£999 track/sprint project - adventures in the Japanese Sprint Series

For you to showcase what you've done to your car and give other members ideas and inspiration.
benedwards64
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Re: £999 track/sprint project - adventures in the Japanese Sprint Series

Post by benedwards64 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:16 am

Well I missed the last round due to holiday, but Pete's given an update on another forum so thought I'd post it here :)
pistolpete12 wrote:Sorry for the thread hijack but
before i start.. this is me and ben at a recent friends wedding
ImageFB_IMG_1523885345780 by peteandkel, on Flickr
Unfortunatly Ben could not make Blyton Park in June
So i have made my own little video of the day :) enjoy

couple of pictures taken by one of my mates on the day
Imageitem (9) by peteandkel, on Flickr
Imageitem (7) by peteandkel, on Flickr
Imageitem (6) by peteandkel, on Flickr
Imageitem (5) by peteandkel, on Flickr
Imageitem (4) by peteandkel, on Flickr

I ran at blyton a fresh set of r888r's which won't be used this weekend as Kendrew will kill them,
So we will be using up the last of our current set of r888r's and Ben purchased and painted another set of wheels and track r888 used tyres to kill :) :)

Also had to change the wheel breaking as it was getting increasingly noisy after its small touch with the armo.. That was a nightmare as one of the bolts for the toe arm had rusted to the bush, ended up cutting it all out and fitting a jap speed adjustable arms.
took the car up to get aligned again, slightly more camber now and a little more toe in on the rear with 0deg on the front. see how it goes

Also had an issue at the end off the day at blyton during the fun runs. I could not get the car to restart and we had to push it onto the trailer (don't worry not normal rx8 hot start issues) this was more around i could not here the fuel pump running, but as all runs of the day were completed, i took it home to inspect
ImageFB_IMG_1530745386064 by peteandkel, on Flickr

Got home the RX8 home, guess what?? It ran perfect, Bugger!. and has been running perfect since. Until I was sat outside the alignment centre.. grr Stopped working just turning over
After stealing some tools from the garage found there was no power to the fuel pump.. so swapped and played with the relays.. got it running. We had this problem last year too!
So yesterday a trip to the local breakers and got some used ones.. swapped them all over.. and lets see what happens!!

Also the pajero tow car.. full overhaul this week.
replaced:- front diff oil, transfer box oil, rear diff oil, ATF fluid, Engine oil filter, engine oil, Air filter, All brake fluid, Radiator, Water pump, Thermostat, new coolant and diesel filter..

Now runs loverly!!!!
ImageDSC_1806 by peteandkel, on Flickr
ImageDSC_1808 by peteandkel, on Flickr

that is it for now, i am sure normal updates will resume as Ben is back out with me at Kendrew on sunday.. Wish us luck

benedwards64
Former Member
Former Member

Post by benedwards64 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:16 am

Busy weekend for us as well. We'll be at the Mazda Rotary day tomorrow, then heading straight off to Kendrew for the sprint on Sunday!

benedwards64
Former Member
Former Member

Post by benedwards64 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:34 pm

Well then, on to Kendrew!

They have a bit of a bad reputation, but I love airfield circuits. There’s so much variation in surface, lines, speed…. And there’s loads of space to have a bit of fun. We had a great weekend all planned out – I was to head down to Pete’s after work on Friday to help with loading up, last minute checks etc, then we’d pootle off to Mazda UK on Saturday morning for their Rotary Day meet. There’d be all sorts of interesting, historic rotary cars there and I was very much looking forward to seeing the reaction our multicoloured, battered heap would get :lol:

We set off nice and early and made it all of ten miles. Unfortunately Pete’s beloved Shogun decided that hauling the car and trailer up the hill out of Romney Marsh was the last straw, whereupon it overheated spectacularly. So, bonnet up, cool down and we gently coaxed it back to the house and immediately started phoning round the local hire companies. We found a van easily enough (hooray!) but it was only available at 4pm that day (boo), so alas the Mazda meet wasn’t to be. Later investigation unearthed a blocked overflow pipe to the expansion tank, and an almost-certain diagnosis of a cracked head. New tow-car shopping is ongoing…

Still, after a pleasant afternoon feeling like a pair of loose ends (and doing our best to avoid the football) we collected the van, headed up to Lincolnshire and had a pleasant walk down to a local pub for dinner, before wandering over to the track the following morning.

