Tayls RX8: Brilliant Black 231 DIY Project

For you to showcase what you've done to your car and give other members ideas and inspiration.
Tayl
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Brilliant Black

Tayls RX8: Brilliant Black 231 DIY Project

Post by Tayl » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:13 pm

Hey all,
So, whilst this car isn't in the greatest of shapes I've decided to do as much work on it as I can to bring this up to a somewhat 'better than average' RX. I purchased this car and have had Ryan Rotary Performance give her the once over to which he has highlighted more issues with this car than I first realised (this was mainly the reason why I wanted someone who knew these cars to go over it for me as when I bought it, if I'm honest, my knowledge on these is jack all to none with exception of the problems I had with my last brief ownership of one resulting in that car getting hot starting issues in the short space I drove it leading me to scrap it due to my inexperience and lack of time to learn when owning that one).

Scott from Ryan Rotary Performance has highlighted that one of the bearing's is failing which is a clear indication it is due a rebuild. This time round I'm going to spend the cash to get it done (although not any time soon as with this being my second car my funds are currently being directed at my main motor and my house! so funding for this project is as and when it is in my pocket to spend).

Stats on the car upon purchasing:

Some Good Points:
1.) Under carriage is in reasonable condition with no major areas of rust or damage.
2.) To a certain extent the engine does look like it's been looked after and the interior isn't in bad condition at all.
3.) All issues with it cosmetically aren't in that bad a condition they couldn't easily be rectified with some TLC.
4.) Already has D585 coils fitted.
5.) Was premixed with previous owner. Although the type of premix being used isn't bad but wasn't overly brilliant.
6.) Has Tyosport decat already on it.

Some Bad Points:
1.) Compressions weren't/aren't currently brilliant. The chap I purchased it off said they're reading 6.5/6.5/6.5 & 6.5/6.3/6.3.
2.) There is some feedback noise when letting off the accelerator to change gear. Sounds like a whirling/buzzing noise.
3.) For what ever reason the previous owner decided to remove the passenger sun visor and cut off the cables female socket part (instead of tucking it into the body of the car, not a clue why).
4. ) Body/paint isn't in the best condition. Has a good amount of hairline scatches all over it. Almost looks like someone has tried to open the door with the key in their hand scratching away at the door whilst they struggle to grip the handle. Few scratches on the front bumper (nose) and some on the side.
5.) It's been highlighted that there is a lot of vibration through the car whilst running and idling which is thought to be down to the engine issues. Going to change the mounts sometime soon and eventually get the rebuild done.
6.) I was so impatient and eager to get one I ended up buying a 56 plate model which is the higher tax bracket - d'oh.
7.) Wheels are the horrible chrome looking optional extras when purchased which are in amazingly bad condition with corrosion and peeling.

So, I'm looking at putting some time and effort (and a little bit of spare cash when I have it to burn) on this car to make it a little different. I want to make it stand out a little (another reason I tried to find one with the red and black interior instead of black; Didn't like the kumo white etc). My plans are to eventually get it to stand out in a crowd and have it turn heads when I drive it (either through it looking amazingly cool or through it looking absolutely ridiculous). Either way, I like to be different! So yes, even with all these issues I decided to purchase the car and I'm not going to get rid of scrap this one as I wanted a bit of a project, it seems I've got a proper one!

This is going to be a very painfully slow project due to other commitments but it's still going to be one none the less!

To Do List:
1.) Replace the sun visor on the passengers side.
2.) Rebuild the engine (either have it done professionally or give it a go myself.
3.) Replace the current chrome alloys with black alloys (either standard Mazda ones powder coated or after market).
4.)Replace the engine mounts
5.) Purchase and fit a spoiler. The bigger and 'standout'ish' the better!
6.) Purchase and fit side skirts.
7.) Purchase and fit a new front bumper. Preferably some form of after market or kit like bumper.
8.) Get the windows tinted black. Probably going to get the rear screen, and all side windows done in the darkest legal shade I can.

These ideas below are 'in the consideration' pot and not actually a 'definitely going to do' list. I've got one idea/angle of going down that I;m currently thinking about and that's making the external of the car match the interior. So changing it from a pure brilliant black car to a red and black car. Not too sure on if I should or not yet though.

1.) Spray the roof of the car candy red.
2.) Replace the current black mirrors with candy red casings.
3.) Replace the petrol cap with a candy red one.

