Adam's Copper Red Bridgeport Evolve

For you to showcase what you've done to your car and give other members ideas and inspiration.
AdamGaltress
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: Evolve
Colour: Copper Red

Adam's Copper Red Bridgeport Evolve

Post by AdamGaltress »

I've decided to shorten my Project thread so I have copied all of the main parts and rewritten it below for, hopefully, easier reading.

I bought my car off Nutty_Chappie back Summer 2014 after seeing her in his yard whilst I was looking at a PZ. She had 44,000 miles on the clock, CAT D repaired, I agreed to buy the car after the sale of my Corsa went through, only thing is that the keys for her had gone walkies..

Pete, took care of that and replaced all the necessary parts but had to cut open the door in order to get in. As there aren't many copper red parts around he had to stick on a grey door, not to worry, nothing a bit of paint can't sort. Here she is the day I picked her up

I got the car booked in to get the front door resprayed with blending into the wing & rear door etc

In the mean time in needed something to do, so I set about buying some autosol to take care of the exhaust tips and chrome inserts which needed a bit of TLC!

Before

After
Happy days, looking much better! :)

The next thing to do was the headlights, they were looking a bit fogged over so I got the meguiars refurb kit and it brought them back to life!

Before

After

Again I was really pleased with the result! :thumleft:

The Next thing to try and combat was the still unknown substance on the O/S mirror, the glass not heating up and moving at any speed above 30mph

I pulled the glass off which was only held on by some sort of jelly substance round the cables.. one of which was missing, I managed to fish it out and plug it back on, I then stuck the glass back down with double sided tape. Result, the mirror heated up and no longer shook at high speed! :thumleft:

Next thing to sort was the crap on the mirror, I tried all sorts to get rid of this , but whatever it is wouldn't budge and in the end getting a scalpel and sliding it across the glass removed the worst of it but the glass is damaged from whatever mysterious substance was there.

Shortly after this I dropped my car off for the door to be resprayed, it only took a day or two and it looked superb, only issue was I no longer had the B pillar trim on the door as it needed a black backing and the Evolve badge wasn't put back on.

A wee bit of measuring from the other side for reference and I reapplied the badge.
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/08 ... 8f0e09.jpg

I also had a ghetto decat fitted and I was excited when I found out that she spat some flames through the stock exhaust... Video proof below

[youtubewide][/youtubewide]

A few weeks down the line and I saw a few rare items on fleabay, a set of brand new alloy scuff plates and an evolve badge!
I was told that the original plastic scuff plates were held down with awkward double sided tape that would need removing before I put the new ones in, so I was surprised and happy to see that mine were only held in with a few clips

After I removed it I got a load of double sided tape on the new one and put them in place

I also found a place for the evolve badge I got hold of and decided on a place for my Japfest 2 sticker

Unfortunately my car began having issues with a misfire light although she didn't seem to be misfiring.
I got the plugs off and decided that they were probably past their best. I had a set of cheap coils that were given to my by Pete so I put these on for now and they got rid of the misfire light.

The evening before Trax 2014 I got back from work and pulled the DA polisher out for a quick bit of wax on, wax off

Looking loads better now, and does a great job of hiding the scratches too!

Over the weekend at Trax I discovered that none of my towing eye points were any good, the rear one was bent upwards, presumably from an accident as the car is CAT D and the front two were very rusted! Luckily with a bit of help from Ian.M we managed to get a towing eye in a few turns on the front using a lot of WD-40 and force. Whilst at Trax Sophie managed to find a nice set of Nankang dust caps to put on my corroded alloys, these will prove to be an issue when I get to my first Car Limits day in a few months, but more on that later. Here she is at the end of Trax

Not long after Trax I took my car back to Pete to get him to change all the oils and to figure out why the traction control sometimes came on during cruising on the motorway, turns out that my tires have different tread depths so it is causing the traction control to kick in. Looks like a set of new tyres will be needed soon then.

