Tyler's Irish 8!

For you to showcase what you've done to your car and give other members ideas and inspiration.
tyler82
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Titanium Grey

Tyler's Irish 8!

Post by tyler82 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:14 pm

So gents, I've been a member of this forum for a while now. Joined up in the summer of 2012 and like everyone else, have had ups and downs with my RX8! Never regretted buying her though and I love her to death :lol: :lol:

Not actually got my car back yet, but figured now is as good a time as any, to start my project thread.

So what made me want the car? I loved the styling. It really does look amazing, plus I admired Mazda for going with something unconventional - the rotary engine. I was to fall in love with that sound :mrgreen: I also loved the way Mazdas drive - really sharp handling, something the German cars can't offer.

I read this forum for quite a while, trying to learn as much as I could and I browsed the for sale ads for about a year, before the one I wanted appeared. It was everything I was looking for - the high powered version, low mileage, leather interior and had extras like the sat nav and parking sensors. It was also one of the two colours I wanted - the other was black.

So I bought the car in May 2012. It was actually the first time I bought a car privately, so was a bit nervous about the whole thing. The previous owner was a real nice guy and had looked after the car.

Drove up to Dublin and met him, took the car for a test drive and was very impressed. Sitting low to the ground, first thing I noticed was how comfortable those leather seats were. They were perfect. Then pushing down on the accelerator, that rotary surge was addictive! Overall, the interior was impressive and the car seemed like a great example. I got the car compression tested that day too. It was healthy, so I agreed a price and left feeling very excited!

Later that week, took the day off work, withdrew the money from the bank and drove up with a couple of friends to get the car. Met the seller at his house, counted out the money and took ownership of my wonderful car!!! :mrgreen:

Previous owner had brimmed the tank as promised and I drove the 60 miles back home. The gauge didn't move for a while, but when it did, it just kept moving! I didn't care though. Once home, we all took turns, ragging the car and acting like hooligans :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Next day, I had to go to work. My Mazda 3 was left in the driveway and I went straight for the 8! Drove the car for the rest of the week to work, even though it was meant to be a weekend toy! 300 km (180 miles) later and the fuel light was on. That's when it hit home, this car is seriously expensive to run! :shock: :shock: :shock:

The car had a couple of issues. Headlight leveling fault was on, coolant light came on intermittently, the starter was on the way out and it needed new plugs, leads and coils.

I set about solving the issues. Headlight fault was solved by buying one used from a breaker's yard. 50 quid sorted that. Bought a new coolant tank, R3 starter and plugs, leads and coils - all from MRP. Decided to do all this and get a full service done, so all the fluids were changed too. Previous owner had run the car on 5W 30 Fuchs semi synthetic. Switched to mineral 10W 30 (now only use 10W 40) to protect the bearings. The car then flew through the NCT (Irish equivalent of the MOT).

So here are a few pics of the car when it was advertised:
Attachments
IMG_3827_zps4qniyser.JPG
IMG_3827_zps4qniyser.JPG (114.69 KiB) Viewed 724 times
IMG_3823_zpsmrkhkuma.JPG
IMG_3823_zpsmrkhkuma.JPG (100.4 KiB) Viewed 724 times
IMG_3822_zpsynmizx05.JPG
IMG_3822_zpsynmizx05.JPG (182.9 KiB) Viewed 724 times
IMG_3821_zpsfmhd56al.JPG
IMG_3821_zpsfmhd56al.JPG (118.57 KiB) Viewed 724 times
IMG_3818_zpsmreaqk3z.JPG
IMG_3818_zpsmreaqk3z.JPG (103.72 KiB) Viewed 724 times
IMG_3816_zpscfrukz7m.JPG
IMG_3816_zpscfrukz7m.JPG (120.41 KiB) Viewed 724 times
Last edited by tyler82 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author tyler82 for the post:
Frederick (Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:08 pm)
Paul

RR Platinum Rebuild, Lightened Rotors and a Half Bridge, plus many other mods.

Check out http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/vi ... 04&t=66822

kopite72
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Diamond Grey

Re: Tyler's Irish 8!