But I'm also in two minds of making it look almost stealth plane like and keeping everything jet black.Or I may attempt a rally look and splash a lot of stickers/decals all over it. I really don't know which angle to go for yet but I'm hoping as time, and self learning/teaching, goes on I will find my way whilst tinkering about with it.

a petrol head mate of mine has told me that me and him should attempt to learn to rebuild the engine so this may be another idea of mine some point down the line. Although I don't know whether I should risk doing it on my own RX or purchasing a second engine and learn on that. I haven't decided yet! Although I really want to get my engine rebuilt by Ryan Rotary Performance as Scott seemed a top bloke when I met him.

Each time I make a change to the car, no matter how major or minor, I'll bang up an update within this thread. Who knows, it might either inspire people to consider the same approach or prevent others from thinking about doing something, seeing it having been done on mine, and being saved from making a massive mistake!

Tinkering/Project 1:
Managed to find a bit of an outrageous looking spoiler on Facebook. Was a little dubious about purchasing anything through Facebook but luckily the lad turned out to be sound. Got it built (although it came in pieces with NO instructions so I had to use my man instincts and put it together without any). Condition isn't brilliant and the touch ups done by the previous owner on the paint isn't the best but I will sort all of that when I get the body parts and begin spraying them.

How the spoiler came:
SpoilerInPieces.jpg
How it looks installed:
ForumEdited1.jpg

Tinkering/Project 2:
Had the windows tinted by a chap in Coventry that was recommended by a mate. They've actually turned out really well. Couple of before pictures (ignore how dirty the car is). Haven't really got any decent after pictures but you can see how they look tinted in the picture where I've got the car up just below this picture.

How it looked before tinting:
20170429_115339.jpg
20170429_115333.jpg
Also ended up purchasing a Toyosport exhaust (as the vehicle already has a toyosport decat on it). However, what I wish I had of done prior to purchasing it was actually jack the car up and take a look under it. Being new to the "self project" and learning as I'm going along, what I hadn't realized was that the whole exhaust system on these cars comes in 4 parts. The manifold at the very front, the cat pipe, the tail end pipe and the drum(s) & exhaust/mufflers. Upon looking under the car I noticed that after the toyosport decat it has a standard fitted pipe from that to the exhaust which means I now need to purchase that before I can fit the exhaust back box.

Cars rear end in the air for inspection underneath:
DSC_1830.JPG
DSC_1831.JPG
DSC_1836.JPG
I had contemplated cutting the bolt face joint part of the back box and cutting the tip of the pipe off, slotting it in and fastening it down with the ring/nut & bolt tighteners as upon first glance it did look like the tail pipe would fit over the exhaust back box pipe if I cut that off. However, looking at the condition of the pipe and how rusted it is, plus with the fact that the end of the tail pipe is widened for the standard exhaust back box I think it would of a.) crumbled under the cutting and attempted fitting and b.) wouldn't of sealed properly/would probably result in escaping air.

All in all I had to avoid fitting the toyosport back box for the time being until I can get my hands on that tail pipe.

Another picture of the car up in the air with a better view of the tinted windows (best one I have at the moment):
DSC_1828.JPG

Tinkering/Project 3:
Well, it has been quite some time since I done anything to my RX or spent any cash on her so I decided to splash out on a set of new wheels due to a friend on Facebook selling them fairly cheap.

I picked up the following alloys:
received_10154897779320735.jpeg
Which turned this:
IMG-20170610-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20170610-WA0000.jpg (159.03 KiB) Viewed 407 times
Into this:
EditedMazda1.png
EditedMazda2.png
And a friend of mine got bored and decided to do a little engine detailing/cleaning whilst it was left around his house. Made it look quite smart!
IMG-20170613-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20170613-WA0001.jpg (130.67 KiB) Viewed 407 times

For anyone that's considering the Toyosport back box I'd highly recommend it. At first I wasn't sure on whether or not I'd like the reviewed tinny sound people said it provides due to me previously having a greddy exhaust system on my old RX but now I've grown to love this Toyosport sound. I must be honest though, with the Toyosport decat it's bloody loud (especially when heavy accelerating).

Another little thing I can tick off my list! I now need to find a nice front and back after market bumper as well as some side skirts to help with the ridiculously obscene looking spoiler!

Regards,

James.
Last edited by Tayl on Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:11 pm, edited 6 times in total.
James.

