***TRACKDAY Donington GP Circuit - Friday 18th December SOLD OUT***

Explore the limits of the car and driver, and enjoy the car the way it was meant to be driven. Open pitlane track days, car control days and driver training. The car is the star!
GreySilver Beast
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Custom

***TRACKDAY Donington GP Circuit - Friday 18th December £139***

Post by GreySilver Beast » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:38 pm

Glad to hear you are joining us =D> - Events Team

v-rex
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Re: ***TRACKDAY Donington GP Circuit - Friday 18th December £139***

Post by v-rex » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:07 am

GreySilver Beast wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:38 pm
Glad to hear you are joining us =D> - Events Team
Thanks Nigel.

Vinod

casey
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by casey » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:55 am

This might help for starters. Not saying they are the right/optimum lines, but they work for me in my RX-8 :D

These users thanked the author casey for the post (total 4):
Vj4sothername (Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:56 am) • MightyCondor (Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:06 am) • v-rex (Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:12 am) • GreySilver Beast (Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:33 am)
Club Secretary
Essex Rotary Full Bridgeport

Seibon Carbon Fibre Bonnet
"Racing Brake" front calipers, Racing Beat (RB) ARB's F&R, RB REVI intake, full RB Stainless Steel Exhaust & Mani, 20mm Eibach spacers, KOYO Ali Rad, Lightened Fly, Tein MonoFlex coilovers & strut brace, Axial short-shifter, BHR Coils & Engine Mounts, Greddy Sump
Federal 595RS-R or Rainsport 3

v-rex
Club Member
Club Member

Post by v-rex » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:18 am

casey wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:55 am
This might help for starters. Not saying they are the right/optimum lines, but they work for me in my RX-8 :D

I have a busy morning. And it just got busier as watching this vid has jumped on to the top of my list.... Thanks!

Nice flowing track. Interesting to see some of the corners where the track invites you to go in early but you'd probably wash out on exit, so I see you apex later than I would have first thought.

The guy in the red car ( Octavia ) was doing my head in. In a corner you can outdrive a car like that but on the straights it seems he was similar in acceleration. He kept getting in the way imo and the fact you can't out brake someone or pass in corners for safety means that guy just kept getting in the way. Good idea to slow down and let him drive away.

P.S. Apologies if you knew the guy and I'm talking rubbish, but I was getting aggravated watching that.
These users thanked the author v-rex for the post:
GreySilver Beast (Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:34 am)

casey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by casey » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:43 am

Glad you found it useful. I had the same problem with the Octavia on another track session too. He wasn't going to let me pass, so same again, backed off to get some clear track. Some drivers just don't get it, if he'd have backed off for a second or two on a corner exit I would have been able to pass and he could then see if he could keep up with me. I doubt it, but if he could, I would have let him pass. Simple.
These users thanked the author casey for the post:
v-rex (Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:18 pm)
Club Secretary

"Racing Brake" front calipers, Racing Beat (RB) ARB's F&R, RB REVI intake, full RB Stainless Steel Exhaust & Mani, 20mm Eibach spacers, KOYO Ali Rad, Lightened Fly, Tein MonoFlex coilovers & strut brace, Axial short-shifter, BHR Coils & Engine Mounts, Greddy Sump

Vj4sothername
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Vj4sothername » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:23 pm

That was frustrating to watch.

If the car behind can keep up step aside then try and keep up with them. They'll either vanish off into the distance or show you some interesting lines. Either way, win win and no one's getting frustrated.
These users thanked the author Vj4sothername for the post:
v-rex (Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:26 pm)
S1 - 231 - brilliant black
Feb 08 built,
PZ back box,
PZ suspension,
Scratches,
Replacement engine,
Smiles

v-rex
Club Member
Club Member

Post by v-rex » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:26 pm

casey wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:43 am
Glad you found it useful. I had the same problem with the Octavia on another track session too. He wasn't going to let me pass, so same again, backed off to get some clear track. Some drivers just don't get it, if he'd have backed off for a second or two on a corner exit I would have been able to pass and he could then see if he could keep up with me. I doubt it, but if he could, I would have let him pass. Simple.
Yes, very good point. If someone is all over the back of you then best to let them past. If they are actually faster everywhere then you don't hold them up. Sometimes it turns out that there are a few corners that they are taking better and you can learn where they are doing something different and maybe improve your lines. Then you can sweep past them again after with a faster lap time!