Post by kopite72 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:20 pm

About time you started a thread!!! Looking forward to reading all about the bridge ported rebuild,lightened rotors and all the other things you're getting done to her :wink: ( even tho I'll be seeing her soon ) She'll be one of the most sorted 8's anywhere when you get her back which won't be long now :D
R3 GONE, FUN WHILE I HAD HER BUT NOW LOVING MY 25TH ANNIVERSARY MX5.... MODS INBOUND 8)

Conan
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Conan » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:25 pm

I think I'm looking forward to this one Paul :thumright:
Well done =D>
Pete
Events Coordinator. 2014 to 2017

I’m an expert in nothing....I have made mistakes in everything

Shagrington
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 192
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by Shagrington » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:27 pm

Nice, looking forward to seeing how you progressed to "Too many mods to mention". :)
'Grington.
former Club Treasurer 2010-18 (now finally retired) \:D/
Silver 192 green interior LEDS, Nordic Green hoop spoiler, roof inserts and wheels Silver Stripes

tyler82
Former Member
Former Member

Post by tyler82 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:27 pm

The car was running very well now. One thing that was really starting to bug me was the alloys. They were stock and I loved the stock wheels, but they were so badly corroded. I was reading a lot into weight saving, especially around the wheels. I decided to go for black Oz Racing Ultraleggeras. They only weigh 8 kg. I thought the black would look really good against the grey bodywork and so it proved! To continue the weight saving, I bought the lightweight wheel nuts from MRP in black, to match the alloys. Complimented this with black locking nuts too.

There was some screeching coming from the brakes, mostly the rear. It was getting to the point where I only wanted the best upgrades for her. I was plowing money into the car, but all that mattered to me was she was healthy and better than before! My friends thought it was funny that I was spending so much, but I didn't care. So continuing the theme of blowing money, I decided an overhaul of the brakes was needed. I bought two brand new rear calipers from the US and the complete big brake kit from MRP. Went with the red calipers on the front, as I felt they matched the black alloys perfectly. Got the rear calipers painted red too.
Attachments
image_zps1bd339bb.JPEG
image_zps1bd339bb.JPEG (107.77 KiB) Viewed 721 times
2_zps531effe6.JPG
2_zps531effe6.JPG (125.28 KiB) Viewed 721 times
Last edited by tyler82 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Paul

tyler82
Former Member
Former Member

Post by tyler82 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:28 pm

Thank you Ian and Pete! You are too kind :)
Paul

tyler82
Former Member
Former Member

Post by tyler82 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:29 pm

Shagrington wrote:Nice, looking forward to seeing how you progressed to "Too many mods to mention". :)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: There are plenty here who have done more than me, but I'll try my best to fill you in :mrgreen:
Paul

MARKTHOMASBRAND
Club Member
Club Member

Post by MARKTHOMASBRAND » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:33 pm

Loving the wheels & BBK Paul 8) =P~

Regards,Mark.
Mark's : 2020 Championship White Honda Civic FK8 Type R .

Mandy's : 2019 Mazda MX-5 30th Anniversary RF # 1761/3000.

Yorkie194
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Yorkie194 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:47 pm

Best colour combo really looking forward to watching this thread develop

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Titanium Grey 2005 231, Rotary Revs Rebuild with Street Port, RR D585-R Coil Kit (D969's), Full Aerokit, Gloss Black Wheels, De-badged, RR Lowering Springs, RR 20mm Wheel Spacers, Toyosports De-Cat & Catback (c/w ear plugs)
Whisper Purple 2014 Citroen DS4 D-Style (Family Bus)
White 2015 Mercedes C220 Bluemotion (Company Motorway Pounder)

kopite72
Club Member
Club Member

Post by kopite72 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:49 pm

What Mark said,I love the RB set up too,saucy money but oh so worth it.....someday :wink: really looking forward to the Bridgeport rebuild write up,going to be a beast man,I'm guessing 240 ponies?
R3 GONE, FUN WHILE I HAD HER BUT NOW LOVING MY 25TH ANNIVERSARY MX5.... MODS INBOUND 8)

tyler82
Former Member
Former Member

Post by tyler82 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:27 pm

MARKTHOMASBRAND wrote:Loving the wheels & BBK Paul 8) =P~

Regards,Mark.
Thank you Mark :)
Yorkie194 wrote:Best colour combo Image really looking forward to watching this thread develop Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks Rich, I agree! :)
kopite72 wrote:What Mark said,I love the RB set up too,saucy money but oh so worth it.....someday :wink: really looking forward to the Bridgeport rebuild write up,going to be a beast man,I'm guessing 240 ponies?
Cheers buddy. Go for it, you won't be disappointed! All speculation, I'll just be happy when she's back :D
Paul

tyler82
Former Member
Former Member

Post by tyler82 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:47 pm

At the weekends, I would take the car for blasts in the countryside with a friend. We'd take it in turns to put the 8 through her paces! After spirited driving, I noticed there was a burning smell from the clutch. It wasn't my driving either :lol: Again I started to research parts to buy! I found researching upgraded parts for my 8 to be very addictive and satisfying (I know there's something wrong with me :lol:).

