Lee's Kuro Revival

For you to showcase what you've done to your car and give other members ideas and inspiration.
LeeW
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Sparkling Black

Lee's Kuro Revival

Post by LeeW » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:55 pm

So, I have been meaning to begin my write up on here for months now, but a manner of things has stopped me doing it. Mostly obsessing over the forum and internet, learning as much as I can and reading everybody else stories and feeling like mine would be uninteresting! But I actually want to start documenting it now if only for me to track and as a platform for asking questions and advice in direct respect to my car.

I’ve been into cars all my life but because of the cars I’ve owned and the fact I haven’t had anywhere to work on them, I’ve never really gotten into the aspect of tinkering. I’ve always liked cars with a little something special about them, hence why an RX8 has always been intriguing to me.

Anyway, probably over a year a now whilst talking to a good friend of mine that I work with semi regularly, he tells me about the RX8 he had that “died” in 2014 and has been sat on his drive ever since. Explaining that his mates garage couldn’t fix it (after £900 worth of “trying things”), couldn’t sell it and when he gave up and accepted £400 from a scrapyard to come pick it up the next day, even they didn’t turn up! I kept joking that I would one day have it off him, and then one day he said that he just wanted it gone off his drive and would give it to me!

I immediately went around there to look at it, and see what was what and (after reading advice online) make sure it wasn’t a rust bucket… It was covered in moss but looked in great condition aesthetically. Here she is when I went to look at it in March. Hadn’t moved in 4 or so years…
IMG_0769.JPG
IMG_0764.JPG
The next challenge was finding somewhere to work on it! I was assuming that it wouldn’t run at all. So was planning to learn to take it apart and clean it all up, then probably get the engine rebuilt… So I needed somewhere like a double garage to keep it. After months of multiple daily searches on Gumtree and FridayAd, the PERFECT space came up. A completely secluded brand new double garage with lights, water and private yard on the outskirts of a farm based business estate. I managed to snap it up within a couple of hours of it being listed and set out a low loader to collect the RX8 from North London and drop it to the new place in East Sussex. £120 Later…
IMG_2090.jpeg
So it cost me a bottle of nice wine but it was mine! My mate gave me all the paperwork and it’s bit of a tragic story. In December 2013 he bought it from Mazda with 38000 miles on it for £7000. In May 2014 he had an MOT at 42000 miles and spent £850 on Bridgestones all around, wiper blades and stuff like that to get it through. Then at 45000 he tells me that it coughed and cut out whilst driving so he gave it to his mate who ran a garage. A few days later he got a call to say they had spend around £900 trying to work out what was going on with it but knew nothing. They assumed the engine was kaput so advised him to just get rid of it. So thats it’s back story! God knows how they’re still in business looking back now….

Again, I was learning EVERYTHING (pretty much from trawling the forum) as I went. Battery was completely gone so I went and got a new one straight away. After putting 5litres of fuel in it was still reading completely empty so put 5 more in and it was still showing empty. Gave it a crank and it cranked fast but wouldn’t fire. So having read up on it, I tried the simple deflood procedure of foot on the accelerator and slowly lifting up after a while and it coughed and spluttered but definitely sounded like it was getting closer. Tried it one more time and voila! It started. There was a lot of smoke.

Opened up the airbox and there was no air filter in there and there was oil EVERYWHERE ! I dipped the oil stick and it was about 2 inches above the max line. Somehow it had been MASSIVELY over filled with oil (and the completely wrong oil too from the bottle I found in the boot, fully synthetic and completely the wrong weight!). Also when it was running you could hear all the broken up cat rattling around the mid section and back box. The coils looked like cheap no namers.
IMG_2096.jpeg
IMG_2393.jpeg
IMG_2418.jpeg
Obviously after going back and reading on the forums after every little discovery it all looked pretty simple. So I’ll speed it up. I just decided to service pretty much everything I could. Double oil and filter change, diff and gearbox oil, air filter, cabin filter, wiper blades, discs and pads, cleaned out the backbox, new japspeed sports cat, used rear spring to replace the broken one I found, full coolant flush out 4 times and new coolant, RR D585 coils kit, new spark plugs. It starts hot and cold great and is now MOT’d! I also gave it a proper good clean.

I want to go get a compression test ASAP just to see what sort of numbers it comes up with.

Sorry, I droned on for too long at the beginning and then just glazed over the car stuff that actually spanned a few weeks as I ended up boring myself with the write up!

