tmk's JDM RX-8 2011/S2, for fun mods

For you to showcase what you've done to your car and give other members ideas and inspiration.
tmk
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Import

tmk's JDM RX-8 2011/S2, for fun mods

Post by tmk »

Project thread for my new 8 that is picking up where the old one left off after I ran that into a wall at Fuji Speedway 2013/10/30 (more on that trusty vehicle in my old project thread here: http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/vi ... 04&t=53480).

At first I was a bit at loss to what car to get, especially seeing that prices on late RX-8s had *increased* in Japan after production ended last year and everyone wanting to own the last rotary car (for now anyway). A lot of beefier stuff could be had for similar money (used M3s, older Caymans, tuned FD3S, etc), but in the end what won me over in the first place (sporty fun ride that fits four people when needed that is tinker able and trackable) got the best of me. Also having hit that pesky wall has cured my desire to get a faster car - at least for now.

I got a friend that runs a GT-R tuning shop so he provided me with access to the various dealer auctions through out Japan so I could get something below the going price (the mark up on 8s seemed to be 20-30%). After almost getting a couple of black S2 8s of which one totally tanked the compression test I got worried about getting a lemon, threw economic sense (if I had any) out the window, and went for a pearl white 2011/6 that had been show room car at a Mazda dealer in Hiroshima. It had only 9k km on the odo, had been pampered with at Mazda and you could lick the engine bay if you wanted, it was that shiny.

I’ve just received it so it’s pretty much all stock. Being a show room car all the option check boxes seem to have been ticked off, but the audio is a mystery. My previous 8 (2009) came with the optional satnav + Bose 9 speaker audio so not sure how the stock one is supposed to be, but I don’t think this is it as it came with a Clarion satnav and Pioneer Carozzeria audio all around which frankly sounds much better than my old Bose so a bit confused. I guess I won’t be moving the Bose over as originally planned - unless someone here with more audio knowledge chime in and tell me I should..? Also unlike my previous 8’s rear camera, this one’s can actually be used to align the car when parking!

The car had to get shipped to Tokyo and then there is all that pesky Japanese paperwork (proof of parking lot, police has to inspect the spot, etc) so finally got the car late Saturday. Then got the brake fluid and pads changed to something more trackable (IDI GT2 as previous car) and harness installed. Then went out to Fuji Speedway Sunday morning for a shake down. The car is positively stiffer than my old. Maybe the 80k km I had accumulated on the old one wore it down more than I had noticed. The suspension was also a lot firmer than I remember my old ones to be, but I might remember wrong as I’ve been through a couple of coil overs on it since then.

The car has gone back to the shop to get the first batch of mods so I’ll post progress here. Some parts are delayed so we’ll see how that goes. The plan is to bring it to the same level as my old one ASAP and then go on a cup noodle diet as I’m broke.

Things done before car went in for tinkering:
RX-8 (2011/PearlWhite) RE Amemiya Redom AType2.0 ECU+Super Intake Box+SportsCat,RMagic TunedMuffler TitanCut,5.125 Final,Tein MonoSport w/EDFC,WedsSport SA55mMGM 18x9.0J,Neova AD08R 245/40/R18,Dixcel SD+IDI GT2 brakes,AutoExe MemberBraceSet, Bride GIAS Carbon,HPI 4pt,MOMO,TRUST InfoTouch+LEG83005,YupiteruGWR53sd,Carrozzeria http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/vi ... 04&t=55428
Conan
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Brilliant Black

Re: tmk's JDM RX-8 2011/S2, for fun mods

Post by Conan »

Hi tmk,
Nice to see you back.
The milage of a car makes a big difference in the handling, your new car will be tighter all round as standard before adding the aftermarket bits.
It,s easier for people to lose control of a higher milage car as the weight transfer can swing to quickly for them and they over react when trying to catch it. I tend to induce the weight transfer early and keep the force on through the corner whilst allowing drift rather than ultimate grip from the tyres to avoid sudden force changes. My first 8 had 90,000 + miles, the one I have now is 24,000. My passengers much preffer this one.
If cash is a little tight do your cosmetic mods first, the standard 8 can be deceptively fast and people become better drivers by adding upgrades progressively. A little race tuition would be worth it,s weight in gold, F1 tracks are so wide and fast there,s a knack to keeping the forces stable.
Good Luck
Rergards
Pete
Events Coordinator. 2014 to 2017

I’m an expert in nothing....I have made mistakes in everything
Bulldog
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by Bulldog »

Good stuff :)
It is by going down into the abyss that we recover the treasures of life. Where you stumble, there lies your treasure.

