Calum's PZ Project

For you to showcase what you've done to your car and give other members ideas and inspiration.
Calum
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Calum's PZ Project

Post by Calum »

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this is a lot to read for my first proper post on here, but I've got a lot to catch up on considering that I've owned my RX8 for over a year now and have been meaning to register on here for just as long!

Where to begin...

Well, I went on the hunt for a car during May of last year as I'd just finished Uni, landed myself a job and decided that I should probably get something to replace my 24 year old Nissan Micra (this never happened in the end as I couldn't bring myself to part with it :roll: )

As I always do I did plenty of research before concluding that I'd like an RX8. I considered 350Zs, MR2s, R33 GTSTs and even an S4 B5 Avant before coming to the conclusion that the RX8 offered the most for the money, plus I like a car with a bit of 'uniqueness'. I looked around on the internet at a few and came across Hextable Rotaries who seemed to stock a good selection of RX8s and weren't to far away from me. Some of the reviews (one in particular) of Hextable made me hesitant to deal with them, but I thought I'd chance it.

Out of courtesy I gave them a call to let them know that I'd be coming down that weekend and spoke to Mark, who seemed very friendly. I aimed to get there early to avoid any crowds - this was a good move on my part. When we arrived Mark was outside to greet us and gave us a quick run down of some of the models we had in stock, told us to give him a shout if we wanted to take any for a test drive and left me and my girlfriend to look around.

Initially I was only thinking of spending £2-2.5K on a 231, as this seemed to be the sweet spot for obtaining a relatively tidy example. I'm a very fussy individual when it comes to the appearance of my car, I can't stand to live with dents / scratches / worn seats etc., so any car that I bought would have had to have had work done to get rid of any imperfections. Most of the examples we saw had cloudy headlights, a few scratches here and there, kerbed wheels and were far from perfect by any means (all were very competitively priced and well-cleaned mind you).

That's when we spotted the Galaxy Grey PZ at the front of the forecourt and our budget flew out the window :lol:

I literally couldn't fault it, the paintwork was perfect (not a swirl mark or scratch in sight) and the interior looked (and smelled) brand new. I hadn't originally considered a PZ model as all the examples, which were few and far between, were out of my initial price range. I spoke to Mark who gave us the keys for a test drive, was given a briefing on letting it warm up etc. and then sent on my way.

I've only ever owned relatively slow cars (the fastest probably being a Vauxhall Vectra 2.0t that I bought for £800) and the fastest that I've ever driven was probably my Dad's XKR, which whilst being very powerful, is also quite heavy. As soon as we set off in the RX8 I could tell it was something special - I felt perfectly connected to the car. It handled beautifully, sounded awesome and was very very smooth. Both me and my girlfriend returned with huge grins.

On our return a couple of lads were eyeing up the car and asked us what it was like to drive - they had been looking at a Kuro but had been rather disappointed by it, due to its apparently shabby state. I went in and spoke to Mark who came out to walk round the car with us and talk us though its history. He kindly pointed out that there was a dent on the rear quarter panel in front of the boot that he would get fixed if we bought it, along with some very slight lacquer peel on one of the headlight washers. He showed us the compression test results provided by LC (all in the low to mid-7s) and gave us a copy of the digital Mazda service record that showed, amongst other things that the cat and coils / plugs had been recently replaced - it also had one previous owner, which seemed promising.

We gave it a few hot start tests just to put my mind at ease and then went to talk business, half an hour later me and my girlfriend were the proud owner of a 56' Galaxy Grey PZ. We agreed to collect it in a weeks time to give them the opportunity to get the dent and lacquer peel sorted out, I couldn't wait to get the car and I found myself on here every day looking at all the potential things I could do to it!

We picked it up the weekend following and it had been freshly valeted and there was no trace of the dent whatsoever :D I followed my dad's XKR back home to London as was quite surprised at how well it could keep up (as was my dad) 8)

Here is a picture of when I got it home

I'll stop typing for the moment, as (believe it or not) there is still more to go before I have caught up to where I am now.

