Total votes: 84

MightyCondor
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Re: LED Tail lights

Post by MightyCondor »

Delanor wrote:I had to pay wait for it £53 taxes etc when UPS delivered them to the door
That sounds like a lot for taxes. I just tried an online calculator and got a cost of £31 to import. Did UPS apply a hefty clearing fee of their own on top of the VAT and the duty?

Edit: looking closer at the figures I'm not sure if the online calculator is correct, but £53 still sounds a bit high to me.
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 40th Anniversary
Colour: Crystal White

Post by Delanor »

This is a first for me when buying from the USA after quite a few times in the past but the UPS driver arrived with the Package and said there was £53 import duty to pay either by cheque or Cash - I paid cash and he just wrote on the top of the invoice import duty the amount received in cash, but there is no explanation of the charge on the invoice so I am writing to UPS to complain how it was done.

My lights were actually shipped from here Spyder but they are not showing a listing for the RX-8 and wholesale applications are possible so it might be worth trying a group buy if anyone is interested in taking it on.

Del.
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, Cosworth Air filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11 coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.
davidoug22
Forum Guest
Forum Guest
Has thanked: 0

Post by davidoug22 »

i woudl be up for group buy also
i have the black pz so thinking smoked as i jsut got windows tinted, aany thoughts??
:lol:
MightyCondor
Club Member
Club Member

Post by MightyCondor »

Oh go on then! I've messaged both Spyder and Carid to ask if they're willing to do a group buy.
clinko
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Strato Blue
Been thanked: 0

Post by clinko »

fairplay mighty condor im definetly in .....put me down if they are up for it
K&N air filter
red stuff brake pads
refurbed wheels smoked chrome
davidoug22
Forum Guest
Forum Guest

Post by davidoug22 »

i just bought a set online for 180 dollars, 100 dollars shipping works out 195 pounds all in, shipping alot i know, will post pics once fitted, i got the smoked ones for my black pz
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Delanor »

Easily enough fitted but just a slight problem the upper LED brake light has put the ABS & DSC warning lights on permanently now the LED tail lights are fitted, I tried the original brake light back and the warning lights went out so just need to sort out the correct value resistor to wire in.

Any electricians good with LEDS & Ohms Law?

Del.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1st Brilliant Black 190. 2nd Brilliant Black PZ. 3rd Strato Blue 230. 4th Crystal White 40th Anniversary.
Rotary FX fender grills, Japspeed stainless exhaust, Cosworth Air filter, Kinetix slotted & dimpled discs, EBC Red stuff pads, Ryan Rotary MK11 coils, Magnecor leads, Stainless front & rear grills, HID main beams, LED tail lights, front side lights/front fogs.
exiled--viking
Former Member
Former Member

Post by exiled--viking »

sorry posted in error
Last edited by exiled--viking on Fri May 22, 2015 10:41 am, edited 4 times in total.
MightyCondor
Club Member
Club Member

Post by MightyCondor »

I've had a reply from CARiD and although it was brief leaving many details to be worked out, it does sound like a group buy may be a possibility.

It sounds like they are willing to apply discount on the units themselves, although they didn't specify how much. They would also look into shipping via USPS instead of UPS which should bring the postage down a bit.

I've replied asking them to provide a delivered unit cost for each of the three types of light and also for clarification over how they would want us to order and pay, whether it be individually or me ordering on behalf of everyone (obviously I'd prefer the former).

One possible problem is that in his email, the sales representative included a link to the items that the supplier have in stock, which was a shopping cart containing the chrome and smoked units but not the black ones. The black lights are listed in stock on the website, but if they have to go to the supplier to complete the order that may not be accurate. Again I've asked for some clarification here. Delanor's poll suggests that a majority of us would want the black lights, so we'll see how this progresses.

Stay tuned.
MightyCondor
Club Member
Club Member

Post by MightyCondor »

Delanor wrote:Easily enough fitted but just a slight problem the upper LED brake light has put the ABS & DSC warning lights on permanently now the LED tail lights are fitted, I tried the original brake light back and the lights went out so just need to sort out the correct value resistor to wire in.

Any electricians good with LEDS & Ohms Law?

Del.

I hope this is an easy fix, as I doubt many of us will be ordering them if this is going to happen to us all. Although having said that, If it only the centre light I'd probably just leave the stock one in place.

Keep us updated :thumleft:

Edit: Ignore this post entirely. I completely failed to grasp the issue here :oops: The rest of us with stock centres, shouldn't have a problem with these lights.
Last edited by MightyCondor on Fri May 22, 2015 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
DanBass
Media Team
Media Team
Colour: Galaxy Grey

Post by DanBass »

It won't be a problem unless you have an LED high level brake light, which very few will id have thought.
'96 NA8 MX-5: MeisterR, and soon to be choo-choo'd
'56 Galaxy Grey PZ: sold

'54 Brilliant Black 192: sold
'54 Titanium Grey 192: rebuilt, sold
'53 plate Velocity Red 192: being rebuilt...still

‘67 Sunset Orange BMW 335D MSport Touring
'01 Topaz Blue BMW 330ci convertible
MightyCondor
Club Member
Club Member

Post by MightyCondor »

DanBass wrote:It won't be a problem unless you have an LED high level brake light, which very few will id have thought.
Thanks Dan. I only just twigged a moment before you posted. Not to worry then :D
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Delanor »

Apparently not all cars have the same problem when fitting LEDs but an upper brake light LED is easy enough to deal with and if you have the stock upper brake light then the new tail lights will fit without problem.

