Mark's Black RX8

For you to showcase what you've done to your car and give other members ideas and inspiration.
mzivtins
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Brilliant Black

Mark's Black RX8

Post by mzivtins »

Hello all you RX8 lovers.

I've decided to follow suit and create a car/build thread about my RX8 that i thought was mint, but clearly is not.

I bought my RX8 in March 2015, yep i am a n00bie owner essentially.
The car looked great, the interior really is mint and the paint... well, its mazda! so the best we can hope for on a 2006 car.

I share the same story as most first owners; I couldn't believe the handling, i simply went for an incredibly cheap awesome car and ever since then this thing has been so much more than that!

The car was completely stock, the wheels were in VERY good condition and to my knowledge everything was sound with the engine.

Looks are purely subjective, i won't be pushing my opinions as fact, just personal taste.

The first thing I wanted to do was to bring the car up to date with wheels, the stock wheels are great but i felt showed the age of the car.

I settled for some OEMS 111 in satin black:

Fronts:
19x8.5j 45mm offset
Eibach 5mm pro spacer
Falken Azenis FK453 225/35 ZR19 (Slight stretch)
Rear_Wheel.jpg
Rear_Wheel.jpg (280.92 KiB) Viewed 2053 times
Rears
19x9.5j 45mm offset
Eibach 5mm pro spacer
Falken Azenis FK453 255/30 ZR19 (Slight stretch)
Front_Wheel.jpg
Front_Wheel.jpg (266.91 KiB) Viewed 2053 times
Last edited by mzivtins on Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:46 am, edited 4 times in total.
mzivtins
Club Member
Club Member

Re: Mark's Black RX8

Post by mzivtins »

Whilst the car was still stock, i felt something strange with the handling, quick directional changes really unsettled the car on the front. It felt almost as if the front was lifting from corner to corner when going from left to right and vice versa.

Close inspection showed the stock drop link to be completely shot on the drivers side front.
This tiny little thing DESTROYED the confidence in this car.

I decided to do a complete swap of the drop links, anti roll bars and all suspension.

I chose the Bilstein B12 Pro Kit with the Eibach springs that quote a 35mm lower than the Non UK stock height.

I chose the Ultra Racing ARB's with fully adjustable drop links (non recommended as they sound HORRIBLE)
ARB.jpg
ARB.jpg (284.78 KiB) Viewed 2046 times
Suspension.jpg
Suspension.jpg (180.23 KiB) Viewed 2046 times
Suspension_Work.jpg
Suspension_Work.jpg (247.54 KiB) Viewed 2046 times
After this i had the car fully set up, and i could not believe the handling, it was insane!
Last edited by mzivtins on Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
mzivtins
Club Member
Club Member

Post by mzivtins »

I also fitted a Toyo Sports decat system, cheap, cheerful and... yeah temporary:
PaintRestore.jpg
PaintRestore.jpg (319.62 KiB) Viewed 2042 times
At this point the paint was really pissing me off, the previous owner obviously liked to wash the car with a sand blaster :evil:

So i set about restoring the paint work.

The whole procedure took a solid 24 hours of work to get done, this was cutting the paint back to remove scratches and any orange peel (ripple in the lacquer) then swirl mark remover and then the entire car three grades of polish all the way up to resin polish.

The results were spectacular. It didn't matter that my car had cost £2250, next to 25 mile audi a5's and bmws, my car looked newer and far superior in qaulity.

Bad news is, i will NEVER be happy with a manufacturers paint again, they just dont do it right unless you buy an Aston or Bently etc.

Prep was long, i bought a full sized tent to do this work in:
ToyoSports.jpg
ToyoSports.jpg (161 KiB) Viewed 2042 times
The results were fantastic.
Dark_paint.jpg
Dark_paint.jpg (230.42 KiB) Viewed 2042 times
_MG_4199-2.jpg
_MG_4199-2.jpg (280.27 KiB) Viewed 2042 times
Next to other black cars...
Is it me or does the TT look 10years old, slow and boring compared the the near 10 year old RX8?
VSTT.jpg
VSTT.jpg (377.11 KiB) Viewed 2042 times
Last edited by mzivtins on Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
mzivtins
Club Member
Club Member

Post by mzivtins »

After the paint was looking a LOT better, i would wax weekly, wash weekly and dry clean every 2-3 days.