Well done if you managed to get this far =D>
These users thanked the author Calum for the post:
wjb (Wed May 11, 2016 3:20 pm)
Galaxy Grey PZ
20mm H&R Spacers / AEM CAI / Sohn Adaptor / Superstreet N1 Catback / Toyo Decat / Aero Kit / Alloy Fuel Cap / R969 Ignition Kit

If you don't look back, you bought the wrong car
brix79
Club Chairman
Club Chairman
RX-8: R3
Colour: Aurora Blue Mica

Re: Calum's PZ Project

Post by brix79 »

Brilliant story, looks like a real keeper too.
You can see why we all love these cars so much, and a PZ is one of the finest examples of an 8.

If you couldn't let go of your Micra, you've no chance of letting your 8 go.. ;)

Welcome to the Club!
John
Chairman & Forum Admin Team

2017-21 // 2010 Aurora Blue R3 | Gone, never to return, never to be forgotten.

2011-17 // 2005 Titanium Grey 231 | Gone. But Lives(d?) on.
Calum
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Calum »

Thanks Brix :)

Now, where were we.

One of the driving forces (excuse the pun) behind looking for a car to replace the Micra was the impending trip that we had planned - a trip to the Isle of Harris in June. After previously enduring a trip to North Wales in the Micra I decided a 2000 mile round trip might be pushing what the human body could endure :lol:

Nobody mention MPG - I threw away all of my fuel receipts as soon as I was given them.

The sad moment I retired my Micra to the garage :(

Prior to leaving for the holiday I gave the car a service:

- Oil change to Shell Helix HX5 15w40
- New genuine Mazda Oil filter (I noticed that on the last invoice from Mazda an R3 filter was fitted - I used an S1 filter though).
- Gearbox oil changed to Redline MT90
- Diff oil changed to Redline 75w90
- Coolant flush with FL22 Mazda coolant
- Started running the car on V-Power and premixing with Protek-R

Also gave it a once over underneath and all looked well - I was surprised at the lack of rust (I think the car was possibly kept garaged by the previous owner).

Gear changes felt even smoother following the gearbox oil change and there was significantly less sound from the diff when turning at low speeds.

Buying a car so close to the holiday was always going to be a bit of a risk, but it paid off. The car performed flawlessly and didn't miss a beat. Even with all the horror stories of flooding when cold, it still started first attempt when I accidentally stalled it one morning just after I started it.

Some scenery shot on the way through Skye (the weather was lovely for the drive up).

Waiting at the ferry port in Skye (The RX8 is nice to drive, but I found out that it's not so nice to sleep in over night). My mums on the left, then me, then my dad on the right - we drove up in a convoy.

It was worth the drive, the Isle of Harris is beautiful. I'd definitely recommend visiting, it has some wonderful driving roads (I'll find some pictures when I go through my camera). That's my girlfriends hand in the picture (just in case you couldn't tell) :lol:

I must admit that the fabled 'rotary paranoia' did set in at some points, especially when the low oil warning light kept turning on at one point for no apparent reason - I must have stopped five times within half an hour at one point to keep checking the oil level.

Aside from that, the car couldn't have performed better - after driving it on some of the roads up there I could see what all the fuss was about :D

Upon getting back to busy London I started to plan what I wanted to do with the car, the first thing on my list was some spacers. I opted for H&R Trak + 20mm Spacers, I had to hacksaw the ends of the wheel studs off to get them to fit, but they improve the looks of the car greatly in my opinion. On a side note, I did initially notice a greater sense of tram-lining, although this disappeared eventually (probably as I got used to it).

I also fitted some new Bridgestone RE050A's to the rear, which I noticed that the previous owner had opted to swap out for the RE040's. I immediately noticed how much more planted the car felt at the rear with the fresh rubber on.

I drove the car all through Summer and Autumn and didn't have a single problem with it. I did an oil change once more (as at this point I'd done about 6000 miles in the space of 5 months) and put it away for the winter to give the Micra some use.

I do miss driving the Micra; whilst the Mazda is better in almost every way, there's something about the simplicity of the Micra that I will always love. Plus it gets loads of comments whilst I'm out in it (just as many negative ones as good mind you :lol: ) and it's pretty nippy.