Kendrew has a pretty abrasive surface so we’d held onto our R888Rs from last season especially – this was to be their last hurrah, particularly if we got a bit of play time at the end. There was a good crowd of around 60 runners, and (shock!) an interloper in our class – a very well-prepped (and, as it turned out, well-driven) breadvan Civic Type R.

Image[/url]

I’m not good at learning tracks, and it was a sweltering day (especially in a dark RX8 with no interior and no AC!) but we both had a lot of fun chasing each other throughout the morning. As ever, Pete was comfortably ahead as we came into the lunchbreak after a blinding 1:50.00 run put him almost a second quicker than me. Grip levels were pretty inconsistent – usually being the second driver on a run gives you an advantage, but everything was so sun-baked the tyres were overheating! The first run after lunch is usually slower, however the tyres had a chance to cool down and we both came out of the blocks with what turned out to be our fastest time of the day. Pete started off by knocking a further second-and-a-bit off his time (now 1:48.87) which did not help my nerves heading into my run! It started off a bit shakey, with more wheelspin than I was expecting heading off the line (the tyres were pretty knackered by this point) but I managed to pull everything together and knocked over 2 secs off for a fastest time of 1:48.34. I was pretty pleased with this, as I imagine you’ll tell when Pete uploads the video :D

The final run was terrible for us both in the end – I managed to miss 3rd gear a total of three times during the first half of the lap, then overcooked it on the final chicane and ended up scattering cones and plastic barriers everywhere. Pete’s was tidier, but no faster – the tyres really were toast by that point.

End results were really pleasing – we were first and second in the Mazda series (and a full 7 seconds clear of the MX5 in third place!), but couldn’t quite catch that pesky Civic in our Japanese Series class. Still, we gave it a good shot! Fortunately we’d also finished early, which gave us a free track for fun runs and passenger rides….

…and a set of tyres to kill…

…you can see where this is going, right? :D

There’s a vid to follow… suffice to say we both had a lot of fun on an empty airfield with dead tyres :D

And a few pics from the day:

Oh, one last thing. Everybody spent last weekend bleating about something-or-other that was 'coming home.’ I’m not entirely sure what all that fuss was about, but they were right in one sense at least. After almost 9 months residing in deepest darkest Kent, the Wankel Cup is, finally, coming home :D

These users thanked the author benedwards64 for the post:
nightfire10 (Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:16 pm)

Neilparry
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Neilparry » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:40 pm

Well done Ben and Pete

Glad it’s all coming together for you.
Good to see you not pushing it onto the trailer 🤣

ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Neilparry for the post:
benedwards64 (Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:47 pm)
:wash:

benedwards64
Former Member
Former Member

Post by benedwards64 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:51 pm

Cheers Neil! That's a good point, actually - no fuelling issues at all, despite the heat, so the new relay seems to have done the trick.

Thinking about it, the car ran like clockwork all day despite being probably the hardest single day on track it has ever had. 30+ degree heat, multiple-back-to-back runs and *ahem* some time spent sideways on the limiter.... :oops: :lol:

PeteH
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Custom

Post by PeteH » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:39 pm

Fantastic. Great result. =D> =D> =D> =D> :thumleft:
These users thanked the author PeteH for the post:
benedwards64 (Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:47 pm)

benedwards64
Former Member
Former Member

Post by benedwards64 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:39 pm

And the aforementioned vid: 5 minutes of actual trying to be fast, followed by many tyre deaths :D

This car is bloody awesome :D

benedwards64
Former Member
Former Member

Post by benedwards64 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:32 am

The summer break is well and truly over – after a six week break we’re treated to two of the best (not to mention furthest away!) tracks of the calendar: Anglesey and Croft.

