Lands End to John O'Groats Rotary Relay Drive. Crazy wild idea

Past events that the Club & Members have attended. Read-only.
ChrisHolmes
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Velocity Red

Re: Lands End to John O'Groats Rotary Relay Drive. Crazy wild idea

Post by ChrisHolmes » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:23 am

My guess would be during September. I will try to get some sort of route plotted and a duration estimate should come from that. Needs to cover easy to west as it goes up the country and include some good photo stops too.
Regarding the support truck idea then I think we should just have cars with an agreed list of spare parts then you can also enjoy being part of the convoy.
I doubt anyone will do the whole route but that’s not the aim which is to have a continuous convoy along the route with people joining for sections of anything from a day to several days.
Anyone doing the whole route, whatever that turns out to be could perhaps earn an extra sticker!
Bridge Ported 231
Light weight Flywheel
Tein MonoSports with EDFC Active
Racing Beat F&R ARBs
Racing Brake 4 Pot Front Calipers
Racing Brake two piece slotted & drilled discs
LED Rear Lights
LED 3rd Brake light with blink effect
MazdaSpeed skirts
Safety Devices Full cage
Royal Steering wheel
Short shifter
Mishimoto Catch Tank

qwakers
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Post by qwakers » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:31 pm

ChrisHolmes wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:23 am
My guess would be during September.
yes but when in september :mrgreen:
Regarding the support truck idea then I think we should just have cars with an agreed list of spare parts then you can also enjoy being part of the convoy.
i have no intention of joining the convoy in my rx8.... #-o

its not a road car, i enjoy driving it on the road... just not for long :mrgreen:

i think not having a dedicated support vehicle is a mistake. i can carry luggage, fuel, spare wheels and tyres, a lot of tools, air tools etc can be run off the lorry, the ramps can be used to work under the car... it may make a world of difference to the trip...
These users thanked the author qwakers for the post (total 2):
warpc0il (Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:52 pm) • ChrisHolmes (Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:36 pm)

ChrisHolmes
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by ChrisHolmes » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:45 pm

qwakers wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:31 pm
ChrisHolmes wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:23 am
My guess would be during September.
yes but when in september :mrgreen: Unlikely to know for a couple of months yet
i have no intention of joining the convoy in my rx8.... #-o

its not a road car, i enjoy driving it on the road... just not for long :mrgreen:

i think not having a dedicated support vehicle is a mistake. i can carry luggage, fuel, spare wheels and tyres, a lot of tools, air tools etc can be run off the lorry, the ramps can be used to work under the car... it may make a world of difference to the trip... Its not a race so the truck could follow the same route as the cars but it will be very expensive for you with fuel. Also if people have break down cover and we have some basic spares that sort of negates the need for the truck
Bridge Ported 231
Light weight Flywheel
Racing Beat F&R ARBs
LED Rear Lights
MazdaSpeed skirts
Safety Devices Full cage
Royal Steering wheel
Short shifter
Mishimoto Catch Tank

xamtex
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by xamtex » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:47 am

i have an old road atlas somewhere from the good old days...not a single motorway on it.
These users thanked the author xamtex for the post:
ChrisHolmes (Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:46 pm)

RobertRex
Forum Guest
Forum Guest
RX-8: Supercharged
Colour: Galaxy Grey
Has thanked: 0

Lands End to John OGroats Rotary Relay Drive Crazy wild idea

Post by RobertRex » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:23 am

Hi All,
In the pub last night at the monthly evening meet of Kitnet.uk we were discussing an idea of doing a relay drive from Lands End to John OGroats in kits cars. By doing it as a relay any one group only has to complete a stage of circa 100 miles and we worked out that if we were slick with passing on the baton at predetermined meeting places it should be possible to leave one end at sunrise and get to the other end in time for sunset. By doing a relay there are no issues with rest stops, re-fuelling, meals etc as each section group can have empty bladders, full bellies and full tanks just as the previous group arrives in the opposite condition The google maps time for the journey is only 88 of the period of time between sunrise and sunset on the longest day so that would dictate a late June trip and should give a bit of spare time for traffic etc, but does require the use of motorways. Those not on the road at any given time could keep up to date with live progress via social media and we should be able to get some coverage from at least one of the kit car mags and maybe even get on TV

Each stage group could complete their round trip back to their start point in a more leisurely B road trip and take in a local beauty spot or other such feature and share group pics.