I was also having a few issues changing gears and someone recommended that I checked my engine mounts, I decided that they were probably past their best so got in on a group buy for RX8Performance mounts.

LH

RH

At the end of September I went on an epic road trip round Wales with a few others from the forums thanks to James, I was shocked to see the condition on my R/N/S tyre on the inner edge so I quickly jumped on the net and bought some Vreds for next day delivery in 235/40

They arrived at work so I asked to leave an hour early to get them fitted, luckily I was aloud to go! :mrgreen: luckily while she was up in the air we found a broken spring on the R/N/S. I got this replaced within a few days

When I got home on the same day I found a set of grills for my car had been delivered thanks to Andy 1969, so I pulled the car round to the garage and got a load of lights set up to take the front bumper off. Getting the fog light connectors off was a bit of a pain but once I had that figured the bumper came off quite easily

Bumper off!

Test fitted the bumper back on

All done! :mrgreen:

A few days later I refitted the number plate and painted the grilles a nice silver colour

I decided I liked the colour and wanted to do the side vents and thought it'd be a good excuse to refurb the strakes too, here's the side vents painted and refitted without the strakes

and off the car once I had refurbed the strakes, I made a 'deliberate mistake' when positioning the strakes on the vents, but I sorted this and got them fitted on the car. Looking loads better :thumleft:

A month later BigPete dangled a Cobra exhaust in front of me, so I snapped it up and bought it! It sounded glorious and I had to go for a good drive with it, I decided to tag along to the end of the Midlands meet despite having to travel 100 miles and knowing I would arrive two hours late. I loved every minute of the drive! :lol: And when I got there the sound convinced Shedned that he needed a cobra exhaust too! :lol:

Another month later and the boss was given a toy to play with whilst waiting for a delivery on his new car. I got to have a quick play in it and managed to give him a bit of a scare =D>

The next day I thought I would check out my cabin filters to see if they needed replacing. I was surprised when I opened up the little compartment and found.. well a nest and packing peanuts, that solves the mystery of packing peanuts sometimes randomly appearing in the passenger foot well, appears that a small family of mice have called this home for a while. A wonder that we couldn't smell it! :shock:

Unfortunately it was late at night so I couldn't get any replacements so I emptied them out and gave them a good blast from the air compressor.

A few weeks later was the Midlands run that I had organised where Jim took a few awesome photos below.

and one from the very cold morning after!

Not long after I got some bonnet struts from Nutty_Chappie, the fitting for these didn't go as well as I wanted it to and I ended up just doing a bodge job, but they've held up for almost a year so I don't intend on changing it yet! :lol:

A week after that I received a set of Rotary Revs D585 coils and plugs from the Rotary Revs group buy that I organised

In the new year I had an issue with an intermittent grinding sound whilst breaking, a quick check of the pads and there was still some meat on all of them, but once I took the rear pads off I could see the issue, an uneven wear!

Whilst I was under the car I also found that the rear ARB had snapped, I managed to get a replacement part from Nutty :thumleft:

In February Sophie & I found a new place to rent with matching door and garage, unfortunately the driveway is too thin to get the car in the garage :( Lesson learned for when we look at our next place! :wink:

The night before Car Limits I had an issue with my rear brakes binding, luckily I was just round the corner from home and after the brakes had stopped smoking I limped her home, gave her a couple of minutes to cool whilst getting tools and a friend out to help. We took the brakes apart, pondered on why they binded, put them back together and went for a quick drive, all seemed well which was good because it was almost 1am and I was due to leave in about 4 hours for Essex to get to North Weald. The issues didn't stop there either! Remember those nice red dust caps from Trax, they have now had a whole winter to weld themselves to the valves, which meant that I couldn't partake in the high speed bend! #-o Oh well lesson learned!