I then restored the interior, the leather is now as new after 60k+ miles thanks to a steam cleaner, leather cleaner and lots of balm.
interior3.jpg
interior3.jpg (287.45 KiB) Viewed 2037 times
interior2.jpg
interior2.jpg (279.87 KiB) Viewed 2037 times
Interior1.jpg
Interior1.jpg (292.88 KiB) Viewed 2037 times
Last edited by mzivtins on Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
mzivtins
Club Member
Club Member

Post by mzivtins »

I wasn't happy with the ride height and the gaps to the arches over the rear wheels, so i swapped the Eibach springs for H&R.

I'd like to give a quick review so that others can make an informed decision if they plan to go from Eibach to H&R's.

If you aren't desperate to go from 30-45mm then DONT DO IT.

the difference between the Eibach and H&R springs is instantly noticeable. The car lost that incredible edge it had with the Eibachs on, the H&R's, in my opinion, pale in comparison, they only excel in the ride height!

From a stock car to how it is now, i feel it has more poise, purpose and aggression in its look. Black on black may not be to some peoples taste, but i wanted to bring aggression to a car that had a more up-beat happy look. I'm an absolute metal head, balls-to-the-wall metal heavy B tuned manly metal, i love aggression and loud things that make everyone in my village hate me (Although the guy with the Ferrari said he loves the sound of the rx8... go figure! obv drunk on money!)

The airdam wasn't for me, i used the profile of the headlights and the lowering of the car to make the car appear to be lower and wider at the front. The airdam would add to the impression that the front nose is taller.
_MG_4216.jpg
_MG_4216.jpg (293.2 KiB) Viewed 2036 times
All springs and ride heights are the same all round, but again the impression the loweness of the car brings, with help from the lights, gives the car a more purposeful look with the arse having the impression it is kicked up at the back:
_MG_4236.jpg
_MG_4236.jpg (356.67 KiB) Viewed 2036 times

The wide rear tyres give the rear of the car a more dominating presence:
_MG_4228.jpg
_MG_4228.jpg (274.55 KiB) Viewed 2036 times
But there is only one way to experience the RX8:
_MG_4269.jpg
_MG_4269.jpg (190.07 KiB) Viewed 2036 times
mzivtins
Club Member
Club Member

Post by mzivtins »

This is where we get to the interesting part...

So the engine was never good, it was getting weaker and weaker with every passing day.

It finally went full hot start problem two weeks ago.

On the 06-12-2015 i delivered the car to the man himself, Ben, at Rotary Revs.

Given the personal value i have for this car, or any RX8, this was never just going to be one of Bens platinum rebuilds.

Here is the full list of the rebuild... which i think is the wrong term, this is more like a restoration!

Engine:
Platinum Rebuild
Half Bridgeport
New radiator
New Oil Cooler Pipes
Coil, Leads and plugs fitted
New engine mounts fitted
Lightweight Pulley kit fitted
New clutch
New lightweight flywheel
Milltek cat back with decat pipe and headers
Uprated oil pump regulator
R3 Start motor
Lightweight Rotors
New hoses
Engine clean up/colour?

Running gear/Handling:
Rear suspension arms replaced for aftermarket ones
New wheel bearings all round
Restoration under the car and sealing with 3m seal
Restore the front and any running gear to be as new, For parts that will rust: painting
Ksports 8pot Front BBK fitted
Ksports 4po Rear BBK with Handbrake mount fitted
New drop links (mine are noisy as FK!)
Meister R coilovers
Spacers on the front (Currently 5mm front and rear. Rears are perfect but the front need probably 10-15mm spacers)

Body/Aero:
Respray in the same brilliant black. Plastic lower bumper trim to be black like the body paint
Remove dents (a couple there)
Seibon Carbon Skirts
Seibon Carbon AE Front Lip
Seibon Carbon AE Rear Lip
Seibon GT Wing
Restore rims, they have scuffs
De-badge the car
Fill in the rear centre brake light
Remove the stock rear lip-spoiler
PZ Mirrors Fitted

Misc:
Bin the front Fog lamps
MOT
Full alignment and suspension setup

Once this monster build has been completed, the car will be as close to new as can be, that is the aim. Nothing pains me more than getting under the car and seeing such a horrible mess, i never understood how this could be! I come from me entire life revolving around sports bikes and i want this car to still look factory fresh after 5 years, just like a good sports bike will give you.