As Kitnet.uk is intended to be a club to bring other kit car clubs together this seems a great way to celebrate its first anniversary this year. As it started as a SW England group, although it has spread out a bit, there isnt sufficient national coverage to complete the whole trip without some long runs so we will be appealing to other single marque and regional clubs to join in. As Im on the GTM forum a fair bit I said Id test the water here. No reason why it couldnt be another GTM 50th celebration event either. Im sure we must have members all the way along the route so there could be at least one GTM in all of the 9 stages

So, any thoughts? there is quite a bit of organising still to do to set this up but if there is sufficient interest this could be a lot of fun. Anyone interested?

Cheers, Dave
These users thanked the author RobertRex for the post:
ChrisHolmes (Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:04 pm)

HypoThermia
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: R3
Colour: Aurora Blue Mica

Post by HypoThermia » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:39 am

Are you sure you've checked the mileage and times correctly for Land's End to John O'Groats? Google maps puts it at a minimum 14 hour drive at road legal speeds.

Top Gear did Land's End to Lowestoft a few years back and only just made it.

(Former Chairman, Membership Secretary, and long time Admin)
R3 Aurora Blue Mica - Racing Brake calipers, rotors and steel brake lines - Racing Beat exhaust - TARGA2 sensors - Lockwood grilles - blue LEDs - side and fog light upgrades - window tints - Eibach spacers
And still three gears left...

Honkytonk
Communications Team
Communications Team
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by Honkytonk » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:58 am

HypoThermia wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:39 am
Are you sure you've checked the mileage and times correctly for Land's End to John O'Groats? Google maps puts it at a minimum 14 hour drive at road legal speeds.

Top Gear did Land's End to Lowestoft a few years back and only just made it.

Having repeated the Top Gear feat myself, I can confirm it can be quite close. However the winter solstice, and the change in latitude involved, would change matters...

840ish miles at a 70mph average (which probably won't happen but divides out nicely) is going to take you 12 hours. If you average out the sunset/sunrise times on the winter solstice between Northern Scotland and Cornwall to say you've got about 7.5 hours of daylight, that gives you 16.5 hours to do it in...

Back of a fag packet says it's possible! Average of about 51mph which given some of the motorway stretches is doable...
Have a gander at my Diamond in the Rough in
The P-Shed Project Thread

And my Lazarus project, the awful(ly fantastic!) Mighty Vectra too if you like

ChrisHolmes
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by ChrisHolmes » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:09 pm

Wouldn’t John O Groats to Lands End give a bit more daylight. Mind you the sunset at John O Groats can be very spectacular!
Even on motorways a 60mph average will be difficult by the time slip road speeds and hand overs are factored in but overall yes it is doable I guess.
Bridge Ported 231
Light weight Flywheel
Racing Beat F&R ARBs
LED Rear Lights
MazdaSpeed skirts
Safety Devices Full cage
Royal Steering wheel
Short shifter
Mishimoto Catch Tank

HypoThermia
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: R3
Colour: Aurora Blue Mica

Post by HypoThermia » Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:14 pm

ChrisHolmes wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:09 pm
Wouldn’t John O Groats to Lands End give a bit more daylight. Mind you the sunset at John O Groats can be very spectacular!
Even on motorways a 60mph average will be difficult by the time slip road speeds and hand overs are factored in but overall yes it is doable I guess.
Yes it would - you'd be driving away from the sunrise and have an extra few minutes for it (not be much - about 16 minutes)
Honkytonk wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:58 am
Having repeated the Top Gear feat myself, I can confirm it can be quite close. However the winter solstice, and the change in latitude involved, would change matters...

840ish miles at a 70mph average (which probably won't happen but divides out nicely) is going to take you 12 hours. If you average out the sunset/sunrise times on the winter solstice between Northern Scotland and Cornwall to say you've got about 7.5 hours of daylight, that gives you 16.5 hours to do it in...

Back of a fag packet says it's possible! Average of about 51mph which given some of the motorway stretches is doable...
Indeed - had not factored in the solstice times. Good call, and well done on the completing the Top Gear run :)

There are a number of options being kicked around in the thread. The kit car example above was sunrise to sunset (during daylight) and would be around 8 hours (probably a typo).
(Former Chairman, Membership Secretary, and long time Admin)
R3 Aurora Blue Mica - Racing Brake calipers, rotors and steel brake lines - Racing Beat exhaust - TARGA2 sensors - Lockwood grilles - blue LEDs - side and fog light upgrades - window tints - Eibach spacers
And still three gears left...

Return to “The Vault”