Turbos? Superchargers? Step this way...
Will66
Communications Team
Communications Team
RX-8: 231
Colour: Metropolitan Grey

Re: Rotrex Supercharger Kit

Post by Will66 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:53 pm

I don't have any information specific to the relative efficiency I just was pointing out that if you're after power then aesthetics aren't a consideration I'd look at initially.

Also, who is moaning about costs? I pointed out that the ballpark figure you produced was what should be expected for such an endeavour.
RX8OC Met Advisor and Ex-Moderator!
Miss May 2013 with these modifications02 November 2012

Certified Tarmac Terrorist! Evading the colour police since March 2013 :ninja:

Mazda RX8 - The Liv Tyler's Lips of Motoring

benedunn
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by benedunn » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:01 pm

Im interested in this and may even consider helping out in getting it off the ground both financially and working with Rotrex directly for mechanical assistance.

But i have a few reservations to say the least. say they persuade 5- 10 people to hand over there £500's and it becomes a none starter but the money has been invested in trying ... do the people who put there money on the line get anything back?

if only 3 people stump up the £500 and no-one else, what happens then?

i have a pretty clear understanding of the currant market here - and i can tell you that this needs to be marketed around 3.5-4 thousand pounds - fitted and reliable and proven. for £5k i want to see a warranty that would guarantee the engine isnt going to go pop every time you put your foot down - this would also need proving in testing!

I would volunteer to finance this venture but i would need to have a meeting with whoever at rotrex to get something on paper before i would commit to anything.

Asking private individuals to finance this with no real promises and a vague £4000 to £6000 price tag is the sort of thing only a mad man could dream up, i mean seriously?

I deal with customers almost daily that do have real money to spend and having discussed this with some of them at length i can tell you now that taking this route - its going to be a real struggle! The idea is one that there is real space for in the UK market, unfortunately like this, its never going to happen.

Ben
Please excuse the spelling mistakes ^^ :D

I'll second that!

rex 192 b black: red and black interior, chrome mazda alloys, full mazda aero kit (inc spoiler), Full custom painted engine and intake etc, medium street ports intake and exhaust, full toyo system front to back, all round ebc drilled and grooved disks with red stuff pads and fully adjustable meister R coilovers n do i love it :D

olyoz
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by olyoz » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:11 pm

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Premix and Nitro +
Led interior/side lights, synth gearbox/diff oil, square plate, catch can, powder coated strakes/crest, illuminated gear knob, plastidip badges/indicators, mouse mat mod, Rotary Revs coils, race pipe, custom blueflame backbox pz tips, carbon wrap mirrors, project rx8 engine mounts, ebc ultimax disks, yellow stuff pads, goodridge ss hoses, rb revi duct, spax springs,

AdamRX8
Former Member
Former Member

Post by AdamRX8 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:13 pm

I am looking for the whole package, power and a well presented kit which looks good and at home in the engine bay.

I am trying to get a well made kit with great power gains for a reasonable price, don't know what the tracmac kit will cost and is produced in Australia. The Pettit kit in my eyes was massively overpriced and after speaking to group b who were fitters for it the management was not suited for use in the uk and they wouldn't allow them to rewrite any of the mapping to unlock its true potential. Charge coolers are massively expensive and for the application of this kit would be a waste of money
Mod's - Custom engine to tailpipe, decatted exhaust system, K&N Typhoon Kit with custom cold air feed and airbox lid, Lowered-Offset number plate, custom fitted Brembo 4 pot front Motorsport calipers with Ferrari cross drilled discs,15&10mm spacers, powerflex diff mounts, air pump delete, optimum battery, uprated starter, walbro 255 fuel pump, custom 3 gauge pod, yellow stuff rear pads

RX8R3Rod
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Custom

Post by RX8R3Rod » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:53 pm

I applaud your efforts on this Adam, and I very much hope you can get it off the ground.

I do know from talking to the guys at Pettit that although their system was not cheap, no-one was exactly getting rich off it either. The cost charged just reflected the need to recoup significant development and testing costs, provide support, cover component costs (obviously) and make a reasonable margin to reflect the time, effort and risk expended in development.