Del.
These users thanked the author Delanor for the post:
MightyCondor (Fri May 22, 2015 10:39 am)
Phil Bate
Spin Doctor
Spin Doctor
RX-8: Kuro
Colour: Sparkling Black

Post by Phil Bate »

Does anyone have any pictures of these with the reverse/indicators lit?
Phil's subtle sunlight silver - stronger, faster, with added red bits and stuff engine donor!
Operation Mint - Kuro preservation project
The pimped out Glacier White XE - quintessential British motoring from Jaguar
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Delanor »

Just in case anyone is in the market Carid do lots of spoiler thingys & things here - Spoilers etc

Del.
Bob7300
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Velocity Red

Post by Bob7300 »

Delanor wrote:Just in case anyone is in the market Carid do lots of spoiler thingys & things here - Spoilers etc

Del.
Crappppp..... want!

If you wish to forget anything on the spot, make a note that this thing is to be remembered.

E A Poe
DanInPoole
Former Member
Former Member

Post by DanInPoole »

Hi Phil

Bit light to take the pic.... but you get the idea.

Dan

Toyo Sport Cat Back, 40th Anniversary wheels done in gold, Full Lockwood Grilles , Tints done, Callipers painted, Roof wrapped, 40th Anniversary spoiler in black. AEM Intake fitted, boot brake light removed, de-badged, painted in Flugplatz blue, full Kuro interior fitted
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Delanor »

In view of the availability now at a more reasonable price of LED tail lights for the RX-8 are these just having a laugh with their so called new price of nearly £500 per set?

Clicky Kamikaze

Del.
MightyCondor
Club Member
Club Member

Post by MightyCondor »

I've never been much of a fan of the plastic shroud on the Kamikaze lights. That and the price is too much to be spending on lights! I thought they used to be a bit cheaper...

I'm still working on organising a group but for the Spyder LED lights, it's just taking some time. I'm currently emailing back and forth with a guy called Ben at CARiD, which is limited to 1 each way a day with the 8 hour time difference. A group buy looks a possibility, with an estimated 10-15% discount being mooted on the lights, plus cheaper shipping through USPS. Ben is working on getting a shipping quote either sending the lot to me directly to distribute, or sending them directly to each customer. It's a little tricky for him not knowing how many lights we intend to order, but hopefully we'll be able to work out a plan for me to present to the club.

Sadly the black lights are currently out of stock. I'm yet to find out how long it'll take until more are available.

Obviously I'll let you know if and when :)
kopite72
Club Member
Club Member

Post by kopite72 »

R3 Reg? :scratch:
R3 GONE, FUN WHILE I HAD HER BUT NOW LOVING MY 25TH ANNIVERSARY MX5

Mods so far..
BBR 200 PACKAGE
COBRA " RACE " BACK BOX
MEISTER COILOVERS
KONIG HYPERGRAMS ( POLISHED LIP)
RACING BEAT ARB's ( FRONT AND REAR )
IL MOTORSPORTS STRUT BRACE AND ADJUSTABLE
DROPLINKS

Mods planned..
BBR STAGE 2 SUPERCHARGED
WILWOOD 6 POT BBK
FULL UNDRBODY SEAL
ATOTO HEAD UNIT
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Delanor »

Errrr! R3 Reg? :scratch: :scratch:

Del.
kopite72
Club Member
Club Member

Post by kopite72 »

lol Del,just curous as to why youve R3 on the plate thats all

Mods so far..
BBR 200 PACKAGE
COBRA " RACE " BACK BOX
MEISTER COILOVERS
DROPLINKS

Mods planned..
BBR STAGE 2 SUPERCHARGED
WILWOOD 6 POT BBK
FULL UNDRBODY SEAL
ATOTO HEAD UNIT
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Delanor »

Have sorted the ABS & DSC warning lights remaining on after the self check if you have the upper LED brake light fitted with the LED tail lights.

A 10 watt 10 ohm wire wound resistor wired into the upper brake light - not strictly necessary but I knocked up a bit of a heat sink to mount the resistor on as it can get a bit hot if you ever sit with your foot on the brake for a long time.

Del.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These users thanked the author Delanor for the post:
Kevs69 (Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:45 pm)
Delanor
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by Delanor »

kopite72 wrote:lol Del,just curous as to why youve R3 on the plate thats all
Sorry mate I thought you had posted on the wrong thread.

3 reasons why the R3 plate:

1. With the RX-8 you have to REVUM.
2. I thought at one time if I buy another RX-8 it might have been an R3.
3. The plate was cheap. :lol:

Del.
kopite72
Club Member
Club Member

Post by kopite72 »

fair enough :D The private plate thing seems to be big in the UK,AFAIK we dont do it over here,i dont think ive ever seen a private reg :-k

Mods so far..
BBR 200 PACKAGE
COBRA " RACE " BACK BOX
MEISTER COILOVERS
DROPLINKS

Mods planned..
BBR STAGE 2 SUPERCHARGED
WILWOOD 6 POT BBK