I figured that this would be a good point to start collecting parts to put on the Mazda when it came out of hibernation. So I set about getting the following together over the past 5 months.

Exhaust

I did originally have my heart set on a Pettit system, although I'd had to start saving for a house, so budgeting kicked in and I opted for an 'ebay' system.

This is comprised of Toyo Manifold (which definitely needs machining to fit), Toyo decat and a Superstreet N1 backbox. I have absolutely no idea how loud the backbox is going to be. The whole system set me back under £400 brand new though, so I'll see how it goes. I also picked up a Cats2u fitting kit.

Induction

I decided here that the only logical choice was an AEM kit, as I love the sound of induction. I managed to get one from carparts4less for the bargain price of £265 delivered using a combination of sale discounts and voucher discounts. It even came with a free AEM license plate holder, too bad I don't have an US sized plate to put in it...

Ignition

For the ignition, I've just ordered a new 2kw 14 tooth starter off eBay, and a Varta E23 battery. I'm also hoping to get my hands on a Rotary Revs D585R ignition kit and new plugs.

Appearance

I found a guy on eBay in the US who sells genuine, new and painted Aero kits. I sent him a message as I didn't need the spoiler / fog lights and two weeks later this arrived :D The paint finish on the side skirt pieces is suffering from lacquer overspray finish, but nothing a good correction compound won't fix. I checked this weekend and the colour match is spot on as well!

Sohn

One of the first things I actually bought when the car went off the road was a Sohn adaptor, as I've always wanted to run fully Synthetic oil in the sump (plus I have 40 litres of Shell Helix Ultra Professional 5w30 laying around as its what my dads car uses :lol: )

After reading the many many guides and tips available on here and the fairly comprehensive fitting instructions, me and my dad attempted it last weekend. In all fairness the hardest part seemed to be disconnecting the electrical connections to the OMP. It took a couple of attempts to get everything lined up and then it seemed to go together without too much hassle. It was fiddly holding everything together whilst attempting to line it up, although the extra pair of hands definitely helped!

This brings us to now. I'm going to get back to work on it this weekend where I hope to get the following work done.

- Fit the washer tank and plumb hoses in
- Ready the Sohn and premix heavily
- Double oil change to fully synthetic and fit new HKS oil filter (I went for HKS because its pink 8) )
- Fit the induction kit
- Fit starter motor
- Fit new Battery

I'm going to fit the exhaust / aero kit after it's passed its MOT.

I'll keep posting updates on here as I go, any suggestions / tips / pointers are always welcome.

Again, well done if you managed to read all of this!
Last edited by Calum on Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Galaxy Grey PZ
20mm H&R Spacers / AEM CAI / Sohn Adaptor / Superstreet N1 Catback / Toyo Decat / Aero Kit / Alloy Fuel Cap / R969 Ignition Kit

DrewPz
Former Member
Former Member

Post by DrewPz »

Erm oil change to fully synthetic?.....
Daily - 2014 BMW 120d F20 M-Sport, White, Alcantara Interior, Comfort Pack, LED HID Lighting Pack, Keyless Entry, Sat Nav + Upgraded media System, Privacy Glass Pack, Full M-Sport Kit, 18'' Twin spokes, Pirreli P-Zero's Show Civic Type R Fn2, Gp Aero Kit, Mugen Wing, Eibach Pro, Martelius Race System.
Sadly Gone - 2006 '56' Rx8 Pz Prodrive edition, Galaxy Grey
Calum
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Calum »

DrewPz wrote:Erm oil change to fully synthetic?.....
I can only see benefits of swapping to fully synthetic - as far as I'm aware the only reason that it's recommended that we use semi-synth / mineral grade oil is because of its burn properties.

As the Sohn adaptor feeds the housings with fresh 2t (or in my case Protek-R) oil, running fully synthetic oil in the sump (which is no longer injected into the housings) shouldn't cause any issues..