There wasn’t much in the way of prep to do after Kendrew, but getting the new set of tyres on was a must. Here’s what we pulled off :lol:

Likewise, a quick bit of cabletie engineering to re-secure the undertray after a quick trip into the grass…

Anglesey was first up, and god is it a trek! Pete had to split the journey in two – after taking 5 hours to get from Kent to Oxfordshire after a very broken M25 I think he was very glad to have a break! First up, given that we’ve SORNed the RX8 now, was to find something suitable to replace the rear numberplate…

That’ll do the trick :hehe:

We were both very grateful for Pete’s shiny new tow car (a 2007 Shogun, which is an absolute beast of a thing), particularly as it took a further 5.5 hours to meander our way up to Anglesey the following day. A combination of TomTom and Waze managed to get us round various bits of traffic around the M6, while managing to avoid taking the trailer down too many single track lanes.

You never quite know what you’re going to get at Anglesey, and when we arrived the previous day’s sprint (the all-marques Javelin series) was in full swing. It wasn’t raining per se, but the wind was up and there was a fine mist of sea spray being blown sideways across the track which seemed to be making things a tad tricky for the competitors! Still, we had a wander round the track, caught up with a few friends and managed to get the car through scrutineering before abandoning it in a garage for the night. The ground in the paddock was salty and slippery, and rain was forecast for the next day.

Come the next morning, fuelled by a hearty breakfast at our nearby B&B, we headed out into the inevitable rain. The track was greasy, but luckily the rain stopped pretty early on and the wind stayed strong which dried things off nicely – by the time the practice runs were over it was largely a dry track and had the decency to stay that way all day. Our main target was to beat our time set last year, which we both managed to do after the second lap, which meant we could just concentrate on having a good day. I somehow managed to set a quick time on my second run, which I spent most of the day chasing, and Pete was feeling a little out of sorts which put him about a second off the pace. I, meanwhile, had a couple of frustrating runs including a trip across the (still wet!) grass at 90-odd mph and an overcooked hairpin after an otherwise good lap (both of which are captured on YouTube forever).

Somewhat unusually we both managed our quickest times on the final run of the day – Pete’s put together an overlay which is pretty interesting to watch . These two runs finished about half a second apart, but it’s tricky to spot exactly where the time was made up (although Pete had a bit of a fuel starvation issue). Watch to the end to see my trip across the grass and a couple of other outtakes. It’s worth having the sound on for the reaction at the end of the times run :lol:

And a quick drive-by of Pete, taken from the pit wall:

An excellent weekend all in all. The towcar was comfortable and didn’t put a foot wrong, the RX8 performed beautifully all day, and I finally managed to collect my first piece of hardware from this season :D
I was pleased to see we were also the fastest naturally-aspirated car of the day by a solid second-and-a-half, which given our relative weight and lack of power I was very pleased with indeed!

Not much of a break before Croft – on Sunday! The last time either of us were there we were sharing an increasingly sick Fiesta Zetec S, so it’ll be interesting to see how we fare in the RX8 :)
These users thanked the author benedwards64 for the post:
warpc0il (Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:45 am)

Clive
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: Supercharged
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by Clive » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:25 pm

Excellent news, another Rotary winning
Attachments
download (1).jpg
download (1).jpg (9.41 KiB) Viewed 1165 times

casey
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by casey » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:35 pm

Well done on the Class win =D> :thumleft:
Club Secretary
Essex Rotary Full Bridgeport

