RX-8 Owners Club Annual Meet and AGM weekend
Saturday/Sunday 23rd-24th February

Exclusive Club trackday at Castle Combe circuit
Evening dinner celebrating the Club's 15th anniversary
AGM on the Sunday

Lee's Kuro Revival

For you to showcase what you've done to your car and give other members ideas and inspiration.
LeeW
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Sparkling Black

Re: Lee's Kuro Revival

Post by LeeW » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:30 pm

Small update.

IMG_0405.jpeg

I've been running the Miltek/Pettit Catback with a Japspeed HiFlow Cat for the last week or so as a little test to see how loud I think things are going to get, but this morning I refit the stock catback so I could get my base dyno run done. I know I'm not going to be doing anything that hasn't been done before with my Kuro but I still want to track the 'progress' that I make and see what changes do what.

So heres the stock set up overlaid print out:

IMG_0403.jpeg

I know this doesn't really mean a lot in isolation but does this look about right for a healthy stock 231? 157.6hp at the wheels seems in the region of normal and to be expected from what I've read. The guys at EST said that it's a "tough dyno" but I'm sure they say that to everyone just to prep peoples expectations....! The real interest will come at the next dyno when the RRP single resonated DeCat, Miltek/Pettit Catback and AEM CAI go on. Better or worse predictions..? At least dyno no.3 should yield the right results following the remap...
RX8 Story (slow progress): viewtopic.php?f=104&t=78506

350matt
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by 350matt » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:16 pm

I'd ask where they were measuring the air temperature as the 8.8 degrees they're showing on the printout is pretty low
so this would mean the correction factor ( whichever one they're using) will be factoring the power down from the raw figures and if its not right at the engine intake point then it will be 'unkind' to your engine

do they have an uncorrected figure for you?

also regarding the reluctant gearshift, 1st thing to try is some fresh oil and make sure you use a GL4 type the redline 75W80 seems to work well and helped mine with a sticky shift
and you can aslo adjust the clutch pedal to remove most of the slack

Neilparry
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Neilparry » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:00 pm

Just put my well used 2nd hand 231 engine with no issues I had off Dave 2112 on the dyno the 1st of December
and the result was close to yours. With a full Toyo decat system and D 585’s
:wash:

LeeW
Club Member
Club Member

Post by LeeW » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:13 pm

350matt wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:16 pm
I'd ask where they were measuring the air temperature as the 8.8 degrees they're showing on the printout is pretty low
so this would mean the correction factor ( whichever one they're using) will be factoring the power down from the raw figures and if its not right at the engine intake point then it will be 'unkind' to your engine

also regarding the reluctant gearshift, 1st thing to try is some fresh oil and make sure you use a GL4 type the redline 75W80 seems to work well and helped mine with a sticky shift
8.8 was the same as what my car ambient temp was saying to be honest, it was chilly today around East Sussex!
The intake temp probe was just above the stock airbox under the bonnet when I saw it, and the bonnet was just ajar a half inch or so. They do have a massive fan system on the wall there, that seemed like it was shifting a good bit of air. I can't comment as to whether 14c is a realistic figure, I can't see why it wouldn't be correct though?

I was assuming that the uncorrected figure was the blue line "wheel power" and this is what the rollers were reading. then the red line is the corrected figure they magic up with their factors. hence not really regarding the 209 number and focusing on the 157...?

I don't know if you're handle is because you have a 350Z but I went with my friend today who has a 40th Anniversary 370z and it made 250 and the wheels with a corrected number of 315hp. He's just got a cheapish, set of back boxes on it but it sounds great for a V6.

I changed all the oils when I first got the car running and used TRX Semi-Synth Transmition oil 75w-90 from Rotary Revs as it says to use this for gearbox and diff on their website. I did notice that it's a GL4/5 blend though. Maybe I should look at going GL4 if that's recommended... Would the oil cause issues on just that one shift from 3rd to 2nd?

13Black
Club Member
Club Member

Post by 13Black » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:36 pm

Although on their shop it now says Semi-synth, I'm certain it's actually the Fully-synth stuff they sell.
The semi variety is about half the price - I tried it and it seemed awful.
I later switched to the Fully-synth that you have but my gearbox is stuffed I think.

Now back on Redline MT90 which may be a smidge better but it's early days and my choice of oil now is probably somewhat moot. Similarly it's my 2nd gear synchro that seems the worst, particularly coming from 3rd where I have to double declutch while heel & toe-ing - took some practice but I think I've got it now.