I'd let any RX8 past, just cos they look better in front. I love the fact they corner with almost zero roll, and seem to hang the rear out a couple of degrees in corners. :thumleft:

Edit: Snap with what John (Vj4sothername) just said. I guess I was writing at the same time he was.
These users thanked the author v-rex for the post:
Vj4sothername (Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:55 pm)

Ranjan
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Ranjan » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:52 pm

v-rex wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:26 pm
Hi All,

(John) Vj4s0thername has persuaded me to join this one. So I've booked a spot and a garage. I'll share the garage with John ( and anyone else who wants to use )

Not done a track day for yonks in the car so may have a few questions for prep, but will check the FAQ's on track days first, as it's probably already all covered. Also wondering if there is any tuition available, that is worth me booking, seeing as I've not driven the track before ? Thanks !

P.S. When John told me about Donny, I instantly thought of the Senna's lap of the gods. It being December, it might be raining. In my head I was thinking we could do a perfect recreation of that that lap. I'll play the part of the first car at the back that Senna overtakes !! ;)
Good god Vin,

You are actually going to do a track day with us, finally.
Be good to meet you at last.
Do not bother with the instructor unless he/she is an expert at Donington; you race so just watch one of the many track guides on youtube.

Hoping for good weather.

Ranjan.

v-rex
Club Member
Club Member

Post by v-rex » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:53 pm

Ranjan wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:52 pm

Good god Vin,

You are actually going to do a track day with us, finally.
Be good to meet you at last.
Do not bother with the instructor unless he/she is an expert at Donington; you race so just watch one of the many track guides on youtube.

Hoping for good weather.

Ranjan.
Yes long overdue but it's tricky to get approval to get out during kart season. Will be great to meet you and the others, finally !!

I already feel more comfortable after watching Casey's vid, but still driving a car is different to a kart in some ways. Much heavier, higher speeds and longer braking zones and of course gear changes !!

I was telling John that I give all this advice as an armchair driver, but it's a different case when you are actually driving and I am sure I will be making plenty of mistakes. I think the biggest concern is that it's my own precious RX8 is at risk when I get it wrong.

Still I think the track looks a lot of fun, and a cold crisp dry December day will get the engines singing. I can't wait !!

casey
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by casey » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:42 pm

Ooops, I just noticed I posted laps of the NATIONAL circuit, but you are doing the longer GP circuit :oops: ;)

That'll confuse you! Ignore the right hand chicane, you've got a left hand chicane at the same point, leading to a very tight hairpin on the Melbourne loop, then another, slightly less tight hairpin, back onto the S/F straight. I prefer the more flowing National circuit.
These users thanked the author casey for the post:
v-rex (Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:40 pm)
Club Secretary

v-rex
Club Member
Club Member

Post by v-rex » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:41 pm

casey wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:42 pm
Ooops, I just noticed I posted laps of the NATIONAL circuit, but you are doing the longer GP circuit :oops: ;)

That'll confuse you! Ignore the right hand chicane, you've got a left hand chicane at the same point, leading to a very tight hairpin on the Melbourne loop, then another, slightly less tight hairpin, back onto the S/F straight. I prefer the more flowing National circuit.
Ok cheers noted. At least we can use your vid for that section of the track !! Just have to remember to ignore the right hand chicane !! Hopefully it will be coned off or something....

GreySilver Beast
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Custom

Post by GreySilver Beast » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:51 pm

:giggle:

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:42 am

I hope this event goes ahead and is successful, even though I won't be able to join you guys, it's on my birthday.
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post (total 2):
GreySilver Beast (Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:04 am) • v-rex (Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:06 am)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ

Ranjan
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Ranjan » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:32 am

warpc0il wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:42 am
I hope this event goes ahead and is successful, even though I won't be able to join you guys, it's on my birthday.
Ahh, a fellow Capricorn(ist).
I am turning the big 60 5 days after you.

Below is a description of the supposed traits of Capricorns: summed me up to a tee.
Do you recognize yourself at all?

Capricorn's are hardworking and sometimes come off as serious and take no bullshit. They are stereotyped as being boring but that is because when they meet someone new they can be guarded at first just to get a sense of who that person is. Once you get to know them you'll realize they are funny, have a witty sense of humour and love adventure. But the one thing you don't want to do is P*** them off. This is when their inner bitch comes out. They are good at making you feel very bad and guilty and have a hard time feeling any sort of remorse for those they don't particularly like. They have a strange ability to cut themselves off from people emotionally very fast if you have wronged them. They don't have to say much at all for you to know they dislike you. All it takes is one piercing look from them and it's enough to know you should keep your distance. Just play it cool and don't get on their bad side. They have a lot of friends but only a few they consider very close and share things with. It's hard to get them to talk about their emotions because they are very independent and prefer to deal with their issues on their own. They don't like people to see them vulnerable under any circumstances. But that is not to say they don't help others. They often give good advice and help others they care for when they're in need. They are the best friends you could ask for and the worst enemy you'd want to have.