At this stage, I had learned about the existence of a company called Black Halo Racing (BHR), in the States. I decided on an Exedy Stage 1 Clutch, as this was fine for the road, but durable enough to take some abuse. Have to say, I found this clutch to be excellent and much better over the stock one. While ordering the clutch, I decided to get a lightened flywheel too, as I felt the 8 was a little sluggish off the line. After reading up on flywheels, I concluded that the BHR one was the lightest around and could be used for street use. Also splashed out on a BHR highflow cat and midpipe. I knew this would be a big weight saving too, so I got it.
deff97a1-a16a-4e81-a801-429cd9ba8010_zpsb79fa39e.JPG
deff97a1-a16a-4e81-a801-429cd9ba8010_zpsb79fa39e.JPG (145.62 KiB) Viewed 721 times
ACT2_zps37bb816c.JPG
ACT2_zps37bb816c.JPG (182.16 KiB) Viewed 721 times
Exedy_zps61c1f700.JPG
Exedy_zps61c1f700.JPG (208.97 KiB) Viewed 721 times
Exedy2_zpsc24712de.JPG
Exedy2_zpsc24712de.JPG (70.67 KiB) Viewed 721 times
BHRflywheel_zpsb3b5b818.JPG
BHRflywheel_zpsb3b5b818.JPG (44.56 KiB) Viewed 721 times
BHRmidpipe_zps80b72ea3.JPG
BHRmidpipe_zps80b72ea3.JPG (27.75 KiB) Viewed 721 times

Charles at BHR, is a straight down to business type of guy and I found him to be excellent to deal with. The items were all shipped out and received with minimal custom charges. A lovely surprise!

When the items arrived, I could see quality was top notch, particulary on the midpipe. I can see why people rave about BHR across the pond. I was so happy with the products and service, I became a loyal customer!

So with the clutch and brakes upgraded, the car was starting to feel like it was really something special. I was getting the oil changed so often, it was almost like OCD :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by tyler82 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul

tyler82
Former Member
Former Member

Post by tyler82 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:06 am

The car felt great after these mods and I decided to get her remapped. I had heard a lot of good reports about Group B and decided to book the ferry across to Wales to get it done. Brought a mate with me and the trip began. Got there with no issues and they did the compression test, which it passed. Results below.

Rotor 1 - 7.9/7.9/8.0 @ 299rpm
Rotor 1 - 7.0/7.0/7.1 @ 250rpm
Rotor 2 - 8.4/8.5/8.0 @ 298rpm
Rotor 2 - 7.5/7.6/7.1 @ 250rpm

They then had the car for about 3 and a half hours. While waiting, one of the guys came out and said they couldn't remap the car. There was a problem with the engine and it needed a rebuild. I was shocked :shock: :shock: They said the bearings had caused a groove in the housing and this was reflected in the dyno when they pushed the car to over 6k rpm. Instead of a linear surge, when it reached 6k rpm and over, the readings were all over the place. They also said there is no point remapping the car until this issue is sorted, ie a rebuild. I was quoted 5,000 GBP for a rebuild and needless to say I didn't get it done! :shock: :shock:

Also, I had the hotter plugs (7) in the car. They replaced them with 8s and told me that the 7s cause detonation :shock: This was news to me as I had never read anything about this before. In my mind I was thinking, why would MRP sell the plugs if they caused detonation (they wouldn't). I was left disappointed by the experience. The one thing that did cheer me up though, was the fact I bought the Group B exhaust. I had a good time going home through some Welsh tunnels and flooring the car :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: After a while though, I felt the system began to drone a bit on the motorway. I would address this issue later.

On 7/7/13, there was a rotary day in Port Laoise. Don't have any pics, but it was here that I met Ian (kopite72). Was nice to put a face to the name, especially after many posts online :thumleft: Ian would become someone who I could rely on and offer advice for any problems I faced! It was also nice to meet someone who had a lot of passion for the RX8.
Paul

kopite72
Club Member
Club Member

Post by kopite72 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:34 am

Liking your thread Paul,your teasing us just enough to want to know what's next :wink: No bother on the help/advice,anytime dude :thumright:

tyler82
Former Member
Former Member

Post by tyler82 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:45 am

I contacted Charles again and this time I ordered the BHR ignition kit. I wanted the car to get some more power, but I did it mainly for the peace of mind that the ignition would not be a problem for a long time. Didn't notice any difference in power though.

