RX-8 Owners Club 2020 Annual Meet weekend
Saturday 29th February - Sunday 1st March

Club exclusive trackday at the Three Sisters Circuit | Evening Dinner | AGM

Castle Combe Circuit's Japanese Car Show
Saturday 6th June 2020

Club Displays | Drifting Demos | Tracktime | and more

Sonic KaBoom - trackday diaries

For you to showcase what you've done to your car and give other members ideas and inspiration.
Sonic KaBoomii
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Lightning Yellow
Has thanked: 0

Sonic KaBoom - trackday diaries

Post by Sonic KaBoomii » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:34 pm

A little collection of copyright, non-copyright, and personal photos documenting the adventures of the budget racecar

Jump to Croft
Jump to Mallory Park

Won on eBay for £1,4000 shortly after the arrival of The Kraken and the original Hadouken track cars, Sonic' was brought back from Bristol by one of Matt's mates while he was working down there.

[They're all filthy in this photo after a morning of drifting at Oulton Park]

231 (well, it's got to be) Winning Blue with a sunroof, aluminium sill plates, b-pillar decals and mudguards - this was a £26,000 car new!

Unfortunately, being 6'1, the sunroof was a bit of an issue. The seat-mod helped a bit, but it still felt like there was marginally more headroom in the other cars.

Oh well...lets see how we get on
Last edited by Sonic KaBoomii on Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:04 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Sonic KaBoomii
Former Member
Former Member

Blyton - shakedown 28/03/2014

Post by Sonic KaBoomii » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:35 pm

Good starter circuit, Blyton, cos there's not really anything to hit if you get it wrong.

Allan took me out for a few laps to run through the basics (total trackday novice) and try to help me learn the track. A couple of laps in, the engine spluttered and a huge cloud of smoke exited the exhaust
That's it! Everyone warned me RX8s were unreliable ...didn't even get one trackday out of mine :(

We came in and checked the elephant trunk and it was full of oil. The engine was still idling fine, so I went out for some cautious laps to see if it had just snorted some oil through the breather.
Aside from rubbish brakes; standard pads and fluid that was mostly water, the car performed really well for the rest of the day. Trackdays are fun!
Last edited by Sonic KaBoomii on Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:03 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Sonic KaBoomii
Former Member
Former Member

Bedford - 16/08/2014

Post by Sonic KaBoomii » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:36 pm

£ : Yellowstuff pads, brake fluid, rear HID level sensor arm

Noticed while jacking the car that the rear headlight level sensor arm was snapped, so ordered a replacement from eBay - even came with the nut & tab washer :thumleft:

PITA to remove though, as the original nut was corroded to buggery

Bedford is an interesting circuit …it’s fast, and wide, and there aren’t many reference points to tie-in consistent laps

It’s also punishing for those that never bothered to learn to heel-and-toe, and while trying to get the car stopped coming the end of the back straight the car wouldn’t go into gear. Stopped and got recovered back to the paddock.

Had lunch while we contemplated clutch failure, and then came back outside to test when everything had cooled down a bit. Wouldn’t select gear when running, so started it in first gear and managed to move about 3ft before pieces of clutch started rattling around in the housing.

Have you ever phoned the AA for a price for membership and emergency cover ? Don’t bother. It’s £165 (iirc) and £2.50 p/mile after the first 50 miles, so I was looking at a bill of around ~ £500
Abandoned the car at Bedford and got a lift home with Matt.

Nathan from NJcartransport (Shiply) collected the car for me on the Tuesday for a mere £182

Last edited by Sonic KaBoomii on Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Sonic KaBoomii
Former Member
Former Member

Oulton Park drift day - 10/10/2014

Post by Sonic KaBoomii » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:37 pm

£ : Recovery, clutch change

Drift day was great fun. Some controlled drifts ...mostly uncontrolled
(the organisers don't like it when you get out to top-up the oil halfway round the track - even if they have stopped everyone while another car is recovered) :|

Lost a mudguard on a bale of tyres though :(

My dad popped over from Stockport in the afternoon - didn't fancy a passenger ride, but was very happy to spectate. He's got a Hyundai Coupé ... what a good job, cos after a little spin off the track in the afternoon I needed a spare wheel to get home ! :(

[wheel wrench added after I found out where all the air was escaping]
Last edited by Sonic KaBoomii on Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:11 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Sonic KaBoomii
Former Member
Former Member

Cadwell Park - 29/11/2014

Post by Sonic KaBoomii » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:38 pm

Cadwell Park was such an experience - if you've not been, you need to!