At least I hope that's the case - seemed that way when I researched Sohn adaptors.
Galaxy Grey PZ

DrewPz
Former Member
Former Member

Post by DrewPz »

Ah fair enough i didnt even think of that. Your logic seems sound on it i would just double check with one of the rotary places rather than just off online info bit i agree the logic seems to confirm that.
Daily - 2014 BMW 120d F20 M-Sport, White, Alcantara Interior, Comfort Pack, LED HID Lighting Pack, Keyless Entry, Sat Nav + Upgraded media System, Privacy Glass Pack, Full M-Sport Kit, 18'' Twin spokes, Pirreli P-Zero's Show Civic Type R Fn2, Gp Aero Kit, Mugen Wing, Eibach Pro, Martelius Race System.
Sadly Gone - 2006 '56' Rx8 Pz Prodrive edition, Galaxy Grey
Vian
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by Vian »

I'm not sure LC Rotary do Hextable's compression tests any more.
"Don't care if they say we are a dying race, I'd rather be here than any other place"
zippyonline
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Evolve
Colour: Copper Red

Post by zippyonline »

Enjoying the write-up Calum, I can even kindof relate to not wanting to get rid-of something like the Micra :D

In response to this:
Calum wrote:
DrewPz wrote:Erm oil change to fully synthetic?.....
I can only see benefits of swapping to fully synthetic - as far as I'm aware the only reason that it's recommended that we use semi-synth / mineral grade oil is because of its burn properties.

As the Sohn adaptor feeds the housings with fresh 2t (or in my case Protek-R) oil, running fully synthetic oil in the sump (which is no longer injected into the housings) shouldn't cause any issues..

At least I hope that's the case - seemed that way when I researched Sohn adaptors.

Yup, you're on the ball Calum, it's even covered in the Oil 101 for Newbies thread.
What is a Sohn adaptor and why does it mean you can use proper synthetics?

A Sohn adaptor is a device invented by Richard Sohn that is fitted to prevent the OMP injecting engine oil into the combustion chambers, and replace it with a 2T (2 stroke) oil feed from a separate tank added under the bonnet. The device was originally intended for rotary engines fitted to light aircraft, but is gaining popularity with RX-8 owners.

You can only fit a Sohn adaptor to an S1 and not the R3, due to a difference in design with the OMP arrangement.

Once fitted, as your car is no longer burning engine oil from the sump you are free to use real fully synthetic oils to get the best protection for your engine (real fully synthetic oils can have higher shear resistance, better high temperature tolerance and can stay 'in grade' for longer). In addition, as 2T oil is designed to burn whereas 4T engine oil is not, there should theoretically be a reduction in deposits left in combustion areas. You will also no longer have to check the dipstick after every other fuel fill. Instead, you keep the 2T tank topped up or rely on the oil warning lamp if you fit a level sensor.

The devices are available here, and there is some discussion about them on this forum here, though more detailed discussion is available in the member's area.

Common 2T oil choices:
With a Sohn adaptor you use the same oil in the 2T tank that you would for premixing - see the Premix section below

Common fully synthetic engine oil choices when running a Sohn adaptor:
Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40
Millers CFS 5w40 / 10w-40
Millers Nano drive CFS 5w-40
Copper Red Evolve - viewtopic.php?f=104&t=71400
Calum
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Calum »

Vian wrote:I'm not sure LC Rotary do Hextable's compression tests any more.
Bearing in mind that it was back in May last year when we bought the car (although I'm not sure how long they'd had the car for before we saw it). They seemed to have close ties to LC whilst we were there - as they kept saying that LC do all of the rebuilds for them.
Last edited by Calum on Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Galaxy Grey PZ

Calum
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Calum »

zippyonline wrote:Enjoying the write-up Calum, I can even kindof relate to not wanting to get rid-of something like the Micra :D

Yup, you're on the ball Calum, it's even covered in the Oil 101 for Newbies thread.
Thanks for the link Zippy :)

Funnily enough the Micra will probably be faster than the PZ when it's finished - although that's another story ;)
Galaxy Grey PZ

Leefuss
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Titanium Grey
Has thanked: 0

Post by Leefuss »

Vian wrote:I'm not sure LC Rotary do Hextable's compression tests any more.
That's what I was thinking. Couldn't remember where I read it so did a bit of searching et voila

http://www.rx8oc.co.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... 13#p988374
Calum
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Calum »

Made some more progress over the weekend so thought I'd post a quick update.

