Salisbury Car Fest, 8th September

Past events that the Club & Members have attended. Read-only.
CLOVERLEAF159
Events Team Member
Events Team Member

Re: Salisbury Car Fest, 8th September

Post by CLOVERLEAF159 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:29 pm

Well done Duncan. Our guys at the Salisbury show in the square. Managed to pop down before work and say hello. If anybody has some time and is at a loose end, pop down to Salisbury. Some cool cars about.
Image ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author CLOVERLEAF159 for the post (total 2):
GreySilver Beast (Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:05 pm) • casey (Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:06 pm)
CLOVERLEAF159 - Events Team R3 now gone :( FK8 Type R :)

GreySilver Beast
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Custom

Salisbury Car Fest, 8th September

Post by GreySilver Beast » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:08 pm

Well done Duncan and you have made the Club proud =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Events Team
These users thanked the author GreySilver Beast for the post:
CLOVERLEAF159 (Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:17 pm)
GSB-TDU - Events Coordinator & Events Team Admin
RX-8OC Club Calendar - Gang Bang Car Club - NPT Website - GSB III 03/08/13 - Present
S/D-C/limits - RX-8,3MPS,RX-8 R3,GT86 =17 Skid Pan =1 Go Karting =1 Cars Driven =183
3 MPS MKII T/D = 6
RX-8 R3 T/D = 5 + 7 session's
GT86 T/D = 54.5 + 31 session's
Total T/Days Jan 2011 = 65.5 + 38 session's

CLOVERLEAF159
Events Team Member
Events Team Member

Post by CLOVERLEAF159 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:19 pm

Yeah lots of people about and Duncan was busy chatting to people asking questions about the RX-8 as we're the other guys.

These users thanked the author CLOVERLEAF159 for the post:
GreySilver Beast (Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:24 pm)

Honkytonk
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Honkytonk » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:12 pm

Thanks for the kind words chaps, but it was people other than me who came along and provided some great chats, their cars and time, and made a really great day. Amor, Mhd and Pete coming along really helped, so huge props to them all, particularly Pete for coming so far. :thumleft:

Fantastic weather (someone might now be a little sunburnt because they underestimated it :oops: ) today, and a really great turnout of varied types of motors. Really good to see heavily modified tuner cars rubbing shoulders with Austin Sevens and Armstrong Siddleys, along with supercars of all sorts, and a large amount of american and British muscle.

I'll shut up and show some pics now :) (I think these are in chronological order...)

Spoilered for sanity's sake;
Spoiler:

Highlight of the show for me was this absolutely cracking Delta Integrale. Was parked right across from us so I was drooling over it all day.
Spoiler:

Had a lot of really good talks with a large and varied number of people, lots of interest in the cars, and I think we may well have encouraged a few people to pop in and take a look at the club and what it has to offer, or at the very least the car itself.
These users thanked the author Honkytonk for the post (total 2):
GreySilver Beast (Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:14 pm) • CLOVERLEAF159 (Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:08 pm)
Have a gander at my slightly rusty pride and joy in
The P-Shed Project Thread

Humane-Hobgoblin
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 13B 4-port
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Humane-Hobgoblin » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:21 pm

Looked like a good little event! Wished I convinced Lizzie to go to this, woulda been good to have a Velocity Red there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These users thanked the author Humane-Hobgoblin for the post:
CLOVERLEAF159 (Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:08 pm)

Honkytonk
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Honkytonk » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:56 am

Humane-Hobgoblin wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:21 pm
Looked like a good little event! Wished I convinced Lizzie to go to this, woulda been good to have a Velocity Red there. Image

It was a bit of a long day (8-4ish is a long time to be about, great as the company was, and I was feeling it by the end) but you'll just have to come along next year! As it's right in the middle of Salisbury you can use it as some free parking to poke around the shops/cathedral etc. if that helps convince Lizzie ;)
These users thanked the author Honkytonk for the post:
GreySilver Beast (Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:36 am)

Humane-Hobgoblin
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 13B 4-port
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Humane-Hobgoblin » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:04 am

Honkytonk wrote:
Humane-Hobgoblin wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:21 pm
Looked like a good little event! Wished I convinced Lizzie to go to this, woulda been good to have a Velocity Red there. Image

It was a bit of a long day (8-4ish is a long time to be about, great as the company was, and I was feeling it by the end) but you'll just have to come along next year! As it's right in the middle of Salisbury you can use it as some free parking to poke around the shops/cathedral etc. if that helps convince Lizzie ;)

Well Beaulieu was about that if I remember correctly? Yeah, I’ll mention it next time, see if I can’t persuade her!

