Flos's new VAG Friend 💙

For you to showcase what you've done to your car and give other members ideas and inspiration.
Cscameron
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: 192
Colour: Custom

Flos's new VAG Friend 💙

Post by Cscameron »

Well here we go. A new project that's a bit out of my JDM comfort zone 🤣

For various reasons I've decided to come out of my company car

So the aim - find a cheap to run, reliable, practical run around

The purchase - 2002 Audi TT 225 Quattro coupe in Mauritius Blue with a full Denim Blue interior 🤣🤣🤣 I mean the pushair fits so it ticks one of the boxes 🤷‍♀️

So for the grand sum of £300 and a quick diagnosis/fix on a transit I took the plunge. Can't go wrong for £300 after all???

Picked the car up on Saturday after much messing around. New battery fitted. Car started. Instantly died. Uh oh 😬 ran fine last weekend when I went to see it. OBD reader in. No faults. Immobiliser light solid. Called the AA. Key issue. Turns out there was no chip in the key. When I went to look at the car the chap explained that one of the keys was lost and the other was smashed into oblivion so he bought a replacement. Hadn't been coded to the car so the remote locking doesn't work but that's an easy enough fix. When I bought the car he gave me the key and what was left of the smashed key. When I went to collect it I just took the replacement key. After much messing around and a 2 hour round trip home to collect the smashed key it turns out the chip wasn't swapped into the new key, but as the chap had just left it in the car it hadn't caused an issue. Chip put in replacement key, car starts without hesitation 🤦‍♀️

So there are a few issues I was aware of. Oil level sensor malfunction, rear brake binding, oil leak, secondary water pump leak, bit of rust, windscreen wiper intermittently working. All simple cheap fixes so no problem with any of them. Car will be getting a full service this month - all fluids, filters and aux belt, then all round brakes (inc calipers)

Went into the workshop today for a health check and they found nothing I wasn't aware of. Happy days!!!

Went to see the lovely Juey after work to sort out the airbag light I caused when fitting his new belts yesterday (FYI if you don't plug things in you get fault codes 🤣) and I get an EML. Great. P1296- cooling system malfunction. Temperature is fine. Cleared the code and drove home. It didn't come back on but is now pending. After checking the coolant tank last week to discover a rather tasty looking brown sludge I'd already ordered a new sensor and a thermostat with the assumption they were likely fouled. When they were under £20 for both I figure it's better safe than sorry

So my little economical not a project car is turning into a bit of a project, although it will be staying fairly stock.........for now

Only thing to decide is what colour she's going 🤔

Photos incoming (now she's had a clean and once mini me decides to go to sleep so I can take a couple 🤣)
These users thanked the author Cscameron for the post (total 2):
brad_wil (Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:46 pm) • HarSc (Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:17 pm)
You can call me Madam Secretary 8)
warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: 231
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Re: Flos's new VAG Friend 💙

Post by warpc0il »

What's interesting is that's the target car that the RX-8 was up against when launched in the UK.

Marketing has names for made-up individuals that represent their primary audience for a product and, though I can't remember what the RX-8 customer was called (might have been "Justin"), he worked in IT and was driving (or about to buy) an Audi TT 225.

Anyway, it's thanks to him, the Audi TT and Mazda UK Marketing, that we all got Sports Suspension, 18" alloys, bigger brakes, and twin oil-coolers.

The Audi TT also came in a lower power version, with much cheaper insurance, hence the 192 manual for the UK.
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
Cscameron (Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:13 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ
Cscameron
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Cscameron »

Here she is in all her very blue glory 🥰

The interior needs taken apart and scrubbed (and the fuse box cover reattached 🤣) but not too shabby for a 22 year old car 😁
Attachments
20240610_205149.jpg
20240610_205120.jpg
thatturborx8
Events Team Member
Events Team Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by thatturborx8 »

Cscameron wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:56 pm
Here she is in all her very blue glory 🥰

The interior needs taken apart and scrubbed (and the fuse box cover reattached 🤣) but not too shabby for a 22 year old car 😁
Mine has a VAG friend too and they get along just fine😊
BTW,enjoy your new purchase,and let me know if you want me to bring my laptop and Autotuner next time when we meet😃
Attachments
20240420_081808.jpg
These users thanked the author thatturborx8 for the post:
Cscameron (Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:23 pm)
Cheesecake :P
Danielle-Loading....
Cscameron
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by Cscameron »

Once all the little niggles are sorted you'll be getting a pm 😘

I haven't pushed her too hard yet (compared to the abuse Flos gets at least 🤣) but even with all the bits that need doing and the uneven mismatched tyres she's a great little car to drive. That dump valve whoooosh is a bit addictive though!
These users thanked the author Cscameron for the post:
thatturborx8 (Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:53 pm)

Return to “Personal Car Projects and Mods”