Seibon Carbon Fibre Bonnet
"Racing Brake" front calipers, Racing Beat (RB) ARB's F&R, RB REVI intake, full RB Stainless Steel Exhaust & Mani, 20mm Eibach spacers, KOYO Ali Rad, Lightened Fly, Tein MonoFlex coilovers & strut brace, Axial short-shifter, BHR Coils & Engine Mounts, Greddy Sump
Federal 595RS-R or Rainsport 3

mrspiller
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Copper Red

Post by mrspiller » Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:33 pm

Well done both , awesome job , well written too . Do you think the rear wing has helped or is it just driver / car getting to know themselves ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

benedwards64
Former Member
Former Member

Post by benedwards64 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:28 am

Thanks guys! Wayne - believe it or not the spoiler was the first thing we did... since last time around we have new suspension, better geo, plus bucket seat & harness. I think it all helped, but we're definitely more comfortable with the limits of the car now as well.

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:51 am

As an aside, it was probably a good job you replaced the rear plate on the sornd car.

A colleague of mine was sent a fine after his car was caught by an anpr camera while sorn'd.

He refused the fix penalty notice as the car was on a flatbed on its way back from the paintshop.

The prosecution was finally dropped only two days before the court date.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
benedwards64 (Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:12 am)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ

benedwards64
Former Member
Former Member

Post by benedwards64 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:14 am

Yep, that's exactly why we took the plates off :)

benedwards64
Former Member
Former Member

Post by benedwards64 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:51 am

I'll puit some more details up when I have the pics through, but for now here's the vid from our last sprint at Croft:

14th and 16th overall IIRC. Camera is now mounted on the nose, about 6 inches from the air intake, which makes some pretty fun noise :D

benedwards64
Former Member
Former Member

Post by benedwards64 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:57 pm

So, Croft! As said, first time we’d driven it in the RX8 and I wasn’t sure what to expect. It’s another fast circuit with lots of time to be made (and lost!) in the bravery stakes.

I’d managed to mix up my weekends somehow, but through some serendipitous events was due to be visiting in-law family in Middlesbrough. So, I duly trekked up on Friday evening, spent the day on the beach on Saturday and got a taxi over to the circuit on Sunday morning, where Pete was patiently waiting with the RX8 and trailer. Cue many jokes about having ‘my man’ bring the car up for me, which he managed to take in good humour :lool:

Gratuitous pic of the old M5 on a driveway in Middlesbrough:

Croft is up there as one of my favourite tracks. The whole section from the undulating braking zone into Tower through to Sunny Out is incredibly rewarding and huge fun – and yet I didn’t hit it spot on all day! I started with a good time first thing and managed to gently chip away the odd tenth here and there, eventually trimming off half a second or so on the penultimate run. I think my actual driving improved a lot during the day but heat was proving to be a real issue – double-driving the car meant thy tyres weren’t getting a chance to cool down, and it was a hot day on track that generates a lot of tyre heat through a sequence of fast corners and heavy braking zones. We tried fiddling with tyre pressures before the last run which gave us both better launch times but slower laps overall.

Still, a very successful day in all. Again we managed to be the quickest atmospheric car of the day (placed 14th and 16th overall) with barely half a second between us. Judging by the pics I’ve had back we were both pushing pretty hard :lol:

Pete’s done another excellent job with the video (note the new camera position, it’s worth watching with the volume up!). Watching this back (and with the split timing available from Javelin) it seems the difference in time was made up under brakes into Tower. It’s frustrating to watch back knowing I could have been quicker, but as ever I’ll gladly take any driving critique!

Since then Pete has been busy with the diet (the car, that is) – doors have been gutted, glass has come out and perspex has gone in. There’ll be more to come over winter, so watch this space! :D

PeteH
Former Member
Former Member

Post by PeteH » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:23 pm

benedwards64 wrote:
Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:57 pm
as ever I’ll gladly take any driving critique!
None from me! You nailed Croft. Because of the layout your times can be directly compared with me and Liam, and you're right in the mix. Great driving. :thumleft:

(But perhaps try to hit the apex of the final hairpin. :lol: )
benedwards64 (Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:52 am)

benedwards64
Former Member
Former Member

Post by benedwards64 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:54 am

Thanks! Appreciate that :)

I always felt like I was losing speed coming out of Tower, going in too hot... and I missed the final hairpin braking too late :lol:

benedwards64
Former Member
Former Member

Post by benedwards64 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:33 pm

So I've been off on holiday for a couple of weeks (it's a hard life...) but Pete's been busy in the meantime. Another copy & paste from another forum below... :)
pistol pete wrote:Due to Ben living in the wrong part of the country and then buggering off on holiday, i thought i should do a little update where the car is and events its just been in.