I think perhaps because of the location (surrounded by trees, on a hillside) the track was very damp in the morning and needed a lot of respect. A few casualties during the day including a VX220 with a smashed front clam, and I was following a CTR which sped off out of Barn and promptly ran off the road and into the tecpro (bringing barriers and dirt back onto the circuit) [-X

Rain and failing light towards the end of the day was enough for me. Fuel light had come on, so decided to head off in search of fuel...which in Lincoln was about 20-bloody-miles away!? That was a horrible experience, driving through village after tiny village where all the ex-petrol stations are either garden centres or craft shops :?
Last edited by Sonic KaBoomii on Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:45 am, edited 4 times in total.
Rick - Follow my trackday misadventures at Sonic KaBoom trackday diaries

Sonic KaBoomii
Former Member
Former Member

Blyton - 10/03/2015

Post by Sonic KaBoomii » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:39 pm

Back to Blyton for the start of the 2015 season

The car was performing nicely, until some familiar clutch / gear selection problems just after lunch. Limped back to the paddock and noticed a strange tractor noise coming from the back of the engine :|

Looked underneath and there was oil dripping out of the front of the bell-housing. Switched it off and waited for Matt to come in, who confirmed it was a likely bearing failure :(

We concluded the engine was basically scrap, so when everyone had had enough, I brimmed the engine with oil and we set off to see how far we could get...

About a mile from the circuit it was smoking pretty heavily from the exhaust, and probably only 100 yards after that the engine went with a bang :evil:

Rang GreenFlag, and the others left me to my long wait for recovery.

[Oh well, time for a beer]

Got towed to the motorway, and then lifted onto a flat-bed for the long drive back to Preston

Last edited by Sonic KaBoomii on Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Sonic KaBoomii
Former Member
Former Member

Enter Sonic KaBoomii

Post by Sonic KaBoomii » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:41 pm

The sills on Sonic'1 were crumbling, so time to look for a replacement car ...one without a sunroof!

Sonic 2 was another eBay purchase from Harrogate. RotaryMotion rebuild, private plate, a full respray (so probably cared for, right...?) and some choice 'dipped' mirrors and engine cover with skulls on [-X

I was met at the train station, and we drove back to his place. Something from the front-end/subframe sounded very loose. He said he'd had it into a garage and they'd said it was the calipers :-k

Took it anyway, thinking I had spares if I needed them, but actually on investigation the rubber seals on the caliper sliders were perished, and replacing them cured it :thumleft:

I liked the black wheels, but wasn't too keen on the mismatch of Maxis, Nexen and god-knows-what tyres
Last edited by Sonic KaBoomii on Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:43 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Sonic KaBoomii
Former Member
Former Member

Croft - 28/08/2015

Post by Sonic KaBoomii » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:41 pm

Wired in a cheap china-spec dash-cam for BOOMii's first outing, and as the weather was nice, stuck it to the outside of the screen with a spare number-plate pad

The cheap tyres were a real let-down ...I thought it would just be a good shakedown day for the new car and the crap tyres would keep me honest (sensible) but there was no consistency in the handling, resulting in a couple of offs and silly spins on easy corners

Worse though was the chicane, which I thought I could straight-line to take some of the pressure off the tyres, only to get a massive tank-slapper on as one rear spun up, putting me off and into the tyre wall.
It was mostly panel damage thankfully, but it did reveal an amount of rust and filler in the OSR arch from a previous accident.

We put most of the bits in the boot, Matt taped the numberplate to the bonnet (which I later relocated), the bumper went back on and I gingerly drove it home.

Fortunately I'd not got round to breaking / scrapping BOOMi with the knackered engine, so set about replacing the doors and panels, and with some motivation and assistance from John we got a SOHN kit fitted and replaced one of the oil coolers that had a split (but not yet leaking) hose

Last edited by Sonic KaBoomii on Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:49 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Sonic KaBoomii
Former Member
Former Member

Donington - 12/03/2016

Post by Sonic KaBoomii » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:46 pm

With a 4-wheel alignment to confirm everything was still pointing in the right direction, the car was now ready for the 2016 season; starting with Donington

This was an RX8OC organized event (saved £40 with membership) ;) but there was a good mix of cars on track
Last edited by Sonic KaBoomii on Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Sonic KaBoomii
Former Member
Former Member