PeteH
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: 231

Post by PeteH » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:39 pm

As the interloper in the cream Merc 8) I just wanted to add my thanks to Duncan for organising this. And to Mark, Azam and Amor (get your ppf jacked up!! ;) ) for being great company. It was the inaugural run for my MOT-exempt Mercedes :yeah: so it was the perfect opportunity to give it a run out. She did the 160 miles without missing a beat, although the £95 fill up on the way home was a shocker!

It was a great day, with great weather, and it was my first opportunity to visit Salisbury, which is a really lovely City. There was loads of time to have a good look round, and lots of great pubs to help keep us hydrated in the warm weather. I now know the colour of the wall paper in Edward Heath's bathroom, which is a snippet of information I never thought I'd know... :? And I have finally seen the Magna Carta, which is a spooky feeling (democracy started with that small piece of velum, which is unusually pertinent at the moment)

The car show is naturally quite small, because it has to fit on the village square, but the diverse range of cars was pretty unique, and it meant that RX-8s and Merc SLs could all fit in very naturally. Unless they relocate, it will never be the kind of show where we have a full-on stand with 25 cars and a gazebo, but if you get the chance to go next year then I'd recommend it.
These users thanked the author PeteH for the post (total 2):
GreySilver Beast (Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:04 pm) • CLOVERLEAF159 (Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:16 pm)
RX-8 in Time Attack 2016 (2nd in class) & 2017 (Championship Winner)
http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/vi ... 04&t=69554

Nickp47
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by Nickp47 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:05 pm

That Integrale though .... :inlove:

PeteH
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: 231

Post by PeteH » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:33 pm

Nickp47 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:05 pm
That Integrale though .... :inlove:
Got to say, it may look OK in photos, but it was a bit rough in reality :( . It was quite non-original. I'd swear bits of it were painted with emulsion, and the engine bay was a kaleidoscope of random colours. Each to their own, and I love Intergrales, but this one wasn't for me.

(The metallic blue late 1970s Aston V8 however.......)
RX-8 in Time Attack 2016 (2nd in class) & 2017 (Championship Winner)
http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/vi ... 04&t=69554

Honkytonk
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Honkytonk » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:53 pm

Thanks Pete. The SL was looking smashing for her 40 years, and drew plenty of attention in her own right. Glad you enjoyed our little 'Village', it's definitely got enough watering holes! :D

The venue is definitely restricted in size, I think they could fit maybe half a dozen more cars in in total unless they completely rejigged the layout. Still, for the second year, it's a great event to have on right in the middle of town. Salisbury's had a bit of a rough year or two and this kind of event does help bring a bit of a buzz back to the place.

The integrale wasn't perfect, true, but it was used regularly, so I'll let the owner off.

New Duke
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by New Duke » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:54 pm

My wife and I got to have a walk around the festival on our way home to Essex. We were in a rush to pick up the kids and I didn't spot any of you guys when we went by, so unfortunately couldn't say hello. Your cars all looked great and well done for sporting the club banner Duncan. Peter I didn't realise your SL was a vintage one, it was a joy to see!

Having limited time the size of the festival was ideal for us, just enough interesting and varied cars to keep my wife engaged, without rows of dozens of PT Cruisers and Mustangs. Car shows can get a bit samey but this was perfect in my mind. Very nice to see big engines being revved in a town square, that's a rare thing these days. The more excitable members of the public did reinforce to me why I don't take my own car to shows, but I'm grateful that others do instead. There was also live music, parking was free and I got an excellent crepe. Good on the council for putting it all on for free, most are too disorganised to plan this or think cars are evil.

It was my first time in Salisbury too. Also got to see the Magna Carta for the first time (although my latin is rusty and the font is tiny!) and explore the cathedral. So double thanks Duncan, I wouldn't have known Salisbury is such a lovely place without having a reason to visit. Very glad we did.
These users thanked the author New Duke for the post (total 2):
Honkytonk (Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:17 pm) • GreySilver Beast (Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:43 pm)

Honkytonk
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Honkytonk » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:55 pm

I think your thoughts on the day echo mine Duke, it's a great thing to have right in the middle of town, without much in the way of 'same old same old' diluting the car pool, having engines revving (but not too much!), free music and parking.

Shame to have missed you but I'm just glad you had a good day.

As an aside, if any other Salisbury first timers ever want advice on places to eat/drink/stay/see, drop me a message. I can let you know all the areas that weren't covered in nerve agent (or were, if dark tourism is your thing).

And dependent on my work/home commitments, there's an open offer for lifts or even a bed for the night if required.
These users thanked the author Honkytonk for the post (total 4):
CLOVERLEAF159 (Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:59 pm) • Humane-Hobgoblin (Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:00 pm) • GreySilver Beast (Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:19 pm) • casey (Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:57 pm)

CLOVERLEAF159
Events Team Member
Events Team Member

Post by CLOVERLEAF159 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:00 pm

Amazing offer of kindness Duncan, you are the man.

Return to “The Vault”