So after Croft there was to be a big gap in the season until the last round at Snetterton on the 300 curcuit. This will be on the 27th October, racing on my birthday, what could be better!!! Unfortunately Ben can't make it due to family commitments but we will be doing a track day beginning of November so he gets another go in out in the car.

Anyway, due to such a big gap I had a hunt around and on the 12th October it was to be Javelin Sprint Series last round at Cadwell Park. Now due to a slight mishap at the beginning of the year
meant i missed Cadwell. Which is by far my favorite track in the UK. So i entered.

I then looked at who was in my class, some pretty serious machines, couple of fully built clios, a very tuned civic, mildly tuned civic etc. so looked like Racecat was going to be out gunned in weight and power.

During the last few rounds not much has been done to the rex, due to building myself a new garage with a pitched roof that i can use my ramp in, but with that complete i thought it was time to see if we can improve the rx8 ready for Cadwell.

So with regular updates and consulting with Ben, i put racecat up on the hoist and set to work
ImageDSC_2176 by peteandkel, on Flickr

ImageDSC_2182 by peteandkel, on Flickr

First job with no Ben round to stop me, it got one of my Zombie decals
ImageDSC_2171 by peteandkel, on Flickr

next job was to get the weight out of the doors, as you see from Ben pics above that the windows are now much lighter, the all the electrics and motors were removed from the door
ImageDSC_2175 by peteandkel, on Flickr

I then manage to acquire some plastic sheeting from work to make door cards of sorts and Ben order a couple of door pulls so we can pull it shut.. I spent far too long trying to decide where to put the pull, somewhere to reach to shut the door, but not in the eyeline when driving or to be annoying. Got there eventually and very happy with how it sits.

Then moved onto the rest of the car. first up was removing the radiator, with have a mushimoto radiator and a Spal fan to remove the stock ones. We were not happy with the switch inside the car that controls the fan, as a few time we have left the fans on overnight ended up with a flat battery race morning, wanted to wire them into the ignition.

Front fell off
ImageDSC_2183 by peteandkel, on Flickr

managed with the Rad out of the way to get the last of the air con pipes out
ImageDSC_2194 by peteandkel, on Flickr

Also knowing we wanted to get the heater matrix out and the coolant was drained, disconnected and re-routed the coolant pipe to miss out the matrix
ImageDSC_2195 by peteandkel, on Flickr

new rad and spal fan
ImageDSC_2204 by peteandkel, on Flickr

Went saw a friend (Sileck motorsport wiring) who sorted me some connectors and wiring re wire the fan switching and the new interior fan (get to that in a mo)
After discussion, as the rotary gets hot we decided to to run the Spal fan off a switch inside the car so we can have it on when queuing and as soon as we come it, but wired to the ignition so we don't forget to switch it off

Refitted
ImageDSC_2206 by peteandkel, on Flickr
ImageDSC_2209 by peteandkel, on Flickr

As I had got this far, decide that might as well get the heater matrix out. which then turned to a bigger job of get rid of some wiring, and the random control boxes..