Car Details:
Brilliant Black RX8, 231, Red & Black Interior, Rear & Side Tinted Windows, Toyosport decat, D585's, Premixed Using Castrol Power 1 Racing 2t.

Car Project Thread: http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/vi ... 04&t=73862

Rotary Potato
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: PZ

Re: Tayls RX8: Brilliant Black 231 DIY Project

Post by Rotary Potato » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:35 pm

Another local RX8. I'll keep my eyes open for yours. :thumleft:
Huw

2004 Velocity Red 231 - SatNav, parking sensors, sunroof, red/black interior, K&N Typhoon, Toyo backbox, f- :censored: -ked engine - bought Jun 2016 sold Oct 2016
2006 Black PZ - Rotary Revs full Bridgeport Gold rebuild - Toyosport decat - SAI delete - 585R coils - K&N air filter - purchased Oct 2016 - Engine rebuild Dec 2017

Tayl
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Tayl » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:53 pm

Hi Rotary Potato.

Thanks! Not really sure what angle/avenue to go down with this to be honest. Do I do the black and red idea and be different or do I go down the pure black setup with white sponsorship look. As for the mechanical side of it, quite looking forward to pulling this apart now that I have someone else who is as eager and mechanically minded. Done anything to yours? Noticed yours is the same colour so I'm always up for poaching ideas.
James.

Car Details:
Brilliant Black RX8, 231, Red & Black Interior, Rear & Side Tinted Windows, Toyosport decat, D585's, Premixed Using Castrol Power 1 Racing 2t.

WhelanUK
Former Member
Former Member

Post by WhelanUK » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:56 pm

Another Coventry local. Where abouts are you. Never seem to see an other RX8's about.
• Brilliant Black PZ • D585-R Coils • Magnecor Leads • Rear LED Lights • 13Black Mini Map • GROM Unit • Piano Black Trim • Cusco Front Strut Brace • Custom Steering Wheel • 13Black Engine Mounts • 20mm Spacers • Short Shifter • R3 Interior • AEM Intake • Toyosport Decat

Tayl
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Tayl » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:08 pm

Longford/Aldermans Green side of Coventry. Near the Ricoh. Where abouts are you? Shot in the dark here but you aren't the PZ on the road with the BP garage at the end of it on/near Ansty Road are you? That's the only RX-8 I ever see and it's always parked and I drive past it each time I drop the misses off at work (hospital). My RX is a second car so I don't tend to drive it as much as my main motor.
James.

Car Details:

WhelanUK
Former Member
Former Member

Post by WhelanUK » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:17 pm

Nah I'm in Binley, the only RX8 I know up near Ansty BP is the black R3. Always welcome if you wanna pop by compare a chat cars.
• Brilliant Black PZ • D585-R Coils • Magnecor Leads • Rear LED Lights • 13Black Mini Map • GROM Unit • Piano Black Trim • Cusco Front Strut Brace • Custom Steering Wheel • 13Black Engine Mounts • 20mm Spacers • Short Shifter • R3 Interior • AEM Intake • Toyosport Decat

Rotary Potato
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Rotary Potato » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:47 pm

Tayl wrote:Hi Rotary Potato.

Thanks! Not really sure what angle/avenue to go down with this to be honest. Do I do the black and red idea and be different or do I go down the pure black setup with white sponsorship look. As for the mechanical side of it, quite looking forward to pulling this apart now that I have someone else who is as eager and mechanically minded. Done anything to yours? Noticed yours is the same colour so I'm always up for poaching ideas.
Cosmetically mine's bone stock (altho a little scruffy).

I do have a complete red/black leather interior in the shed that I keep umm'ing and err'ing about swapping in. I picked it up on a whim, but not 100% sold on it.

Mine has a ghetto decat on the car ... and a set of Rotary Revs 585-r coils along with a secondary airpump blanking plate in the shed to go on the car when I get the daily driver through its MOT and do some jobs round the house to keep the missus happy! :lol:
Huw

2004 Velocity Red 231 - SatNav, parking sensors, sunroof, red/black interior, K&N Typhoon, Toyo backbox, f- :censored: -ked engine - bought Jun 2016 sold Oct 2016
2006 Black PZ - Rotary Revs full Bridgeport Gold rebuild - Toyosport decat - SAI delete - 585R coils - K&N air filter - purchased Oct 2016 - Engine rebuild Dec 2017

Tayl
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Tayl » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:18 pm

Rotary Potato wrote: Cosmetically mine's bone stock (altho a little scruffy).