And I guess that's the challenge you're trying to pick up ... How to make a properly tested product that's reliable (as Ben says doesn't cause the engine to go pop ever time you put your foot down) and fully supported at what is (in this world) a relatively low cost. =D>
Aluminium R3 Nov 2010
Cusco Zero 2 coilovers & ECON, Racing Brake BBK, 20"/18" OZ Ultraleggera, Dunlop Sport Maxx GT 245/30/20/Direzza 245/40/18, Pettit exhaust, Pettit front and RB rear ARB's, Full Paintshield and Rustmaster, M'Z Custom nose and rear skirts, new engine & clutch @ 44,500 miles, and then ...
190 Winning Blue 05-08, R3 Aurora Blue 08-10 ... fabulous friends

VelocityVinnie
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 192

Post by VelocityVinnie » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:02 pm

Pettit dropped a bollock! if they wanted to recoop costs then they should have marketed the kit at a lower price, and should have been prepared to start making a gain over a longer period of time. They cant develop something then exspect to have all there costs covered straight away, it doesnt work like that.

My mate runs a small biz customising musical instruments, it took him quite a long time before he started turning a good gain.

But he new that if he went in too high a cost to the buyer he would sell less and risk folding, and loosing a shed load of investment.

Took him a while, but hes up there now selling stuff to celebs all around the world.

Pettit had something that nobody else produced, and potentialy could dominate the RX8 market with, but they went in too high.........................and foot shot in the

Bulldog
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by Bulldog » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:05 pm

Appears to happen a lot in the rotary world

Engine remaps at £250 would be something I wouldnt think twice about

However, as its £400 its led me to start reading and getting ready to get software and a dyno.
It is by going down into the abyss that we recover the treasures of life. Where you stumble, there lies your treasure.

More info in my project thread

Worry about your character, not your reputation. Your character is who you are, and your reputation is who people think you are.

VelocityVinnie
Former Member
Former Member

Post by VelocityVinnie » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:17 pm

Agreed!

Mike, i bet Ben forgot to give you them Decals i sent you up yesterday didn't he!

benedunn
Club Member
Club Member

Post by benedunn » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:25 pm

i didnt [-X i gave him them so there :P

and mike the syno is my idea!!! your just the brains behind the operation - or should i say the more computer capable brains behind it :roll:
Please excuse the spelling mistakes ^^ :D

I'll second that!

rex 192 b black: red and black interior, chrome mazda alloys, full mazda aero kit (inc spoiler), Full custom painted engine and intake etc, medium street ports intake and exhaust, full toyo system front to back, all round ebc drilled and grooved disks with red stuff pads and fully adjustable meister R coilovers n do i love it :D

Bulldog
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Bulldog » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:28 pm

Im talking Jo into putting a dyno on the drive so I can check my map when I get home from work

Cheers for those Vin there's even one I wont be using :)
It is by going down into the abyss that we recover the treasures of life. Where you stumble, there lies your treasure.

More info in my project thread

Worry about your character, not your reputation. Your character is who you are, and your reputation is who people think you are.

VelocityVinnie
Former Member
Former Member

Post by VelocityVinnie » Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:35 pm

ha, i thought there would be one you wouldnt use lol!!!

And i mentioned Dyno to Ben yesterday, so was it my idea?

Soul
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Import
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Post by Soul » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:54 am

VelocityVinnie wrote:If they wanted to recoop costs then they should have marketed the kit at a lower price, and should have been prepared to start making a gain over a longer period of time. They cant develop something then exspect to have all there costs covered straight away, it doesnt work like that.
This ^^

Get the price right and you'll have owners queuing up for it and you'll make your money back and more by selling lots of units. Price it too high and most people are going to think very hard parting with cash that's multiples of what their car is worth.

I can't see myself stumping up cash to fund something that doesn't exist. Unfortunately someone tends to have to take the hit on the up-front dev cost with something like this. A partnership with someone as respected as Rotary Revs would go a hell of a long way to getting buy-in from most people on the forum I'd say. They also have the finances to help get the demo car running and that would be what tips a lot of people into putting in orders.
'09 Mazdaspeed Galaxy Grey JDM
^^ Lots of mods ^^ AEM, AgencyPower midpipe, HKS Legamax......

Will66
Communications Team
Communications Team

Post by Will66 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:05 am

One of the things that Pettit got right with their kit was they had a car running from when the kit was available and customers could drive it. Hell I got picked up from the station in it when my car was being worked on by them. If there was a demo car with this kit running that one could drive, that there were maybe some dyno figures or 1/4 mile times on then you'd have more takers, particularly if the price was nearer three than four grand.