First thing on the list to do was finish sorting the Sohn adaptor - I attempted to prime the sohn using a syringe and spare piece of tubing, however the sohn didn't want to take anything so I just resorted to priming the line from the tank before connecting it.

I was going to refit the airbox, but after faffing around for ten minutes trying to get it back in place I gave up and just decided to pull the bumper off and fit the AEM induction kit whilst I had the car pulled apart. The instructions seemed to over complicate the installation slightly with regards to needing to remove the bumper bar and temp sensor equipment etc - I found it easier just to leave the bar in place and twist the pipe into position.
13087379_10156771455635262_2356462821748850607_n.jpg
13087379_10156771455635262_2356462821748850607_n.jpg (122.26 KiB) Viewed 1722 times
13102761_10156771462580262_499629609320783560_n.jpg
13102761_10156771462580262_499629609320783560_n.jpg (118.5 KiB) Viewed 1722 times
13131075_10156772675180262_4265826438606967343_o.jpg
The under tray for the original air box looks a bit untidy, so I might look at fabricating an aluminum panel to replace it or at least cover it up.

It seemed a shame to cover up the intake, so I set about removing the solid grill out of the front bumper. I secured the wire grill in place by drilling two holes at the top of the grille inlet and looping a couple of zip ties through each the corner. It looks good, but I'm unsure of what effect this will have on aerodynamics (or how wet the filter will get in the rain on the motorway). I fitted the sock that comes with the filter, so it should hopefully keep the worst of the rain off. I'll paint the bumper bar black next time I have the bumper off.
13119853_10156772685440262_4225043827484396357_o.jpg
13102847_10156771463910262_334654707679824569_n.jpg
13102847_10156771463910262_334654707679824569_n.jpg (178.83 KiB) Viewed 1722 times
I then got it up in the air to replace the starter motor, I'd opted for the 2KW 14 tooth one available on eBay for £120. Here it is compared to the old original unit. No problems fitting, it took all of 10 minutes, definitely one of the easier jobs I've done so far.
13139082_10156771488675262_8455311731783837657_n.jpg
13139082_10156771488675262_8455311731783837657_n.jpg (212.3 KiB) Viewed 1722 times
I then proceeded to fit the Varta E23 battery that I'd picked up, it's a nice snug fit in the battery box despite being a fair bit larger length ways - even the lid fits back on. I put an extra 200ml's of Protek-R in the fuel tank just to be safe (as I wasn't convinced that the Sohn was going to start feeding oil straight away), topped up the coolant I'd lost during the Sohn install, and fired her up. I could instantly tell how well the starter motor / battery worked as it turned over super quick compared to before.

It wasn't happy at all when it started, although I'm not surprised as it had been sat for a few months without being turned over. It was misfiring all over the place and smoking. Finally the revs settled and I gave it a few blips to 3000 rpm which seemed to clear it a little bit and then I took it for a spin up and down the driveway. After about 5 minutes the smoking stopped and all was well.

I disconnected the top vacuum line on the air intake and blocked it with my thumb, I could then see the oil flowing through the OMP lines into the engine, I kept doing this until all the air bubbles were gone. I got my mum to give it a bit of a rev whilst I did this and it seemed to work quite well - not sure who posted this tip on the forum as I couldn't find the thread again, but thanks! I definitely wouldn't have known to do this otherwise and it works really well.

I then put the front of the car back on stands and dropped the oil, it then started to rain so I left it to drain for 20 mins or so (I lowered the car back down and jacked up the passenger side which seems to get the most out). If anyone here it interested in detailing - this is the beading effects of Pinnacle's Souveran Carnauba Wax.
13138736_10156772473745262_3440657910573195702_n.jpg
13138736_10156772473745262_3440657910573195702_n.jpg (237.33 KiB) Viewed 1722 times
I refitted the sump plug and measured how much I got out (just under 4 litres), so refilled it with Shell Helix Ultra Professional AF 5w30 and started it to get the oil flowing again. I was surprised just how black the oil was when I dropped it for the second time, obviously a good thing as the whole point of doing a double change is to get the most of the old oil out as possible. Refilled it again and fitted the HKS oil filter (which is pink :D )

The oil this time was nice and clear on the dipstick, so clear in fact that I had trouble seeing where it was on the marker - I topped it up to a couple of mm short of the max mark.

