Forge Action Day 2019
Saturday 7th September | Castle Combe

Club stand display | Exclusive Club track session | The ever popular drift team displays | Show and Shine competitions & more

£15 per car (Admits the driver and up to 3 Passengers) | Under 17's go FREE! And do not need a ticket.

RX-8 Trophy, new racing class for 2019

Explore the limits of the car and driver, and enjoy the car the way it was meant to be driven. Open pitlane track days, car control days and driver training. The car is the star!
Fishy Dave
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Prospective Buyer

RX-8 Trophy, new racing class for 2019

Post by Fishy Dave » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:39 pm

Hi All,

I've been very quiet on here, but have been lurking in the background for some years and decided to join the club as I've learnt a fair bit whilst doing my research. Starting next year the CSCC (I'm a Director btw) will start the 'RX-8 Trophy' a class for 231, series 1 RX8 in as near standard form as possible. A complete, ready to race car will cost between £4000 and £5000 and will remain in a road legal, MOT'd condition with air con, heater and stereo.
For more information take a look on the CSCC New Millennium Facebook Group.

If any members would like passenger laps at the Motorsport Days Live show in November at Silverstone please get in touch with me at david@classicsportscarclub.co.uk

Next season I'd be happy to provide FOC tickets to the race meetings around the UK, could be a good place for a meet?

Full disclosure: We don't sell the cars or parts, we are a car club that puts on motor racing and hope the mods will agree it's of interest to the RX8 community. :)

Best regards, David
These users thanked the author Fishy Dave for the post (total 3):
wiggles (Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:14 pm) • Stripey71 (Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:53 pm) • CookieMonster (Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:51 pm)

Fishy Dave
Former Member
Former Member

Re: RX8 Trophy, new racing class for 2019

Post by Fishy Dave » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:57 pm

benedwards64
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Post by benedwards64 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:28 pm

Hi Dave,

Sounds intriguing - do you have a link to the regs?

Fishy Dave
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Fishy Dave » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:44 pm

Hi Ben, No, not yet, at this point in the racing season time is at a premium, but given another few weeks they will be out. Essentially it's strip the carpet, headlining, airbags, seats and belts out (leave the door cards, centre tunnel and dash alone). Roll cage, FIA seat, harness, cut out and extinguisher in. Front and rear pads, Nankang NS2R tyres, move the front plate and the option of fitting a SOHN and you're done. I've been following your trials and successes on you PH thread, good work sir.

Dr. FrankenRex
Communications Team
Communications Team
RX-8: R3
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Dr. FrankenRex » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:51 pm

I can't speak for the club or anything, but from a personal perspective, an OC meet at an RX8 trophy race weekend sounds like an amazing idea - FOC would obviously be great, but I wouldn't mind paying a minimal fee to support it as well.

In terms of competing, I too would be interested in the full regs when available.
FrankenRex2, leaner and meaner. RR Full Bridge rebuild with Race Extension porting, Cusco Strut Brace, RB Header, RB Dual Res Decat, Pettit Catback, Eibach lowering springs, Maserati 6 pot brakes, braided brake lines, custom built DRLs, track wheels, Custom front and rear lights, braided clutch line, RB ARBs - the list goes on!

benedwards64
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Post by benedwards64 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:11 pm

Fishy Dave wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:44 pm
Hi Ben, No, not yet, at this point in the racing season time is at a premium, but given another few weeks they will be out. Essentially it's strip the carpet, headlining, airbags, seats and belts out (leave the door cards, centre tunnel and dash alone). Roll cage, FIA seat, harness, cut out and extinguisher in. Front and rear pads, Nankang NS2R tyres, move the front plate and the option of fitting a SOHN and you're done. I've been following your trials and successes on you PH thread, good work sir.
Thanks Dave. Sounds pretty reasonable tbh - Pete and I were actually looking at joining one of the new cheap enduro series next year (C1, Ford Ka or similar), but picking up a second RX8 for this would be easy enough. Do you have a cage manufacturer on board? Any other control parts (apart from brake pads and tyres) or is it literally running stock suspension etc?

Fishy Dave
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Fishy Dave » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:20 pm

Good to hear Dan :)

Ben, yes, Laser Caged Engineering are making the cages, you can spec a colour too, I went for a Blue to match the IMSA RX7 colours (it will be having a wrap in a few weeks). No other control parts except for a Cartek cutout. Oem/Mazda for everything else. One or two allowances as mentioned like a SOHN, R3 starter/fuel pump and the only 'performance' allowance is a Toyosport Cat (all other parts of the exhaust remain standard), just because they are so much cheaper than the Mazda unit. :)

mrspiller
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Copper Red

Post by mrspiller » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:37 pm

Fishy Dave wrote:Good to hear Dan :)

Ben, yes, Laser Caged Engineering are making the cages, you can spec a colour too, I went for a Blue to match the IMSA RX7 colours (it will be having a wrap in a few weeks). No other control parts except for a Cartek cutout. Oem/Mazda for everything else. One or two allowances as mentioned like a SOHN, R3 starter/fuel pump and the only 'performance' allowance is a Toyosport Cat (all other parts of the exhaust remain standard), just because they are so much cheaper than the Mazda unit. :)
Very interesting
Following with interest , I wonder if caged could adapt my half cage to a full one .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:57 pm

Are aftermarket coil packs allowed?