I found myself talking about the 8 a lot! :lol: :lol: I talked about it so much, that I convinced a friend of mine to buy one! He didn't get it in the end, but we went down to Cork to look at a non runner. Since Cork is home to Ian, I decided to contact him and meet up to see this car. My friend was going to drive down in his 320D. I wasn't having it though and said the journey has to be done in my 8 :mrgreen:

So I brimmed the tank and set the 8 a challenge of getting us home and back in 450 km (270 miles) mostly motorway. She failed :lol: :lol: :lol: Anyway, got down to Cork and viewed the car. It had quite a few scratches and the interior wasn't in great condition. Looking at it made me realise just how good my car was in comparison. We walked away from it in the end. Was nice to meet Ian again and he got to hear my Group B exhaust in action :lol: :lol:

On the trip back, I noticed there were times where the car didn't feel as fast as it should. It was hard to pin down. Some days no problem, others it was definitely there. It began to frustrate me. Also, the mpg was starting to get worse. It was gradual, an mpg here and there. I began to worry, was she going to blow up? :lol: Rotary paranoia set in. The previous owner had run it on 5W 30, as Mazda said at the time and before anyone knew any differently.

The car became lethargic in 2nd. It would pull to the beep without issue but it felt jaded, like it was going through the motions. There was no urgency. It's hard to describe, but it was there. My mates tried to tell me I was imagining it, but I knew something was up. The worsening mpg vs the performance began to annoy. Tank after tank was devoured and I began to think to myself, I am not happy with the performance I'm getting in exchange for the running costs. I decided to do a test. My mates 320D against my 8. Not a drag race as such, but we got a straight road and I went off first. I just told him to follow me and see if he could keep up. He did, easily, which amazed both of us. That was the final nail in the coffin for me, I was getting it rebuilt.

I began to read into rebuilds. Porting was becoming the norm and it intrigued me. It was so hard to extract more power out of the Renesis, but it appeared porting was the answer. I didn't know of anyone in the Republic of Ireland that could do it (as of 2014). So it was the UK I had to go to, which was no problem at all for me. I will go where the quality work is. I decided I would get it rebuilt in March 2015. Wasn't sure where though.

Got talking to Andy in AMT down in Surrey. Nice guy who knew his stuff. Heard about RR and Haywards too but wasn't sure who to go to. Then disaster struck. I was driving on the motorway and the car had a very slight hesitation. It was so slight but I noticed it. That's not good I said to myself. I remember thinking, I'll just sit in 6th and nurse her back home, no beeping or hard driving. Then it hesitated again, I was getting worried. The car began losing speed and I couldn't regain it, even with the pedal floored. I eased off and dropped a gear. No difference. I pulled in and stopped. Tried to set off and the car was juddering back and forward. Not good, but no lights came on. I was doing 80k (50 miles) an hour and the car was not getting any better. She started to die, I pulled in and she sounded rough. Then she woudn't hold the idle without revving, then nothing. Gone. Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :baffled: :baffled: :baffled: :baffled: :baffled: :baffled:
Last edited by tyler82 on Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul

GreySilver Beast
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Custom

Tyler's Irish 8!

Post by GreySilver Beast » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:46 am

Looking good Paul :P and look forward to reading more =D>
GSB-TDU - Committee - Events Coordinator & Events Team Admin
RX-8OC Club Calendar
NPT Website
GSB III 03/08/13 - Present
New ****** on 1st September 2021

tyler82
Former Member
Former Member

Post by tyler82 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:47 am

kopite72 wrote:Liking your thread Paul,your teasing us just enough to want to know what's next :wink: No bother on the help/advice,anytime dude :thumright:
Thanks man :thumleft: I'm trying to do everything in order as it happened :lol:
GreySilver Beast wrote:Looking good Paul :P and look forward to reading more =D>
Cheers Nigel, it is like a diary in my head :lol:
Paul

tyler82
Former Member
Former Member

Post by tyler82 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:08 am

How could you :censored: die on me you :censored:!!!!!!!!

