Forge Action Day 2018 | Saturday 8th September | Castle Combe
From non-stop track action to huge club displays and some of the biggest names in the performance scene, this is not to be missed!

Track Action / Drifting Demos / Passenger Rides / RX-8 Club Stand / Show & Shine Competition / Forge Motorsport Exhibitor Village
Tickets available in the Club shop now!

Rotrex Supercharger Kit

Turbos? Superchargers? Step this way...
SardonicGorilla
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Velocity Red

Re: Rotrex Supercharger Kit

Post by SardonicGorilla » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:49 pm

RX8R3Rod wrote:Hi Adam,

Whilst you're doing the checks about different models (192, JDM, etc) it would be helpful if you could ask about the R3, as it has different ECU software than the series 1. :D

Ad thanks for your investigation re warranty.
Yeah if they could do something for the R3 I'd put a deposit down now!

Cheers,
Duncan

Project Thread : SardonicGorilla's - Velocity Red R3 - Visual & Performance Bodywork looked after by Finishline Ltd

AdamRX8
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by AdamRX8 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:09 pm

Hi guys, am currently in brazil, will chase things up when I return next week and update you, thanks.
Mod's - Custom engine to tailpipe, decatted exhaust system, K&N Typhoon Kit with custom cold air feed and airbox lid, Lowered-Offset number plate, custom fitted Brembo 4 pot front Motorsport calipers with Ferrari cross drilled discs,15&10mm spacers, powerflex diff mounts, air pump delete, optimum battery, uprated starter, walbro 255 fuel pump, custom 3 gauge pod, yellow stuff rear pads

Soul
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Import
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Post by Soul » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:09 pm

Lucky you!
'09 Mazdaspeed Galaxy Grey JDM
^^ Lots of mods ^^ AEM, AgencyPower midpipe, HKS Legamax......

AdamRX8
Former Member
Former Member

Post by AdamRX8 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:17 pm

Haha, business not pleasure I'm afraid
Mod's - Custom engine to tailpipe, decatted exhaust system, K&N Typhoon Kit with custom cold air feed and airbox lid, Lowered-Offset number plate, custom fitted Brembo 4 pot front Motorsport calipers with Ferrari cross drilled discs,15&10mm spacers, powerflex diff mounts, air pump delete, optimum battery, uprated starter, walbro 255 fuel pump, custom 3 gauge pod, yellow stuff rear pads

California Style
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by California Style » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:13 am

Brazil for the win! Where are you?
Lightening Yellow
SORN Track special from now on!
California Smile
Now with removed whine (boooo!)
Project thread for pics and info

AdamRX8
Former Member
Former Member

Post by AdamRX8 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:20 am

São Paulo, interlagos race track

Phil Bate
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by Phil Bate » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:22 am

Business not pleasure????
Phil's subtle sunlight silver - stronger, faster, with added red bits and stuff
The pimped out Glacier White XE - quintessential British motoring from Jaguar

AdamRX8
Former Member
Former Member

Post by AdamRX8 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:45 am

Haha yeah, mechanic for a race team, not a driver

Phil Bate
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by Phil Bate » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:46 am

I would call that pleasurable business :)

arginite
Former Member
Former Member

Post by arginite » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:55 am

WEC, nice!
What team?

Cymruplayer
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Cymruplayer » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:18 am

If you get the cance, Rio is only 3-4 hour drive and can highly recommend Impanema beach for a night out.

California Style
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by California Style » Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:09 am

AdamRX8 wrote:São Paulo, interlagos race track
haha, now thats a GREAT answer!!!! :D =D> [-o< :mrgreen:
Lightening Yellow
SORN Track special from now on!
California Smile
Now with removed whine (boooo!)
Project thread for pics and info

Flameshades
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Turbo
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by Flameshades » Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:49 pm

Phil Bate wrote:I would call that pleasurable business :)
you would thing so phil but the life is not all it sounds unfortunately

its non stop chaos...track then back to hotel then back to track,
guess it depends on what type of racing and who for, but its long hours low pay :(

AdamRX8
Former Member
Former Member

Post by AdamRX8 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:14 pm

Haha yeah, got it in one!

Phil Bate
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by Phil Bate » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:35 pm

I stand corrected!

AdamRX8
Former Member
Former Member

Post by AdamRX8 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:30 pm

OK guys, sorry for the delay

The kit will be available for all models of RX8 i.e. 192, 231, R3, JDM etc etc

Every car will be individually mapped so that each car is at its optimum which will also allow it to be ideally matched to each engine as all vary depending on condition etc. which I'm sure you all understand and appreciate. This will be done at and by Group B Motorsport in Chester, North Wales.

It is likely that the only other modification required for this will be an uprated fuel pump, this will be included in the kit when fitted. Gearbox, Brakes, Coils, Clutch etc. providing these are in a reasonable condition in the first place should be more than able to cope with the power gains, providing of course you drive it appropriately. These modifications would be down to you to update/replace if/when required.
If we find that injectors etc also need uprating for the kit to operate correctly and safely these will be included in the kit however the OEM parts should be more than adequate.

