Long-time no-update (TOO BUSY ENJOYING THE CAR) oh and also work
Ooooh.. Nerd by name, Nerd by nature, I love it. Physics degree perchance? If so I’m slightly jealous and we must never meet, I’d have so many questions.
I’ve updated the video with the proper sprayers we actually used on the day, far better misting.
I’ve since done another drift day – this time using Mazdaedit to make the fans cut in several degrees sooner which, it seems, works far better than the sprayers. I don’t think the car went over 103’C all day (as opposed to 110+ on the first day with the sprayers)
Footage from the first drift day if anyone’s interested, it’s on our little Motorsport page that I co-run with some close friends:
Also went for a session at the Sprint track to get some practice for whatever track days get booked up. This was going well (still with a broken rear spring by the way) and it turns out that the car lift off oversteers like an absolute dream. See video below taken from another video we made:
Also had a go in my friend’s FD … oh boy. Just … drive one.
Then it was about time I got that pesky broken spring sorted because the rattling was driving me crazy (duct tape and zip tie didn’t last long) and it wasn’t safe … but mainly the rattling, since I didn’t have a working stereo or a loud exhaust.
Went for the Tein lowering springs in the end ... I wonder how long until coilovers or PZ suspension takes its place.
Then I did a deal with my friend Shaun with the green machine and got a working radio which was very painlessly fitted and now working, happy days. Then realised I need an aux/USB connection in my life still so that was a short lived victory haha. On the list it goes.
Tyres tyres wheels and tyres. Also in the deal were some already bead blasted 18” OEM wheels which speeded things up. Repainted in VW Daytona Grey satin to match my red MX-5 buddy’s Rota RKR’s. Really happy with the colour.
Also bought –ahem- a few tyres of various stickiness – in particular some Nankang NS-2R in the soft 120 Track compound for Japfest etc
Full alignment too (it wasn't too far from factory specs to be honest) running a little more toe in than I probably should but I'd rather stay on the track for now and slowly dial it out toward 0'00" until I'm happy.
Mazdaedit, after a bit of faffing, now fully working and managed to have a good play with it. A particular favourite is my little crackle map which essentially dumps ‘a little bit’ more fuel into the manifold on overrun for hilarious childish explosions which will only get better once I’ve finished my custom back box.
Reflashed a couple of other people’s ECU’s now too – anyone in the Leicestershire area need reflashes, let me know, I don’t charge much.
With Japfest approaching and far too little time available, only just managed to get the roof sprayed gloss black in 2K.
I’m so sorry beautiful Velocity Red paintwork.
Had to do it in a rush, in a dusty cold warehouse with a leaking roof in the dark. As a result, I’m really not happy with the finish. The concept, in my opinion, is fantastic but it really needs wet sanding and buffing to really shine. Watch this space, I’m not finished with it yet.
Also in the Japfest prep was going over (or should I say, under) the car to make sure everything is A-okay for the track. Found a few leaks in the exhaust - on the back of the catalytic convertor and one of the exhaust tips was hanging on by a thread – the other probably very nearly about to be in a similar state so they were MIG welded back up and checked for leaks. Lovely.
Also found out the gearbox has a slight leak from the reverse switch – this had to be cleaned, tightened and silicone’d for the time being as it was only days until Japfest. Took this opportunity to finally check the level plug on the gearbox and whoa … couldn’t see anything with my endoscope. The gearbox took about 500ml of fluid! Close call. Differential was fine though.
Bit of a clean with the new wheels on, ready for Silverstone!
Like an idiot with no time to do things properly, I accidently bought my ticket from the main Japfest site which meant I couldn’t get on the stand
luckily I managed to get hold of a stand pass aaaand here the car was for most of the day! Far from the nicest car on the stand but very proud to help represent this amazing club. The cakes etc were great too.
Oh and I definitely didn’t rush back from my 17:00 track session to find the RX8OC stand completely dismantled and put away with all the cars gone resulting in me needing to quickly grab all of my tools etc out of Pete’s car (who was just leaving) which definitely didn’t fluster my 5-hours-sleep brain making me drive 95% of the way home like this:
Nope, clearly not me, can’t see the number plate, can’t prove that it was me. Fml
The next drift day went a little better – Tooley’s S15 that was on display at Japfest was there as well having it’s shakedown.
Met a few other RX-8 owners there too as well as Luke Murdoch (Murdoch’s Rotary Spares, Guildford) who came over to say hello – really nice chap.
Due to a previous incident with a high kerb when I took my dad to the hospital (that ended up snapping the old plate), the bracket and screws haven’t quite been themselves lately. This got worse after I took the bumper off at Santa Pod and thus, it is now sitting in the windscreen until I can get it properly sorted at work. Not having much luck with number plates lately it seems.
Now to get these engine mounts sorted tomorrow. I had a look at them this morning after suspecting they weren’t 100%. Suspicions confirmed. A pair of low mileage engine mounts picked up later this evening from RexPartsMidlands for £30, fantastic. Thank you, Adrian.
I’ve got the Midlands RX-8OC meet this Friday so hopefully they won’t cause too much hassle – got the old nuts/bolts/studs soaking in penetrating fluid overnight.
Until next time