Shortly after I decided that my lovely Cobra needed a good clean so I picked up some Killer Chrome and gave the tail pipes a quick go over, looking really good now! :thumleft:

After having a few bits of track tasters during Trax and Car Limits I decided that I needed better tyres and a couple of track days, shortly after these bad boys arrived on the door step 8) Federal 595 RS-R

I got the tyres fitted and a few weeks later gave the car a wash ready for a day at Mallory Park courtesy of Ranjan. Here she is the night before

And on the day

Oh man! What fun! That's me hooked on trackdays now!

Not much happened during the summer as I spent most days at work doing overtime, I had decided that I needed a rebuild and a few other engine mods. Although during this time I did manage to have a little incident with a bird. luckily this came out with a bit of force, as did the bird which was wedged solid under the radiator! Turned out to be a blackbird! 23 more and I'll be making a pie! :lol:

A few weeks later and this arrived thanks to phoenix11
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/m95sQ ... 40-h623-no

Again another few weeks later I found something else to do on one of my few days off in the summer, I got a bit of paint and painted the centre console trim and gear gaiter surround

This only kept me entertained for a while.. I was having issues with my cobra, it had a loose baffle so when another one came up I couldn't resist buying it, and when an AEM CAI in red popped up in the same week I though why the hell not, and got that too!

It didn't take long for me to get these bits fitted either, and I did a bit of rust treatment on the front too!

Not long after I found something else to paint, only small but it's something

A couple of days later I got an OMP adapter and a Stage 2 clutch for my rebuild

And not long after that I got a nice set of shiny coilovers!

On my next day off I got the fronts fitted

And the day after the rears, she sits nice and low now 8)

Whilst fitting these I thought that my Hawk HP+ Pads were wearing nicely so I got myself a set of new pads, this time Mintex 1155 from camskill, these will sit in the garage until I need them

As for now, I have just dropped my car off at Rotary Revs ready for her rebuild and a few other little bits and bobs! :thumright:
Last edited by AdamGaltress on Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AdamGaltress
Events Team & Comms Team

JDM RX-7 FD - Project Thread
Bridgeport Copper Red MazdaSpeed Evolve - Project Thread
- Parted out
Elonexxx
Former Member
Former Member
RX-8: 231
Colour: Sunlight Silver

Re: Adam's Copper Red Evolve

Post by Elonexxx »

AdamGaltress wrote:Image
What was going on with that left tip!

Looking good! Good to meet you at croft back in may :D
- Stuart
AdamGaltress
Former Member
Former Member

Post by AdamGaltress »

The pipe had dropped a bit as the clamp was loose, but also seized! I just pushed it back up every few weeks as I knew I needed a new exhaust anyway! Was good meeting you too! :-)
AdamGaltress
Events Team & Comms Team

- Parted out
Elonexxx
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Elonexxx »

Ah, I'd forgotten the Cobras has removable tips!

How're you finding the coilovers?

I was tempted by the fed's, but I only need two fronts so decided agaisnt it. (Although could have Semis on front and road tyres out back drift style :-k )
- Stuart
AdamGaltress
Former Member
Former Member

Post by AdamGaltress »

They're good, maybe a bit too low at the moment, I can go most places with her, even over speed bumps, the small plastic trim in front of the front wheels catches and she sometimes scrapes when driving on uneven roads at speed or even when there's a dip, I scraped on the way to Rotary Revs on the A1!

As for the feds they're a great tyre, although I have thrashed the rear set at car limits launched and sliding round corners :lol:
AdamGaltress
Events Team & Comms Team

- Parted out
Elonexxx
Former Member
Former Member

Post by Elonexxx »

Mines the same as that!

It's a good useable height I find :wink:

is that done in the wet or dry?

(Feel free to remove these if you think they mess up your build thread :P )
- Stuart
AdamGaltress
Former Member
Former Member

Post by AdamGaltress »

That was in the dry, I was having lots of fun!

