Pete's RX-8 Time Attack project

For you to showcase what you've done to your car and give other members ideas and inspiration.
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: 231
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Re: Pete's RX-8 Time Attack project

Post by warpc0il » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:51 pm

Observations regarding the weight saving;
- 9kgs isn't going to make the world of difference in acceleration/braking, so I assume the advantage is in lowering the CoG, given that the glass is all above the original CoG, and therefore helps with body roll.
- replacing the front side windows makes the winder motors redundant, so they would have gone too, though I suspect that they went some time ago.
- this is all part of an aggressive weight saving exercise, so it all adds up.
- I could do with losing 9kg (or more) and it wouldn't only help the performance of my car
- before you suggest it, the average male human head only weighs about 5kgs :roll:
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ

PeteH
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Custom

Post by PeteH » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:22 pm

warpc0il wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:51 pm
- 9kgs isn't going to make the world of difference in acceleration/braking, so I assume the advantage is in lowering the CoG, given that the glass is all above the original CoG, and therefore helps with body roll.
Both. 9kg is very hard for me to find now, so I'm increasingly prepared to spend money to reduce weight. And 9kg is a larger proportion of my car than of a standard RX-8. For info 9kg is about 0.4 seconds in an F1 car... Reduced CofG primarily reduces weight transfer, which is a quantifiable increase in grip, which is nice. And, if I crash, I'd rather not be showered in glass.
warpc0il wrote:
- replacing the front side windows makes the winder motors redundant, so they would have gone too, though I suspect that they went some time ago.
There's nothing in my doors. At all. I don't even have the door locks. I even butchered the handles to remove everything that wasn't necessary to keep the doors latched. The few people who have opened my doors have nearly thrown them through the bonnet. They are seriously light. There isn't even a single electrical wire going into the door anymore.
warpc0il wrote:
- this is all part of an aggressive weight saving exercise, so it all adds up.
:thumleft:
warpc0il wrote:
- I could do with losing 9kg (or more) and it wouldn't only help the performance of my car
Me too. :( I keep thinking I've got a few months before the car's on track. My subconscious is well aware that the more I spend on making the car lighter, the more cakes I can eat... #-o
warpc0il wrote:
- before you suggest it, the average male human head only weighs about 5kgs :roll:
But we all know yours contains way more than 5kg of knowledge Dave. ;) :lol:
These users thanked the author PeteH for the post:
warpc0il (Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:24 pm)
RX-8 in Time Attack 2016 (2nd in class) & 2017 (Championship Winner)
http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/vi ... 04&t=69554

PeteH
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by PeteH » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:30 pm

And a request, in case anyone has any good ideas. I'd love to get:
- A Seibon dry carbon boot lid.
- A Seibon dry carbon bonnet.
- As set of Seibon carbon wings.
If anyone knows of any knocking around, that would be great (yeah, I know :lol: ). I'm not going to stump up the £4k that lot would cost new...

Failing that, I'm probably going to fit glass fibre front wings, just for the weight saving. But I have no idea how to ensure I buy lightweight ones, since no one that makes them quotes the weight. So, does anyone know of any seriously light glass fibre wings? With my luck, if I take a punt on some then they'll probably end up heavier than stock steel wings...
RX-8 in Time Attack 2016 (2nd in class) & 2017 (Championship Winner)
http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/vi ... 04&t=69554

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:37 pm

If it's any indication, all fibreglass bonnets and most carbon fibre bonnets listed for the RX8 weigh more than the OEM alloy bonnet - Seibon being one of the obvious exceptions.

Any Seibon product represents a significant weigh saving, in the wallet department ;)

I'm sure I saw someone down under (Oz or NZ) offering alloy replacement front wings, but I'm buggered if I can find a link
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ

ChrisHolmes
Events Team Member
Events Team Member

Post by ChrisHolmes » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:00 pm

You could always take an angle grinder to the inside of the steel wings, carefully of course!
Supercharged
Racing Beat Alloy flywheel
Exedy Stg 1 Clutch
White Line ARBs
Tein Monosport Coilovers
Speedline diamond cut alloy wheels
Racing Brake 4 pot calipers, slotted discs & alloy bells
Racing Beat Custom front bumper, grills & Side Skirts
Mazdaspeed Rear Spoiler (Customised)
Rear Diffuser
Vented Carbon Bonnet
SOHN Adaptor