As before the kit itself will come with a 2 Year warranty which will cover the kit components, any engine issues etc will not be covered.

There will be a range of power gains depending on which Rotrex charger unit you choose, with no price difference, between 30% and 70% increase in power, a definitive power figure will be dependant on the condition of engine before the kit is fitted. But one thing for sure is the car will be much more drivable with significantly more low down torque and much better peak power making it the car we all wish it could be!

I am hoping to move this project along as soon as possible and to help me do that I need people to commit and willing to place a deposit, with contract, for a kit.

SardonicGorilla
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by SardonicGorilla » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:28 pm

Is it too soon to talk numbers, i.e. how much for the deposit, final cost, number of people needed before its a green light?

This is very exciting news though! :D
Duncan

Project Thread : SardonicGorilla's - Velocity Red R3 - Visual & Performance Bodywork looked after by Finishline Ltd

AdamRX8
Former Member
Former Member

Post by AdamRX8 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:40 pm

looking for a deposit of £500, more if possible (will just be deducted off final figure for you personally) final cost £3000-4000 +VAT +Fitting depending on costings once the first kit is produced. Ideally 5-10 people for the go ahead.

I am really excited about it and can't wait to start the ball rolling

Will66
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Metropolitan Grey

Post by Will66 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:51 pm

If anyone didn't expect that cost figure, then what were you thinking?
RX8OC Met Advisor and Ex-Moderator!
Miss May 2013 with these modifications02 November 2012

Certified Tarmac Terrorist! Evading the colour police since March 2013 :ninja:

Mazda RX8 - The Liv Tyler's Lips of Motoring

Bulldog
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Bulldog » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:58 pm

Adam I am really keen on this however ... I cant see any firm costs, dates or anything that makes me think its been well thought out just a request for a deposit. 3-4k + vat + fitting .. thats pretty vague .. is it £3600 and £300 fitting or £4800 and £1200 fitting?

If this is going ahead on a stock ecu then I want to see it running before I even consider it so they need to produce a test kit and fit it to a demo car ....
It is by going down into the abyss that we recover the treasures of life. Where you stumble, there lies your treasure.

More info in my project thread

Worry about your character, not your reputation. Your character is who you are, and your reputation is who people think you are.

Bulldog
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Bulldog » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:09 pm

Might also be worth looking at this ...

http://www.tracmac.com.au/products1.html
It is by going down into the abyss that we recover the treasures of life. Where you stumble, there lies your treasure.

More info in my project thread

Worry about your character, not your reputation. Your character is who you are, and your reputation is who people think you are.

AdamRX8
Former Member
Former Member

Post by AdamRX8 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:27 pm

Exact pricing, and fitting costs won't be known until the first kit has been produced and tested, if it is a simple enough fit as we are hoping then it will come in at the bottom end of the budget, if more complex with more CNC parts then the cost will go up, if the fitting is straight forward then it will be a lower fit price but of injectors need to be swapped and it is more complex, which it shouldn't be, then the price will be higher. Please respect that it is still pre production and the deposits I am asking for are to help with development costs so this can happen and move faster and I don't know any dates as it hasn't been given the go ahead yet due to lack of funds. The deposits will also allow us to gauge whether a few kits will be sold or a reasonable number sold and if it is even worth doing commercially. Once the first kit has been produced and tested the exact costs will be known and lead times for kits to be produced and available for fitting known.

Have already seen and enquired about the tracmac kit and they are currently testing the kit and looking to have it on the market mid 2014, I myself am not overly keen on their solution as the mounting orientation is compromised and an intercooler would be preferable rather than a charge cooler. Mounting the supercharger in front of the engine will be a much neater and better solution as the heat management will be better, piping easier and no need to relocate components such as coils etc from underneath the inlet manifold. Plus you get to see the beautiful CNC brackets and Rotrex supercharger unit, rather than hiding it away behind a big charge cooler box

Will66
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Metropolitan Grey

Post by Will66 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:36 pm

This
AdamRX8 wrote:Plus you get to see the beautiful CNC brackets and Rotrex supercharger unit, rather than hiding it away behind a big charge cooler box
Puts me off to be honest. If the charge cooler is the better option for power and efficiency then why not.
RX8OC Met Advisor and Ex-Moderator!
Miss May 2013 with these modifications02 November 2012

Certified Tarmac Terrorist! Evading the colour police since March 2013 :ninja:

Mazda RX8 - The Liv Tyler's Lips of Motoring

AdamRX8
Former Member
Former Member

Post by AdamRX8 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:45 pm

What information do you have that proves it better for power and effiency? Charge coolers are usually only used when an intercooler isn't suitable or you are building a drag car

AdamRX8
Former Member
Former Member

Post by AdamRX8 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:49 pm

Besides you are moaning at high costs and now suggesting charge cooler rather than intercooler which is not only much more expensive but much more complex

Return to “Boost Junkies”