And I just wanted to clear down the original thread, thought 20 pages was way too long for how little I've done to her!
AdamGaltress
Events Team & Comms Team

- Parted out
GreySilver Beast
Former Member
Former Member

Adam's Copper Red Evolve

Post by GreySilver Beast »

Your car all looking good Adam =D> =D> =D> =D>
GreySilver Beast-Test Drives Unlimited (Nigel)
Club Member from 2006 - present
Events Team from 2015 - 2024
Events Coordinator from 2017 - 2023
Administrator from 2012 - present RX-8 Owners Club UK
Tesla M3LR AB 363 AWD " Blue Beast "
MadTaz
Club Member
Club Member
RX-8: PZ
Colour: Brilliant Black

Post by MadTaz »

Looking good mate! i think I know what will finish this car off, Hmm Greddy Sump! :P :P
15th year of ownership and still here :)
AdamGaltress
Former Member
Former Member

Post by AdamGaltress »

Haha! Don't you dare Carl! :lol: I have my eye on something else anyway. I'm missing my car already, only been gone 2 days!
AdamGaltress
Events Team & Comms Team

- Parted out
AdamGaltress
Former Member
Former Member

Post by AdamGaltress »

Finally got round to fixing the light up knob that I bought months ago. Turned out to be a faulty resistor, I purchased the wrong size but after a second order I got it soldered on and working in no time :thumleft:
IMG_20151020_170055.jpg
IMG_20151020_170055.jpg (40.67 KiB) Viewed 3386 times
IMG_20151024_221124.jpg
IMG_20151024_221124.jpg (30.39 KiB) Viewed 3386 times
IMG_20151024_224257.jpg
IMG_20151024_224257.jpg (31.78 KiB) Viewed 3386 times
AdamGaltress
Events Team & Comms Team

- Parted out
GreySilver Beast
Former Member
Former Member

Adam's Copper Red Evolve

Good stuff Adam :thumleft:
Nintendologist
Former Member
Former Member
Colour: Phantom Blue

Post by Nintendologist »

Nice work, Adam!

Seeing your painted gear gaiter and centre console trim has given me ideas about mine =P~ Time to fire up photoshop and see if it'll look any good...
Nov 2007 - May 2010: Galaxy Grey PZ (Parking sensors, Cruise control)

October 2015 - : Phantom Blue Evolve (D585 coils/Magnecor leads, Galtress 'Halo' LED headlights, resprayed alloys, hoop spoiler, Lockwood grilles all round, dropped numberplate, 13 Black ECU mini map, custom Nexus install, 20mm H&R spacers, Cobrasport cat back exhaust)
AdamGaltress
Former Member
Former Member

Post by AdamGaltress »

I've got a spare set of rear lights lying round which aren't in great nick, so thought I would play round with a rear halo light which I found on the US site. If I were to do this I would use a slightly bigger ring for the lights so that it is on the outer edge of the reflector.
IMG_20151127_204244.jpg
IMG_20151127_204244.jpg (53 KiB) Viewed 3267 times
IMG_20151127_204334.jpg
IMG_20151127_204334.jpg (151.75 KiB) Viewed 3267 times
It was quite a process as the lense isn't glued and won't come off so I had to use the dremel to cut it off, not sure how well it would seal up. Only one way to find out..
IMG_20151127_204508.jpg
IMG_20151127_204508.jpg (129.64 KiB) Viewed 3267 times
IMG_20151127_204529.jpg
IMG_20151127_204529.jpg (113.83 KiB) Viewed 3267 times
Need to get my hands on some headlights now :lol:
AdamGaltress
Events Team & Comms Team

- Parted out
GreySilver Beast
Former Member
Former Member

Adam's Copper Red Evolve

That's a great looking little idea Adam =D> =D> =D> =D>
AdamGaltress
Former Member
Former Member

Post by AdamGaltress »

I got some headlights off Nutty_Chappie this morning, seperated and measured, halo light ordered along with an assortment of sizes for me to play with on the rear lights and some LEDs for the sidelights :D
IMG_20151128_160341.jpg
IMG_20151128_160341.jpg (181.67 KiB) Viewed 3237 times
AdamGaltress
Events Team & Comms Team