More info in my project thread

Worry about your character, not your reputation. Your character is who you are, and your reputation is who people think you are.
Harrizone
Founder Member
Founder Member
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by Harrizone »

Keep the updates coming Tom. Glad to see you are back in the saddle. =D>
Now a distant memory unfortunately.
Shagrington
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 192
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by Shagrington »

:whathesaid: exactly what I was going to say. :nod: (maybe not word for word, but definitely the sentiment).
'Grington.
former Club Treasurer 2010-18 (now finally retired) \:D/
Silver 192 green interior LEDS, Nordic Green hoop spoiler, roof inserts and wheels Silver Stripes (now finally retired) :cry:
tmk
Former Member
Former Member

Post by tmk »

Thanks a lot guys for the kind words and encouragement! :)

This arrived first, so starting off with that..
  • * R Magic Tuned Silencer (Muffler) Titan Sliced Cut - done (2013/12/21)
    http://www.rmagic.net/parts/muffler/se3p.php Surprisingly civilised at low revs, but past 6,000rpm things go completely bonkers with a nice racy roar. In terms of performance the car feel more responsive at higher revs. Power: +9.4hp, Torque: +0.7kg/m
RX-8 (2011/PearlWhite) RE Amemiya Redom AType2.0 ECU+Super Intake Box+SportsCat,RMagic TunedMuffler TitanCut,5.125 Final,Tein MonoSport w/EDFC,WedsSport SA55mMGM 18x9.0J,Neova AD08R 245/40/R18,Dixcel SD+IDI GT2 brakes,AutoExe MemberBraceSet, Bride GIAS Carbon,HPI 4pt,MOMO,TRUST InfoTouch+LEG83005,YupiteruGWR53sd,Carrozzeria http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/vi ... 04&t=55428
tmk
Former Member
Former Member

Post by tmk »

Getting the car put together has been taking more time than participated due to the Christmas and New Year holidays. Especially parts haven't been arriving in time nor in the right order so things are going in in a seemingly random order. So far only the RMagic muffler is installed and new coil overs. TEIN doesn't make MONOFLEX (which I had before) for the 8 anymore and as they wouldn't tell us when the MONOFLEX replacement will be out (wouldn't surprise me if they announce something at TAS this weekend though) we opted for a different setup this time. My GT-R shop friend has a collaboration with HKS where they make custom coil overs for GT-Rs with his specs, and it seemed like a fun thing to try out, so in similar fashion he got HKS to make some custom ones for the 8. I think these are based on the HKS Hipermax IV GT (http://www.hks-power.co.jp/en/product/s ... index.html).

As you can see the car has been lowered a bit (same as my previous one). I've been asked to put 100km on them before we put the new wheels and tyres on it and do the alignment, so I have these old stock 18" on it in the meantime to avoid wearing the new tyres in an odd fashion.

The obvious down side to this is that I have no idea how to fit, if at all possible, the EDFC Active I have from my old 8, but I'll worry about that later.
RX8R3Rod
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Custom
Has thanked: 0

Post by RX8R3Rod »

Looking great, and it'll be really interesting to hear how you get on with the new coilovers =D>
Aluminium R3 Nov 2010
Tein Monosport EDFC Active coilovers, K-Sport BBK 8-pot forge 356mm front, 4-pot BBK 330 mm rear, 20" ATS Racelight, Michelin PS 4 245/30/20, Pettit exhaust, Pettit front and RB rear ARB's, Cusco strut and brake brace, Full Paintshieldx2, Rustmasterx2, and Rustbusterx2, M'Z Custom nose and rear skirts
190 Winning Blue 05-08, R3 Aurora Blue 08-10 ... fabulous friends
tmk
Former Member
Former Member

