Bulldog's Hi Yo Silver Development Project

For you to showcase what you've done to your car and give other members ideas and inspiration.
Bulldog
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Re: Bulldog's Hi Yo Silver Development Project

Post by Bulldog » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:35 am

Well after being sat up at Rotary Revs waiting for panel craft for 3 months and absolutely nothing happening my cars back at home. I wouldn't recommend sending your car up there for paint as youll likely be waiting and waiting and waiting some more for nothing to happen.

The new engines running lean when it gets really warm so I have spoken to Pip over at WGT and I am going with a new fuel pump and then a remap to finally get the AEM working properly.

I have got some of the 'new' formula Fuchs gearbox oil, hope the box is going to survive.

I am back at Mallory tomorrow supporting the circuit and hoping its dry :)
These users thanked the author Bulldog for the post:
LaurenRX8 (Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:59 pm)
It is by going down into the abyss that we recover the treasures of life. Where you stumble, there lies your treasure.

More info in my project thread

Worry about your character, not your reputation. Your character is who you are, and your reputation is who people think you are.

casey
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by casey » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:41 pm

Bulldog wrote:I have got some of the 'new' formula Fuchs gearbox oil, hope the box is going to survive.
Fuchs asked me to test (FOC) a "new formula" oil for the gearbox about a year or so back ago, prior to it's release onto the market. It wasn't any good, the crunch 3-4th appeared on the first trackday it was used. Immediately changed back to MT-90 and the problem disappeared.

Of course, this may be a different formulation, but is it worth the risk?
Club Secretary
Essex Rotary Full Bridgeport

Seibon Carbon Fibre Bonnet
"Racing Brake" front calipers, Racing Beat (RB) ARB's F&R, RB REVI intake, full RB Stainless Steel Exhaust & Mani, 20mm Eibach spacers, KOYO Ali Rad, Lightened Fly, Tein MonoFlex coilovers & strut brace, Axial short-shifter, BHR Coils & Engine Mounts, Greddy Sump
Federal 595RS-R or Rainsport 3

Bulldog
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Bulldog » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:42 pm

Yeah I know they haven't exactly got a glowing rx8 record but we will see if they have cracked it or failed again
LaurenRX8 (Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:59 pm)
It is by going down into the abyss that we recover the treasures of life. Where you stumble, there lies your treasure.

Worry about your character, not your reputation. Your character is who you are, and your reputation is who people think you are.

Bulldog
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Bulldog » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:59 pm

Back at the track. Took the wife who was a lot better as a passenger than I could have reasonably hoped for :)

Booked a 'garage' in case it rained got garage no.2 right at the entrance. Amazingly only 25 drivers for a Saturday. They had 60+ on Wednesday.

These 8 pots really inspire confidence. The smoothness of the braking and the lack of fade make them awesome. So happy with my brakes.

Went on the 350Z rays wheels with Fedrals. The damp early morning sessions I was absolutely the fastest thing out there. Some wiggle in places but the novices were pootling and the track cars mainly on 888s were all over the place.

No oil related drama just went with 1/2 full and when it went down to 1/4 filled it back to 1/2.

I did however have my longest list of Engine management codes mainly just exhaust codes. I fear I may have blown all of my catalyst material out the back box.

It started to dry out in the afternoon. However this is by far the most dangerous condition in my opinion. The racing line drys first and you start buzzing around much faster however the 'off' line is still damp and you may as well be on ice. Some people started to spins, some recoveries under red quickly followed. Then the major incidents started.

Caterham with a bike engine went straight into the barrier. Car was wrecked.

I continued to pick up more and more speed. Especially around Gerrads. In the damp 70mph was fast. In the dry 85 felt slow. So I was pushing the car into the 90s with 100+ exit speeds.

I moved over to let a race prepared BMW which was going like a bat out of hell past.

He touched the grass on the exit barrelled over the track into the barrier hit it hard rolled over the barrier and then carried on rolling.

The weather continued to improve.

I had lowered the cold tyre pressure to 24/26psi so once I warmed the tyres they were running bang on 32psi all round. The grip was awesome. I decided to see what would happen if I entered Gerrards at 100mph. What happened was the car gripped and gripped tiny bit of scubbing meant I lost a bit of speed but I exited at 110 mph and hit 120 before the end of the back straight. Making up so much ground on a well driven E90 M3 he came up to see my turbo in the pits.