At this point I'd been working on the car flat out for 8 hours or so and it was nearing 6pm. I was about to call it a night when I thought 'I'll just see how seized the exhaust bolts are in case I need to soak them in Plusgas overnight...'

Two hours later the old backbox/midpipe was off and the new one fitted. The bolts were the least of my worries... the hangers on the other hand :shock:

Those of you thinking of attempting this yourself will be pleased to know that the midpipe hanger actally unbolts from the diff, meaning that it can be removed after the exhaust has been pulled off the car. The four that hold the backbox on are a nightmare to get off though, I resorted to sawing through the drivers side hangers (the rubber not the metal) and using the twisting force of the exhaust falling to the floor to gradually work the passengers side ones off (I only needed to retain two for the new back box and the one from the midpipe).

The feeling of pulling the exhaust out from under the car was great [-o<
13087407_10156772536550262_8382139117788673628_n.jpg
13087407_10156772536550262_8382139117788673628_n.jpg (155.97 KiB) Viewed 1722 times
13062267_10156771485530262_7455650314304069289_n.jpg
13062267_10156771485530262_7455650314304069289_n.jpg (193.04 KiB) Viewed 1722 times
Here it is compared to the new system.
13063330_10156772542980262_590395866902366162_o.jpg
And here it is fitted.
13061928_10156772547230262_3819155390404816093_n.jpg
13061928_10156772547230262_3819155390404816093_n.jpg (143.37 KiB) Viewed 1722 times
13063078_10156772545050262_1882480190624999426_o.jpg
I was pleasantly surprised at the weight difference between the two systems and the quality of the fit was also good, it needed a bit of working to get level, but in the end I was pretty happy with the result for a £180 backbox. The midpipe does seem to sit a lot higher, which given speedbumps in London might not be a bad thing.

I dropped the car down and started it and was shocked at how quiet it remained at idle (I'm expecting that to change when the decat is fitted). The system really does sound awesome in conjunction with the AEM intake, especially when you hit 9k.

:D :D :D

It also starts from hot / cold now in not much more than a second or so (it used to take at least 2 / 3 seconds before the new battery / starter).

Just a few more things to get sorted now before it's back on the road.

I'm also thinking of opening the grills up in the rear bumper to expose the shiny new exhaust. Would look quite good I reckon, just need to bend the heat shield out of the way by the looks of things and secure the wire grills in place with zip ties as I did at the front.

Can't wait to get it back out on the road again!
Last edited by Calum on Wed May 11, 2016 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Galaxy Grey PZ

Nintendologist
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Phantom Blue

Post by Nintendologist »

Absolute cracker of a PZ you have there Calum, and it's great to see so much care and attention going into it - well done! :thumleft:

Love the subtle changes and a bit of father/son time as a bonus (I've found having mine has brought my dad and I together for some quality time better than anything in the past 10 years!)
Nov 2007 - May 2010: Galaxy Grey PZ (Parking sensors, Cruise control)

October 2015 - : Phantom Blue Evolve (D585 coils/Magnecor leads, Galtress 'Halo' LED headlights, resprayed alloys, hoop spoiler, Lockwood grilles all round, dropped numberplate, 13 Black ECU mini map, custom Nexus install, 20mm H&R spacers, Cobrasport cat back exhaust)
Calum
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Calum »

Nintendologist wrote:Absolute cracker of a PZ you have there Calum, and it's great to see so much care and attention going into it - well done! :thumleft:

Love the subtle changes and a bit of father/son time as a bonus (I've found having mine has brought my dad and I together for some quality time better than anything in the past 10 years!)
Thanks :) I definitely agree, nothing like sitting back with my dad after a hard days work on the car and admiring our accomplishments - its nice to have someone to share it with.
Galaxy Grey PZ

Calum
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Calum »

So, just another little update.