So after riding sports bikes for over 10 years, can you see why i was fascinated by the rx8 ;)
313626_10150293275761390_7539373_n.jpg
313626_10150293275761390_7539373_n.jpg (25.05 KiB) Viewed 2036 times
Its an odd circumstance, the bike is a big v-twin with BAGS of torque, and the RX8 is the higher HP beast... And yet, to me anyway, they feel like brothers
913619_10151554669161390_2119845508_o.jpg
Keke
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by Keke »

Wow,
That's a lot of work! Good on ya,
brix79
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by brix79 »

:whathesaid:
That will be such a beast when it's completed!

The paintwork does look fantastic too. =D>
John
Forum Admin Team

2021- // 2009 Sparkling Black R3 | Pettit Exhaust | 20mm Eibachs

2017-21 // 2010 Aurora Blue R3 | Gone, never to return, never to be forgotten.
2011-17 // 2005 Titanium Grey 231 | Gone. But Lives(d?) on.
phoenix11
Former Member
Former Member

Post by phoenix11 »

Looks fantastic :thumleft:
What are you gonna do about front number plate? Always look good without one.
Steve.
2004 Titanium Grey 231
'The meek shall inherit the Earth'
AdamGaltress
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Evolve
Colour: Copper Red

Post by AdamGaltress »

Looks awesome!
AdamGaltress
Events Team & Comms Team

JDM RX-7 FD - Project Thread
Bridgeport Copper Red MazdaSpeed Evolve - Project Thread
- Parted out
WildMan10
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Crystal White

Post by WildMan10 »

You've got the later leather seats too.

Best Suzuki twin by far was the RGV250.

BTW where are you?
Ian
Now back to one, a white R3. Gone but not forgotten: 04 Tit Grey 231, 06 Copper Red Evolve (231), 09 VR R3, 10 Aurora Blue R3, 06 Black PZ; RX87 13BREW project car ;-( ; 04 White with Greddy turbo conversion ;-(

Buying a used RX8 turbo is like marrying a stripper.
Beware - older people may be cr@p drivers but they can afford better lawyers
mzivtins
Club Member
Club Member

Post by mzivtins »

Thanks guys!
phoenix11 wrote:Looks fantastic :thumleft:
What are you gonna do about front number plate? Always look good without one.
:oops: I plan to run without, its been ok for a few months so far :twisted:
WildMan10 wrote:You've got the later leather seats too.

Best Suzuki twin by far was the RGV250.

BTW where are you?
I love the RGV's the very rare 500's you see with the 250 fairing are some of the best looking bikes ever made. Despite the very boxy frame it, the still look so up to date!

I'm just outside of Peterborough, between Peterborough and Stamford if that means anything?

I did wonder about the leather, as the side parts of the seats on other rx8's tends to be rippled (or is it ribbed, for her pleasure :lol: )
CharlieK
Former Member
Former Member
Been thanked: 0

Post by CharlieK »

Paint work looks terrific, and really good to see so much dedication to these awesome cars.

Mine is currently in a body shop having the rear bumper and side arch drivers side renewed after a 70 year old in a yaris scraped past me in a petrol station. Its one thing thats always bothered me since buying mine, the swirl which look like some washed it with a brillo pad.

I know there is extensive DIY detailing on here from a number of members, but im keen to know what steps/products you used for your car?
Chris the Sheep
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by Chris the Sheep »

=D> Wow fantastic mod list for the rebuild :D

Great to see you restoring the car to its full potential, actually wait, it should be better than when it rolled off the production line with these mods. It's going to be expensive, but assuming you are going to keep the car for a few years it still represents good value for what is a unique and rare car on the roads.

Love the rear view with the car lowered and the 9.5in rear wheels. How is driveability with the wider wheels? Besides looking very cool, I question the function of wider wheels :-k
Chris

Racing Brake 4 Pot Calipers | Slotted Front/Rear Discs | Braided Brake Lines | D585 Coils | 18in Stuttgart Alloys + Bridgestone Blizzak Winter Tyres | R3 Alloys + Bridgestone RE050A Tyres | Racing Beat Braided Cooler Hoses | Tinted Windows
mzivtins
Club Member
Club Member

Post by mzivtins »

Chris the Sheep wrote:=D> Wow fantastic mod list for the rebuild :D

Great to see you restoring the car to its full potential, actually wait, it should be better than when it rolled off the production line with these mods. It's going to be expensive, but assuming you are going to keep the car for a few years it still represents good value for what is a unique and rare car on the roads.