Does it have to be the OEM catback?
That's megabucks new* and used is difficult as the mid-pipe joint isn't design to be undone and will be seized solid, making the assembly too big to transport.

* £1,042 inc. VAT for a Mazda catback, which is more that the book price for some S1's #-o
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ

boosted
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Aurora Blue Mica

Post by boosted » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:01 pm

I saw the car in picture at Combe on monday..was going well.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

These users thanked the author boosted for the post:
Fishy Dave (Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:30 pm)
231 streetported Rx8 renny powered Westfield kit race car.
92 Rx7 fd3s stock twins..est.320bhp. Track car.

Fishy Dave
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Fishy Dave » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:30 pm

warpc0il wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:57 pm
Are aftermarket coil packs allowed?

Does it have to be the OEM catback?
That's megabucks new* and used is difficult as the mid-pipe joint isn't design to be undone and will be seized solid, making the assembly too big to transport.

* £1,042 inc. VAT for a Mazda catback, which is more that the book price for some S1's #-o
Yes, aftermarket coils, leads and plugs will be allowed, one of the few areas that will be free.

Agreed on the Mazda exhaust price. We will allow genuine or exact OEM copies, provided that the replacement part doesn't give a performance advantage, only one of availability or cost. I paid the princely sum of £75 for an ebay replica oem backbox that is in the exact bore and design as the original. It will probably rot through in 10 minutes mind. :D

13Black
Club Member
Club Member

Post by 13Black » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:19 pm

Well tickle my wankel stick and call me Susan.

Excited to see this when it kicks off :D

Too early to say I'm sure, but are there any plans for a slightly more 'involved' class somewhere down the line? Aftermarket suspension, brakes, breathing etc?
-= Rotormelon Money Pit Build of Tasteless Questionable Bodgery =-
Experimelon 183whp rebuild | Rotary Revs D585s | PZ Suspension | Hawk & Yellowstuff pads | Extra steering lock | Custom exhaust | Added rearward flames of glory | Unnecessarily repurposed ball gags
-= Clicky click for build thread =-

warpc0il
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
Colour: Lightning Yellow

Post by warpc0il » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:36 pm

I'm not convinced that any aftermarket catback offers a performance advantage, unless also linked to much more radial changes.
On that basis, and given that you've already allowed for the ToyoSport cat, it would make sense to also allow the ToyoSport/Japspeed catback.

How do you plan to manage the "porting" issue? A street port is undetectable without a strip down and even a wild bridge port would only be given away by the sound. Anything in between would also be impossible to determine externally.

Few people have an engine rebuilt these days without some porting enhancements, as it's so cheap to do at the same time, that it would be a shame not to.

Even a competitors signed declaration would not be effective is people are buying used engines with unknown histories.

The original Mazda Sport Suspension units will also be getting worn and tired, potentially too worn and tired to be used on the track.
OEM replacements are again more expensive than the value of the car.
Cheap "replacement units" from motor factors aren't up to the original quality and can cause nasty handling
Allowing a free choice of aftermarket coil overs would be against the premise of the race series.

I therefore suggest that you allow for the option of "new PZ specification" suspension units, as are currently being produced by Bilstien as a special order for the OC. See viewtopic.php?f=6&t=76220.

Some 70 members will be taking delivery of theirs shortly and a further quantity are being held for sale through the Club Shop.
These users thanked the author warpc0il for the post:
New Duke (Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:39 pm)
Dave
The Spin Doctor ™
uǝǝɹɔs ɹnoʎ ʇɹǝʌuı ǝsɐǝld :ɹoɹɹǝ

13Black
Club Member
Club Member

Post by 13Black » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:40 pm

I think you'd notice on a simple datalog. Certainly if the port was any bloody good/anything to worry about competitively.
Experimelon 183whp rebuild | Rotary Revs D585s | PZ Suspension | Hawk & Yellowstuff pads | Extra steering lock | Custom exhaust | Added rearward flames of glory | Unnecessarily repurposed ball gags

boosted
Club Member
Club Member

Post by boosted » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:33 pm

Most of the trackers on here have fairly modified cars for both performance and reliability and they're the 1s that are gonna consider this...
Class system?

