Turbos? Superchargers? Step this way...
Arnie_O
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Turbo
Colour: Velocity Red

Intercooler swaps

Post by Arnie_O » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:16 am

I am planning to run a Greddy turbo setup on my 8 however I suspect the intercooler may be too small for my plans.
So I guess the question is, does anybody know what size intercooler we may be able to fit in the bay while keeping it in a front mount setup.

While V mounts look awesome I don't fancy the heat soak in traffic.... Or do I?
9000rpm 192ps beast. A proud member of the BoostJunkies Club.
Black Halo Racing Ignition Coil Kit & Light Flywheel + many Racing Beat and RE-Amemiya Parts
Essex Rotary Full Bridgeport with GReddy Boost & Essex Rotary Remap
Royal Purple 2 Cycle Premix
Home of RE-Amemiya's Super Dolphin

More Carbon Fiber Than You can Shake a Stick at
My Car Build BIG UPDATE 03/05/2012

Flameshades
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Winning Blue

Re: Intercooler swaps

Post by Flameshades » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:49 am

i think the Greddy intercooler in terms of flow for the size, i think its really good. if you are going to chance it i think you will have to investigate flow rather than size as some of the "cheep" intercoolers with a larger face wont flow as well,

also what front bumper are you going to run, if its stock then you will have to create an opening as i will (remove that black plastic on the front etc)

i think with the heat under the rex bonnet you are going to get loads of heat soak and degrade performance, but on track that might not be the case.

Will66
Communications Team
Communications Team
RX-8: 231
Colour: Metropolitan Grey

Post by Will66 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:53 am

That's as big an intercooler as I've seen and it's on a 3 rotor set-up so it's going to have the capacity for your set-up. It's behind the grille on a MazdaSpeed front end and the grille on the Re-Amemiya front is wider. I can't find the make of it from the build thread.

[urlw=http://www.rx8club.com/rx-8-multimedia- ... ss-196176/]Build thread because 20B.[/urlw]
RX8OC Met Advisor and Ex-Moderator!
Miss May 2013 with these modifications02 November 2012

Certified Tarmac Terrorist! Evading the colour police since March 2013 :ninja:

Mazda RX8 - The Liv Tyler's Lips of Motoring

Flameshades
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by Flameshades » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:56 am

:shock: lord have mercy......look at that turbo.... :shock:

Will66
Communications Team
Communications Team
Colour: Metropolitan Grey

Post by Will66 » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:01 pm

88mm, he's talking about it making 1000 bhp and chewing through driveshafts like they're butter.
RX8OC Met Advisor and Ex-Moderator!
Miss May 2013 with these modifications02 November 2012

Certified Tarmac Terrorist! Evading the colour police since March 2013 :ninja:

Mazda RX8 - The Liv Tyler's Lips of Motoring

Ash
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Ash » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:07 pm

Have a look at or speak to Forge, maybe a larger version of this....

Flows really well in the CRX and it's on boost almost instantly. Agreed the smaller turbo in mine T28 helps with spool time but the IC is not restricting it at all.
2007 RX-8 231PS, BB, RnB INTERIOR, SATNAV, RED ILLUMINATED GEAR KNOB, PIANO BLACK INTERIOR, FULL MAZDA SPEED KIT, MAZDA LOWERING KIT, BLACK POWDER COATED OEM WHEELS
1991 Honda CR-X siR
1993 Honda Prelude H22A SOLD
2005 Lexus IS200 SOLD

BIG-Mal
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by BIG-Mal » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:40 pm

With intercoolers its nit really the overall size that counts

Good design aiding flow works much better, id a forge very similar to the above on my GT4 I was happily running 340 easily on a mid boost level. Length of pipping also needs factoring in as the longer the pipework, the more air needs displacing before you get positive boost in your engine ie "increase boost lag"

That blue 8 "woooooww" now thats what I call a good idea, but the power figure is stupidly crazy if for road use

On a smaller note, lots of ppl fitted cheap eBay coolers and reported good feed back. These coolers Did get tested and even tho they were cheap very large and of a generally regarded poor design
These test "I mean propper testing, thermal, flow, engine output etc" the simple answer
For the cost, the inefficiency of the cooler design was out weighted by the power increase supported. And effectiveness of the general cooler.

Also a lil note with all front mount cooler setups heat soak is the issue, heat soak got solved by a simple upgrade to a chargecooler.
EX faff owner "ST205 GT4 with 338BHP" now a REX-8 owner I love me driving & me cars

Toyo zorst, toyo de-cat to-be fitted, K&N type 2 induction, magnacor ignition leads, NGK laser plugs, updated coil-packs, updated battery, N3Z1 updated starter, carbon fibre door trim.

Plans, carbon fibre coil pack heat shield with cool air flow, also induction kit & radiator heat shield

madder
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by madder » Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:55 pm

oki aston its 600mm wide x 300mm high about 80mm thick its widest point between the ic couplers is 785mm

Image[/url][/img]
Racing brake 4 pots , stage 1 organic clutch, flywheel, Racing beat[/color] Resonated dc..Racing Beat Rev4 catback. COBB AP Black Halo Racing Ignition pack EVO2 race battery
rotorstock 8 fastest 1/4 mile 14.95 secs

Return to “Boost Junkies”