Love the rear view with the car lowered and the 9.5in rear wheels. How is driveability with the wider wheels? Besides looking very cool, I question the function of wider wheels :-k
Thank man, i am really looking forward to feeling the car once it is done. Mathematically it doesn't work out, the amount it costs vs the market value of the car is silly... but the market value of these cars just isn't the right thing to look at.

The way i see it, is i personally have, what is essentially a brand new, utterly incredible handline sports car, that looks and sounds like nothing else for s steal next to buying the most simple of cars.

I bought my girlfriend a Mazda 2 sport and the RX8 all in will probably come in a shade under what the mazda 2 cost... no comparison :)

I cant really say much for the rear wheels if i am honest, i changed suspension and wheels all at once. But the handling defies belief, if you were going to be a handling purest, it would be best to have a non staggered setup.

Where it does make a big difference is power delivery, getting on the power coming out of a bend is that much more epic, with good rubber the levels of grip are INSANE. I had a full setup done on the suspension and asked for an ever so little camber in the rear to help with power round corners.

If anything is just looks dead cool, its very porsche 911-esque look :)
mzivtins
Club Member
Club Member

Post by mzivtins »

CharlieK wrote:Paint work looks terrific, and really good to see so much dedication to these awesome cars.

Mine is currently in a body shop having the rear bumper and side arch drivers side renewed after a 70 year old in a yaris scraped past me in a petrol station. Its one thing thats always bothered me since buying mine, the swirl which look like some washed it with a brillo pad.

I know there is extensive DIY detailing on here from a number of members, but im keen to know what steps/products you used for your car?
I saw your thread where this happened! didn't you say she basically just smiled at you as it happened :shock: :evil: ridiculous!

It was those exact same swirl marks that really got on my nerves too!

The kit i used to restore the paint:
2x Worklights (very bright)
A huge tent to house the car for a couple of days
Masking tape
DAS-6+ PRO DA Polisher
3 x Menzerna Compounding Pads (6")
3 x Menzerna Polishing Pads (6")
2 x Menzerna Finishing Pads (6")
1 x 250ml - Menzerna Fast Gloss (S500) Cut 5.0 Gloss 1.0
1 x 250ml - Menzerna Intensive Polish (IP2100) Cut 3.5 Gloss 3.0
1 x 250ml - Menzerna Super Finish (SF4000) Cut 2.0 Gloss 5.0
1 x 250ml - Menzerna Final Finish (SF4500) Cut 1.0 Gloss 5.0
Autoglym surface detailing clay
Autogylm high definition cleanser (wax and oil remover)
Autogylm fast glass (high evaporation)
Autoglym bird dropping wipes (incredible for bugs)
Autoglym intensive tar remover
Autoglym custom wheel cleaner (a step up from autoglym clean wheel)
Autoglym Super resin polish
Autoglym rapid detailer
Autoglym high definition wax (the best on the market by far)
about 20 very high quality microfibre cloths. Medium pile is best, thick pile clogs too much!

Here are the steps in restoring the paint:
Ok so all that kit above is mostly overkill... you only really need 2 of the three types of pads and the 20 odd microfibre cloths i had, are just through collecting them over time, but you will need a lot!

Its best to do this indoors, or a big tent with no wind coming in.

Prep
1: Firstly the worst part... a proper good wash, i do (pressure wash) water jet, foam, water jet, foam, water jet.
2: Using microfibre cloths dry the car (a pain, but chamois scratched paint if there are slight contiminants!)
3: Clay the car all over using the autoglym clay and rapid detailer
4: Use fast glass and insect removal wipes on really hard stains and tar remover on tar.
5: Then we wash all the body work and wheels using the Autoglym hd cleanser, its like polishing the car but its and incredibly deep clean, its dissolves all waxes and contaminants.
6: Mask off all the trim, this includes any plastic and badges. you don't have to mask lights