Tyres got rather warm on that session you could really smell the rubber. It was about 4:15 and I decided any faster would probably end with me in a barrier so retreated to the relative safety of the M6 :)

Great day at a great circuit
LaurenRX8 (Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:00 am)

kopite72
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Diamond Grey

Post by kopite72 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:32 pm

Good stuff Mike,Jesus that car is in bits!! Btw I've seen your brakes in the flesh last year when I was over in RR,the things are beasts!!
R3 GONE, FUN WHILE I HAD HER BUT NOW LOVING MY 25TH ANNIVERSARY MX5.... MODS INBOUND 8)

GreySilver Beast
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Custom

Bulldog's Hi Yo Silver Development Project

Post by GreySilver Beast » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:37 pm

Looks like you had a great time today Mike and your car survived for once in one piece =D>

Hope to see you at Donington GP Circuit next month :thumleft:
GSB-TDU - Committee - Events Coordinator & Events Team Admin
RX-8OC Club Calendar
NPT Website
GSB III 03/08/13 - Present
New ****** on 1st September 2021

Conan
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Conan » Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:48 pm

Good write up
See you at Donington
Events Coordinator. 2014 to 2017

I’m an expert in nothing....I have made mistakes in everything

tractorboy
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by tractorboy » Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:53 pm

That BMW was a mess! Worst trackday accident I've seen I think. I guess the driver was well protected with it being race-prep'd?

Glad your Wife was a good passenger; my Wife wanted to bail out half way round the first sighting lap!

How was the Fuchs gearbox oil?

Bob
Sold in 2017: Velocity Red RX-8 231 '04, Acquired Nov 2009, 1st RX-8

Bulldog
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Bulldog » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:13 pm

The drivers were both ok. The marshals and ambulance were at the crash sites fast. The roll cage in the Beamer saved the driver from serious injury.

The gearbox oil was intresting. There's a real test at Mallory as you come turning out of the elbow onto the straight your at max revs in 3rd and need to quickly take 4th for the straight.

The oil was ok. I did this with millers nano in July and it was better. The change felt a little stiff but there wasn't any major crunching. I will feedback to them on my views.

AdamGaltress
Events Team Member
Events Team Member
RX-8: Evolve
Colour: Copper Red

Post by AdamGaltress » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:44 pm

Looks like you had a great day Mike, I'm itching to get back to Mallory Park, seeing this just makes me want to go even more!
AdamGaltress
Events Team & Comms Team

JDM RX-7 FD - Project Thread
Bridgeport Copper Red MazdaSpeed Evolve - Project Thread
- Parted out

ChrisHolmes
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by ChrisHolmes » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:45 pm

It must have been scary seeing the BMW destroy itself in front of you. Sounds like the Federals are amazing tyres. Thinking about a set as a Christmas present for myself.
AB Bucket seats and 5 point harnesses
Street Ported 231
Light weight Flywheel
Tein MonoSports with EDFC Active
Racing Beat F&R ARBs
Racing Brake 4 Pot Front Calipers
Racing Brake two piece slotted & drilled discs
LED Rear Lights
LED 3rd Brake light with blink effect
MazdaSpeed skirts
Safety Devices Full cage
Royal Steering wheel
Mishimoto Catch Tank

Bulldog
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Bulldog » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:40 pm

Federals are a compromise. Decent in the wet / damp and great in the dry although not as good as the 888s in the dry they are literally like glue.

Donnington next then if still in one piece Oulton park :)

Bulldog
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Bulldog » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:21 pm

Donington Park GP

Pete managed to negotiate a great price on the full GP circuit with Circuit days.

I turned up with the fedrals on the car. The morning was thankfully dry.

My first session was diabolical. Adrenaline and not knowing the circuit was not the best mix. Did 10 laps. The GP part adds around 40 seconds to the lap time.

Came in after I lined one corner up n the wrong side of the track :)

Next session was a lot better. Started to get into a bit of a rhythm. Then Dave went out in my car for a few fast laps.

Went back out and did the my final dry laps which were good. Still not using the whole of the track tho.

Then I went out with Big John who was much faster using every curb.

At first we were rapid then it got wetter and wetter to the point we had running water. Big John took a little unscheduled running into the gravel but great control and awareness to stay on the power and come back out unscathed.

At this point there was a red flag and we went off for lunch.

More raining followed. I wanted to use my Vreds but unfortunately one of them had an egg on the inside wall so I stuck with the fedrals.