Only issue being the its in my garage and you have to let the rx warm up before shutting down, i couldn't test each thing as i removed to ensure the car still worked.. i just was very carefull about what i removed checking what everything done.
many many many cuts later this was all happening

ImageDSC_2200 by peteandkel, on Flickr
ImageDSC_2198 by peteandkel, on Flickr
ImageDSC_2212 by peteandkel, on Flickr
ImageDSC_2213 by peteandkel, on Flickr

starting to get back together
ImageDSC_2215 by peteandkel, on Flickr

FREE POWER!!

looking a lot clearer behind the dash now

Tidy up the wiring a bit (a lot of this can come out but that will be over winter, also checking the clocks still work)

now there was a large hole behind the dash where the aircon and heater matrix pipes used to feed through
so a blank was made with a bung incase we decided to run any wiring ourselves
It was fitted, bolts and then sealed in place

Lastly we now no longer needed the stereo unit for Fan controls, i couldn't believe how much that weighed, but we still need some form of fan for in the car
from another motorsport friend put me in the direction of this
which can do hot and cold air, also can swivel up to windscreen to demist, or direct at driver for some circulation

sorry for the bad pictures, but the light was shining straight in the garage
wired up a switch panel to control the new interior fan and spal fan ( this is temporary until i get some material to make a better panel over winter)

It has the toggle and push button for starting the car but not wired in yet, if anyone knows which wires on the ignition witch i need to use that would be amazing!!!

Got the front end back together as well, fitted a new tow strap

It was then time to see if it would fire into life after all this work

i have tried to embed the video but don't know how it works

No .. Doh, i am now thinking, hmm i have a week till racing at cadwell, this could end up being a long week, so pulled out all the stuff sitting the garage i had removed from rex and looking at the random control boxes, first tried plugging back in the airbag system.. no luck
then has a flash of though i had removed the keyless entry gixmo box, maybe the immobilizer goes thought it, plugged that back in and

After a good check over and topping up the coolant it all worked. cleared the ECU error (which was unable to see immobilizer) pulled it out the garage and a good check over before loading it onto the trailer

then put the porsche in the garage ready for some work, the window regulator needs some work, also new exhaust manifolds for more noise and cam cover gaskets, maybe a few other bits

I then set about weighing everything i had taken out of the car, then added the weight i had put into the car (new rad and spal fan) to work out what weight saving we had managed.. 48KG in total.. very chuffed with that

benedwards64
Former Member
Former Member

Post by benedwards64 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:33 pm

pistol pete wrote: So a few days pass by with the car sat on the trailer.. Its Race weekend
The race is on a Saturday as its last of the year so people can have a drink sat night without worrying about work Monday (I don't drink but the awards ceremony is always a good laugh)

So Thursday loaded up the shogun
Friday midday, look forward to the M25 traffic off we got

Got to Cadwell park around half 4

off loaded the car ready for saturday

The trailer unhitched, got this picture.. this thing is amazing built to do everything i want it to

I was staying at the Paddack Scamblesy
https://www.thepaddockatscamblesby.co.uk/en-GB
half mile up the road, and would recommend to anyone, they have three rooms, will get up in the morning and cook you breakfast for whatever time you want it, poached eggs sausage and mushrooms waiting for me and 6.30 was nice start to the day.
The also set you up in the room with fizzy drink, water bottle, sweets, crisps and fruit, all free and for you to take to the track the next day.. and my favorite, a couple of large shortbread biscuits

Raceday here

and the sun was shining

So last year on the last dry run i manage a 1.40.9 I want to at least match that this year, Scrutineering and sighting runs were done. practice started..
Straight away the car felt very different to last time on track, last year we were at the top of second but not enough for third in the first section of corners, this time however i ran out of revs in second very quickly, noted to try third on the first timed run.

while waiting for first timed run had a good chat with fiends, catching up with people.. but still missed not having Ben around to banter with..