I haven’t really decided what direction to take it in yet… But I’ll try and keep my thread alive as I do.
IMG_2505.jpeg
IMG_2511.jpeg
IMG_2512.jpeg
IMG_2513.jpeg
IMG_2515.jpeg
Last edited by LeeW on Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RX8 Story (slow progress): viewtopic.php?f=104&t=78506

TheManc
Club Member
Club Member

Re: Lee's Kuro Revival

Post by TheManc » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:05 pm

Looks a great car and an easy fix that just took some time but you did it , well done

LeeW
Club Member
Club Member

Post by LeeW » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:12 pm

Yeah seems I've had a lucky break... Considering I thought I was just going to have to immediately throw thousands at a rebuild and then unknown more at anything else that didn't work. So far I've spent £570 on service items and sundries and £900 on "upgrades" being sports cat, coils and a second hand AEM intake. I'm waiting for a bit to fit the AEM though. I would like to get a compression test first and put a few miles on it to learn what it's like. Then maybe get a dyno run as a base so I can track any changes or upgrades I do.

njkmr
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Kuro Black

Post by njkmr » Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:22 pm

Great write up there fella.
Looks like you have certainly brought it back to life.
Its looking well now, all for a bit of care and attention.
Well done.

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: 231
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:08 pm

Many people name their cars - perhaps you should call yours "Lazarus" ;)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ

geofftl1000r
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Metropolitan Grey

Post by geofftl1000r » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:28 am

warpc0il wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:08 pm
Many people name their cars - perhaps you should call yours "Lazarus" ;)
Having been less then 24 hours away from a crusher I think it should be called 'Lucky' :)
40th Anniversary RX8
D585 Coils
R3 Wheels
RRP COFS
RRP Blue Pulleys

PeteH
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Custom

Post by PeteH » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:34 am

Call the car what you like, but the people that "looked after" it should be called morons. :x
RX-8 in Time Attack 2016 (2nd in class) & 2017 (Championship Winner)
http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/vi ... 04&t=69554

LeeW
Club Member
Club Member

Post by LeeW » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:09 am

PeteH wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:34 am
Call the car what you like, but the people that "looked after" it should be called morons. :x
Shocking isn't it. This is part of the reason why I wanted a car I could learn about fixing things myself. I've always hated taking my cars to mechanics for these types of reasons. Fortunately I have recently found a place I trust a little more to take my BMW (which is now playing up AGAIN). Why would a 335d start absolutely fine when cold but as soon as its warm or hot it is extremely hesitant to start?! Cranks for a good 5-6 seconds now before eventually firing to life. Been getting worse for the last few weeks. Bloody thing....

So the RX8 that I was supposed to be taking apart and replacing or upgrading as a silly project car is now on the drive acting as a temporary daily.... :|

Nickp47
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3

Post by Nickp47 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:20 am

=D> Respect to you Lee for rescuing the car, it looks to have come up really well and in the best colour too ;)

If you don't mind me saying, I can't help finding it a bit amusing that it is your BMW suffering from a hot-start issue rather than the RX-8!

LeeW
Club Member
Club Member

Post by LeeW » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:28 am

Nickp47 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:20 am
=D> Respect to you Lee for rescuing the car, it looks to have come up really well and in the best colour too ;)

If you don't mind me saying, I can't help finding it a bit amusing that it is your BMW suffering from a hot-start issue rather than the RX-8!
Thanks Nick, yeah I'm over the moon with it as a base to work on! I'm sure I'll ruin it once I start modifying it...!

And yes, the irony is not lost on me.....!

willberry70
Club Member
Club Member

Post by willberry70 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:34 am

Amazing story..you saved a beautiful Kuru...with Love....well OK, mostly common sense and lots of hard work. But you now have a beautiful unique (ish) machine! Much joy to come and very, very well done :)

I'd shoot the garage that thought they'd 'have a play with it'. Doubtless claiming it was 'a dud' after their acts of sabotage...oooh makes me cross :evil:
But a happy ending :D
Sparkling Black Kuro SN# 400/500. Green LEDs on door and puddle lamps. LEDs on interior lamps. EBC fronts disks. Uprated battery. Greyed alloys. K&C air filter. Soon RRP Coils and Leads.