Ranjan.

MightyCondor
Club Member
Club Member

Post by MightyCondor » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:36 am

Hmm despite my normal skepticism of anything astrological, there's a lot there that I can relate to. 28th Dec for me and not a landmark birthday this year...

Sent from my IN2013 using Tapatalk

v-rex
Club Member
Club Member

Post by v-rex » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:52 am

My first thought when hearing about all of these December birthdays, is do you guys normally get 2 presents, one for Birthdays and Xmas, or do people tend to lump them together as one gift ? How materialistic am I ? #-o

MightyCondor
Club Member
Club Member

Post by MightyCondor » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:09 am

v-rex wrote:My first thought when hearing about all of these December birthdays, is do you guys normally get 2 presents, one for Birthdays and Xmas, or do people tend to lump them together as one gift ? How materialistic am I ? #-o
My parents always made the effort to celebrate it separately, so no lumping together thankfully. The worst thing about having a birthday 3 days after Christmas is that people are often unavailable to help me celebrate.

These users thanked the author MightyCondor for the post:
v-rex (Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:46 am)

Ainmhidh
Committee Member
Committee Member
RX-8: R3
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Ainmhidh » Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:59 am

My other half is on the 25th - now that makes for an expensive day, and difficult shopping when it's separate gifts. She's been pretty adamant that she doesn't want presents of a set of filters and fluids for either car!
Also, try and find birthday wrapping paper any time after halloween...
These users thanked the author Ainmhidh for the post:
v-rex (Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:07 pm)
Alan | Membership Secretary | 2010 R3 | stock apart from a couple of dings and scrapes! (Black diamond discs, yellow stuff pads, RR d585s, Magnecor leads...)

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:35 pm

My birthday is a week before Christmas, which makes it Sagittarius rather than Capricorn. However us Sagittarians don't believe in astrology. ;)

My sister was born 4 years and a day later.
She gets really upset about having Christmas stuff around on Her Birthday - because she seems to think that she's more important than Jesus.

It's never really bothered me and "combined birthday/Christmas presents" have become a thing in my life.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
v-rex (Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:07 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ

Ranjan
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Ranjan » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:33 pm

Please do not get me started on "combined birthday/Christmas presents" :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :!:

Ranjan.
These users thanked the author Ranjan for the post (total 2):
GreySilver Beast (Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:56 pm) • v-rex (Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:30 pm)

v-rex
Club Member
Club Member

Post by v-rex » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:26 am

So quick question. My tyres are a bit past their best. The fronts are Bridgestone Re050A's and probably about 4 and a bit years old, and the rears Bridgestone S001's about a year younger. Plenty of tread left but I guess just old so getting a bit less grippy now.

Thinking of switching to a new set on all 4 in 235/40/18 but wondering if I should do the track day in my old tyres first ? Or just switch now so they are scrubbed in by Dec? Thoughts please? I don't use the car too much in winter apart from quick drives to get everything topped up so won't be doing winter tyres or anything, even though the uniroyal rainsports look so cool.

MightyCondor
Club Member
Club Member

Post by MightyCondor » Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:56 am

One of my first ever track days was at Mallory Park on a torrentially wet January day. I had mismatched tyres and was in my RX7 FD.

I learnt a lesson that day...

The electronic aids will look after you in a RX8, but having good wet and dry tyres will allow for a safer more fun experience...

These users thanked the author MightyCondor for the post (total 2):
v-rex (Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:28 am) • GreySilver Beast (Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:30 am)

v-rex
Club Member
Club Member

Post by v-rex » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:28 am

MightyCondor wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:56 am
One of my first ever track days was at Mallory Park on a torrentially wet January day. I had mismatched tyres and was in my RX7 FD.

The electronic aids will look after you in a RX8, but having good wet and dry tyres will allow for a safer more fun experience...

Ok maybe ok I should look into some wet tyres for Donny.

Vj4sothername
Club Member
Club Member

Post by Vj4sothername » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:31 am

v-rex wrote:
MightyCondor wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:56 am

Ok maybe ok I should look into some wet tyres for Donny.
I hear Rainsport are good.

Now I have the Semi slicks on my spare set, I'll be getting Rainsports on as my daily next.
S1 - 231 - brilliant black
Feb 08 built,
PZ back box,
PZ suspension,
Scratches,
Replacement engine,
Smiles

New Duke
Communications Team
Communications Team
RX-8: R3
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by New Duke » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:03 pm

I can vouch for the new Rainsport 5 as a wet/damp/cold weather tyre. They're fantabulous.

(They're good on the road in summer too)
These users thanked the author New Duke for the post:
v-rex (Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:03 pm)

Return to “Car Activity and Track days”