Post by tmk »

conann wrote:The milage of a car makes a big difference in the handling, your new car will be tighter all round as standard before adding the aftermarket bits.
It,s easier for people to lose control of a higher milage car as the weight transfer can swing to quickly for them and they over react when trying to catch it.
That make sense, I just never noticed it as the old one gradually got that way. Now that I changed it's very noticeable. Another noticeable difference is the LSD. I guess the old one had slowly gotten worn out or something as the new one is clearly more effective (and it makes loud noises).
tmk
Former Member
Former Member

Post by tmk »

Some progress. Got the new suspension adjusted, new tyres and wheels (managed to use two of my old 8’s wheels and they seem to go well with pearl white too), and the RE Amemiya Super Intake and Sports Catalyser (both from the old car) fitted. The car more or less looks as I intended now, so the basics on that part are done, and apart from the computer the basics overall are in for what I’ve been thinking about as "phase 1”.
Current status: All seemed good... but after testing this out I’m getting some strange resonance and vibrations at 3-4,000 rpm. Not always, but seems to happen sometimes when I shift down into that rev range at speed. Additionally the check-engine light came on which the Informeter reported as P0420 “Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold Bank1”. Guess we’re not quite done yet. :( More worried about debugging the sound than the check-engine light. :-/
ruxpin
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by ruxpin »

Love your work!
Keep us updated :thumleft:
Dan507
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Winning Blue
Been thanked: 0

Post by Dan507 »

As above! When are you going to the track next?
Mazdaspeed body kit, 18" Enkei RPF1's, Advan Neova's, MeisterR's 12k front 10k rear, Racing Roots single exit, Race Brake lines, Hawk HP+, Recaro SPG's, Luke 4 points, BHR Flywheel, ACT 6 puck clutch, BHR Coils, Racing beat Header, Toyo Decat, Nardi Steering wheel, Kaaz 1.5 Way LSD, Depo Gauges, RE:Worx Rebuild @42k, MSA/FIA Spec Roll cage, APR GTC-200 Spoiler, Custom Front Splitter
tmk
Former Member
Former Member

Post by tmk »

Thanks guys!

Dan507, probably when the basics (incl. computer) are done and confirmed working. I'm paying for license so have to use it or it's a waste. Still a bit worried about crashing this one too though. :/
GreySilver Beast
Former Member
Former Member

Post by GreySilver Beast »

Nice looking car Tom & nice to see you back with a 8 =D> =D> =D> =D>
GreySilver Beast-Test Drives Unlimited (Nigel)
Club Member from 2006 - present
Events Team from 2015 - 2024
Events Coordinator from 2017 - 2023
Administrator from 2012 - present RX-8 Owners Club UK
Tesla M3LR AB 363 AWD " Blue Beast "
tmk
Former Member
Former Member

Post by tmk »

Thanks Nigel! 86 sure was tempting!
tmk
Former Member
Former Member

Post by tmk »

Gah.. Was hoping for a faulty sensor, but according to the dealer the intake sucks in too much air and the still-stock ECU under/over fuel the engine which causes the catalyser sensor to report issues. Possible also the resonance. Anyhow, I always expected changing the ECU to void warranty for the engine, but apparently it voids warranty for *everything*! We just went through a lot of trouble to get it registered as a new car and get 5 years warranty. :( Is it possible to flash the stock back or swap physical computers if needed? Anyhow, I'm booked in at RE Amemiya on Sunday so I'll see what they have to say. :-/
ruxpin
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by ruxpin »

tmk wrote: I'm booked in at RE Amemiya on Sunday
I think it's safe to assume that the majority of the owners on here would love to see lots and lots of photos...
(Not that I haven't drooled over loads on t'interwebs anyways)

So ermm, yeh.
Photos please! :lol:
tmk
Former Member
Former Member

Post by tmk »

I'll see what I can do :)
tmk
Former Member
Former Member

Post by tmk »