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:34 pm

LeeW wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:09 am
Why would a 335d start absolutely fine when cold but as soon as its warm or hot it is extremely hesitant to start?! Cranks for a good 5-6 seconds now before eventually firing to life. Been getting worse for the last few weeks. Bloody thing....
The first place to look would be one of the temperature sensors, either Intake Air or Coolant.

If one of these is still saying "cold" even when hot, then that would explain the issue.

Alternatively it could be a fuel pressure issue, or a cracked hose on the turbo, or....
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ

qwakers
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by qwakers » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:00 pm

or a faulty stater motor or a earth breaking down when hot or........

LeeW
Club Member
Club Member

Post by LeeW » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:23 pm

Ergh..... Sounds like a fun can of worms as usual... over 200k though so I suppose I shouldn't complain too much.....

Anyway, back to the RX8. Now it's all back to a good base and health, before I start doing anything I would like to get a compression test and would love to get a dyno run done, just to see where I'm starting from. Does anyone know somewhere in Kent or East Sussex for dyno runs and roughly how much I should expect to pay?

ASAP I would like to fit the AEM, once I'm used to the stock noise and know what my base power is. Then I will be looking to get an exhaust fitted, will be going DeCat I think and then a map to try and gel it all together. I've read up on the differences between the main exhaust players, so know sort of what to expect but would really rather experience them first hand before making the choice. Is anyone near Hurst Green, East Sussex with the RB, Pettit or RRP? I've been looking at the meets in the Events section, I want to try and get along to these really, would be good to get involved in the scene.

mi60o0
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by mi60o0 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:14 pm

I have Pettit and I’m more than happy with it
Red Rexy
Essex rotary undertray eyebwors
RR gold rebuild. RR coils.
Mazda speed wheels
Full aero kit
Racing beat double resonated decat plus Pettit cat back
AEM Intake.
Essex Rotary Stage 1 Remap.
Satnav gauges install.
To be done when have free time Tein coils.

brix79
Club Chairman
Club Chairman
RX-8: R3
Colour: Aurora Blue Mica

Post by brix79 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:41 pm

Great to see another 8 rescued. And an SE too. Top stuff. =D>
John
Chairman & Forum Admin Team

2017 // 2010 Aurora Blue R3
Potenza S001s | 20mm Eibachs | M1144s | Pettit Catback

2011-17 // 2005 Titanium Grey 231 | Gone, but never forgotten..

ChrisHolmes
Events Team Member
Events Team Member

Post by ChrisHolmes » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:00 pm

Excellent, well done.
Toyo SS Catback
SS Strakes
Custom Sat Nav 3 Gauge install
Meister Zeta R Coilovers
Whiteline ARBs F&R
Slotted & Dimpled Discs F&R
Mintex 1144 Pads F&R
Full OE Aero Kit
Revolution Alloy Front Strut Brace
Lockwood SS Grills
Passenger Footrest
Lambo doors
Original engine 86000 smiles (169.7 rwhp) and then it died!
Own build Steet ported engine fitted Feb 2018 and running sweet as nut

casey
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by casey » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:37 am

Well done on rescuing this one and saving it from being lost :thumleft:

You might want to get along to the Dartford meet, details here:

viewtopic.php?f=99&t=61788

where you can probably get to hear a few exhaust types and chat to other owners.
Essex Rotary Full Bridgeport
Seibon Carbon Fibre Bonnet
"Racing Brake" front calipers
Racing Beat (RB) ARB's F&R, RB REVI intake, FULL RB Stainless Steel Exhaust & Mani, 20mm Eibach spacers, KOYO Ali Rad, Lightened Fly, Tein MonoFlex coilovers & strut brace, Axial short-shifter, BHR Coils & Engine Mounts, Greddy Sump
Federal 595RS-R (dry), Rainsport 3 (wet)

Juey
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: Import
Colour: Black Cherry

Post by Juey » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:50 pm

A 7k oil burp. whoops!
Black Cherry Mica
JDM Evolve. 192 6 spd manual from auto
Stone leather, purple stitching, Folding mirrors, cruise, Pettit cat-back, RB Dual res cat, Bronze Anniversary wheels, Eibach srpings, spacers, RB ashtray gauge pod, Prosport gauges, Interior UV lighting, Ghostlight Rotor, AuxMod.

Father to 2 lovely kids, husband to a gorgeous wife, mortgage broker, athlete and lucky b'stard.

