Project PlankenRex

For you to showcase what you've done to your car and give other members ideas and inspiration.
Lord Plankface
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Brilliant Black

Re: Project PlankenRex

Post by Lord Plankface »

Still going! Currently not used much because life but still makes me smile every time it goes beep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Lord Plankface for the post (total 2):
YORKSHIRE777 (Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:57 am) • casey (Fri May 03, 2024 9:19 pm)
Lord Plankface
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Lord Plankface »

Now I’ve a bit more time and budget, things are starting to move again. Did a very fun day at Abingdon and again the plank performed faultlessly embarrassing much more capable cars (but not drivers - especially because on right handers I’m basically steering from the passenger seat with my head at 90 degrees) even managed to experiment with changing suspension heights and damping (32 way adjustable is a bit pointless for me)

Cruise control install underway, have pre fitted the wiring and acquired a suitable Mazda 6 wheel

New genuine upper suspension arms fitted to cure infuriating ‘donking’ noise. It wasn’t the arms - it was the drop links. It’s always the drop links. They need to be ludicrously tight. Once more - if your front end goes donk - it’s the drop links. So much wasted time faffing around with front end suspension hunting that noise down. It’s now wonderfully rattle and clunk free.

Air con stopped working and I’m too old to not have working air con. I see it as a minimum standard in life after never being able to afford to fix it in younger times. Much money was spent, many parts were replaced (in fact nearly all parts I think now) and once again 19.5c is possible. Just in time for winter. But that’s not the point.

Apple CarPlay is probably on the list soon but not sure there’s an easy answer to that one in a post metra world.

I had been waiting to see if the engine went pop to give me an excuse for a Gucci rebuild but the internets least reliable car has proved to be exactly the opposite. In fact it’s currently performing family car duties whilst the family wagon has a moment of enforced quiet reflection about how it performs on MOT tests.

I’d like to try and solve the headroom issue and the car is now grippy enough to make track work borderline difficult without more lateral support.

Ultimately I’ve allocated budget for one of the turbo systems which I hope will be released soon. My goal is 263 Bhp/ton so interesting times ahead. I know the development of these is subject to much (or at least some) debate elsewhere on the forum and I’m happy to leave those much more knowledge than I to do so - I’m still very much an apprentice to way of the rotary.

I really love this car, it makes me very happy

These users thanked the author Lord Plankface for the post (total 2):
casey (Sat Nov 05, 2022 12:26 pm) • mrspiller (Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:34 pm)
mrspiller
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Copper Red

Post by mrspiller »

Good on you
Good luck with the power upgrade

ChrisHolmes
Club Member
Club Member

Post by ChrisHolmes »

:whathesaid:
Rotary History;

Sep 2005-Aug 2006 EO55 XOL VR 231 New
Oct 2014-Mar 2019 OE06 EWJ VR 231
Jan 2019-Jun 2020 T200 CAD Orange SC 231
Feb 2020-May 2023 RR54 AJR VR 231 Modified for Track
Oct 2020-Mar 2021 YA56 EUE Copper Red Nemesis
Jun 2022-Apr 2023 TN07 JHD KURO Resurrected
Jun 2023-Jan2024 OV09 BFF Sparkling Black
Lord Plankface
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Lord Plankface »

I’m determined to get cruise control working.

All wired in but the pesky electronics won’t work

No connection to vehicle

But with in exactly the same circumstances

Connects via forscan fine

Anyone got any ideas? Connector or user error

I’m so close yet so far!

Lord Plankface
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Lord Plankface »

Cruise control done (bad ELM327 to blame for initial failure).

Can’t test it as car now off the road given recent weather.

Great opportunity to start having a closer look at its cosmetic condition.

Looks pretty good when clean

But it’s not the whole story

Car is nearly 20 yrs old and I’m pretty sure it’s original paint so not surprised.

Comes up quite well

Not perfect but good enough for the time and patience I’ve got for it

Lord Plankface
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Lord Plankface »

Work on the plank continues, turns out my smugness over the hybrid brake switch might have been a bit premature as it didn’t work. Or rather did work, but only with producing error codes for the cruise control. So I gave up and purchased a new four pin one and voila! We have cruise control that actually works, not just the orange arming light.

Installed the secondhand screen to protect the shiny new (ish) air con condenser. Very easy to fit once you’ve taken the whole of the front of the car apart

Turns out the headlight washers don’t work because the pipe is disconnected, sigh.

I also had cause to change the spark plugs, see if you can guess why from the old ones

And finally I had some enjoyable fiddling time with the alignment bolts to ensure they’re all free to move. Only one decided it didn’t want to be a bolt anymore which was a good result. Just the tie rod ends to do which are fused solid and I’ll see about getting the wheels pointing in vaguely the same direction. Turns out wheels in motion has sadly closed so will likely use a local garage for standard (or as close to) alignment whilst trying to find somewhere else well versed in the dark arts of suspension geometry.