Might be worth a go trying Redline.
-= Rotormelon Money Pit Build of Tasteless Questionable Bodgery =-
Experimelon 183whp rebuild | Rotary Revs D585s | PZ Suspension | Hawk & Yellowstuff pads | Extra steering lock | Custom exhaust | Added rearward flames of glory | Unnecessarily repurposed ball gags
-= Clicky click for build thread =-

LeeW
Club Member
Club Member

Post by LeeW » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:48 pm

13Black wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:36 pm
Although on their shop it now says Semi-synth, I'm certain it's actually the Fully-synth stuff they sell.
The semi variety is about half the price - I tried it and it seemed awful.
I later switched to the Fully-synth that you have but my gearbox is stuffed I think.

Now back on Redline MT90 which may be a smidge better but it's early days and my choice of oil now is probably somewhat moot. Similarly it's my 2nd gear synchro that seems the worst, particularly coming from 3rd where I have to double declutch while heel & toe-ing - took some practice but I think I've got it now.

Might be worth a go trying Redline.
Ah ok thanks for the info. I’ve tried revmatching and double clutching it nothing seems to make it take. Only waiting for what seems like a dogs age for the revs to fall works. :(

I’ll give the redline a go and report back. :thumleft:

LeeW
Club Member
Club Member

Post by LeeW » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:53 pm

Neilparry wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:00 pm
Just put my well used 2nd hand 231 engine with no issues I had off Dave 2112 on the dyno the 1st of December
and the result was close to yours. With a full Toyo decat system and D 585’s
Ah cool, I have RRD585s too and a hiflow cat and classing that as stock. Loving the flame shot there, can’t wait to go decat and get the flames going. I know it’s childish but if it’s not going to be very powerful then getting some flames out the back with a crazy chainsaw sounding exhaust is a small consolation for us to smile about.

Neilparry
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Neilparry » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:59 pm

I dyno’d it as a benchmark reading as I plan to rebuild a ported engine in my VR one then swap it into the blue track one.
Then see the difference in figures??
Mind you the decat is coming back off as it’s too loud for uk tracks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:wash:

350matt
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Strato Blue

Post by 350matt » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:09 am

LeeW wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:13 pm
350matt wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:16 pm

8.8 was the same as what my car ambient temp was saying to be honest, it was chilly today around East Sussex!
The intake temp probe was just above the stock airbox under the bonnet when I saw it, and the bonnet was just ajar a half inch or so. They do have a massive fan system on the wall there, that seemed like it was shifting a good bit of air. I can't comment as to whether 14c is a realistic figure, I can't see why it wouldn't be correct though?

I was assuming that the uncorrected figure was the blue line "wheel power" and this is what the rollers were reading. then the red line is the corrected figure they magic up with their factors. hence not really regarding the 209 number and focusing on the 157...?

I don't know if you're handle is because you have a 350Z but I went with my friend today who has a 40th Anniversary 370z and it made 250 and the wheels with a corrected number of 315hp. He's just got a cheapish, set of back boxes on it but it sounds great for a V6.

I changed all the oils when I first got the car running and used TRX Semi-Synth Transmition oil 75w-90 from Rotary Revs as it says to use this for gearbox and diff on their website. I did notice that it's a GL4/5 blend though. Maybe I should look at going GL4 if that's recommended... Would the oil cause issues on just that one shift from 3rd to 2nd?
I used to have an old 350i TVR and have kept that handle ever since..

the power correction figure should be taken as close to the point of where the engine air enters the engine, so while the point of the entry at the front of the car isn't bad the air can increase over this point by several degrees and this will skew the correction by a few percent
so a good thing to check is the IAT figure off a scan tool where its read from the MAF sensor

its telling that the 370z power figure is meant to be 323bhp and your mates recorded 315 with a potentially lower back pressure exhaust
so I'd say that dyno is reading at least 3% too low
so the 157 could be 162 ? so a reasonable figure it would seem for a stock 231
can you ask your tester to log the lambda sensor at the same time on the next run too?

downshifting puts a lot of strain on the synchro's so a better oil can really help so thats well worth a try as the next step

LeeW
Club Member
Club Member

Post by LeeW » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:04 pm

Changed the gearbox oil from the Millers TRX sold on the RR website to the Redline and the gearbox woes are over. It is perfect now and loving it. Can't believe the same weight of oil with a GL4 vs a GL4/5 blend makes the world of difference.

Dyno visit 2 done with RRP single res decat, Miltek/Pettit Catback and AEM. Results.....
Dyno 1vs2.png
flame.jpg
RRP laptop arriving soon for a remap, looking forward to the process and redynoing to see what can be done with the computer.

When thats all done and dusted will be moving on to aesthetic changes. My custom lights are in about their 5th revision of design, hoping to pull the trigger soon and commit to sealing them back up and installing them. Then things like, steering wheel and interior flocking etc to make it a little nicer. Then exterior wise still thinking about what to do...

Return to “Personal Car Projects and Mods”