Cutting the paint
Clear coat is almost always referred to as paint (threw me off)
1: using the compounding (AKA cutting) pad first, this is a VERY hard pad, use this with your cutting compound (Menzerna Fast Gloss (S500) Cut)
2: apply three bean sized blobs directly onto your cutting pad evenly
3: using the lowest rpm, spread the compound across the area of paint. Work in a box of around 20inches x 20inches
4: when you have an even spread increase the rpm of the polisher and work the polish across your imaginary box area in a linear up, down, left, right fashion. circular movements are not needed.
I hit full rpm on almost every 'box' working area, you have to ease up to this as you will find that the polisher will start to hop and pounce accross the surface when the compound hasn't sufficiently broken down enough to allow super high rpm.
5: work each area between 2-3 minutes. it will only take a few areas before you are accustomed to how it feels as the compound starts to break down.
6: After each area, wipe the area clean with a microfibre cloth, this makes things SO slow, but it is worth it, it gives you hands a rest and allows you to really inspect your work.
7: Using the high power lighting you will easily see that the scratches are gone. you may see some odd artifacts and feel like you have swapped one problem for another, which is true, and if this happens it is the desired affect! so dont worry :)
8: If you use the Menzerna Fast Gloss (S500) Cut, it takes a LONG time to remove the scratches, it does take more rpm and time but the compound is the latest thing from Menzerna and it does NOT leave any holograms. This is due to the fact the aluminium in the compound breaks down so well it changes into a lower grade abrasive compound as it is used.

Once you are done cutting, take a fresh microfibre cloths and buff all over the paintwork. There should be no compound anyway as you wipe after each area worked. This just ensures there is no dusting or crap left on the car.
At this point you have probably worked for hours endlessly and you car will already look better than it ever has, but you will see it lacks that deep DDEEEEEEEPPP shine :)

Swirl mark remover
Some polishes are called swirl mark remover, the one i used was the: Menzerna Intensive Polish (IP2100) Cut
These are finer grades of the cutting compound we used in the cutting phase... all we are doing is trading bigger scratches for smaller scratches.

1: Using the Menzerna Polishing Pad (slightly softer than the compounding pad) apply the swirl mark remover compound to the pad in the exact same way we did for cutting the paint.
2: Repeat this exactly the same as the cutting method.
3: you can use higher RPMS and finish off at maximum with this :)

The swirl mark remover process isn't useless if you cannot see any swirl marks, it is the next grade of polish, so this step helps achieve the final finish.

Now:

Polishing
Polishing gets a lot easier now, super easy motions and high rpms make this a doddle compared to the two previous steps.
Simply use the Menzerna Finishing Pads to polish the whole car, area by area (exactly as before). Start with the Menzerna Super Finish (SF4000) Cut 2.0 Gloss 5.0 and then move onto the Menzerna Final Finish (SF4500) Cut 1.0 Gloss 5.0

After the 1st pass of the SF4000 grade polish, you will think thats it... job done... the car will be SO flat and the shine will be SO deep, but dont stop there! finish with the SF4500 grade polish and that is the final piece of the puzzle :)

so that is it! we have cured you paint of all scratched the do not penetrate the lacquer layer :)

If you were to leave this as it is, it would return to scratches over the period of 3-5 months. so now we:

Seal
Autoglyms super resin polish is awesome, it is so fine, we cant really call it a cut compared to the other compounds we have just used.
It is best to think of this as a polish that gives a non protective layer over the paint.

Apply this by hand, one big area at a time, like a whole door, or bonnet etc. give it a few mins then buff off with a clean microfibre cloth (hey everyone knows hows to polish)
What you will notice is that the paint feels very different to your touch, it will feel slippery and you hands will glide over!

Once you have polished, we are now going to seal the paintwork HARDCORE! Using the Autoglym High definition wax, use the sponge to apply an impossibly small layer over your entire car! do this all by hand, it should look like a matte haze all over your car, i cant say enough, just a small layer, if you see build up you have used too much and buffing will be a pain!

OH! wax your wheels aswell! its so cool! they never get dirty!

Leave the wax to cure for a while, anything 15-20mins is fine, then using the best microfibre towels you have buff this off with minimal pressure, youre simply wiping it off, not polishing, so the lightest of buffs will do :)

This wax is good for 5 months full protection! it will actually last longer but i tend to wax once a month :)

I did this all with zero experience. The menzerna pads and compounds are really the best on the market, purely because they have been developed to destroy themselves rather than ruin your panel if the polishing is abused. See for yourself... grab a spare panel and use all of your body weight at full rpm with the cutting compound and you will NOT damage your paint, the pad will disintegrate instead :)

I'm going to come back to this tomorrow morning and clean up typos and spelling mistakes :lol:
These users thanked the author mzivtins for the post:
CharlieK (Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:34 pm)
Leefuss
Former Member
Former Member
Has thanked: 0

Post by Leefuss »

The car looks awesome!! Loving the black on black wheels.....stance is perfect in my eyes
WildMan10
Club Member
Club Member

Post by WildMan10 »

There are only a few sets of the later leather seats with the smooth bolsters. I much prefer them to the earlier ones as the latter's bolsters look too artificial (for those that don't know, most modern car leather is pretty artificial, being made up of thin slices of leather bonded to a fabric backing then sprayed with colour and a protective film).