I did watch a YouTube video on diy string alignment which was very interesting but it’s clear there’s a lot I don’t understand with adjustable suspension.

Bluetooth head unit next - I refuse to use headphones any longer and I’ve got a Grom thingy that came with the car

Lord Plankface
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Lord Plankface »

Shiny car

rx8hunter
Club Discount Manager
Club Discount Manager
RX-8: PZ

Post by rx8hunter »

Lord Plankface wrote:
Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:42 pm
Work on the plank continues, turns out my smugness over the hybrid brake switch might have been a bit premature as it didn’t work. Or rather did work, but only with producing error codes for the cruise control. So I gave up and purchased a new four pin one and voila! We have cruise control that actually works, not just the orange arming light.

Installed the secondhand screen to protect the shiny new (ish) air con condenser. Very easy to fit once you’ve taken the whole of the front of the car apart

Turns out the headlight washers don’t work because the pipe is disconnected, sigh.

I also had cause to change the spark plugs, see if you can guess why from the old ones

And finally I had some enjoyable fiddling time with the alignment bolts to ensure they’re all free to move. Only one decided it didn’t want to be a bolt anymore which was a good result. Just the tie rod ends to do which are fused solid and I’ll see about getting the wheels pointing in vaguely the same direction. Turns out wheels in motion has sadly closed so will likely use a local garage for standard (or as close to) alignment whilst trying to find somewhere else well versed in the dark arts of suspension geometry.

I did watch a YouTube video on diy string alignment which was very interesting but it’s clear there’s a lot I don’t understand with adjustable suspension.

Bluetooth head unit next - I refuse to use headphones any longer and I’ve got a Grom thingy that came with the car

Missing electrode on a trailing plug? I had this on mine - hardly noticed the misfire though.
RX-8 PZ: viewtopic.php?f=104&t=85661
RX-8 40th: (Charlotte's)
Daily: BMW 330D
RX-8 Evolve (Banger Rally project) gone ☹️: viewtopic.php?f=104&t=86460
Old daily (Alfa MiTo - gone too ☹️): viewtopic.php?f=36&t=85722
Lord Plankface
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Lord Plankface »

Bingo! That’ll teach me to be more careful. Amazing how well the car ran considering…

These users thanked the author Lord Plankface for the post:
rx8hunter (Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:51 pm)
Lord Plankface
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Lord Plankface »

Well it’s been quite the few months for the plank.

First off it went for suspension set up and corner balancing. Much was made of some of the stats which may have gone slightly over my head, but I am assured the wheels now point in the same direction. Most noticeably the steering wheel is now straight which helps my OCD.

Before - lots of handling sadness

After

During a track evening at brands the car performed brilliantly, was a real delight to drive. Very well balanced. The grip is almost too good, certainly for the standard seats.

Thanks to recommendations on here Neil Parry made me an excellent seat frame for my newly acquired random bucket seat off of the internet. Handily this has removable foam padding which means I now clear the sunroof with a lid on!! Pictured below during test fitting

Next up was wanting to know the actual oil temp on track without fitting a bolt on permanent gauge holder as don’t want to run one on the road. Got a vent mount from market place and one Ali express gauge (7 colours!), fitted via modified banjo bolt on the oil cooler from Essex rotary (prompt delivery btw)

As far as I can work out this is the line exiting the engine

(Please excuse the use of red cable for earth, unforgivable I know). Took a bit of trial and error to get working but seems surprisingly accurate. Will upgrade to the accurate gauge kit in due course https://www.rotarytronics.com

The big piece of work has been building a carputer from a raspberry pi and a touchscreen in the oem sat nav housing. To say this has been a big project is an understatement! Currently on v3 which has been successfully bench tested and waits on the final coding for the fan system before install

I cheated slightly with an ots product called open auto pro which has been excellent. It retains the oem hood motor and looks factory. Wireless car play works through the factory head unit via grom audio box.

Currently powered directly from car with covert switch to isolate power in centre console Image

Final coding includes use of a timer and relay to handle graceful shutdowns but I need a chunk of free time to finish this

Finally, I had a stainless manifold for the car in the parts pile which I thought it might be fun to put on but obviously it’s not the highest quality so doesn’t seal well against the block so making some bespoke gaskets as a little break from electronics

Big thanks to racing beat Europe for excellent service and prompt delivery (turned up in less than 24hrs), highly recommend.

All the while the internets least reliable car continues to behave faultlessly, even when forced to use as the family car - will fit two car seats in the back and a mountain buggy and two scooters in the boot! Not quite what I had in mind when I bought a fun Sunday and track car!

Lord Plankface
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Lord Plankface »

Picture of the gauge and holder. Had to modify the directional vent part but will buy a replacement on the bay. Cable can stay in the vent during road use and it looks oem on the road then less than a minute to swap out for track.