231 streetported Rx8 renny powered Westfield kit race car.
92 Rx7 fd3s stock twins..est.320bhp. Track car.

mrspiller
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Copper Red

Post by mrspiller » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:32 pm

boosted wrote:Most of the trackers on here have fairly modified cars for both performance and reliability and they're the 1s that are gonna consider this...
Class system?

I agree
However , if you look on the FB page there’s a serious amount of interest . Me thinks the price of good engined used cars might be sky rocketing quickly .....
There plenty of flawes , but this is only at early stages at the mo , I’m sure they will get ironed out over the next few months .
One thing , if as I read is correct , it’s a standard exhaust ?
It’ll be a very quiet day .....
More like E cars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13Black
Club Member
Club Member

Post by 13Black » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:47 pm

I guess the more serious folk in 750mc etc already have the class and budget they're happy with - it's not in direct competition with them of course but no harm in opening up an entry level series where the car might actually be competitive on the grid at that budget!

=D>

But yes, a decat and aftermarket silencer option would be a flame-filled spectacle of glory... which may detract from the MOT-compliant nature of it and could put some people off I suppose.

brix79
Club Chairman
Club Chairman

Post by brix79 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:05 pm

Personally, I think this looks very interesting, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it progresses. :D
John
Chairman & Forum Admin Team

2017 // 2010 Aurora Blue R3
Potenza S001s | 20mm Eibachs | M1144s | Pettit Catback

2011-17 // 2005 Titanium Grey 231 | Gone, but never forgotten..

Liam22
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Liam22 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:09 pm

Good luck with it Dave.

I would have a serious think about how to police engines. OBD data logging on MAF airflow value (and peak RPM) would be one approach. Just plug an OpenPort into the OBD port on a random basis?

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

13Black
Club Member
Club Member

Post by 13Black » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:20 pm

I think an endoscope with UIM & exhaust manifolds off would be pretty certain way to catch anyone and it's not end of the world to do.

Lemon
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Winning Blue

Post by Lemon » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:39 am

13Black wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:47 pm
I guess the more serious folk in 750mc etc already have the class and budget they're happy with - it's not in direct competition with them of course but no harm in opening up an entry level series where the car might actually be competitive on the grid at that budget!

=D>

But yes, a decat and aftermarket silencer option would be a flame-filled spectacle of glory... which may detract from the MOT-compliant nature of it and could put some people off I suppose.
no airbags though?
Thanks, Stu

PeteH
Committee Member
Committee Member
Colour: Custom

Post by PeteH » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:50 am

Can be MOT'd as a race car. If it has harnesses and fixed race seats it doesn't need air bags. Does need cat though.
RX-8 in Time Attack 2016 (2nd in class) & 2017 (Championship Winner)
http://www.rx8ownersclub.co.uk/forum/vi ... 04&t=69554

Fishy Dave
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Fishy Dave » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:33 am

Thanks all, very valid points. With regard to allowing other modifications such as cat back, shocks and porting, these won't be permitted in the RX8 Trophy, but are most welcome in class C of the New Millennium series. Therefore all the RX8's would be on track together, but racing for a different award. One of the photos I used on Facebook is of Liam's car from the one race he took part with us, back in 2015 before the New Millennium series began. https://www.classicsportscarclub.co.uk/new-millennium
These users thanked the author Fishy Dave for the post:
13Black (Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:30 pm)

Dr. FrankenRex
Communications Team
Communications Team

Post by Dr. FrankenRex » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:59 pm

I agree on the no-aftermarket-catbacks thing tbh. OK, it'd be a quieter day, but the toyosport would provide an advantage weight wise. The OEM backbox is a heavy bit of kit, so if you're going to give people the option it would give an advantage to go with the toyo.

Just my 2 cents on that.

Suspension wise, as well, there are enough stock spec units floating about for people to keep cars on the road (or track, so to speak) without forcing new drivers to spend another £500+ on a kit that, should the worst happen, can't be replaced anymore...
FrankenRex2, leaner and meaner. RR Full Bridge rebuild with Race Extension porting, Cusco Strut Brace, RB Header, RB Dual Res Decat, Pettit Catback, Eibach lowering springs, Maserati 6 pot brakes, braided brake lines, custom built DRLs, track wheels, Custom front and rear lights, braided clutch line, RB ARBs - the list goes on!

delta0
Club Member
Club Member

Post by delta0 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:55 pm

Keep us up to date with the calendar and locations. I’m interested in coming to watch!
These users thanked the author delta0 for the post:
Fishy Dave (Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:07 pm)
RX8 R3 Aurora Blue Mica

BHR coils+MSD leads, Stage 1 ecu tune, HKS Hybrid oil filter, Idemitsu 10w30, BHR engine mounts, Racing Beat oil cooler lines, Essex Rotary undertray, Racing Beat Revi Intake+Ram Air, Milltek/Pettit cat+catback and Continental SportContact 6

Return to “Car Activity and Track days”