Went to RE Amemiya (RE雨宮) in Chiba this weekend to sort out various. It was sort of quiet there this weekend with only part of the garage opened so the pictures are a bit dull, but they give you an idea of how it looks there. I can upload some pictures from earlier visits with more crazy cars if anyone wants later.
I had their Redom ECU on my old 8 and I think it's one of the best mods cost/performance wise so I wanted that on my new 8 as well. I was worried about warranty though as I got full 5 years warranty this time around and Mazda said flashing the ECU would void *all* all of it. However, RE Amemiya said their Redom is impossible to detect, even if the dealer should plug in to check the ECU. Brilliant. :) Hearing that I had wrecked my old car they were also *really nice* and instead of charging me their regular price for the Redom ECU (¥102,900), they only charged me the reflash charge (what you pay in case you overwrite their ROM and need it written back in, about ¥3,000) even if they had to make a brand new tune for this car (driving about with a notebook hooked up tweaking things). Thanks a ton to RE Amemiya!

They also looked at the current issues I have:
  • * Vibrating resonance sound when accelerating at around 3-4k RPM. They refitted the Super Intake Box and that seem to have solved most of the issue. Sometimes I still feel there is something when accelerating at very low RPMs, but it's not really so much of an issue anymore as it's something in the back of my head.
    * Check-engine-lamp. Apparently later model 8s (this is a 2011/6) are more anal when it comes to the cat sensor (I tried switching sensor earlier and that didn't help either) and can throw errors with their Sports Cat. It has been reported by others so they're working on a solution so I was asked to contact them in a couple of months if it's still a problem (it is, it lit back on when I got on the high way). It doesn't cause any harm except of the annoyance of the light being there.. on the dash.. always staring at me.
So with some caveats I think this more or less completes the bare basics I wanted to do as a "phase 1" (apart from some cosmetics like hiding cables and getting my number plate (got temporary number till mine gets available)). It's close enough to my old 8 now that it doesn't make me bummed + the niceties of being a newer car and better tyres make up for the bits missing (it feels sharper in some ways even if I haven't added the bits that are supposed to make it so).

Current status:
  • * RE Amemiya Redom ECU Type-A 2.0 (reflash and tuning) - done (2014/01/19)
    http://www.re-amemiya.co.jp/rx_8/ Better throttle response, +10hp~, pesky Japanese speed limiter removed, cooling fan adjustments, etc.
    * RE Amemiya Super Intake Box Set (F.R.P.) - done (2014/01/11)
    http://www.re-amemiya.co.jp/commodity/? ... a&scd=8933 Car feels more rev happy and seems to breath better at high revs. Power: +7hp. Very loud (as they warned me), it's like driving a small dog; barks a lot, but without the bite to back it up.
    * RE Amemiya Sports Catalyzer - done (2014/01/11)
    http://www.re-amemiya.co.jp/commodity/? ... a&scd=8892 Harsher and meatier sound than before. Supposed to be less likely to melt. Car seems more responsive at higher revs.
    * R Magic Tuned Silencer (Muffler) Titan Sliced Cut - done (2013/12/21)
    http://www.rmagic.net/parts/muffler/se3p.php Surprisingly civilised at low revs, but past 6,000rpm things go completely bonkers with a nice racy roar. In terms of performance the car feel more responsive at higher revs. Power: +9.4hp, Torque: +0.7kg/m
    * HKS Hipermax MAX4 GT based coil-overs - done (2013/12/29)
    http://www.idijp.com/gt-spec_brakepads.html HKS custom made these on Nakane Racing Design’s specs. Height: 597mm (rear), 590mm (front).
    * Weds Sport SA55m MGM (Matte Gray Machining) 18x9.0J Face: FR +30 wheels - done (2014/01/11)
    http://www.wedssport.jp/products/english/sa55m.html At 8.86kg they were the lightest I could find that didn't cost an arm and a leg (still want TE37SL though).
    * Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R (245/40/R18) tyres - done (2014/01/11)
    http://yokohamatire.jp/yrc/japan/tire/b ... ad08r.html Scared of trying odd tyres after spinning into a wall with NT05s on my old 8 so going the safe route in terms of tyre choice this time regardless of price. Grip grip grip grip.
    * IDI GT2 based brake pads - done (2013/12/14)
    http://www.idijp.com/gt-spec_brakepads.html IDI custom made some for me based on their GT2 series. They stop great and take a lot of abuse. Forgot what brake fluids I got, but they're for track use. Callipers and rotors are still stock.
    * HPI 4-Point Seat Belt Harness (3 inches, red) - done (2013/12/14)
    http://www.rhdjapan.com/hpi-4-point-sea ... ness-67744
    * TRUST GReddy Intelligent Informeter Touch - done (2013/12/14)
    http://www.trust-power.com/overseas/ov_ ... 4&item=194
    * Yupiteru Supercat GWR53sd (police radar/camera detector) - done (2014/01/19)
    http://www.yupiteru.co.jp/products/rada ... index.html
    * Find My Car Smart - done (2014/01/19)
    As I'm the sort of guy who forgets where he parked his car.
    * Some Clarion NX sat nav, Mitsubishi ETC, and Pioneer Carrozzeria audio thing and other bits and pieces I can’t recall.
GreySilver Beast
Former Member
Former Member

