Spa Francorchamps 2019 trip

Explore the limits of the car and driver, and enjoy the car the way it was meant to be driven. Open pitlane track days, car control days and driver training. The car is the star!
mrspiller
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Copper Red

Spa Francorchamps 2019 trip

Post by mrspiller » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:39 am

We ( myself , Neil Parry , his son Tom and Grayham in his MX5 ) loaded the trailers with cars and vans with spare tyres , tools and headed across . It is one hell of a drag towing a trailer but well worth it in my opinion . Tom had been watching a bit of grand tour lately so issued us all with walkie talkies ( handheld 2 way radios ) when we left . That was the best idea ever , convoying three deep can be a bit difficult and lonely so they added a bit of much needed laughter throughout . Also very good when you take a de tour and get lost in the middle of Brussels lol .
So 13 hours later we arrived at our chalet , same as last year , self catering all good . Circuit days were out there for two days , our decision was to go to the circuit and watch the first day and drive the second . A damn good idea , it lashed it down pretty much all day on the first day
We arrived the following morning , forecast was dry all day . The circuit was wet from the rain over night but drying a bit . Sighting laps and first session out was on semi slicks , the circuit was too wet , the car had no grip , continuously losing either the front or the rear and quite slow speeds . So in for a change of daps , wets on , this took ages as I need to use wheels spacers with the wet wheels , and in the confusion put wrong spacers and wrong wheels on the front and back ......... so basically , a double change . Lucky Neil Tom and Grayham were all helping . It took that long to change them that when we got back out there was now a dry line appearing on some of the sunny parts of the circuit . So , I pushed on until I could hear the grumbling of the tyres , which was about 15 mins before lunch . Sun was shining circuit was dry , happy days . Semi slicks back on for the afternoon session . 5 minutes before lunch was over , boom , the heavens opened , a lot ,it hammered down . Change back to wets , which was a lot quicker this time around . And out we went , the car was running great on the wet tyres enabling is to lush quite a bit , the track was drying slightly on the second session but I left the wets on , the grumbling was back but I was having so much fun I left them on , going through the fast corners flat out hearing them pretty much falling apart so it was time for a change back .
By now the circuit was dry everywhere which is something I didn’t experience last year . The car was amazing through the corners , gaining so much time on the high powered cars but not having the va va voom on the straights , well the Kemal straight in particular . Driving flat out through EauRouge - radillon and blanchimont was a feeling I’ll never forget , the car just wouldn’t have it flat through double gouache but was only having to back down about 10 mph to line it up in end .
So to summarise , the afternoon was brilliant , I couldn’t have wished for any better .
ImageImage
One photo of each car on the day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by mrspiller on Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author mrspiller for the post (total 3):
nightfire10 (Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:41 am) • GreySilver Beast (Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:42 am) • warpc0il (Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:24 pm)

GreySilver Beast
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Custom

Re: Spa Francorchamps 2019 trip

Post by GreySilver Beast » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:44 am

Will be there next year Wayne :thumleft:

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author GreySilver Beast for the post:
mrspiller (Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:21 pm)
GSB-TDU - Events Coordinator & Events Team Admin
RX-8OC Club Calendar - Gang Bang Car Club - NPT Website - GSB III 03/08/13 - Present
S/D-C/limits - RX-8,3MPS,RX-8 R3,GT86 =17 Skid Pan =1 Go Karting =1 Cars Driven =183
3 MPS MKII T/D = 6
RX-8 R3 T/D = 5 + 7 session's
GT86 T/D = 53.5 + 31 session's
Total T/Days Jan 2011 = 64.5 + 38 session's

Return to “Car Activity and Track days”