LeeW
Club Member
Club Member

Post by LeeW » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:02 pm

So I went to go see Aston at Essex rotary a few days ago for a compression test and a "mini map". He's a really nice guy and very helpful. Gave me loads of advice and will definitely be going back there when I need stuff done. Very refreshing to meet a business owner that is clearly an enthusiast and talks to you like one.

I wanted to get the mini map done anyway as I like the idea of the precautionary stuff like cold rev limiter, rad fan triggers and OMP increase. Aston explained why I've had the 0420 code come up a couple of times (my cheap Japspeed sports cat as the second sensor before the cat) and the map stops that coming up now.

I didn't think that changing the timings for the new coils I have would have a noticeable difference. I had noticed a tiny flat spot at around 7.5k since getting it on the road but assumed that it was probably a problem with my exhaust. Either the cheap sports cat or maybe a slight gas leak from when I installed it. (I'm also paranoid about the fixed bolts between the new cat and the standard catback, not the spring bolts. I have been meaning to change them). BUT, now I've had the map the flat spot is gone! I can only assume it was the timings for the new coils that have helped?

Compression results are positive I'm lead to believe:

Results are in kPa
Compression results have been normalized to the Mazda standard 250rpm

Actual Cranking Speed at the time of test: 295 rpm

Front Rotor

First Chamber [680,830] : 726.81
Second Chamber [680,830] : 707.83
Third Chamber [680,830] : 708.67

Chambers Difference [<150] : 18.98

Back Rotor

First Chamber [680,830] : 713.31
Second Chamber [680,830] : 723.44
Third Chamber [680,830] : 712.89

Chambers Difference [<150] : 10.55

Rotors Difference [<100] : 3.37

So good news with all the above.

HOWEVER.

Whilst doing another oil change I noticed that the magnetic sump plug I bought from rotary revs is now missing the magnet! I can only assume its somewhere inside my sump.... How worried should I be about this?

Also, when shifting from 3rd to 2nd in the high rev range, it does not want to go in. Doesn't matter if I rev match or not. Even double clutching and being gentle doesn't make a difference. I just have to wait until the engine speed slows down and then it goes in fine. All other changes up and down seem to be fine and smooth.... Any thoughts on this.....?

Other than that, it's great. Still want to try and get along to a meet (thanks for the Dartford shout Casey) and meet some people and hear some exhausts so I can make a choice! And I also want to get a dyno run done so I can see what the graph says in this relatively healthy and unmodified state. Then as I change stuff will be good to continue to go back to the same place everytime under as similar conditions as possible and see what difference the mods make. Also when I decide to get it rebuilt and more than likely go for something "non standard" I can do a before and after.

PeteH
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Custom

Post by PeteH » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:48 pm

The sump is steel, so the magnet will have attached itself to it. It's unlikely to be able to be dragged into the oil pickup, but in the unlikely event that it did it would fubar your engine in seconds. If it was me I'd drop the sump and find the magnet. Then I'd put a standard sump plug in, and just do regular oil changes.
RX-8 in Time Attack 2016 (2nd in class) & 2017 (Championship Winner)
http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/vi ... 04&t=69554

mi60o0
Club Member
Club Member

Post by mi60o0 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:50 pm

If you drop the sump you always can change the oil pressure regulator
Red Rexy
Mazda speed wheels
Full aero kit
AEM Intake.
Satnav gauges install.

LeeW
Club Member
Club Member

Post by LeeW » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:52 pm

PeteH wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:48 pm
The sump is steel, so the magnet will have attached itself to it. It's unlikely to be able to be dragged into the oil pickup, but in the unlikely event that it did it would fubar your engine in seconds. If it was me I'd drop the sump and find the magnet. Then I'd put a standard sump plug in, and just do regular oil changes.
Thanks Pete. This is all pretty much what I thought. :angry:

LeeW
Club Member
Club Member

Post by LeeW » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:53 pm

mi60o0 wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:50 pm
If you drop the sump you always can change the oil pressure regulator
What’s the benefit of changing it....?

mi60o0
Club Member
Club Member

Post by mi60o0 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:03 pm

My oil pressure is hittin 7 bars at cold and is more when warm I bought a fd one from mazdarotaryparts Chris recommended the regulator
Go to YouTube Essex rotary oil pressure regulator and you will see the video I have one machine pressed from my braker you can have for free I can post it to you
Red Rexy
Mazda speed wheels
Full aero kit
AEM Intake.
Satnav gauges install.

Return to “Personal Car Projects and Mods”