We went out for some much more 'controlled' twitchy driving. Scared Dave with some late braking in the wet - BBK to the rescue.

Very good track day and the GP circuit is challenging and fun.

Bulldog
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Bulldog » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:03 pm

"Shane Shane Shane!"

Had a 15 minute fuel pump change courtesy of Super Shane to the Walbro.

After eating in TGI Fridays Batley on a Thursday I have given the car a comprehensive 3 day hammering. Warm engine to 9500rpm, Switch off and restart no more lean codes even in the cold weather.

Thanks to Pip for the top tip. I will be traveling down to Middlewich to see if he can iron out the last little issue with the AEM at the top end.

Big John popped me a couple of new vreds onto my fav wheels and my confidence in the wet has soared. Awesome combo. Heavy wind and rain on Friday night and the car was so stable.

Bulldog
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Bulldog » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:45 pm

Took the car on a little trip around the shortened (island) version of Oulton park. It was so so wet as to make any meaningful driving tough going. Had the vreds on which was good.

The cars got a busy 2016 schedule including a long awaited trip to Spa in April.

LaurenRX8
Former Member
Former Member

Post by LaurenRX8 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:19 pm

Having driven this car I know how good it is around a track! It will always have a special place in my heart.
If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude.

Big John rev
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by Big John rev » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:40 pm

Till you drive mine lol x
mods so far

Toyo manifold , Decat, sports cat back, complete aero kit, white powder coated wheels, rx8 side strips, full leather trim
rotary rev's D585 coils tein coilovers toyo R888 tyres

works (part time)at Rotary Revs http://www.rotaryrevs.com

LaurenRX8
Former Member
Former Member

Post by LaurenRX8 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:05 pm

I'd rather you drive it, you are the best driver in the club after all.
If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude.

Dave-B
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Supercharged
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by Dave-B » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:02 pm

:-k [-X
RR Ported, groupB remap, Sparco seats, Toyo manifold & RB catback, de-cat, CC lightened fly & stage 2 clutch, RB f&r ARB's, Cusco zero coilovers, Cusco strut brace f&r, Ksport 8 pots, yellow stuff f&r, Koyo rad & Samco hoses, short shifter, RB ram air duct, RR coils, full aero kit, Eibach spacers, Black rims/Vred's & silver rims/R888, dashhawk, RR sump & rad guards

Bulldog
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Bulldog » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:37 pm

To be fair to all concerned I think Big John driving Lauren in my car with Dave-B looming behind would undoubtably be the fastest a RX-8 has ever gone round a track right up till the fatal accident.

Don't worry tho I would fix the car.

ChrisHolmes
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by ChrisHolmes » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:28 pm

Looking forward to this show
Street Ported 231
Light weight Flywheel
Racing Beat F&R ARBs
LED Rear Lights
MazdaSpeed skirts
Safety Devices Full cage
Royal Steering wheel
Mishimoto Catch Tank

Bulldog
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Bulldog » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:44 pm

Cant quite believe its January 10th.

I have a lot in the diary this year but one thing that's clear is my car needs a major overhaul.

I have figured out exactly what I want. And whilst there's little logic to most of it I am going to get on and do it. I just need to figure out who to use to do each job and when to get it booked in.

I am going to need the car for three track days in March and April.

Pre March:

There are a range of remedial things that need some attention:
Seat belt warning faulty
Abs crash sensor faulty
Handbrake light illuminating when driving
The binnacle needs re seating
AEM needs to be mapped
Engine management needs mapping out for exhaust
Oil cooler lines need replacing

Servicing
Brake pads need replacing
Full fluid change

Post April:

Cosmetics
The cars sills need cutting out and replacing
Full MS kit needs fitting
Whole car needs repainting
Wheels need repainting

Replacements / New additions
New upper and lower arms
Oil/water temp gauges in a vent gauge pod
New radiator and Samco Hoses

ChrisHolmes
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by ChrisHolmes » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:31 pm

Thats a few bobs worth of work.
Street Ported 231
Light weight Flywheel
Racing Beat F&R ARBs
LED Rear Lights
MazdaSpeed skirts
Safety Devices Full cage
Royal Steering wheel
Mishimoto Catch Tank

LaurenRX8
Former Member
Former Member

Post by LaurenRX8 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:02 pm

My huge bankers bonus is funding it.

ChrisHolmes
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by ChrisHolmes » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:30 pm

I knew he was your puppy dog!
Street Ported 231
Light weight Flywheel