Longer term the carputer will display multiple inputs (I’m thinking specifically of forced induction when or if it becomes widely available

Also see steering wheel with cruise function - think it’s a Mazda 6. Lot cheaper than R3, admittedly not as good looking

Tridi
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by Tridi »

Lord Plankface wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:47 pm

The big piece of work has been building a carputer from a raspberry pi and a touchscreen in the oem sat nav housing. To say this has been a big project is an understatement! Currently on v3 which has been successfully bench tested and waits on the final coding for the fan system before install

I cheated slightly with an ots product called open auto pro which has been excellent. It retains the oem hood motor and looks factory. Wireless car play works through the factory head unit via grom audio box.

Currently powered directly from car with covert switch to isolate power in centre console

Final coding includes use of a timer and relay to handle graceful shutdowns but I need a chunk of free time to finish this
I'm looking forward to how this bit turns out, I'm interested in doing pretty much the same thing. Having carplay around eye level will be a lot better than having to look down at the radio (I know from experience in other cars).

The car's looking nice, good work! How are you finding the BC coilovers day-to-day on UK roads?
Lord Plankface
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Lord Plankface »

Nice break from electronics to address rubbish pedal feel. The plank is in daily duties again so managed to get them sent off, refurbed and refitted all within a working week. Bigg Red v good as always. Any comment on rattle clip placement? Workshop manual not very clear and just following previous orientation relies on it being done correctly before!

There’s something very satisfying about shiny brakes.

Lord Plankface
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Lord Plankface »

[/quote]

The car's looking nice, good work! How are you finding the BC coilovers day-to-day on UK roads?[/quote]

BCs are very good - I run them in full soft for day to day driving. Firm but compliant and no complaints from rest of family.

Lord Plankface
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Lord Plankface »

Carputer phase 3 is full hands free CarPlay integration which requires the 3.5mm audio jack grom unit. This stops the need to switch the phones audio supply from CarPlay to Bluetooth grom.

Also added reverse camera with auto activation, permanent fused power supply and ignition signal rather than intercepting wiring loom. Separate gps tracker also fitted and currently trying to find the best place to store the computer to avoid losing the glovebox and it looking like the stockroom of maplins after an earthquake.

Quite fancy hardwiring the garage door remote to the third (blank) button next to the DSC control….

Paul_13
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Paul_13 »

Lord Plankface wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:41 am
I’m determined to get cruise control working.

All wired in but the pesky electronics won’t work

No connection to vehicle

But with in exactly the same circumstances

Connects via forscan fine

Anyone got any ideas? Connector or user error

I’m so close yet so far!

Has your ecu been remapped?

Easy way to tell is to go to the ecu reset function on forscan and see if it will perform ecu reset.
If it says something along the lines of function not available, chances are you ecu is remapped.

You'll need to flash the original map back on. Run the cruise control program and then Reflash map back on to ecu.
qwakers
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: Turbo
Colour: Nordic Green

Post by qwakers »

a remap would cause a incorrect security hex key error iirc, not a no comms one.
Lord Plankface
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Lord Plankface »

It was the OBD adapter. In the end I spent the money on a proper one and worked fine. There’s probably a lesson there!

Lord Plankface
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Lord Plankface »

One of the issues previously was movement of the car causing unsatisfactory connections so this version has them firmly secured to the back of the glovebox.

I’ve fitted two mini fuse boards for permanent and switched supplies which provide four and six power supplies respectively with individual fuses. I’d put a photo up but they are very well hidden behind the dashboard!

System power can be isolated by rocker switch fitted discreetly to ashtray (the removable part) for maintenance etc

Behind this, in the main body is a usb socket for plugging in things like a full size keyboard for ease of use.

Reversing camera fits quite nicely in the jdm hole above the number plate

Pretty discreet

Microphone fits nicely on A pillar trim and is vaguely hidden

And that’s it!

Wireless CarPlay done. I think that’s probably it for the Plank and time for a new challenge in the absence of a turbo kit coming to the market.

It’s been really fun!

These users thanked the author Lord Plankface for the post:
casey (Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:56 pm)
Lord Plankface
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Lord Plankface »

Well that escalated quickly

350matt
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by 350matt »

Blimey
rebuild time ?

and I like your ramp / lift
Lord Plankface
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Lord Plankface »

350matt wrote:Blimey
rebuild time ?

and I like your ramp / lift
Oh yes!

My kind of sandwich

Rear rotor in place

All seems ok (bit hard to tell with zero experience!)

Front rotor

Much more carbon - one apex seal stuck due to carbon

Lord Plankface
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Lord Plankface »

There’s going to be a carbon cleaning party happening very soon - any advice on how to clean the rotors much appreciated.

Carb cleaner and brass brush seems to work ok ish but bit concerned about harsh abrasive qualities. Have ordered some walnut shell media to try. Direct steam cleaning didn’t cut it. Literally and figuratively

Soaking seals in carb cleaner overnight seems to have remarkably little effect which is telling about the hardness of it

350matt
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by 350matt »

Oven cleaner
These users thanked the author 350matt for the post:
Lord Plankface (Mon May 20, 2024 6:59 am)

Return to “Personal Car Projects and Mods”