Mallory Park - 10/06/2016

Post by Sonic KaBoomii » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:47 pm

Sadly The Kraken didn't make it to Mallory due to some weird results at a recent mapping slot :(
Matt still came along to spectate though, and we met up with Malcolm (casey) and Jim (lennycarloff)
Last edited by Sonic KaBoomii on Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:40 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Sonic KaBoomii
Former Member
Former Member

Enter the RaceTruck™

Post by Sonic KaBoomii » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:48 pm

MOT disaster

This had just passed an MOT when I bought it [-X ...also failed the fast idle emissions and on headlight alignment! :roll:

With this and the Croft damage, BOOMii wasn't worth spending a heap of money on (it's only a track-car afterall) so a recovery truck seemed like a good solution ...with the added security should another Bedford incident occur

Found a cheap Transit Mk3 on eBay and read up on some of their issues - rust typically, but the engines are blissfully simple and practically bullet-proof. Right - let's do it...

Drove up to Cockermouth in the Lakes, viewed the truck, took it for a drive around the block and agreed to buy it. Should have checked the Mazda fit on it before agreeing the sale really, but as the guy assured me he'd carried a 2-ton Merc estate car on it No problems I assumed it would be fine. It sort of fit, but was a bit of a squeeze ...and I accidentally bent the front towing-eye by dragging the front of the car down on the winch (I think he was telling fibs about that Merc)

Being a non-turbo, it seemed a bit gutless, but more curiously - at 65mph allegedly - I was being overtaken by caravans on the way home :|
Fired up the SatNav and discovered I was only going 52 #-o

Got home to unloaded the Mazda on the industrial estate round the back of my house, put the wireless remote and key for the winch back in the ashtray, slammed the door of the truck and went to load my ratchet straps into the boot of the Mazda. Decided I might as well keep them with the truck, so went to open it again and the door handle snapped off inside the door :evil:

Abandoned it on the industrial estate and had to go shopping that weekend for a replacement window that I was going to have to put through to break-into my own truck!

Managed to push a qtr window out of a Mk5 Transit in a scrapyard with ease, but when if came to pulling the same window out of the truck, this happened -

Never mind. I was in. What's next in the calendar...

Also, found a nice little trick for getting the car onto the back of the RaceTruck™; winch it on backwards, then reverse the car the last 12-18" so the tow-hook sits above the winch (just need to try and not crash into the spare wheel on the bed!)
Last edited by Sonic KaBoomii on Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:28 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Sonic KaBoomii
Former Member
Former Member

Blyton - 16/09/2016

Post by Sonic KaBoomii » Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:50 pm

First wet trackday ...turned out to be the most fun I've had with my pants on ! (and after just a short walk across the paddock they were ready for coming off)
Famous too - (PPC magazine November)

Oh yeah, did I say there was nothing to hit at Blyton...
Last edited by Sonic KaBoomii on Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sonic KaBoomii
Former Member
Former Member

Snetterton 200 - 15/10/2016

Post by Sonic KaBoomii » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:01 pm

Snetterton started badly; I don't know if I'd not shut the boot properly, or there was some other drain on the battery, but the car wouldn't start

Went to the sign-on/briefing and forgot to start the truck before using the winch, so halfway down the bed that stopped, and the Mazda was now stuck #-o

Tried to jump-start the Mazda, with some crappy emergency jump-leads (aren't all jump-leads kind of an emergency) but that didn't work, and the truck was facing into a grass-bank blocked in at either side by other vans and tow vehicles

After chasing John around the paddock between noise-testing and sighting laps, I managed to find enough amps in the truck battery to release the winch and he suggested tow-starting the Mazda would be the quickest way of getting it going. He was right! :mrgreen:

Quite a lot of silly driving at Snetterton on this trackday, and a spectacular e46 engine failure, so the track was closed almost as much as it was open (for me, after my delayed start, anyway)

Had some interesting clutch release issues before lunch, but couldn't adjust the pedal to get round them (which probably isn't advisable anyway) and don't recall it being a problem after lunch

Fuel started getting low, and it's a long drive home (at 52mph!) so went to see if I could put some of the amps the Mazda had been generating back into the truck battery. Took forever. I eventually got it running and loaded and drove round to the garage to discover John had had to go to the nearest Halfords for replacement brake pads, cos the Yellowstuffs in Hadouken were down to the metal :shock:

Spare pads and proper jump-leads going in the toolkit for next time...

Return to “Personal Car Projects and Mods”