Post by GreySilver Beast »

Impressive place Tom =D>
GreySilver Beast-Test Drives Unlimited (Nigel)
Club Member from 2006 - present
Events Team from 2015 - 2024
Events Coordinator from 2017 - 2023
Administrator from 2012 - present RX-8 Owners Club UK
Tesla M3LR AB 363 AWD " Blue Beast "
RX8R3Rod
Former Member
Former Member

Post by RX8R3Rod »

Great progress, your car is in with some fab company.

I do like the TVR-style RX7 :D those scoops are truly frightening.
Aluminium R3 Nov 2010
Tein Monosport EDFC Active coilovers, K-Sport BBK 8-pot forge 356mm front, 4-pot BBK 330 mm rear, 20" ATS Racelight, Michelin PS 4 245/30/20, Pettit exhaust, Pettit front and RB rear ARB's, Cusco strut and brake brace, Full Paintshieldx2, Rustmasterx2, and Rustbusterx2, M'Z Custom nose and rear skirts
robwrx282
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Metropolitan Grey

Post by robwrx282 »

Fantastic photo's, (I am so jealous and really, really want an RX7) thanks for sharing.
No.106 of 400, Lockwood Grills, Wonky No. Plate, Toyosport DeCat Exhaust, Black Halo Racing Coils, Leads and Plugs fitted @22k, 20mm Eibach Spacers.
Matt8
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by Matt8 »

:^o Re looks very similar to my local Halfords (even the weather is just as good)
tmk
Former Member
Former Member

Post by tmk »

RX8R3Rod wrote:I do like the TVR-style RX7 :D those scoops are truly frightening.
Do you mean the "Super NA-7" ? It's beautiful! I first saw it at Tokyo Auto Salon 2012 (strange, it's only two years ago that rotaries were still at force at TAS) where it won car of the show. It was also tracking at Mazda Tuning Festa 2013 (http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/vi ... 01&t=52806)

Googled up some more pics of it:
- http://www.speedhunters.com/2012/01/gal ... _rotaries/
- http://re-xtreme.blogspot.jp/2012/01/to ... -na-7.html
- http://thenaritadogfight.com/2012/01/17 ... a-super-7/

It's also featured on a Rotary Engine DVD I can't seem to recall the name of right now (it's at home and I'm in the office). Taniguchi (famous race driver) drives various tuned 7s, including this one, up and down a touge.
RX8R3Rod
Former Member
Former Member

Post by RX8R3Rod »

That's the one. How many beemers and Audi's and (insert your non-favourite fast-lane hog car here) wouldn't move out the way when that came up behind them on the motor/high/freeway?

The M'Z Custom nose on the '8 is already surprisingly successful in that respect, but the Super NA7 is in another league altogether. :D Weapons grade ...
Aluminium R3 Nov 2010

Return to “Personal Car Projects and Mods”