Turbos? Superchargers? Step this way...
GlowingBulb
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Brilliant Black

Nitrous - Anybody actually using it?

Post by GlowingBulb »

I've searched the forum, taken some time to look at the US forum also & if I'm honest I cant find any actual reports of people that have NOS installed & what its like to live with day to day - nothing that is relevant in the last 5 years or so anyway.

I've seen a few threads on here - V8 Power's being the most obvious but the thread ends at the point of install.

Does anybody in the club actually have it installed & can offer a real world opinion?
I'm well up on the theory & happy to buy a WON SB150i but also assume I need a throttle position sensor at a minimum - do I need a controller? Do bad things happen if you activate NOS in 1st when / if the limiter cuts in?
From real world experience does the addition of NOS seriously reduce the life of the engine (not just because I expect it lives longer in the upper rev range because NOS sounds like a lot of fun).

If its fun & gets me 30 more horses at the wheels for around £1k(ish) without limiting the life of my reasonably good condition engine (7's for compression tested a couple of months ago) I may be tempted but if its just a gimmick, a pain to reliably work & is going to cause my engine to pop then I'll just forget about it.

Cheers!
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Re: Nitrous - Anybody actually using it?

Post by warpc0il »

That's a good question and I'd also be interested in the answer.

Not because I'd consider doing it myself but it would be nice to know if anyone's "project" ever got finished and put to good use.

At Kirkistown for Mazdafest in 2018 there was an RX-7 FD with a NOS kit. However the owner bought the car with the kit fitted, never found a source for NOS (living in Cork) and hadn't declared it on his insurance, so that really doesn't count.
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
GlowingBulb (Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:44 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
350matt
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by 350matt »

looks like this bloke is about to start
neat install
https://www.rx8club.com/series-i-major- ... ll-273580/

but only a single fogger nozzle into the intake ?
GlowingBulb
Club Member
Club Member

Post by GlowingBulb »

Thanks Dave, happy I'm not that only person interested in the reality of living with NOS.

What I'd like is for someone to confirm they've got it, had it for x amount of time & either its crap because the tune is on a knife edge because of ambient temps, humidity, had it for x months then the engine went pop, whatever.

Or...

Its great, had it for years or xxx miles, reliable when being used & the engine is still fun when not using NOS & the only negative is the cost of buying more laughing gas each week.
GlowingBulb
Club Member
Club Member

Post by GlowingBulb »

350matt wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:43 pm
looks like this bloke is about to start
neat install
https://www.rx8club.com/series-i-major- ... ll-273580/

but only a single fogger nozzle into the intake ?
Single nozzle at the intake is what RR sell from Wizards of NOS - the SB 150i seems to be the same & would be what I'd consider if it was something "reliable"
Adrian Flux
Sponsor Trader
Sponsor Trader
Has thanked: 0

Post by Adrian Flux »

Hi.
If you need any help with insurance for nitrous then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.
GlowingBulb
Club Member
Club Member

Post by GlowingBulb »

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the offer but I tried you guys for a quote when I was looking for an RX-8. I'm a 45 year old bloke with 10+ years NCD & after being asked by your advisor whether I'd much experience driving a car like this I was quoted more than £400 than my current insurer 😳

It's a shame though, 20 odd years ago you guys used to be the best & I always used you to insure my GTE's, GTi's, XR's & RS (if you used to be called Adrian S Flux?)
Clive
Sponsor Trader
Sponsor Trader
RX-8: Supercharged
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by Clive »

I ran a big NOS kit on my Mustang way back in 1980,so have a little experience of it, however the stuff really doesn't work for a Rotary and I have known people try it over the years around the world and given up for fear of losing the engine.

Without a full investigation I can only figure its due to the pressures caused by the volatile nature, of the "fuel".

Funnily enough, whist I raced successfully winning a championship with it, I did lose a head gasket along the way.

I have had a few ask me about this and whilst its worth a go, I have advised them to stand round the back with a dust pan and brush and wait for the bits to come out!
These users thanked the author Clive for the post (total 4):
GlowingBulb (Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:56 am) • warpc0il (Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:11 am) • Delanor (Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:42 am) • New Duke (Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:23 pm)
REgards
Clive

http://www.racingbeateurope.com

We aim to help and assist our customers make the right choices for their Rotary, whether they be standard or modified. If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us:-
sales@racingbeateurope.com or call 01474 777 800
GlowingBulb
Club Member
Club Member

Post by GlowingBulb »

Clive wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:55 am
I have had a few ask me about this and whilst its worth a go, I have advised them to stand round the back with a dust pan and brush and wait for the bits to come out!
That's my fear & probably the reason finding any kind of long term reports of living with NOS in an RX-8 on the internet is difficult.

I'm not a dreamer & could quite happily buy the kit today & have it installed this weekend but I neither have the desire or the free time to be rebuilding my engine in 6 months time when it goes pop!

I'd be better investing in a turbo conversion or even better still buying something that came with a turbo fitted as standard & chasing power gains on a much easier platform to tune.
MARKTHOMASBRAND
Club Member
Club Member

Post by MARKTHOMASBRAND »

GlowingBulb wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:03 am
I'd be better buying something that came with a turbo fitted as standard
:yeah:
These users thanked the author MARKTHOMASBRAND for the post (total 2):
GlowingBulb (Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:25 pm) • GreySilver Beast (Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:42 pm)
Mark's : 2020 Championship White Honda Civic FK8 Type R .

Mandy's : 2019 Mazda MX-5 30th Anniversary RF # 1761/3000.
Adrian Flux
Sponsor Trader
Sponsor Trader
Has thanked: 0

Post by Adrian Flux »

GlowingBulb wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:21 pm
Hi Dan,

Thanks for the offer but I tried you guys for a quote when I was looking for an RX-8. I'm a 45 year old bloke with 10+ years NCD & after being asked by your advisor whether I'd much experience driving a car like this I was quoted more than £400 than my current insurer 😳

It's a shame though, 20 odd years ago you guys used to be the best & I always used you to insure my GTE's, GTi's, XR's & RS (if you used to be called Adrian S Flux?)
Hi.
Sorry we couldn't help with a competitive premium.
Regards,
Dan.
Milos_Balunovic
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Milos_Balunovic »

GlowingBulb wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:03 am

I'd be better investing in a turbo conversion or even better still buying something that came with a turbo fitted as standard & chasing power gains on a much easier platform to tune.
cast manifold from Bretus =D>

Return to “Boost Junkies”