RX8R3Rod
Former Member
Former Member

Post by RX8R3Rod » Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:15 am

Agreed Will, and I guess that was part of what contributed to the cost.

It was tested, with decent mileage before hitting the market ... and all that costs, sadly.

Otherwise customers become unofficial development mules. Which is fine if they're aware of that and accept the risks of blown engines and whatnot, but not so good if they're not. #-o
Aluminium R3 Nov 2010
Cusco Zero 2 coilovers & ECON, Racing Brake BBK, 20"/18" OZ Ultraleggera, Dunlop Sport Maxx GT 245/30/20/Direzza 245/40/18, Pettit exhaust, Pettit front and RB rear ARB's, Full Paintshield and Rustmaster, M'Z Custom nose and rear skirts, new engine & clutch @ 44,500 miles, and then ...
190 Winning Blue 05-08, R3 Aurora Blue 08-10 ... fabulous friends

Phil Bate
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor

Post by Phil Bate » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:09 am

I plan on becoming my own unofficial development mule with this :)
Phil's subtle sunlight silver - stronger, faster, with added red bits and stuff
The pimped out Glacier White XE - quintessential British motoring from Jaguar

Soul
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Soul » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:11 pm

The Blitz supercharger kit is £2900 from RHDjapan. So probably £3500 with customs etc. Assume it's bolt on fitment, and you've just got mapping. £400 from GroupB or buy Mazdaedit and DIY (like Flameshades is doing with his turbo).

So that's £4k for a fully developed kit. Or am I missing something?

clarky1
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by clarky1 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:28 pm

R & D is so costly in time and money, but has to be done, to sell a product.
Get it right, and you will sell so loads, but asking people to stump up cash for nothing solid at this stage, is very off putting.
I will buy when it's a proven kit, though.

VelocityVinnie
Former Member
Former Member

Post by VelocityVinnie » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:28 pm

R & D is so costly in time and money, but has to be done, to sell a product.
Unless its an Apple product, and in that case they let the customers find the faults [-X :roll:

arginite
Former Member
Former Member

Post by arginite » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:35 pm

No, then it's not a fault with the Apple product but with the way the customer is using it.

Will66
Communications Team
Communications Team

Post by Will66 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:22 pm

The Blitz kit is far from developed. They threw a modular supercharger on there and left it to everyone else to work out. T&W Whites fitted one and had no end of issues with it.

Soul
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Soul » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:41 am

Really? Hmm that's a shame - expected better from a brand name like that :(

brierley4life
Former Member
Former Member

Post by brierley4life » Sun May 11, 2014 4:54 pm

Hmmmm I am new to the forum, but to me it all seems the same SXOC, GT4oc, STDriveRS and now the RX8oc you all want it for nowt. We are a community, we should pay for the development or buy off a company that will give us discount. Put it too the committee and get a vote on it. Still is no good, this is better, they should have done this or that, doesn't cut it. At the moment everybody is loving the Rotary Revs, give them some money and let them crash and burn or fly. I hope the latter :) Get somebody to put a development plan together, with cost and go from there. Or as a forum can't we do this?

brierley4life
Former Member
Former Member

Post by brierley4life » Sun May 11, 2014 4:54 pm

:D

SardonicGorilla
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by SardonicGorilla » Sun May 11, 2014 5:13 pm

Let RotaryRevs crash and burn ... Ben your thoughts? :lol: Its not that simple doing something like this is very time and capital expensive and actually for the returns not worthwhile doing, sorry to say it!
Duncan

Project Thread : SardonicGorilla's - Velocity Red R3 - Visual & Performance Bodywork looked after by Finishline Ltd

brierley4life
Former Member
Former Member

Post by brierley4life » Mon May 12, 2014 9:56 pm

Well stop talking then and let it die. Another thirty plus quid I've wasted, the wife is going to kill me LOL Rotary Revs seems a good investment, so where does my 30+ quid go??? Benadunn is the chairman so he has a vested interest in getting this up and running or are we just chatting the chat. Personally I think 5 1/2 G ain't that bad for 300 bhp car. Think kit car you wouldn't get one for that and it wouldn't be near to 200 horses

Return to “Boost Junkies”