So off to the first run, and the car felt great, third gear through the first section was a great call could really throw the car around now (its lighter, better seats harness and new alignment on last year)
Also what is great that surprises everyone, due to the way the car revs and no torque you have to change gear through some of the sweeping corners, but this car it just doesn't unsettle it, which helps massively

Come over the line with a 1.39.23 i was over the moon.
I knew there was more in the car, and i wanted to see a low 1.38 maybee a 1.37 at this point
so over the next we runs i was a solid 4th in class getting down to a 1.38.01 on run 4. I was only half a second behind 3rd place (6 in class)
Decided i needed to do something drastic, Ben doesnt let me tinker with the suspension much when the car feels good, but its such a smooth track i stiffened the coilovers 10 clicks harder..thinking well if its worse ill just go back to original settings for last run

Off i went, came over the line thinking that felt good and should be a high 1.37.. and actually was a 1.36.85 I was chuffed. This had now bumped me up to second in class. Kate in the clio has been complaining that her new tyres had been terrible all day and swapped back to the r888r's hoping she could claim back at least third.
so it was on for the last run of the day, I went out was going really well. Then i missed my breaking point for the goose neck just pushing to far, just got a bit out of shape still came in with a 1.37.11 which again i was still happy with. Kate manage to jump me and put in a low 1.36 meaning i got pushed to third in class..
Sam who had been sitting in a comfortable 2nd all day now on the last run found himself in 4th, like me he mucked his final run up and finished 4th. But it made for a n exciting last couple of runs between the three of us. 1st was a heavily modified well built civic that was flying all day ended with a 1.34.49 (we have an aim for next year Ben)

Also good news for Kate because she had put that last run in it meant she took enough points to win the Class for the year (well done Kate)

With the cars that were in our class i was very pleased to come away with a third place, i just went and aimed not to be last in class.

Cadwell still sits as my favorite track

I came home with a trophy

a bit of phone photo inception

Racecat was brilliant and did not put a foot wrong all day, Is now re-fueled and sat on the trailer waiting for Snetterton in just over a weeks time for the final round of the japanese/Mazda sprint series. The family is coming up to watch it will be their first event of the year, so fingers crossed the weather will be on out side.. but lets be honest, end of October its going to be wet!
Its a shame Ben can't make it. he will be missed everyone always ask where my partner in crime is, i think we are the Burt&Ernie of sprinting

So untill Snet then, I am sure Ben will take over the writing of these updates, he has his teeth in he will do all next year,.He does a much better write up than me, words are not my thing

Here is my Video of Cadwell, Inside video didn't work for my fastest run, have also put my 2nd fastest run against the rx8 last year and the mr2, shows the MR2 with mid engined and wider rear tyres was better off the line, but once the RX8 catches on the hairpin it just walks away, my driving has also improved a lot since the MR2 it would seem :)

Enjoy

benedwards64
Former Member
Former Member

Post by benedwards64 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:23 pm

Not a hugely exciting update after Pete’s epic weekend of sprinting success, but we did manage to get up to Donington last weekend for a trackday. It was a good opportunity to test out a few things – firstly, to see if my new (to me!) tow-car could realistically look after us for a weekend away!

Fortunately the answer is yes – the 1500 quid golden dream machine did rather well for itself. Which was a relief :D

Second, and third, was for me to drive the car after its recent crash diet, and try out some second-hand R888s we’d bought to use as general track-day tyres.

It’s fair to say the day didn’t start all that smoothly, with our previous fuelling problems rearing their heads early on. I’d not even got the car off the trailer before it cut out, and half an hour fiddling with our ever-growing stash of spare relays finally got us up and running…. Only to find on the sighting laps that the high-pressure fuel pump wasn’t running and we were hitting the proverbial power brick-wall at about 4k rpm. We eventually got out onto a still-wet track for a short while, dodging unbelievable amounts of traffic and some pretty terrible track etiquette, before the inevitable red-flag and the madness started all over again.

Still, it wasn’t all bad. There were a glorious couple of hours late morning when a dry line had appeared, we were mercifully free of red flags and all hundred-odd cars hadn’t been let out of the pits into the same [edited] traffic jam. Again. What a track it is! We’ll have some vid coming soon, but heading down Craner Curves flat in 4th is a glorious feeling :D

Fuelling aside, the RX8 performed admirably and racked up around 80 laps during the day (almost as many as an entire season of sprinting!) without complaint. It rained after lunch which slowed things slightly (and brought out the red flags as more and more corners became decorated with the bumpers of Honda Civics), and after a couple of spins (me), a hard launch over the sausage curbs (Pete) and running out of fuel (both of us) we called it a day.