I managed to get the car insured on a separate policy with Adrian Flux, rather than waiting for my insurance on the Micra to run out in June. The guy I spoke to was a proper car enthusiast and we spent more time on talking about the car than actually sorting the insurance out. This is the first notably 'good' experience I've had with AF in 3 years of cover.

Just so others are aware, membership with this club and my Dashcam (Nextbase 512g) saved me over £150.

After getting the car insured I drove to Swindon to get it out the garage, I pretty much struggled to sleep that night as I was so excited to get it back out on the road. I woke up early, fitted the washer bottle from the Sohn support kit and plumbed in the secondary pump for the headlight washers.

Next was the exhaust shrouds - the new exhaust fouled the shrouds by about an inch in the bottom inwards corners at the back due to the angle of pipes, a hacksaw sorted this fairly easily and the cuts aren't noticeable at all.

On the drive back to London for the MOT it ran perfectly, it also passed without a single advisory, in fact the tester commented on just how tidy it was for a 10 year old car - a credit to its previous owner indeed.

The following day I booked it into PitStart (our local self-service garage) as we are friends with the mechanics there, they are always willing to get involved / give pointers and are generally happy to help out. We had the car up on ramps and the cat pipe changed for a Toyo resonated one in about 35 minutes, although I did have to space out the hanger with two blocks of wood to stop the pipe pushing on the driveshaft cover plate. Feeling good after doing this relatively effortlessly and with less holds ups than expected, I thought I would tackle the manifold at the same time. I soaked all the bolts in Plusgas which had to be loosened and left them to soak for an hour or so.

I decided to put the car on the floor as this is what's seems to be recommended. I jacked the front up and put it on stands, then removed the driver side wheel for better access to the manifold.

Firstly the strut brace has to come off, this took half an hour as the bolts where well and truly seized, I had to use a 4ft breaker bar in some instances, all came out except one, which sheared the captive nut off inside the subframe, meaning that we couldn't removed the brace, instead having to swivel it out of the way, with a mind to fixing it later on the ramps.

Next the engine mount has to be removed...

What a palava!

It took 1 and a half hours to get the mount off and the damper out. Hindered by seized bolts and limited space to get a 1/2' socket drive in, going was painful and slow. Finally got it removed in the end and took the damper out. It looks pretty good but I will probably replace them before the end of the year for piece of mind.

Now we come to the 'fresh air pipe'. The nut on this was so corroded and rounded I gave up trying to get it off in the end and just decided to put everything back together, time was getting on and at this point I was hungry and tired.

The mechanic has offered to do the engine mounts / manifold / re-weld a captive nut to the sub frame if I want, so I'm going to consider it over the next few weeks. After driving the car with the exhaust the way it is, I'm already really happy with it. I'm no longer sure that there is any real advantage to be had from fitting the manifold, especially due to the extra heat it will create and the possibility of a poor fit (fouling the engine mount etc.).

I am considering getting a blanking plate for the air pipe inlet so that the air pipe can be chopped for removal. I don't plan on keeping the air pump anyway.

What to do.....

Any advice would be appreciated, I can't make my mind up on whether its worth the hassle.

Thanks,
Galaxy Grey PZ

wjb
Former Member
Former Member

Post by wjb »

Looks like you've got a good example of the best rx8 8)

Nice to see the pics of all the work you're doing on it, keep 'em coming.
Ex - Galaxy Grey Mazda RX8 PZ
Current - BMW X5 & baby YZF

Like I told my last wife, I says, "Honey, I never drive faster than I can see, besides that, it's all in the reflexes."
Kellytm272
Former Member
Former Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by Kellytm272 »

Hi Calum, love the car. Looks like you and I have similar mods :-)
Calum
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Calum »

Kellytm272 wrote:Hi Calum, love the car. Looks like you and I have similar mods :-)
wjb wrote:Looks like you've got a good example of the best rx8 8)
Nice to see the pics of all the work you're doing on it, keep 'em coming.

I forgot to mention that 100 miles after fitting the Toyo midpipe - not an EML in sight! [-o<

I'm also proud to report 3 ft flames - I've never had a car that produces fireballs of this scale before :lol:

Waiting to get the R969 kit and plugs in the group buy and then I guess it might be time for a mini map / remap.
Galaxy Grey PZ

Calum
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Calum »

Managed to get the front Aero lip fitted. Useful to know that the inside of the bumper is marked in the six places that require drilling.