I do have a complete red/black leather interior in the shed that I keep umm'ing and err'ing about swapping in. I picked it up on a whim, but not 100% sold on it.

Mine has a ghetto decat on the car ... and a set of Rotary Revs 585-r coils along with a secondary airpump blanking plate in the shed to go on the car when I get the daily driver through its MOT and do some jobs round the house to keep the missus happy! :lol:
I definitely feel the pain on having to keep the missus happy before working on the other lady in my life ;) Go for the red interior pal. Don't see them at all around this neck of the woods which is why I wanted one with it in. Plus, it stands out when people are having a nose at the motor whilst you have all doors open. Another attention seeking part of the car :thumleft:
WhelanUK wrote:Nah I'm in Binley, the only RX8 I know up near Ansty BP is the black R3. Always welcome if you wanna pop by compare a chat cars.
Sounds like a plan mate. If you're ever just out and about going for a burn in your RX give me a shout and I'll join you. Always looking for an excuse to take her for a spin. You may be right on it being an R3. I normally drive past it in the dark and at speed so have never had the chance to study it properly. Normally sits on the grass verge heading toward the BP garage.

Also, let us know if you plan on attending any of the local meets or club events. We'll convoy up if you fancy it!
James.

Car Details:

Tayl
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Tayl » Mon May 01, 2017 7:23 pm

Tinkering/Project 2:
Had the windows tinted by a chap in Coventry that was recommended by a mate. They've actually turned out really well. Couple of before pictures (ignore how dirty the car is). Haven't really got any decent after pictures but you can see how they look tinted in the picture where I've got the car up just below this picture.

How it looked before tinting:
20170429_115339.jpg
20170429_115333.jpg
Also ended up purchasing a Toyosport exhaust (as the vehicle already has a toyosport decat on it). However, what I wish I had of done prior to purchasing it was actually jack the car up and take a look under it. Being new to the "self project" and learning as I'm going along, what I hadn't realized was that the whole exhaust system on these cars comes in 4 parts. The manifold at the very front, the cat pipe, the tail end pipe and the drum(s) & exhaust/mufflers. Upon looking under the car I noticed that after the toyosport decat it has a standard fitted pipe from that to the exhaust which means I now need to purchase that before I can fit the exhaust back box.

Cars rear end in the air for inspection underneath:
DSC_1830.JPG
DSC_1831.JPG
DSC_1836.JPG
I had contemplated cutting the bolt face joint part of the back box and cutting the tip of the pipe off, slotting it in and fastening it down with the ring/nut & bolt tighteners as upon first glance it did look like the tail pipe would fit over the exhaust back box pipe if I cut that off. However, looking at the condition of the pipe and how rusted it is, plus with the fact that the end of the tail pipe is widened for the standard exhaust back box I think it would of a.) crumbled under the cutting and attempted fitting and b.) wouldn't of sealed properly/would probably result in escaping air.

All in all I had to avoid fitting the toyosport back box for the time being until I can get my hands on that tail pipe.

Another picture of the car up in the air with a better view of the tinted windows (best one I have at the moment):
DSC_1828.JPG
James.

Car Details:

Tayl
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Tayl » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:58 pm

Tinkering/Project 3:
Well, it has been quite some time since I done anything to my RX or spent any cash on her so I decided to splash out on a set of new wheels due to a friend on Facebook selling them fairly cheap.

I picked up the following alloys:
received_10154897779320735.jpeg
Which turned this:
IMG-20170610-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20170610-WA0000.jpg (159.03 KiB) Viewed 411 times
Into this:
EditedMazda1.png
EditedMazda2.png

And a friend of mine got bored and decided to do a little engine detailing/cleaning whilst it was left around his house. Made it look quite smart!
IMG-20170613-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20170613-WA0001.jpg (130.67 KiB) Viewed 411 times
For anyone that's considering the Toyosport back box I'd highly recommend it. At first I wasn't sure on whether or not I'd like the reviewed tinny sound people said it provides due to me previously having a greddy exhaust system on my old RX but now I've grown to love this Toyosport sound. I must be honest though, with the Toyosport decat it's bloody loud (especially when heavy accelerating).

Another little thing I can tick off my list! I now need to find a nice front and back after market bumper as well as some side skirts to help with the ridiculously obscene looking spoiler!

Regards,

James.
James.

Car Details:

Return to “Personal Car Projects and Mods”