I'm stranded. Who do I call? What do I do? I call my best mate who has just woken up after doing a night shift of course :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: The poor chap! He came straight out to me even though we both wouldn't have a clue how to start/fix the car! While he was driving up the motorway to meet me, I decide to give Ian a call. He's been to Rotary Revs and posted a thread about it. The praise is deserved. Ian answers and I ask him some more about Ben and the work he does. It all checks out. I call Ben. The symptoms seem like dying coils but that can't be the reason as I have the BHR ignition kit. It must be the bearings I tell myself. I book it in, give me a platinum rebuild please! :lol: I know about the half bridges that are around now. Better than a street port (power wise), but still suitable for normal road use. I tell Ben I want this too. He came across as a really genuine person and was sympathetic to my cause. It's the little things eh?

Back to the task at hand, I call a recovery service truck. I am dreading the cost of getting the 8 back home. I'm around 40 miles away. It works out at 75 euro (around 45 GBP). Happy with that! While sitting in the recovery truck on the way home, my mind is racing with questions. How will I get it to England? How much will it cost? I mention it to the recovery guy and as luck would have it, they regularly do trips over to Leeds! As you know Batley is near Leeds! He drops me his card and says to call when I want to get it sent over. I leave the 8 at my friend's house and process what a :censored: day it has been!
3e012318-d3a6-499d-be9d-d3ae893cd598_zpsqglfnpsa.JPG
3e012318-d3a6-499d-be9d-d3ae893cd598_zpsqglfnpsa.JPG (83.01 KiB) Viewed 721 times
Last edited by tyler82 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul

MadTaz
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by MadTaz » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:48 am

Some quality mods there mate, I like to see someone actually investing properly in the 8 :thumright:

Sorry to hear about your engine going, but on the plus side RR will look after you and a platinum rebuild will get you going better than ever!

I know Ben offers remapping too, so look forward to seeing what you get!

As for GroupB #-o they have really gone down in my estimation, I really do not rate them anymore. Just not rotary friendly.
Last edited by MadTaz on Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

tyler82
Former Member
Former Member

Post by tyler82 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:25 am

Thanks MadTaz :D

The RX8 car is a great car, but you need a lot of money to maintain it. Really annoys me when people try to fix problems on the cheap. If you don't want to spend money on your car, sell your 8 and buy a family hatchback!

Yeah I'm in great hands at RR. Car is actually rebuilt now, just waiting for it to return from the body shop.

I can't wait for the remap either!!! :twisted: :twisted:

Group B were poor, but you live and learn.
Paul

tyler82
Former Member
Former Member

Post by tyler82 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:28 am

Here is a before and after pic, showing the stock exhaust and the Group B one. Notice how small the stock tips look!

Before
14_zps6b66972a.JPG
14_zps6b66972a.JPG (165.58 KiB) Viewed 721 times
After
6_zpsb78dc816.JPG
6_zpsb78dc816.JPG (125.16 KiB) Viewed 721 times
Last edited by tyler82 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul

tyler82
Former Member
Former Member

Post by tyler82 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:57 am

Just to add, I had corrosion on my sump, so bought the Greddy sump, as it won't rust. Great peace of mind!

I had scheduled the car to be over at Rotary Revs by February. I rang the recovery company and they told me they were doing a delivery over to Leeds in the middle of Jan and they could bring my car over for a discounted fee of 500 euro (300 GBP)! Great value! If I did it at any other time, the fee would be 750 euro. Obviously I wanted to send the car over at the discounted price, but that meant shipping it over to Ben a month earlier than planned. I wasn't sure if he would be able to do it, as I know he is really busy with loads of cars outside RR! I needn't have worried though, a quick phone call to Ben and he said he'd take the car earlier than planned, no problem. That saved me 250 euro. :thumleft: :thumleft:

With the car at RR and out of action for a while, I began to research into what else I could do to improve the car. I went a little crazy here!! :shock:

Initially I had planned this:

RR Platinum Rebuild
Lightened rotors
Engine painted red and black
Half bridge
DW200 fuel pump
BHR underdrive belts
BHR lightweight Pulleys
BHR engine mounts
Racing Beat gauges
Racing Beat duct
Refurbish the brakes
New oil cooler lines
Give the calipers another lick of red paint. Also paint the disc guards hammerite black
LED lights all round
4 new wheel bearings
New gaskets for the rear headlights (condensation)
RR master reset service
Full rust treatment
Air con service
2 remote fob keys (like the R3)
All scuffs and dents in the body work repaired

So quite a list! As the weeks went by, I added to the list all the time! I'm sure Ben got sick of me, but he never showed it!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Then the list became bigger and I added these things:

Koyo radiator and silicone hoses
New alternator
Aero kit (full)
Racing Beat anti roll bars and drop links
Front and rear suspension urethane bush kits
Mishitmoto catch can
Lubricate universal steering joint
New car mats
4 wheel alignment
Do an MOT test on it
BHR long tube header (excited about this one)

Pretty comprehensive then! I told Ben to look at the car from top to bottom, look at everything and tell me any problem, no matter how small. While working on the car, Ben informed me that one of the rear shocks was leaking. Strangely enough, it didn't bother me! I was actually happy I could spend more money improving the car :lol: :lol: So I decided on coilovers and again I didn't skimp! Here are the Ohlins.
1_zpscgnufr4l.JPG
1_zpscgnufr4l.JPG (180 KiB) Viewed 721 times
3_zpska7pmpna.JPG
3_zpska7pmpna.JPG (40.27 KiB) Viewed 721 times
55_zpsbzm9jpsg.JPG
55_zpsbzm9jpsg.JPG (60.25 KiB) Viewed 721 times
Last edited by tyler82 on Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul

kopite72
Club Member
Club Member

Post by kopite72 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:31 pm

Fantastic mod list Paul,I really can't wait to see her now,good things come to those who wait my friend :wink:

tyler82
Former Member
Former Member

Post by tyler82 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:10 pm

Thanks Ian! I sure she will be epic :D

Another mod I forgot to mention - I got the Lockwood grilles, front and back, in black. Freshened things up a bit.

Got a letter in the post from the Revenue about my BHR long tube header. Need to complete an SAD (Single Administrative Document) and get it sent to them withing 14 days. Also will need to pay a customs clearance agency for their help in completing this document #-o Not to mention, the customs duty I will have to pay.....

Back to the rebuild, Ben would send me pics of the engine and how the car was progressing, from time to time. He has some of the pics up on the RR facebook page, but I'll post them here. These are the ones from back in March, when the engine was stripped down.
DSCF0326_zpsjp01wmcf.JPG
DSCF0326_zpsjp01wmcf.JPG (281.32 KiB) Viewed 671 times
DSCF0325_zpsnr7ttcd5.JPG
DSCF0325_zpsnr7ttcd5.JPG (272.51 KiB) Viewed 671 times
DSCF0324_zpscpwch5dm.JPG
DSCF0324_zpscpwch5dm.JPG (269.09 KiB) Viewed 671 times
DSCF0323_zpsubhrnb0i.JPG
DSCF0323_zpsubhrnb0i.JPG (279.24 KiB) Viewed 671 times
DSCF0321_zpstg3d02ql.JPG
DSCF0321_zpstg3d02ql.JPG (228.79 KiB) Viewed 671 times
DSCF0318_zpsctpwldvk.JPG
DSCF0318_zpsctpwldvk.JPG (553.5 KiB) Viewed 671 times
DSCF0317_zpst6yq7xmb.JPG
DSCF0317_zpst6yq7xmb.JPG (475.88 KiB) Viewed 671 times
DSCF0316_zpsehm5khgs.JPG
DSCF0316_zpsehm5khgs.JPG (281.46 KiB) Viewed 671 times
DSCF0314_zpsaswl2yru.JPG
DSCF0314_zpsaswl2yru.JPG (508.51 KiB) Viewed 671 times
Last edited by tyler82 on Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul

tyler82
Former Member
Former Member

Post by tyler82 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:21 pm

First thing I noticed was how clean everything looked. Ben really does go over everything meticulously. It was great to see and I would spend ages looking over the pics :)

As I mentioned earlier, I wanted lightened rotors. I had posted on this forum about it before. Ben said he could take care of this and knew a company in the UK that could do it. Not sure if anyone else has this (if you do, please let me know!), but it intrigued me. I know it probably won't make much difference in the grand scheme of things, but faster revving is always good! :mrgreen: I noticed the difference the BHR flywheel made (highly recommended), so less weight was always good. So here is a pic of the lightened rotor before it was cleaned up.

IMG_0688_zpsnajpixfe.JPG
IMG_0688_zpsnajpixfe.JPG (196.93 KiB) Viewed 671 times

Now when it has been cleaned.

11947607_879491218805694_2207229748181219600_n.jpg
11947607_879491218805694_2207229748181219600_n.jpg (81.59 KiB) Viewed 671 times
Last edited by tyler82 on Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul

Return to “Personal Car Projects and Mods”