injector array is simply to allow the injectors to pass air during the intake stroke so that the low pressure does not cause oil to be drawn from them and the feed lines. Don't vent to atmosphere as this will result in unmetered air entering the engine (aka a vacuum/intake leak). Plumb it anywhere after the MAF sensor - as the injectors feature one way valves this can even be post-turbo if needed, but it must be metered.
Phil's subtle sunlight silver - stronger, faster, with added red bits and stuff engine donor!
Operation Mint - Kuro preservation project
The pimped out Glacier White XE - quintessential British motoring from Jaguar
Phil Bate
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by Phil Bate »

In simpler terms, the hose is not a vacuum feed - it's a breather so that the engine can suck air through the injectors on the intake stroke instead of oil :)

If you do plumb it on the boost side make sure you put clips on this hose and the four small hoses to the injectors.
Phil's subtle sunlight silver - stronger, faster, with added red bits and stuff engine donor!
andybird
Former Member
Former Member
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by andybird »

Phil

Thank you. The clips to prevent blow off yes?

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk
Phil Bate
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by Phil Bate »

Yes, every hose post-turbo should be clipped or otherwise secured to avoid any surprises :)

Return to “Boost Junkies”