I know Peterborough well as I travelled extensively around there when I Iived at Huntingdon for a while in the 1980s.

I'm not a fan of staggered wheels too - IMO they're form over function. Wider wheels are a personal choice - they do improve grip but also reduce acceleration (higher inertial mass), top speed and mpg (both from higher drag and tyre resistance) - and for road use I prefer the standard wheel and 225 tyre width combination to the aftermarket wider wheels and 265 tyre width combination that I'm keeping for my project car.
Last edited by WildMan10 on Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian
Now back to one, a white R3. Gone but not forgotten: 04 Tit Grey 231, 06 Copper Red Evolve (231), 09 VR R3, 10 Aurora Blue R3, 06 Black PZ; RX87 13BREW project car ;-( ; 04 White with Greddy turbo conversion ;-(

Buying a used RX8 turbo is like marrying a stripper.
Beware - older people may be cr@p drivers but they can afford better lawyers
mzivtins
Club Member
Club Member

Post by mzivtins »

Oh cool! i didn't realise these seats were any kind or rarity to be honest.

And i agree, the fact that they are 19inch is also counter intuitive as they are heavier than having 18s or 17s on there, it is purely for looks.

Once the build is done i will grab some enkie's to go on for track days with track day tyres, best of both worlds then :)
J2daG1990
Former Member
Former Member

Post by J2daG1990 »

That will be a beast once finished looking at that mod list!
Just out of interest I notice the engine build includes Lightweight Rotors?
Did Ben say what these do to the drive-ability and performance of the car at all? Presuming it's similar to fitting a lightweight flywheel..
Build Thread for the JDM Inspired R3 - http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/vi ... 04&t=62214
mzivtins
Club Member
Club Member

Post by mzivtins »

J2daG1990 wrote:That will be a beast once finished looking at that mod list!
Just out of interest I notice the engine build includes Lightweight Rotors?
Did Ben say what these do to the drive-ability and performance of the car at all? Presuming it's similar to fitting a lightweight flywheel..
I really cant wait, which sucks as naturally this will take some time :lol:

Tyler has had his rotors lightened too... I only hear amazing things tbh.

Lightening the rotors also includes a full balance of the engine so even on hard engine mounts there is apparently almost NO vibration!
What i am interested in is the higher safe RPM range and the engine spinning up much faster = freeing up HP

Once the car is done i will have to let a forum member drive it, as i cannot compare because my engine has never been at full power :(

There is no real HP goal with this, but with lightened: Pulleys, Flywheel, rotors and engine balancing then the addition of a half bridge port we may make 50% more power.

I want the car really drive-able on the street, and i think lightened everything improves that hugely as the car is apparently so much easier to live with, bit of extra power and less vibration.

I believe if you went to full bridge port with all the lightening going on, you could make one of the highest HP NA RX8's ever.

I love NA because it tends to lend itself to driveability and reliability... although it was so tempting when i saw two Pettit superchargers on bens workbench! :lol:
kopite72
Club Member
Club Member

Post by kopite72 »

Paul's car ( Tyler82 ) is awesome,the work Ben and his crew did on it was fantastic.Paul and myself were driving back from RR to the ferry in holyhead and the sound coming from our cars was incredible especially in the tunnels :twisted: Paul also replaced the rear suspension arms ( 10 in total ) with upgraded arms from Japspeed ( also on my list ) he also had a BHR decat mated to a Racing Beat catback and believe me when i tell you it sounds like nothing else,you really have to hear it to believe it.....Regarding lightened rotors im not so sure they are worth it,its obviously a personal choice but for me if im having a rebuild its not something that would really interest me,id prefer to invest that cost in a lightened flywheel and an exedy stage 1 clutch and maybe stretch to a Racing Brake BBK :D 8)
R3 GONE, FUN WHILE I HAD HER BUT NOW LOVING MY 25TH ANNIVERSARY MX5