Seems to be a good colour match. Just have to fit the rest of the kit now :)

Has anyone had trouble fitting the wire mesh to the lower portion of the grille. Mine curved upwards athe the edges and looked rather unsightly, so I've left it off for now. I'll modify it to fit when I get a chance.
IMG_20160525_000818.jpg
Galaxy Grey PZ

Calum
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Calum »

Finally got the entire Aero Kit fitted.
uploadfromtaptalk1465250314327.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1465250314327.jpg (112.84 KiB) Viewed 1401 times
I also refurbed an alloy fuel filler cap that I got off here recently. Was a bit corroded so I wet-sanded it back and polished up, then clear coated it. It came up quite well.
uploadfromtaptalk1465250314327.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1465250314327.jpg (112.84 KiB) Viewed 1401 times
I may paint it in galaxy grey to match the bodywork at some point.

I also finally stuck my owners club sticker in the window!
uploadfromtaptalk1465250293245.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1465250293245.jpg (51.9 KiB) Viewed 1401 times
Next on the list of things to do is fit reformatted number plates (for obvious reasons - might go for an import sized plate on the rear), window tints and a retrimmed steering wheel.

Gotta get the wheels refurbed at some point as well, they're starting to show their age; the paint is worn through in places.
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1465250480953.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1465250480953.jpg (58.25 KiB) Viewed 1401 times
These users thanked the author Calum for the post:
Nintendologist (Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:50 am)
Galaxy Grey PZ

MadTaz
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by MadTaz »

Looking really good there, the aero kit sets it off a treat! =D>
Last edited by MadTaz on Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15th year of ownership and still here :)
wjb
Former Member
Former Member

Post by wjb »

Nice work 8)
Ex - Galaxy Grey Mazda RX8 PZ
Current - BMW X5 & baby YZF

Like I told my last wife, I says, "Honey, I never drive faster than I can see, besides that, it's all in the reflexes."
Nintendologist
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Phantom Blue

Post by Nintendologist »

One of my favourite cars on here, Calum. Absolutely gawjus (sic) =P~
Nov 2007 - May 2010: Galaxy Grey PZ (Parking sensors, Cruise control)

October 2015 - : Phantom Blue Evolve (D585 coils/Magnecor leads, Galtress 'Halo' LED headlights, resprayed alloys, hoop spoiler, Lockwood grilles all round, dropped numberplate, 13 Black ECU mini map, custom Nexus install, 20mm H&R spacers, Cobrasport cat back exhaust)
Calum
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Calum »

Thanks for the kind words :)

Just thought I'd update this thread with a few more recent pictures and a list of things I plan to get done in the coming months.

To do:
Fit new coils / plugs / leads (RR group buy)
New engine mounts
Tint windows
Refurb wheels
Fit manifold and remove SAI

And now for the pictures 8)

Recently gave it a detail, finishing off the process with some of Pinnacle's Souveran Carnauba Wax. Can't recommend this stuff enough, water beads off so well that even after a dirty rain shower it's still spotless. It can also be layered, and layered........and layered :thumright:
IMG_20160709_212557.jpg
IMG_20160709_212851.jpg
I also made some flames
IMG_20160529_225418.jpg
And finally, my two favourite cars from Goodwood (naturally).
IMG_20160626_221301.jpg
Galaxy Grey PZ

tmk
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: Import

Post by tmk »

very very nice pz! (y)
RX-8 (2011/PearlWhite) RE Amemiya Redom AType2.0 ECU+Super Intake Box+SportsCat,RMagic TunedMuffler TitanCut,5.125 Final,Tein MonoSport w/EDFC,WedsSport SA55mMGM 18x9.0J,Neova AD08R 245/40/R18,Dixcel SD+IDI GT2 brakes,AutoExe MemberBraceSet, Bride GIAS Carbon,HPI 4pt,MOMO,TRUST InfoTouch+LEG83005,YupiteruGWR53sd,Carrozzeria http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/vi ... 04&t=55428

Return to “Personal Car Projects and Mods”