- Parted out
AdamGaltress
Former Member
Former Member

Post by AdamGaltress »

Waiting on some epoxy to glue these into position now. The lense could do with a decent polish too, Otherwise I'm pretty pleased! :mrgreen:
IMG_20151202_213647.jpg
IMG_20151202_213647.jpg (61.78 KiB) Viewed 3186 times
AdamGaltress
Events Team & Comms Team

- Parted out
Keke
Club Member
Club Member
Colour: Titanium Grey

Post by Keke »

Slick work,
These users thanked the author Keke for the post:
AdamGaltress (Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:34 pm)
Shagrington
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
RX-8: 192

Post by Shagrington »

Good job done there Adam. =D>
These users thanked the author Shagrington for the post:
AdamGaltress (Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:10 am)
'Grington.
former Club Treasurer 2010-18 (now finally retired) \:D/
Silver 192 green interior LEDS, Nordic Green hoop spoiler, roof inserts and wheels Silver Stripes (now finally retired) :cry:
AdamGaltress
Former Member
Former Member

Post by AdamGaltress »

Both lights all wired up and ready to be plugged in 8)
IMG_20151204_184117.jpg
IMG_20151204_184117.jpg (141.03 KiB) Viewed 3111 times
IMG_20151204_184042.jpg
IMG_20151204_184042.jpg (113.92 KiB) Viewed 3111 times
AdamGaltress
Events Team & Comms Team

- Parted out
GreySilver Beast
Former Member
Former Member

Adam's Copper Red Evolve

They look good Adam =D> =D> =D> =D>
AdamGaltress
Former Member
Former Member

Post by AdamGaltress »

Thanks Nigel, these ones will be going to a fellow member from the forums. I've already got a few more halo rings on order so I can produce some more :)
AdamGaltress
Events Team & Comms Team

- Parted out
RickyG512
Former Member
Former Member
Location: Croydon/ Kingston/ Heathrow/ M25 South and West Sides

Post by RickyG512 »

I'm 100% interested in buying front and rear lights from you with the angel eyes, pm when ready adam
Car Bought With Black Wheels, Black Windows, Petit/Miltek Full Exhaust System, High Power Start Motor

Have done - 1. All RED interior lights + LED side lights 2. Red D585 coils, 3. Fit a big spoiler which requires respray, 4. K&N air and oil filter, 5. 10W40 fuchs XTR, 4. Imitation shark fin GPS glued on the roof lol 5. Red hammerite brakes

To Do List - 1. Sohn Adapter, 2. LED fog lights
AdamGaltress
Former Member
Former Member

Post by AdamGaltress »

The rear lights are a little trickier as the lense is bonded on so has to be cut off. I'm still playing around with it at the moment as I'm not sure how well the lense can be resealed or if the cut will be easily seen on the car. But I will be sure to post updates about it as it develops.

As for the headlights, I've got another member coming round tomorrow to have these lights fitted to his car, I want to make sure that everything goes well with fitting and get a few pictures. Then I will start up a for sale thread :thumleft:
AdamGaltress
Events Team & Comms Team

- Parted out
RickyG512
Former Member
Former Member
Location: Croydon/ Kingston/ Heathrow/ M25 South and West Sides

Post by RickyG512 »

Kk can I be next in line or very high up your list lol [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY][FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]
Car Bought With Black Wheels, Black Windows, Petit/Miltek Full Exhaust System, High Power Start Motor

Have done - 1. All RED interior lights + LED side lights 2. Red D585 coils, 3. Fit a big spoiler which requires respray, 4. K&N air and oil filter, 5. 10W40 fuchs XTR, 4. Imitation shark fin GPS glued on the roof lol 5. Red hammerite brakes

To Do List - 1. Sohn Adapter, 2. LED fog lights

Return to “Personal Car Projects and Mods”