Mods so far..
BBR 200 PACKAGE
COBRA " RACE " BACK BOX
MEISTER COILOVERS
KONIG HYPERGRAMS ( POLISHED LIP)
RACING BEAT ARB's ( FRONT AND REAR )
IL MOTORSPORTS STRUT BRACE AND ADJUSTABLE
DROPLINKS

Mods planned..
BBR STAGE 2 SUPERCHARGED
WILWOOD 6 POT BBK
FULL UNDRBODY SEAL
ATOTO HEAD UNIT
mzivtins
Club Member
Club Member

Post by mzivtins »

kopite72 wrote:Paul's car ( Tyler82 ) is awesome,the work Ben and his crew did on it was fantastic.Paul and myself were driving back from RR to the ferry in holyhead and the sound coming from our cars was incredible especially in the tunnels :twisted: Paul also replaced the rear suspension arms ( 10 in total ) with upgraded arms from Japspeed ( also on my list ) he also had a BHR decat mated to a Racing Beat catback and believe me when i tell you it sounds like nothing else,you really have to hear it to believe it.....Regarding lightened rotors im not so sure they are worth it,its obviously a personal choice but for me if im having a rebuild its not something that would really interest me,id prefer to invest that cost in a lightened flywheel and an exedy stage 1 clutch and maybe stretch to a Racing Brake BBK :D 8)
That BHR header/decat he has is insane... i would love to go that route, but then what happens when you need to MOT it?

The other side of the lightened rotors is just for more reliability really, the redline is determined by the porting and the mass under rotation, going a little lighter on the rotor should reduce wear on the E-shaft at high rpms, which is the reason why race engines use them, ignoring the power increase :)

I love tylers car, the work that has been done to it. I hope it becomes a disease that infects everyone to almost fully restore these amazing cars :lol:

My engine will go from standard to half bridge with light rotors, light flywheel and light pulleys, so the change is going to be quite fierce personally!

Are you and Tyler down for next aprils silverstone meet? be awesome to see you guys down there! I'll be bringing a cat pipe just in case :lol:
kopite72
Club Member
Club Member

Post by kopite72 »

we dont have that problem in ireland because rotaries are exempt from emissions testing so happy days :mrgreen: Ya paul's car is insane,hes spent megabucks on it,ill be doing the same but ATM shes my daily so i wont be going crazy on her ( as much as id like to ) gotta get a second car and then the fun will start 8) Ill keep adding to her now,things like a set of Meister coilovers and a set of 20mil eibach spacers wont exactly break the bank ;) We might get to the AGM in March,it just depends on whether Paul can get the days off.Im hoping to attend the Scottish meet in September so ill try and persuade Paul to get his arse to that too :giggle:
R3 GONE, FUN WHILE I HAD HER BUT NOW LOVING MY 25TH ANNIVERSARY MX5

Mods so far..
BBR 200 PACKAGE
COBRA " RACE " BACK BOX
MEISTER COILOVERS
KONIG HYPERGRAMS ( POLISHED LIP)
RACING BEAT ARB's ( FRONT AND REAR )
IL MOTORSPORTS STRUT BRACE AND ADJUSTABLE
DROPLINKS

Mods planned..
BBR STAGE 2 SUPERCHARGED
WILWOOD 6 POT BBK
FULL UNDRBODY SEAL
ATOTO HEAD UNIT
mzivtins
Club Member
Club Member

Post by mzivtins »

kopite72 wrote:we dont have that problem in ireland because rotaries are exempt from emissions testing so happy days :mrgreen: Ya paul's car is insane,hes spent megabucks on it,ill be doing the same but ATM shes my daily so i wont be going crazy on her ( as much as id like to ) gotta get a second car and then the fun will start 8) Ill keep adding to her now,things like a set of Meister coilovers and a set of 20mil eibach spacers wont exactly break the bank ;) We might get to the AGM in March,it just depends on whether Paul can get the days off.Im hoping to attend the Scottish meet in September so ill try and persuade Paul to get his arse to that too :giggle:
Ah i feel the pain dude! i would never have done this if the engine didn't go on me! sucks not driving a rex tbh :/

That amazing you don't have to to stupid emissions test over in IRL!

We need a seperate section for Meister R fans :lol: Never mind how well they perform, they look the tits dont they!

Return to “Personal Car Projects and Mods”