Plans for winter are still building, but we’ve got a nice list to get started with…

*Replace clutch with 6-paddle competition clutch (already purchased)
*Lightweight flywheel and counterweight (already purchased)
*Front and rear adjustable anti-roll bars (already purchased)
*More weight saving (there’s a lot of wiring in there doing not a lot!)
*Front splitter and (possibly) flat floor
*Repair the inevitable sill rust
*Fit adjustable rear suspension arms
*Wheel spacers

…there’s probably more I’ve forgotten :lol:

We’ll be aiming to run in the Japanese Sprint Series again next year – with any luck I’ll be able to manage all of the rounds this time – with occasional dips into the Javelin Sprint Series when dates allow. I reckon we’ve got about 4 months to get all of the above sorted, hopefully with a track day or two as a shake down. Best get cracking!

As ever, have some obligatory pics from the latest track outing. Until next time!

benedwards64
Former Member
Former Member

Post by benedwards64 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:37 pm

Couldn't resist another trackday!

We managed to pick up a set of Uniroyal Rainsport 3 before heading up to Cadwell Park last weekend, and I'm very glad we did.... it was a tad wet!

I've never really got my head around Cadwell Park before - it was always wet on sprint events, and I've never done a trackday there before. Fortunately we managed to book onto the quietest trackday I've ever seen - only 25 cars - so we both got plenty of laps in and I feel much more comfortable with the circuit. Car ran beautifully all day, and I have to say I'm absolutely astonished by how much grip the Rainsprouts have!

If anyone fancies watching a few of our laps (well, it's Friday and you're probably all killing time before the weekend!)...

Mine:

Pete's

As ever, any critique very welcome :)

...and in other news, we've booked onto a trackday at Spa in April! Best make sure it's still working then :lol:

PeteH
Former Member
Former Member

Post by PeteH » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:15 pm

Looked like fun! You may know these things already, but my hyper-pernickety comments would be:
- You tend to promote excessive wheelspin. Optimum traction is the point just before the wheels are spinning. It's fun to light the tyres up at the top of the mountain, but it's not the fastest way. Feeling the point of maximum traction is one of the best bits of track driving, I think.
- You self-induce the oversteer you often have. You do this because you round off the corners too much, rather than "triangling" them. This means that you then have to hold the steering angle very high on the exit, so when you get on the throttle you are still trying to corner too hard, and the rear end gives up. If you had a slightly tighter apex (sacrificing the apex speed a tiny amount), then opened up the corner on the exit, you could be on the throttle much earlier (at or just after the apex), you could be on the throttle earlier, and you could balance how much you open the steering with how much throttle you apply. Then you would exit the corner with a balanced car, and be able to control how much oversteer you had, rather than just responding to random slides. Steering should be pretty much "wind it on into the apex, and wind it off after the apex". The problem with your way is that, if you are at the limit through the apex, and you stay at the lateral limit, the tyres have no ability to take the traction, so the rear slides. Winding off through the exit gives you a much better exit onto the straight, which means you carry more speed all the way down the straight.

As I said, these are really minor things, and you are clearly already very fast.
benedwards64 (Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:45 pm)

benedwards64
Former Member
Former Member

Post by benedwards64 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:41 pm

Thanks Pete - all minor points are very welcome, I'm under no illusion that either of us are particularly brilliant! I'm constantly at Pete for holding the steering angle too long, and he's constantly at me for being too close to the limit :lol:

Your input is, as always, very much appreciated :)

benedwards64
Former Member
Former Member

Post by benedwards64 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:57 pm

Hmm. we're a bit behind here. Hang on - few catch-up posts coming....

Return to “Personal Car Projects and Mods”